Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 163

Author Topic: War Thunder. Casual Dogfighting MMO.  (Read 211085 times)

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
Re: War Thunder. Casual Dogfighting MMO.
« Reply #270 on: August 10, 2013, 07:41:37 am »

Let's make tomorrow Bay12 War Thunder day! Everyone try to be around and join in on the fun!

I just flew with Chosrau and we single-handedly won a match by bombing the enemy's airfield while everyone else was busy LOSING.

Huzzah! Go H6K Emily!

Mistercheif

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: August 10, 2013, 10:50:17 am »

I'll be on tomorrow (whether tomorrow is referring to today, Saturday, or tomorrow, Sunday).

EDIT: My in-game name is Mistercheif
« Last Edit: August 10, 2013, 11:05:04 am by Mistercheif »

Chosrau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: August 10, 2013, 11:16:23 am »

I just flew with Chosrau and we single-handedly won a match by bombing the enemy's airfield while everyone else was busy LOSING.

Funniest part was when we hit those trying to repair with our bombs.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: August 11, 2013, 03:00:11 am »

I'm in as Scheb, if you wanna add me.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Silent_Thunder

• Bay Watcher
  • World Heavyweight Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: August 11, 2013, 05:39:49 am »

I'm Silent_Thunder ingame if you want to add me.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: August 11, 2013, 07:46:10 am »

In as Flying Dice, to join the bandwagon.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: August 11, 2013, 07:47:05 am »

I've added everyone in-game that's mentioned this so far, but I got some visits today. I'll be on later, like afternoon/evening GMT or so!

kingfisher1112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: August 11, 2013, 07:54:43 am »

Shit. I don't get to play with you guys.... I'm sorry I wasn't able to today.
I honestly thought this was going to be about veterinarians.
Ermey: 26/4/13

ukulele

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: August 11, 2013, 11:01:32 am »

ukulele87 over here, but iv got to vote and the the international finals today! so i dont know if ill make it.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: August 11, 2013, 08:19:01 pm »

I picked this game up a few days ago and gave it a spin, it's been pretty fun. I love skimming over the enemies' lines shooting them up and bombing them (though I learnt the hard way that while being closer to the ground gets you better accuracy on bombs, if you're too close you may get damaged by the explosion, even if you're moving very quickly).

I also had a bit of an epic game where I deployed as the last person in the sky surrounded by enemies and racked up 5 or 6 kills in quick succession through really accurate shooting at people that were trying to head right for me (then both my wings got shot out by a plane coming from the side).

Incidentally if you find yourself in a face off situation where you and another plane are heading right for each other, try to zoom in and aim for the cockpit, and start firing before they come into range, with a bit of luck you can critical hit them out before they get a hit in on you.

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: August 12, 2013, 07:54:30 am »

This looks very interesting... sadly time is the limiting factor here. MMOs tend to have a time-draining effect, stealing gaming time from all your other games, particularly so when your gaming time is not a lot to begin with.

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: August 12, 2013, 08:03:22 am »

Planning to get back to this once I get less busy with work and study. Name is Elsior.
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: August 12, 2013, 08:08:37 am »

I just reinstalled. Name is timferius. Whats up with the repair option on the weapons screen? I can fly without it.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: August 12, 2013, 08:48:17 am »

This looks very interesting... sadly time is the limiting factor here. MMOs tend to have a time-draining effect, stealing gaming time from all your other games, particularly so when your gaming time is not a lot to begin with.

No need to worry about that here. An arcade match takes about 10-15m! That's it! It's super fast, and it's more about the gameplay itself than it is about the meta-game levelling and stuff. It's nice to get to a new level with whatever faction, and unlocking more planes, but you can and will enjoy yourself without that. The matchmaking is pretty solid, as far as I can tell, so you'll never be at a big disadvantage.

The interesting thing is that a lot of the real air combat theory still applies to the arcade version. This is even more evident since most people are unaware of this, and make very easy opponents. Here's a few tips:
- Speed is life. Stay faster.
- Altitude is life. Stay higher.
- Energy = speed + altitude is life. Stay higher and faster!
- Maintain situational awareness (SA): know where the enemies and friendlies are, how high, how fast, closing at what rate.
- Never go in alone.
- If there's a single enemy being chased by at least 3 of your friends, don't bother going chasing. You'll loose energy with little probability of getting a kill.
- If there's a "plane train", before you get behind the last enemy LOOK AROUND. Your SA should tell you whether it's safe. If there's an enemy at under 4km and closing, reevaluate your options.
- Slowly get to know the planes. Know those you can outturn and those you can outrun. If you can't outturn the enemy in safety (no enemies around, SA!), don't burn energy by trying to. You'll significantly reduce your chances of escape.
- Help your friends: there's nothing as frustrating as managing to evade enemy fire, dragging the pursuer back to base, and all of your friends ignoring you so that you get shot down nonetheless. If you save that guy, that's 2 points in your favour: one friendly that didn't die and one enemy that got shot down.

At first, no need to bother with all this. Just go in and see how the planes handle, have fun, shoot down things, unlock other things, be happy. But these are important points :)

Mistercheif

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: August 12, 2013, 09:06:00 am »

I just reinstalled. Name is timferius. Whats up with the repair option on the weapons screen? I can fly without it.
Every plane has a certain number of free repairs, that will be used regardless of whether you have auto-repair ticked or not.  Once those are up, you have to manually repair with lions, or wait for it to repair with the repair skill.

And reserve planes always have free repairs.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 163