Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 110 111 [112] 113 114 ... 163

Author Topic: War Thunder. Casual Dogfighting MMO.  (Read 211042 times)

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
Re: War Thunder. Casual Dogfighting MMO.
« Reply #1665 on: December 02, 2014, 05:45:25 pm »

I played a bit and I can see why simulation mode is deserted.

it is full of spawn campers and everyone just hide in general. most boring mission of ever, except for those more open and less hilly maps.

ukulele

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1666 on: December 02, 2014, 06:17:46 pm »

The main problem i see with Simulator battles is that if you really ejoy sims there is no reason for you to chose war thunder over the others. So the hardcore sim fans are on other games.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1667 on: December 02, 2014, 06:24:28 pm »

Well I haven't seen much in the way of hardcore tank simulators (If you can correct me on this please do!) aside from one modern Russian game. 

But yes, as far as air battles go I don't see any reason to try to wrangle War Thunder's controls which never seem to work properly for me when I could just play Il-2 or Rise of Flight.
Shoes...

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1668 on: December 02, 2014, 06:27:51 pm »

You know how if you manage to purchase all the upgrade modules (repaired parts, new guns/ammo, bomb carriers, etc.) you get the little spade thingy by your aircraft or tank's tier?

And you know how you have to have a certain number of planes/tanks in one tier to move on to the next tier?

Well, if your plane or tank has the little spade, it means that the plane or tank counts as two planes or tanks for the purposes of moving up to the next tier.

Okay this has been bugging me. Couldn't find it mentioned anywhere. Today I decided to try it and went and elited one of my Spits. Nothing happened, I still needed the same number of unlocked and purchased planes :S
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1669 on: December 02, 2014, 06:41:27 pm »

I've realized I might have been wrong about that. Apparently I got some kind of bug concurrently where I was counted as having 1 more tank on that tier than I should have.

On the topic of Sim tank battles, they're fun if you can get into them. The gameplay isn't really different from RB except you have less indication of enemy tanks, which can be useful for sneaking around and flanking on the more closed maps. A lot of people do hide, yes, but that's sort of the point. Most tanks face enemy tanks that have guns strong enough to pen them from just about any angle if the shooter knows what they're doing, so it's better to keep a bit of cover between yourself and the enemy. The people who stupidly sit in one spot and make no effort to flank or even keep any enemy flankers pinned end up being pretty easy prey.
Nothing important here, move along.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1670 on: December 06, 2014, 05:16:33 am »

Just got my first kill by outflying someone. Was in my Bf109G2 and was limping back to base when a wild airfield camping P47 appeared. So he tried to chase me, but I either bled him of speed by climbing or didn't allow him to gain any by turning all the time. He overshot me once and I got in a small hit. He then chased me around the airfield (which was stupidly fun and exciting) before underestimating his turn radius and crashing.
AS - IG

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #1671 on: December 06, 2014, 09:07:11 am »

finally got the hang of simulation tank battles

also, reaching the III tier rank managed to finally solve the survival against kv1&2 and all other Russians mean machine (but I found a convenient weak front spot in the kv1 and that problem was solved).

now, if my team would just stop charging one by one into Russian lines...

anyway.

how can you people see anything in aviation simulator battles? I can't see anything to bomb from a bomber, even trying to follow the map and things.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1672 on: December 06, 2014, 11:46:12 am »

The KV-1 is a horribly easy tank to kill once you know where to shoot, honestly. The KV-2... that's a bit more difficult because of the absolutely intense frontal turret armor, but flank it and it's dead.

I think one of the big problems with tankers in general is they tend to overestimate the effectiveness of their armor, so a lot of people end up getting themselves killed.

As for aviation simulator battles, I severely doubt anyone here plays that. Simulator tanks is easy because the controls aren't any more difficult than in Realistic or even Arcade. Sim planes... not so much.
Nothing important here, move along.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1673 on: December 06, 2014, 12:00:40 pm »

I wouldn't mind trying simtanks if I could actually get into a game, but simplanes is always gonna be a "why play this with all its issues when I can play il-2?"
Shoes...

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1674 on: December 06, 2014, 12:41:16 pm »

I couldn't even complete the taking off and landing tutorial for simulator battle with a joystick, so I never played it.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

FritzPL

• Bay Watcher
  • Changing avatar text since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #1675 on: December 06, 2014, 02:33:55 pm »

Where is that weakpoint on the KV-1? No matter what tank and ammo type I take, it's always luck with that metal monster.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1676 on: December 06, 2014, 02:44:07 pm »

http://steamcommunity.com/games/236390/announcements/detail/231137684231433258

Some interesting things here. Though I'm somewhat worried by the last quote.

In future, if you shoot off the wing or tail of the enemy who is not close to his airfield, the opponent will be counted as immediately destroyed. This should make the award faster and fairer
I really don't want the computer to kick me out of the plane because it thinks I can't land it. It'll usually be right, but still.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1677 on: December 06, 2014, 02:51:52 pm »

I landed a plane with half a wing and half a tail...

And it wasent a B-17.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1678 on: December 06, 2014, 02:55:49 pm »

Yeah, it'd be much simpler and fairer if they just made whoever did the most damage get the kill.

But why do it in a simple and logical way if you can piss off people by doing it in a stupid and illogical way.
AS - IG

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1679 on: December 07, 2014, 12:30:16 am »

I like how they add this really granular wing-cutting system and then just make you insta-die if you lose the wing.
Shoes...
Pages: 1 ... 110 111 [112] 113 114 ... 163