Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 105 106 [107] 108 109 ... 163

Author Topic: War Thunder. Casual Dogfighting MMO.  (Read 210843 times)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Re: War Thunder. Casual Dogfighting MMO.
« Reply #1590 on: November 03, 2014, 11:00:35 pm »

Just started trying out tanks in RB, German side.  I've heard the stories but fuck.  I can't do shit.  Maybe one out of ten shots does damage and it's never substantial, meanwhile I'm usually dead in two hits.  I have no idea what the fuck is even going on.

German players, how did you get through reserves?  What should I be trying to do?  I figure if I make it through this it'll be because I learned to play and I'll be hardcore but I have to survive this first.

Oh.  Is it possible my T3 planes are pulling me into higher tier fights and putting me against tanks I can't deal with?
« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 11:05:59 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1591 on: November 03, 2014, 11:53:31 pm »

That might be true. The reserve Germans still have their work cut out from them, though. Their armor cannot block the weapons of any Russian vehicle, and they cannot penetrate several vehicles they go up against. As in, they cannot penetrate the T-50 or the T-34 prototype at all.

In fact, last I played, the entire German first tier and part of the second could not penetrate T-50s or T-34s.
Nothing important here, move along.

Natti

• Bay Watcher
  • Gremlin lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1592 on: November 04, 2014, 12:29:09 am »

Get the StuG III Ausf. A as fast as possible, it's a beast. The Panzer III's are also great, they've got more armour than the Panzer IV, but later models of IV get better guns.
The reserve German tank, the Panzer II Ausf. C, shouldn't even face T-50's or T-34's. The Panzer III Ausf. E/F should definitely be able to penetrate the T-50, you should study its armour, see what part of it you should aim for. It's not an invincible tank, it's just kinda advanced for its BR.
The Panzer IV Ausf. C's and StuG III Ausf. A's 75mm infantry support gun should be able to easily penetrate and destroy the T-50's and T-34's with its HEAT ammunition. Again, you just have to know where to aim.
You should pay close attention to the BR of your lineup. Planes push it higher, yeah.
+Amazigh (~Amazigh@poop.poop) Quit (Quit: Life is your butter, I shall be the margarine, beware heart disease.)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1593 on: November 04, 2014, 12:39:45 am »

That was probably part of hte problem, yeah.  I was fighting T3 tanks.  But even turning it back down I've still only gotten two or three pens total.
Shoes...

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1594 on: November 04, 2014, 12:42:03 am »

Be warned, until you do get the HEAT rounds on the short-barreled 75mm guns, you cannot hurt the T-50 and I'm pretty sure you can't hurt the T-34. The HEAT rounds, on top of that, tend to fail to detonate on the T-50's heavily sloped armor, or at least they did when I played.

Mipe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1595 on: November 04, 2014, 12:43:14 am »

Whatever happened to german tanks mowing russian ones down? Historical accuracy not a thing anymore? As far as I know, german tanks were far more advanced for the time and it was only in the late years that mass-produced cheap T-34's could change the tide against the diminishing german forces.

Oh well, guess I'll have to look elsewhere for that elusive feeling of superiority.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1596 on: November 04, 2014, 12:50:09 am »

Actually when German and Russian tanks first clashed things were pretty universally awful for the Germans.  The T-34 really was almost completely invulnerable to most anti-tank weaponry available to the Germans at the time and conversely its own gun fucked shit up.

If you want to be a god of war I really recommend the Emil.  It way outperforms most of the planes at its BR, you can easily crash stubbies and biplanes just by forcing them down.

Later on I'm not sure but the BR on the Volksjaeger looks pretty fucking nasty.  Can anybody with jets confirm or deny that the He 162 kicks dick?
Shoes...

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1597 on: November 04, 2014, 01:00:10 am »

The T-34 actually suffered horribly despite being vastly better than German tanks when they first clashed because the Germans had radios in all of their tanks long before any other nation. The tactical advantage outweighed the T-34's physical advantages because the Germans could easily disrupt and flank the T-34s.

As for the T-50, that thing was extraordinarily rare and is insanely overrepresented. There were 69 of them built. It was just outright too complicated for the Russians to really make, and it was quickly replaced by worse but easier to manufacture tanks.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1598 on: November 04, 2014, 04:08:29 am »

Panzer IV ausf. C with 75mm HEAT is pretty good, yes.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1599 on: November 04, 2014, 03:20:09 pm »

Just started trying out tanks in RB, German side.  I've heard the stories but fuck.  I can't do shit.  Maybe one out of ten shots does damage and it's never substantial, meanwhile I'm usually dead in two hits.  I have no idea what the fuck is even going on.

German players, how did you get through reserves?  What should I be trying to do?  I figure if I make it through this it'll be because I learned to play and I'll be hardcore but I have to survive this first.

Oh.  Is it possible my T3 planes are pulling me into higher tier fights and putting me against tanks I can't deal with?
Flakpanzers. Seriously, I had more kills and such in Flakpanzers than I did my German Tier II tanks. Just zoom in close with the heavier Russian tanks, swerving like a drunk maniac, and then open up with AP belts at close range. Aim for the tracks first. Once the tank is immobilized, you can zip out of its firing line way faster than it can swing a turret (and SU's are competely helpless) and then just rip it apart with your rapid-fire cannons of doom.

Obviously, this doesn't work so well if there's more than one enemy nearby. Still, fun as hell when you're defending an enclosed capture point and sneak out from behind a wall and start laying into them with your popguns. Plus, if they try to spawn in a bomber, you're ready for that as well.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 04:42:10 pm by RedKing »

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1600 on: November 04, 2014, 04:00:39 pm »

Oh, that is what all those things were trying.

Nothing funnier than shooting a Flakpanzer with an Su-122 at point blank.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1601 on: November 04, 2014, 04:34:21 pm »

Sometimes those little bastards can be annoyingly good. Other times they end up appearing within easy traversal distance and you murder them like the little gnats they are.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1602 on: November 05, 2014, 12:49:18 am »

Got my first tank kills, three in one match.

Of course it was arcade, which means simplified mechanics and I was fighting other German tanks.  Seems like the German gun works a lot better at close range, I got one in a lucky knife fight and the other one I hosed down until its turret ring broke, then I looped around and just kind of sat there until I reloaded and put one through its side armor.  Nighty night fucko.  The third one was something similar.  No clean kills, I guess I won't get that until I get a tank without an autocannon.  Mostly long salvos that disabled the tank for a precise shot.
Shoes...

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1603 on: November 05, 2014, 12:54:58 am »

The 20mm has almost no armor penetration. It works against the T-26, T-60, and ZiS-30 at decent enough ranges because they tend to have shit for armor, and against the T-28 at closer ranges because it has half-decent armor. The Pz II on the other hand actually has kinda decent armor, so its own gun actually has a bit of trouble hurting it. The Russian guns don't, though.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1604 on: November 05, 2014, 12:57:56 am »

It seems like the best way to deal with Russians in T1 RB is the same way they did it IRL, coordinated premade teams.  Distract them with one target and move others in for shots to the rear.  But that would require premade teams.  It seems like RB tank fights are a lot smaller than most RB plane fights so it might actually work, things might not be such a clusterfuck that you get shot trying to flank.
Shoes...
Pages: 1 ... 105 106 [107] 108 109 ... 163