Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 163

Author Topic: War Thunder. Casual Dogfighting MMO.  (Read 211170 times)

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: War Thunder. Casual Dogfighting MMO.
« Reply #45 on: April 22, 2013, 11:32:15 am »

The British had better planes than the Hellcat during WWII? This is news to me. (Probably because I am only familiar with the planes in the pacific front of WWII, not the european front)
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Vactor

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^ DF 1.0 ^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 22, 2013, 11:37:14 am »

One big thing I noticed regarding xp/credit rewards, is that various planes give you different modifiers, IE my Japanese medium bomber gives 150% rewards, while the reserve fighters give you 10%.  That said, the max repair cost of the bomber is 8k credits. or 2 days of waiting for a free repair. 

This also appears to apply to crew training rates, as my bomber crew has 130 points waiting to be put into additional gunners, while my fighter slots are still around crew level 20 or so.  I'm thinking it might be a valid strategy to use a bomber to level up each crew slot early on.
Wreck of Theseus: My 2D Roguelite Mech Platformer
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=141525.0

My AT-ST spore creature http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0btwvL9CNlA

Bikari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 22, 2013, 12:20:17 pm »

The spitfire is generally considered one of the ultimate world war II fighters due to it's role in the battle of britain and how easily an experienced pilot could outmaneuver german fighters. Operational range of 390 miles, speeds of 460mph, and an armament of 4 20mm hispano cannons. It was a deadly little fighter and many considered it superior to the hellcat as an interceptor, it's still an ongoing argument as well but specifications suggest that the supermarine spitfire was the superior fighter.

Planes like the bombers don't get as many kills or damage out as a fighter might so their experience and credit rewards are higher, in my hurricane I can easily fire it's rockets across a column of armored cars for 5-6 ground kills before pulling up into an air to air for a few air kills, by the time a bomber has reached the ground targets and lining a bomb sight I've already wrecked a column, generally, bombers are the planes that crack pillboxes because only 250lb bombs can really damage them. Then they kind of hover around until they see another ground target, bomb the airfield a little, or wait for someone to shoot them down.

Personally, I prefer using a beaufighter for attacking ground targets because it can just as easily destroy fighters as it can destroy ground.

One such example of the beaufighter, spitfire and hurricane as fighters :3

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Note though, my experience is tied entirely into Britain's tech tree, put me in an american fighter/ground attack and I would suck until I got used to their capabilities >:

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 22, 2013, 12:22:45 pm »

Worth noting: Increase your gunners - the tail gunner on a bomber, with proper upgrades, will shred enemy fighters without you having to do anything.

Bikari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 22, 2013, 12:28:42 pm »

For those interested when I have time I can add a few / all and run a couple of squads into some arcade matches. I spend half my time ingame showing friends how they can get the most out of their planes anyway :3 will be fun to drag along some bay12 for the ride

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 22, 2013, 01:10:55 pm »

I didn't originally have much good to say about this game, but having given it another try recently and finally breaking down and using mouse aim, I will say I'm very much enjoying war thunder. World of Warplanes used to have my loyalty, but given the new control possibilities with the mouse and the fact that WoWP's mouse aim is still very much lacking, for now, I"ll be sticking with War Thunder, even if I think they still could use quite a bit of work as well and their pricing is way off.

Nelia Hawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 22, 2013, 01:32:53 pm »

I stopped a while ago. The launcher/updater (whenever it downloads an update) seems to DoS my internet connection. I don't understand why a game developer would want to do such a thing.

had the same problem and i just gave up on playing this.

but i saw this game on steam greenlight... so maybe installing it over steam once it comes out on there will work better than their wonky launcher.
(but i doubt i will play it much anyways, because neverwinter online goes open beta next week and i am more interested in that.
but who knows how war thunder ends up in a bunch of months if they manage to get tanks and ships into it too.)

ukulele

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 08, 2013, 10:34:06 pm »

*Uses his wand of Necromastery +3*

So is anyone still playing this, playing germans in historicall battles, almost got my Fw190A5. Surprisingly even with a mouse historical battles its a great deal better than arcade.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 08, 2013, 10:36:36 pm »

I'm still playing somewhat regularly. I only rarely play historical battles, simply because of the time it takes to find a game. I do enjoy those quite a bit, but for quick and regular action I just go with arcade.

Mono124

• Bay Watcher
  • Into the abyss you go!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 10, 2013, 06:24:10 pm »

I actually am downloading this now... but I have no clue what to set my settings at. I have found almost nothing about the system requirements for this game.
Collin Quay- [145.9]-broadcasts: As a professional doctor, I have to say, dodge the fucking meteors or you will die.

ukulele

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 10, 2013, 08:43:24 pm »

I dont know how good your pc is, but for what i understand its preatty well optimized. I have an amd athlon 640, hd6850 and 4gb ram, and i can run it on high at 60fps

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 25, 2013, 06:21:42 am »

Anyone want to squad up? My in-game name is Elsior. I am only level 6 in UK, USSR, and US tree though. My fave is UK, Spitfire and Beaufighters are da bombz.
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 02, 2013, 07:04:43 am »

Just found the video below showcasing the ground units in War Thunder.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8YlDm7uvvw

These are placeholder model, but they have more details than the tanks in World of Tanks. There's also a video showcasing the ships.

The more I follow this game, the more certain I am sure this is a World of XXX killer.
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

kingfisher1112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 02, 2013, 07:38:28 am »

Just found the video below showcasing the ground units in War Thunder.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8YlDm7uvvw

These are placeholder model, but they have more details than the tanks in World of Tanks. There's also a video showcasing the ships.

The more I follow this game, the more certain I am sure this is a World of XXX killer.
Meh, I don't know. I think that it'll run into WoWPs problem of Wargaming not knowing how to make an aircraft game. Gaijin may fall into the same trap.
Also, I'd love to squad up with someone. Low-tier Americans and mid tier Brits for me.
I honestly thought this was going to be about veterinarians.
Ermey: 26/4/13

ukulele

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 02, 2013, 10:33:14 am »

Im ukulele87 ingame, im levels:6 american, 11 german, 5 russian, 4 british, 3 japanese. I guess i would really prefer flying in historical battles but arcade will do.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 163