Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 163

Author Topic: War Thunder. Casual Dogfighting MMO.  (Read 210716 times)

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
Re: War Thunder. Casual Dogfighting MMO.
« Reply #825 on: December 27, 2013, 11:56:32 pm »

The Russian biplanes are glass cannons, definitely. They've never been able to take a hit, and that fact's pretty much the only reason they're beatable at all.
Nothing important here, move along.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #826 on: December 28, 2013, 05:04:23 am »

Aaaand a task that I can't do for the russian bomber ! oh well, see the next one.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #827 on: December 28, 2013, 05:34:14 am »

So what's up with the daily patches??

It's not much trouble since I have flat rate now but it's kinda annoying having to download something every time I fire up the game.

Also unlocked my first tier 2. And it's pretty much exactly the same like the not so great two planes before it, really sucks that I have to grind out another another plane to see a real change in the armaments (talking about the Stukas).
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #828 on: December 28, 2013, 06:07:16 am »

The Russian biplanes are glass cannons, definitely. They've never been able to take a hit, and that fact's pretty much the only reason they're beatable at all.

But aren't ALL biplanes made out of glass?

It's not much trouble since I have flat rate now but it's kinda annoying having to download something every time I fire up the game.

Also unlocked my first tier 2. And it's pretty much exactly the same like the not so great two planes before it, really sucks that I have to grind out another another plane to see a real change in the armaments (talking about the Stukas).

Stukas don't really change at all with the exeption for the ones with 37 cannnons and the moment you unlock the 75 mm gun monster.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #829 on: December 28, 2013, 08:26:58 am »

You playing germany ?

Well, the first tiers are just painful. Good tier II's are the Ju88, the Ju87D5 (more like the less painful of the Stukas), the first S79 (unlocking more is a waste of time unless you really love bombers), the Dorniers (difficult plane, but rewarding if you master it) and the first BF.

Just saying than the Ju87G's are masochistic planes. Sure they have holyshitawesome firepower, but difficult to hit a bogey, unreliable guns, can't climb at all, bleed energy like an open nuclear reactor... herp.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #830 on: December 28, 2013, 09:21:57 am »

But aren't ALL biplanes made out of glass?

Yes, which is why all the other biplanes suck pretty badly.
Nothing important here, move along.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #831 on: December 28, 2013, 10:15:29 am »

I just noticed something funky... ALL of my american reserve aircraft are almost fully upgraded.
They only lack MG Ammo, New MGs and the tier IV engine upgrade.

I could assume i got hacked by someone who apparently likes to fly borrowed american reserve planes but no... all the crews are lvl 1 with 0 free crew points.

EDIT: Probably one of my better games.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I got 1790 research points for the plane i was flying since it wasn't even fully upgraded yet.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2013, 11:46:08 am by Sonlirain »
Self promotion below.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #832 on: December 28, 2013, 10:54:32 am »

Strange.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #833 on: December 28, 2013, 11:40:33 am »

It never fails to depress me. 2 air kills and 8 ground kills in an SBD of all things IN REALISTIC MODE... and I get 121 vehicle research.

At least I finished up that side of the daily quest for a probably terrible premium plane. Now to see if it's feasable to get myself a pe-2 before the end of the day

RexMundi

• Bay Watcher
  • New and Improved!
    • View Profile
    • Steam profile
« Reply #834 on: December 28, 2013, 01:03:59 pm »

downloaded the game on steam. anything for a noob to know?

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #835 on: December 28, 2013, 01:13:55 pm »

developers are Russian. There's a slight bias.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #836 on: December 28, 2013, 02:15:43 pm »

Play as russians to save yourself the trouble.
Germans get ok when tey hit tier 2-3 planes (mostly BF109) but otherwise RUSSIANS dominate EVERYTHING.
Also russians and americans are among the only nations with a proper tier 5 aircraft lineup so unless you want to fight MIG15s and Sabres (Korean war aircraft) in a ME262 or Komet (WW2 aircraft) as your endgame then be my guest and play germans.
Self promotion below.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #837 on: December 28, 2013, 02:35:59 pm »

uninstall the game, it's not worth playing as is unless you're already heavily invested into it or just have no desire to progress past biplanes ever.

Otherwise, look up some real fighter tactics, but if you're like me they won't make much sense just looking at the drawings. Still after months of playing, I started realizing that without really realizing it, I was using those same tactics I'd read about. If you can translate the drawings into action, go for it, otherwise just hope that maybe it'll prod your subconscious into doing the right thing. Also watch videos of better players on youtube and don't be in a huge rush to leave a game you've lost if you can find someone good on your team to watch and take notes from.

Finally, don't forget that the game does work in 3 dimensions. It's rarely a good idea to get into a horizontal turn fight, I've found. If you need to make a change in direction, turn some of that speed into altitude and then come out of the climb going in the different direction. This is called an immelman and is much more efficient than if you simply bled the speed off in a horizontal turn without gaining any altitude. Altitude = Energy = Speed. There's some inefficiency in the transition between one and another, but it's always better to avoid wasting any of them if you can help it.

EDIT: UGH... 10 air kills in arcade and I wasn't even seal clubbing. Tier 2 and 3 british planes, and before you ask, only 2 of those were with a beaufighter. By most measures an amazing game. 1400 Vehicle RP at 94% efficiency... By most measures except Gaijin's
« Last Edit: December 28, 2013, 03:58:21 pm by sluissa »

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #838 on: December 29, 2013, 08:45:18 am »

Grinding for the H6K is pretty painful. The jap biplanes can't do anything else than firing at ground targets.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #839 on: December 29, 2013, 08:49:26 am »

Meh, the new progression system is slightly unbalanced anyway.
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 163