Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 146 147 [148] 149 150 ... 163

Author Topic: War Thunder. Casual Dogfighting MMO.  (Read 210675 times)

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: War Thunder. Casual Dogfighting MMO.
« Reply #2205 on: April 01, 2015, 10:52:43 am »

Gaijin is taking quite a stab at World of tanks with it's april fools event.

It's a knife fight, they're stabbing at each other. WoT is making fun of WT's arty mechanic, by introducing their "suitcase tokens"

Lots of hostility between the two companies lately.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2206 on: April 01, 2015, 11:23:19 am »

Mechwarrior Thunder = FUCK YES. Don't care if it is unrealistic.

The sad thing is that I was typically oneshotting them with a normal tank, and that there seemed to be a bug with the quicker firing gun, inthat it fired five times and quit firing again.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2207 on: April 02, 2015, 06:00:16 am »

Also I don't like the artillery mechanic and I think it should be removed. Far too much frustration from the other side, especially when you are immobilized.

If you play planes you CAN serve as "artillery" but it noticeably weakens your plane's stats, so it is balanced. In tanks you get these magic artillery markers.

also tier II germany feels like you have no armor at all. I know i'm rather n00bish when it comes to tanks but getting oneshot by murricans far too often ?

I have had a taste of tier II german tanks with this walker event and I wonder if the second StuG is worth playing. I mean yes you penetrate anything and everything but...

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2208 on: April 02, 2015, 08:18:44 am »

I never had problems with artillery. Okay, might be annoying when you're immobilized, but by that point I'm either dwath anyway, or the artillery ends up being mostly harmless.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2209 on: April 02, 2015, 08:29:23 am »

Yes germans don't have armor at all. The first tank with some actual effective armor you'll get is the panther but even this gets penned by merican high velocity rounds.
Your best bet i a Panzer 3 is flanking. Also you get the PZ IV with hte good 75 mm gun you can use to attack people at great distances... again it has little to no armor so one shot coming from anywhere will end your adventure.

You are best off abusing artillery strikes. They may be useless individually but if you stack enough of them in one spot they can do some actual damage.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

ukulele

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2210 on: April 02, 2015, 09:57:21 am »

The only way to play tanks, specialy germans its to play simulator, the instant spotting is a nightmare when 1 hit kills you and you cant pen the front of your enemy on 90% of the cases.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 10:11:47 am by ukulele »

RexMundi

• Bay Watcher
  • New and Improved!
    • View Profile
    • Steam profile
« Reply #2211 on: April 02, 2015, 10:57:24 am »

Hi guys, realized i should come here for this. My dad got a new graphics card, and it came with a $50 in warthunder money, eagles i think? anyway, in game premium moneys. He plays WoT and won't touch Warthunder, so is looking to trade for.. something, he wasn't too specific on what he wanted other then maybe a game.
Anyway, i can pass an offer to him if someone wants to bite.

Ant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2212 on: April 02, 2015, 11:12:03 am »

Actually now that RB has removed enemy indicators it's far more fun with german tanks. Sure, the T2 germans are eggshells by any other name in comparison to russkies and americans, but at least you'll have decent possibility of sniping with L43s decently flat trajectory. The ever-present mixed org is actually a blessing now, as you'll get other nations to brawl for you, no need to risk your butt unless really pressed. Sad thing is that hit detection is still crap- expect frontal pens (which are death to ger tanks all round) even when all you are exposing is your front wheel around the corner :P

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2213 on: April 02, 2015, 11:34:12 am »

You are best off abusing artillery strikes. They may be useless individually but if you stack enough of them in one spot they can do some actual damage.
No stacking in realistic. Also no aimbot, which means that good armor isn't that important anymore.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2214 on: April 02, 2015, 09:30:28 pm »

Just had a game where the same T-34 oneshot my PZ4 3 times in a row.
I'd play realistic more but i just hate waiting for minutes in queue.

