Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 141 142 [143] 144 145 ... 163

Author Topic: War Thunder. Casual Dogfighting MMO.  (Read 210752 times)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: War Thunder. Casual Dogfighting MMO.
« Reply #2130 on: March 08, 2015, 08:27:28 am »

Note that the BR varies depending on AB/RB/SB.

Because in AB, firepower is pretty much everything.

And then they face glorious russians on that china map.
Yeah, flying an Il-4 on that map was fun. Especially since the Japanese insisted on hanging at my 6, rather than using their maneuverability to shoot at my wings or engines or so.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2131 on: March 08, 2015, 08:42:07 am »

Yah, its fun going after ground targets in things like the PE3 and letting your gunners maim and/or kill the turnfighters that follow you.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2132 on: March 08, 2015, 12:31:06 pm »

Except the one with so many internal cannons is A-5. It's the first tier 3 FW and has a BR of 5.3.
The A-5 U2 has 2 cannons and a BR of 6.0.

And after it comes the A-8 with 4 built in cannons and 2 13 mm MGs and it's BR is 5.3
Going even deeper there is the D-9 again with only 2 20 mm cannons and 2 MGs with a BR or 4.7
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2133 on: March 08, 2015, 12:37:13 pm »

A5/U2 has 6 cannons. Well, 2 or 6, so there's that.

I hear the d9 is pretty poor as far as fw's go though.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2134 on: March 09, 2015, 02:07:19 pm »

Also why are german FWs gradually decrease in BR at higher tiers? Why is tie tier 3 FW BR 6.0 and the ones after it lower? I think one is like 4.7 for some reason... at tier 4.

You are still taking battle ratings seriously ?

Top kek, gr8 b8 m8 etc etc. BRs are fucky as hell.

Re 190s: They hurt a lot, but if I can get a jump on them with respect to energy, I'm pretty much set.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2135 on: March 09, 2015, 02:15:10 pm »

Also why are german FWs gradually decrease in BR at higher tiers? Why is tie tier 3 FW BR 6.0 and the ones after it lower? I think one is like 4.7 for some reason... at tier 4.

You are still taking battle ratings seriously ?

Top kek, gr8 b8 m8 etc etc. BRs are fucky as hell.

Re 190s: They hurt a lot, but if I can get a jump on them with respect to energy, I'm pretty much set.

Yeah. If a FW can't headon or BnZ, it must climb, and if you are on top of a FW and the energy advantage isn't in favor of the Fw... it's already dead.

I actually energy fight in my Fw's but it's a bad habit. This is the 100% BnZ plane.

And I wasn't even trolling. BR's are just

Also trying to get a tier 1 russian lineup made up of them light bombers. (Apparently BB-1 and the first Su-2 don't have any engine power at all.  >:( )
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 02:25:00 pm by Naryar »

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2136 on: March 09, 2015, 02:59:56 pm »

Is there an in-game slang difference that I dont know of between BnZ and "energy fighting"?

I ground some proper fighters(that can carry bombs too) for the combined arms events, aand... After a solid weekend of about 25 playing hours of giving the flying part of the game another try, I think I'm done. The planes wobble all about the sky that I suppose replaces gyroscopic effects, no engine doppler, engine management, have silly gun recoil effects, burn for half an hour, have way, waaaaay too much lift available(even Buffalo flies level with negative AoA at 400 kmph IAS or so) and generally fly in ways I've seen in no other game. But what really killed it to me is the camera's auto-brightness thing that thinks I want to see the gauges and cockpit frames and whatnot --> outside is mostly just bright white light. The brightness and glare effects are overdone and combined to the auto-brightness level thing it often makes it impossible to see out of the cockpit to just scan the horizon. All that in simulation mode.

Have you seen P-47s in the combined arms event? Its basically target practice for the Allies. Best score for a P-47 I've seen so far is 4 air victories and 11 tanks. I think its the combination of the ease of flying(ease of ground attacks), wonky HE splashes and the small maps for the ground forces so all the targets are in a relatively small area and easy to find.

I can see the potential WT has and try to love it, but it fights back hard.  :'( :'(

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2137 on: March 09, 2015, 04:18:39 pm »

Energy fighting is using energy for short bouts of turnfighting, basically pulling the stick back and letting loose until the other plane is dead.

