Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 163

Author Topic: War Thunder. Casual Dogfighting MMO.  (Read 211139 times)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Re: War Thunder. Casual Dogfighting MMO.
« Reply #90 on: July 03, 2013, 05:57:14 pm »

I'm just using arcade to get the hang of things.
Shoes...

Chosrau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 03, 2013, 06:03:23 pm »

If you find your controls locking up when diving on an enemy, throttle your engine and lower your flaps when starting your dive. Most if the time this keeps your speed down enough to control your plane(or not break apart in Historical).

ukulele

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 03, 2013, 06:14:56 pm »

I think the problem with the He112 its that it locks at 400km/h or something like that, a few patches ago it was regarded as the worst plane in the game, but i think it got some kind of buff recently i dont know to be honest. Also if you want to "dogfight" the ju87 is decent in arcade if you have acces to the 2x20mm variant. Again most of what you can do as a german before level 6 depends more on the badness of your enemy than of your aircraft.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 03, 2013, 07:05:52 pm »

Yeah, I've been dicking around in the reserve planes and Marcolin's, might take longer but at least I can enjoy myself.  About half a rank to the BF-109.

More questions!

Does the Ju-87 have the historical dive brake or am I gonna have to just use the regular air brake and dive myself? 

Is it good in historical battles?  I figure it probably is but may as well get an opinion.  Obviously I wouldn't be trying to dogfight or anything.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 07:23:16 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

ukulele

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 03, 2013, 07:45:52 pm »

The stukas have the air break and some other dive bombers do too, i think its bound to H by default. Also, Stukas are horrible, they are barely ok on arcade and a troll plane with the 2x37mm, but their usefullness its really low. In Historical you want one of 3 things for a bomber: speed, bomb load or toughness. The stuka lacks all of them. Almost no one plays bombers on historical, the fact that you dont have the magical air reload makes them a little underwelming, attackers on the other hand can be used to good effect.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 07:51:07 pm by ukulele »

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 03, 2013, 08:17:20 pm »

:c

Hmmm, how does crew qualification work?  Do I lose anything significant from training my crews in new vehicles, aside from the cost?
Shoes...

ansontan2000

• Bay Watcher
  • I am a Poro. Fear me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 03, 2013, 08:21:09 pm »

Nope.

Protip for crew training, you'll want to train all your pilot skills and reload skills on fighters, exclusively reload on bombers with some investment into gunners. Don't even bother with training a fighter in gunner skills, it's been proven too be completely useless.

The He-112s are really the black sheep of the Germans. Get one into a dogfight. You will not regret it.
Edit: To clarify,get the A-0 at rank 3 or the B-0 at rank 4. Those things get 20mm cannons which will wreak havoc on heavy fighters and unsuspecting bombers.

Hurricane Mk2s get rockets, which are hilariously fun against stuff like Catalinas and in a head on pass.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 08:23:50 pm by ansontan2000 »
When a soldier makes a mistake, one man dies.
When a captain makes a mistake, a dozen men die.
When a commander makes a mistake, a thousand men die.
When an emperor makes a mistake, well, there is a game save for retry.

ukulele

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 03, 2013, 08:35:58 pm »

Also dont train reload if you are planing to play historical batlles, it only really afects your magic air reload.

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 04, 2013, 01:22:11 am »

But the reload does help with the speed that you reload on the ground, but Japanese is decent...the H6K3 is a bit crazy for a tier 3...granted I haven't looked too much at others, but this is the first plane I started doing really well with
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."

Spaghetti7

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam ID: wavy shapes dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 04, 2013, 02:19:08 am »

The He-112s are really the black sheep of the Germans. Get one into a dogfight. You will not regret it.
I'm yet to win a dogfight in any plane against the 112. I hate it so much.

Bthe H6K3 is a bit crazy for a tier 3
Imagine having it as the last plane standing in a match against a few MkI Hurricanes, each sacrificing themselves to it as it flies around a friendly carrier. Yes, it is very crazy.
That's nothing. I had something mate with a pile of dead meat.

ukulele

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: July 04, 2013, 10:12:00 am »

Reloading in 30 secs or 20 doesnt change a thing when most of the time is wasted returning to base and going back to battle. Also im really curious about the "vitality" stat, will it prevent the death of my pilot if he is hited with a 50 cal or a 20mm?

ansontan2000

• Bay Watcher
  • I am a Poro. Fear me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 04, 2013, 10:31:08 am »

In my experience, the vitality skill does make your gunners more durable, and they tend to be knocked unconscious much less often. However, the pilot getting hit by a 20mm shell tends to mean you're f*cked either way, so IMHO at higher tiers where you're dealing with 20mm, 30mm, and 37mm that is just isn't worth the investment.
When a soldier makes a mistake, one man dies.
When a captain makes a mistake, a dozen men die.
When a commander makes a mistake, a thousand men die.
When an emperor makes a mistake, well, there is a game save for retry.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 04, 2013, 10:33:13 am »

I got my 109.  It's beautiful.  You're right, with the candyland physics it's pretty tough to BNZ in arcade mode but the basics are still there, just gotta worry about dudes in spitfires and shit chasing you all the way up.

I'd like to see a mode with historical physics but arcade ammo and respawning.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 10:47:55 am by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 04, 2013, 10:59:37 am »

well...now i'm just annoyed at the game now since in tier 5+ the 37mm cannon will 1 shot even a heavy bomber...i'd be tempted to try historical battles...but queing for one is next to imposible
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 04, 2013, 11:06:57 am »

Just ready up for one and do something else. You get used to it if you play HB. And even if you miss the start and jump in a little late it's not usually a huge deal. HBs tend to last a little longer than arcade battles.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 163