Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 87 88 [89] 90 91 ... 163

Author Topic: War Thunder. Casual Dogfighting MMO.  (Read 210616 times)

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
Re: War Thunder. Casual Dogfighting MMO.
« Reply #1320 on: August 06, 2014, 07:32:46 am »

Try Simulator Battles, if you can. There's no visual indicator of enemy tanks beyond the tanks themselves and a blip on the minimap, so you'll be a lot more able to sneak around.
Nothing important here, move along.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1321 on: August 06, 2014, 12:03:36 pm »

Sim battles, flank everywhere, and remember that there is such a thing as too much penetration.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1322 on: August 12, 2014, 08:29:37 pm »

So is anyone playing this for the summer madness missions?

I'm not, despite the juicy x4 bonus RP, the current mission is just so goddamn awful in terms of bringing out all the shit people (and I don't mean shit players, just shit teammates). It's so bad that I've been teamkilled on purpose twice in the last three days, before that, in the nine months that I've played it only happened once.

It's fucking annoying and not worth the trouble, however alluring the premium vehicles might look.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1323 on: August 12, 2014, 08:53:06 pm »

What's the mission?  I haven't touched the game in a while, it was kind of frustrating.  Mainly I feel like the prevalence of mouse-aim makes the game harder to play correctly.  There's a lot of situations where, if it were Il-2 or a more realistic sim there's no real chance of getting hit, but since there's mouse-aim you get hit and die.

It's one of the most frustrating things I've seen in a game, having a fucking yak wildly shoot its oversized anti-ground cannon at your fast-moving plane half a kilometer away and put a giant hole in its wing, ruining your maneuverability completely.

I think I've said before, I dial my convergence into like 500 or 600 meters in War Thunder since I have mouse-aim and can do that.  In a real simulator I rarely go more than 250m and I don't start shooting until I know I can get him.

A lot of things you could do in Il-2 you can't do in war thunder because the game's much more forgiving of bad shooting.
Shoes...

Natti

• Bay Watcher
  • Gremlin lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1324 on: August 12, 2014, 11:08:20 pm »

Try flying Simulator Battles. I recently ventured into them, and boy are they fun. Even without a joystick I'm doing okay.
+Amazigh (~Amazigh@poop.poop) Quit (Quit: Life is your butter, I shall be the margarine, beware heart disease.)

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1325 on: August 12, 2014, 11:31:37 pm »

What plane are you flying? From my limited experience, it seems kind of easy to spin out planes. For one game, I was literally the only person on my team to survive long enough to get shot down by an enemy just because I knew how to get out of the death spin that I put myself in every time I pulled the stick back more than a millimeter.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1326 on: August 13, 2014, 12:07:18 am »

I usually use the P-47.  It's pretty hard (impossible?) to tailspin in realistic battles, but I know how to deal with it.

I'd do simbattles but it seems like nobody does, and if it's gonna be the kind of thing where people are stalling and crashing every couple minutes that sounds worse than realistic.
Shoes...

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1327 on: August 13, 2014, 12:19:16 am »

There's a small but dedicated group that are ultra-hardcore sim enthusiasts who hate Gaijin with a passion because they're usually ignored. There's also a pretty good group of people who really, really wish they could play Simulator but end up being pretty bad at it.

I was flying as a Spitfire Mark V when I had the trouble with spinning out. I did also try out a few other planes which were easier to control (sadly, the Bf 109 which has no trim and insane engine torque was almost as easy to fly just because it was possible to turn) and also the I-16 Ishak which cannot possibly spin out under any circumstance (I rigorously tested this, that fucker is virtually invincible).

Personally, though, I like Realistic Battles because I like mouse-aim because even though I'm a pretty good pilot, it's frustrating as Hell when I go into a death spin because I don't know every single little thing about flying this one particular plane variant in the current version of the simulation.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1328 on: August 13, 2014, 04:08:47 am »

The mission is 40 wins where you end up as first place with a certain minimum of XP. There are also various rank 10 win missions which give you a chance at winning a vehicle or something but it's worded so poorly that you really have no idea how most of the thing works.

Also from what I've learned there's bomber spam in sim battles, mostly because they're fucking overpowered and are played not as bombers but as flying AA, some even go so far and turn on smoke to get the other team to notice them and attack, at which point they use the gunners to shoot down anything that approaches.

It's gotten so bad that people are ramming their own bombers if they suspect this is happening.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1329 on: August 13, 2014, 04:19:47 am »

There's bomber spam in all modes.  Mostly yeah, mostly people lawnmowing and farming kills with their turrets.  B-17s scooting along a hundred feet off the ground and shit.  Obviously that thunderkraut I won't shut up about doesn't have a problem with them, it can take bombers out in one good burst.
Shoes...

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1330 on: August 13, 2014, 05:02:17 am »

yeah, Historical Battles is a pretty good mode right now. I mean I bring my duck there and much kills.

Did I already say that the mk103 is awesome ?

also no matter what I do I cannot properly get kills in the A5. It's just made of wet paper and every time i get a single wing hit either my wing breaks or my manoeuvrability is completely screwed.

but it's mostly me not getting kills and unlocking the air target belts for both sets of 20mm's takes far too long

ghhgghghhh
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 05:07:30 am by Naryar »

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1331 on: August 13, 2014, 06:48:08 am »

There is something odd going on with my account in WT. I already made a ticket about it but i doubt it will help at all.
Some time ago my account got hacked... i assumed it had something to do with windows live leaking info (and my password for WT and WL was the same at the time while most of my other games and Email had different passwords) so i jsut recivered the password and changed most of my passwords to be sure.
Several months later (literally 5 days ago actually) my account got hacked again... and i had to recover the password... again.
I have no clue what's going on byt i thought a 12 character long pass with numbers would be enough but apparently not nearly enough.

I wrote a ticket about it and support suggested i might have a keylogger on my PC... but spybot and WSE show nothing.... and if i had a keylogger on my PC for 4 months i'm pretty sure id have my mailbox and other accounts hacked as well... but i didn't experience anything beyond War Thunder getting a sudden password change along with renaming my pilot to something offensive.

I changed my password again but i just don't see this stopping any time soon and i'm not sure if i actually have a keylogger onboard or not... and still WT is the only thing that apparently gets hacked.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Natti

• Bay Watcher
  • Gremlin lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1332 on: August 13, 2014, 07:28:06 am »

The F6F Hellcat is a good plane to start flying Simulation with, if you don't mind feeling like a dirty cheater. It's ridiculously stable, it turns damn well and its got absolutely scary engine performance. 6x .50-cal doesn't hurt. Only downside is that you have shitty rear visibility thanks to the armoured seat the yankees liked sticking on their naval fighters.
+Amazigh (~Amazigh@poop.poop) Quit (Quit: Life is your butter, I shall be the margarine, beware heart disease.)

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1333 on: August 13, 2014, 08:12:27 am »

I have unlocked the PzIV ausf. C and it is pretty good.

Used some golden eagles on it due to being tired of shitty 20mm rounds on german tank reserves.

No regrets.

Well, apart from all the one hit kills and the turret who stops turning after I take some damage...
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 08:19:07 am by Naryar »

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1334 on: August 13, 2014, 11:19:09 am »

Loss of turret control is no reason to stop firing.
Pages: 1 ... 87 88 [89] 90 91 ... 163