Boom and Zoom is diving on some poor bastard like a hawk and hoping you can keep your gunsight on him long enough to hit him a few times, then running the hell away, climbing, turning around, and doing it again about 2 minutes later, until the enemy is dead. It's usually done in planes that are really heavy, so it takes them forever to climb up to altitude and an hour to turn 180, so it's very much a patient man's game, plus it takes quite a bit of practice to figure out how to lead the targets and predict their actions, since most of the things you're going after will be a lot more nimble and you've got to preempt them.

Naturally, nobody can fucking do it right, and the people that can are horrifying death-dealers.
Nothing important here, move along.

ukulele

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2138 on: March 09, 2015, 04:52:54 pm »

BnZ its a form of energy fighting, energy fighting is something everyone should have in mind but its totally nescesary in some planes and not so much in others. Energy fighting is basically aplying the basic theory of air combat about energy management, knowing yours and your enemies, when to engage and in what terms. How and when to manouver to keep the energy advantage over your oponent and in doing so staying safe while mantaining the agresive position. You could say BnZ is energy fighting, becouse you are over your enemy at similar speeds wich gives you the energy advantage, you chose when to attack and are at all times in control of the engagement. BnZ its just an example of a tecnic in energy fighting that can be applied in some planes, almost the oposite would be a Rope-A-Dope where you use your climbing advantage/light aircraft to your advantage.

EDIT: Do not try in arcade.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 04:56:13 pm by ukulele »

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2139 on: March 09, 2015, 05:08:15 pm »

Hmm, I've long considered them just the same, or at least just different sides of the same "hit & run" coin. As in, even BnZ is "energy fighting", it can be maintaining an advantage, exploiting better speed and climb over the enemy or just minimizing E burn by doing maneuveres in vertical and making the roughest moves at the top. There isnt a fighter than doesnt do better flown carefully(tactically, not physically) compared to reckless dogfighting. If I know my plane is inferior to the opposition, especially in speed, I try to secure all possible advantages better than ever. I'm your number one preacher for the famous "see first - decide - attack - shoot the poor basterds guts out - coffee break" doctrine. Awareness and discipline win. :)

Yeah, I'm one of those who always take a full tank of fuel and keep looking for unaware prey. In a pair or a flight quite often. Front line is usually close and then theres usually those 330 litre drop tanks available, but I still cant remember when I last ran out of ammo, other than Mk 108's, before fuel and had to head home in Bf 109 or Fw 190.  :D Damn those tiny fuel tanks!
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 05:09:56 pm by Erkki »

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2140 on: March 09, 2015, 06:47:13 pm »

EDIT: Do not try in arcade.

It's doable in arcade but you have to really have to rubber band everything.
Everything as in "be 2 km above your target and dive so hard that your plane would have fallen apart 500 meters into the dive if you tried that on realistic...

So it's stupidy time consuming and unrewarding dut doable.
Self promotion below.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2141 on: March 10, 2015, 06:55:44 am »

Yea. BnZ is doable on arcade but seeing as in most planes don't behave according to their energy, the altitude advantage is lessened in arcade. Also people climbing like ufos.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2142 on: March 10, 2015, 08:17:54 am »

True but both B'n'Z fighters and turn fighrters climb like UFOs.
The difficulty in BnZing in arcade is not enemies climbing after you but the fact you literally have to shred them to bits in one go otherwise you will most likely get killstealed even if you left someone burning and without a single working component beyond the pilot.
Self promotion below.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2143 on: March 10, 2015, 12:14:50 pm »

True but both B'n'Z fighters and turn fighrters climb like UFOs.
The difficulty in BnZing in arcade is not enemies climbing after you but the fact you literally have to shred them to bits in one go otherwise you will most likely get killstealed even if you left someone burning and without a single working component beyond the pilot.

Makes my Spitfires pitiful compared to their performance in RB.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2144 on: March 11, 2015, 12:11:37 am »

Only play AB if you need a laugh. Seeing people dive at 600+kph without ripping their wings off is nearly as great as bombers climbing 500m at near-vertical angles.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 141 142 [143] 144 145 ... 163