Oh well i still need to win some more games to get anythign worthwhile of the gold wager i got recfently.
Self promotion below.

Wimopy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2215 on: April 09, 2015, 10:42:07 am »

Eh, arty is only annoying when I get the arty strike message incoming 10-20 times in 2 minutes. It's probably both the team and the enemy doing it. Generally, it doesn't do much, but there still are the lucky shells into the back of the tank...

Planes aren't really that bad, though I had one with cannons come in directly vertically and kill my tank just before crashing. I was in a mountain pass WAY behind enemy lines, preparing to flank them while they were obliterating my team. After respawn I killed quite a few, but at that point too much time was wasted and I can't fight on three sides from spawn...

Still, I'm proud. Mostly top, but 90% of the time at least top 3 within the team in every battle. Still only tier 2 (BR 2.7 right now, researching a few 3.3 tanks in advance), but since I know where to shoot a tank, I can get one shot streaks quite often, especially from close range (harder to target the right points from afar).

What do you guys think about the state of the AI right now? I find it quite fun and it actually fires at enemies decently (stop, aim, fire), even though its tanks are quite underlevelled. Had one the other day that drove in front of my T-34 with a T-26, blocking my fire at the StuG III (and 4 other enemies). Got me killed, because the enemy could easily shoot through him and behind my cover, while I couldn't see anything. Otherwise, they're fun targets and their shots can actually cause a problem if you ignore them, I think.
Now updating the Monster Hunter Universe mod
Current Version: 0.4.95b - Updated June 17, 2015
New Thread
Download
Old Thread

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2216 on: April 09, 2015, 01:10:19 pm »

Actually i don't think AI tanks are a threat at all. I once tried flanking the enemy team on uhh... some arcade map with 2 hills and a ruined castle.

Anyway i got on their flank and AI tanks spawned. 6 or so right behind me. They seemed to shoot at my PZ4 but did... well nothing. I proceeded to dispose of them netting me 4 AI kills before i started taking care of flanked enemy tanks.

Quite honestly the only saving grace of AI tanks is their "retard strength" of extreme durability.
Self promotion below.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2217 on: April 09, 2015, 01:49:55 pm »

The real saving grace of AI tanks is being able to blend into the crowd, usually. In the confusion of battle, it's easy to mistake an AI tank for an actual threat and waste a shot on it. If you happen to be near that AI tank, that means you might get a free shot on the enemy.
Nothing important here, move along.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2218 on: April 09, 2015, 02:49:13 pm »

Yeah works especially well in simulator. You can move pretty stealthly there if you move towards the enemy team with your turret facing backwards. and might even get a good shot from clese up as most people ignore you.
Self promotion below.

Wimopy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2219 on: April 09, 2015, 03:11:03 pm »

Dunno, a KV-1 AI managed to kill my T-34 (fully unupgraded, I think it was a fire), so there's that. Took it about 3-5 shots though (and even then I failed to notice where it was facing, so I accidentally ran in front of its gun). It's mostly due to the crazy durability of the KV series though.

Survivability on AI... well, I always thought that was there weakpoint. They seem to die *way* easier than players. Maybe it's because they don't angle and they're morons, so I can shoot them from the best possible places.

Yeah, I think I've found the weakpoints of pretty much every tank I've gone against, except the SPAAs. Not sure if I should hit the truck or the gun part. Sometimes even both isn't a kill...
Also except the KV-1. I've yet to find where I can reliably kill it with my own KV-1 (T-34 doesn't have the durability for it and the gun seems weaker). Turret ring is a no-brainer for incapacitation in CQC, but the best I can do after that is light it up with a good shot from behind. Turret back seems to be the ammo rack, but getting a shot there is hard.
Now updating the Monster Hunter Universe mod
Current Version: 0.4.95b - Updated June 17, 2015
New Thread
Download
Old Thread
Pages: 1 ... 146 147 [148] 149 150 ... 163