Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 163

Author Topic: War Thunder. Casual Dogfighting MMO.  (Read 211167 times)

Spaghetti7

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam ID: wavy shapes dude
    • View Profile
Re: War Thunder. Casual Dogfighting MMO.
« Reply #60 on: July 02, 2013, 10:53:23 am »

I've been meaning to download this for a while, so when I get around to it and to a respectable tier in anything I'd be happy to fly around with you guys. I'd also prefer historical, but whatever'll work.
That's nothing. I had something mate with a pile of dead meat.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 02, 2013, 04:01:55 pm »

I'm downloading it, not much else to do.  How's the damage model?  Bullet holes in my plane?  Corresponding to the actual impact locations?  Knocked off rudders and ailerons fucking up my maneuverability?  I can't really enjoy combat plane games without realistic damage modeling.
Shoes...

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 02, 2013, 04:04:19 pm »

Haven't played it in a while, but from my understanding there is locational damage. It didn't seem as detailed as what I saw in Rise of Flight but it's there.

ukulele

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 02, 2013, 05:09:01 pm »

I'm downloading it, not much else to do.  How's the damage model?  Bullet holes in my plane?  Corresponding to the actual impact locations?  Knocked off rudders and ailerons fucking up my maneuverability?  I can't really enjoy combat plane games without realistic damage modeling.
I know each bullet is simulated individually and that damage is calculated on that basis, its not an HP system. You can lose rudders and ailerons, sufer damage to control surfaces or lose it all together, holes in the wings alter the lift acordingly its basically a simulator. On the other hand im not sure about the "each bullet does its hole" graphical thing.

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 02, 2013, 05:15:01 pm »

Bullet holes in my plane?
Yes.
Corresponding to the actual impact locations?
No, when an area gets hit enough/in the right spot it'll change model and texture to one with holes and such. Where you hit is still important for damaging individual components (fuel tanks and such).
Knocked off rudders and ailerons fucking up my maneuverability?
Yes, damaged wings will make turning a lot harder too.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 02, 2013, 06:33:45 pm »

In some cases, the game will consider your plane 'flyable' but it will be beyond your ability to fly because you can no longer turn or control your plane enough to not crash.

It is a bit of reassurance that if you put enough holes in the enemy plane, it will die, but at the same time each bullet striking you makes you that much less combat effective.
Nothing important here, move along.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 02, 2013, 06:58:00 pm »

Just had my first round, pretty fun but also pretty easy.  It was arcade mode, the other team didn't really do anything.
Shoes...

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 02, 2013, 07:02:00 pm »

I found the game fairly boring at first, you only do one mission: one team's arty lined up against the other team's tanks in a fairly open field.

Later on the missions get more interesting, just need to get out of those biplanes =p

ukulele

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 02, 2013, 07:12:35 pm »

If you have some sort of simulator background then i sugest you move to historical, keep in mind most nations dont have decent planes to fly in that enviroment until level 7, but some do.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 02, 2013, 07:13:24 pm »

I guess I should've expected Pub Syndrome.  Lost two of my planes last round to people just flying straight at me guns blazing.  Fool me once, shame on you.  Fool me... You can't get fooled again!
Shoes...

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 02, 2013, 07:20:00 pm »

Meet the new boss
Same as the old boss

Also, I just want to mention that I've tried energy fighting a few people on many occasions, and it seems they can just pull up from under me and get behind me without losing any speed from gaining 500 meters altitude and turning around. What the hell.... I didn't think that's how planes worked.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 02, 2013, 07:32:13 pm »

Speaking of which, are there more controls than the mouse in arcade mode?  It seems to be automatically keeping me on a very smooth and gentle course which  doesn't befit my maverick sensibilities.  Sometimes you just gotta yank that joystick and if your wings come off they weren't cool enough to hang out with you anyway.

I also can't figure out how to use my rudder to turn.
Shoes...

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 02, 2013, 07:36:10 pm »

There's other control methods, including using a joystick, using a sort of strange method where the plane will kinda do what your mouse does, the default, and a strange attempt to get the mouse acting like a joystick.

Also, in reality, you're not supposed to use your rudder to turn but arcade doesn't penalize you for it anyways. I usually tap A or D to get my plane in the direction I want to turn beforehand, though I don't know how effective it really is, just seems wrong to do it otherwise.

ukulele

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 02, 2013, 09:12:03 pm »

Also, I just want to mention that I've tried energy fighting a few people on many occasions, and it seems they can just pull up from under me and get behind me without losing any speed from gaining 500 meters altitude and turning around. What the hell.... I didn't think that's how planes worked.
Thats why i tell people Historical battles are better, you can still play with a mouse+kb while adding a layer of strategy and reducing the bullshit factor.

Also the "mouse only" mode also has keyboard controls to fine tune certain aspects, Q and E are rudder, A and D is roll, and i dont know the default keys to pitch up/down but those are a must, F is flaps but i recomend using the "up/down" button becose being able to use landing flaps is sometimes usefull.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 02, 2013, 09:16:45 pm »

Up and down arrow keys are default elevation controls, but I haven't found a use for the rudder or elevation when the game does a decent enough job with the default 'plane goes where mouse cursor dictates' mode.

Also, trying to use ailerons and elevation to turn in that mode doesn't really work since the plane is trying to constantly move back to where the mouse cursor is pointing, your mileage may vary.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 163