Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 163

Author Topic: War Thunder. Casual Dogfighting MMO.  (Read 211121 times)

Spaghetti7

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam ID: wavy shapes dude
    • View Profile
Re: War Thunder. Casual Dogfighting MMO.
« Reply #120 on: July 06, 2013, 02:28:02 am »

had an interesting experience...person rams me with a fighter while i was in a bomber, my wing gets damaged and loses that side's control(reduced turning and a bit of random spinning afterwards) and his wing fell off completely then asked how was i still alive ::)
I've had it once where I was happily trundling along in a Hurrie or something when a friendly dived out of the wide open blue and smashed himself across my front, instantly dying and setting on fire. All I got was a slightly mangled prop about 20 metres out from the airfield, so I could easily land and repair. He was pretty mad, and claimed that I had no eyes. ::)

Holy fuck, as soon as I got the first Hurricane I instantly fell in love. Now I have the Mk II and the Spitfire, and these things are amazing. I feel sort of cheap being able to get up behind someone and spray them with twelve machineguns at once, but it balances out since it seems the maneuverability of them isn't particularly amazing. They're pretty tough too, since I've managed multiple times to stay alive and get kills with multiple holes in my wings amongst other damage.
My thoughts exactly. However, I'm not too upset about their maneuverability. You can outturn a lot of things in the MkI and the MkII isn't TOO much worse, but its firepower makes up for it.
That's nothing. I had something mate with a pile of dead meat.

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: July 06, 2013, 03:01:32 am »

This is why Gaijin Entertainment is better than Wargaming (and you should switch from World of Tanks to War Thunder):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=5TLrF4E50SM#t=1010s

Said by Jingles, who is a community contributor for Wargaming Europe himself.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2013, 03:48:13 am by BuriBuriZaemon »
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: July 06, 2013, 03:14:28 am »

Holy fuck, as soon as I got the first Hurricane I instantly fell in love. Now I have the Mk II and the Spitfire, and these things are amazing. I feel sort of cheap being able to get up behind someone and spray them with twelve machineguns at once, but it balances out since it seems the maneuverability of them isn't particularly amazing. They're pretty tough too, since I've managed multiple times to stay alive and get kills with multiple holes in my wings amongst other damage.
My thoughts exactly. However, I'm not too upset about their maneuverability. You can outturn a lot of things in the MkI and the MkII isn't TOO much worse, but its firepower makes up for it.
Well, I really only commented on their maneuverability because before that I was pretty much playing Japanese planes at that point, and I got pretty used to how fast those things could turn. In comparison, it felt sluggish. But fuck that, I have twelve guns strapped onto my plane and I'm going to rip apart anything that doesn't get behind me, and eventually gun me down.

Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: July 06, 2013, 03:22:49 am »

I feel like I really suck at this game.

I've been leveling Russian and US planes and have gotten up to level 4. I perform subpar with both. The US fighters always get something they can't shake behind them, and their .50 caliber guns seem to not do as much damage as they should, but that's probably because I can't aim. The Russians... well, I can actually manage pretty well, but I seem to get my pilot shot the first time someone actually manages to shoot at me every single time. I also have bombers, the us Catalina and Dauntless, but I have terrible luck with both. My Catalina doesn't get enough XP with the 100lb bombs to put better ones on because I am terrible at aiming them, and I'm apparently also terrible at aiming with the Dauntless since I missed a battleship while diving straight down on it.
Nothing important here, move along.

ansontan2000

• Bay Watcher
  • I am a Poro. Fear me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: July 06, 2013, 03:47:48 am »

Don't bother with the US dive bombers and the Catalina. Complete waste of time. Wait until you get the likes of the Mitchells to start serious bombing.

The key to being successful is really to not get someone on your ass in the first place. Stay high, look around, and pick your targets carefully. Wait for there to be an isolated plane flying away from the pack, and dive down on it. If it's alone, ain't nobody got time for coming to help it. If there are two planes chasing one of your friendlies, get on the ass of the one at the back, and make sure there are either more friendlies to soak up enemy fire or that there aren't any opposition at all.

If someone does slot in behind you, get low and push your throttle all the way up. Make small dodging maneuvers with the rudder. Your fast speed will make these small adjustments count in making it hard to shoot you down, and above all, fly towards friendlies who will be all too happy to make someone chasing their wingman's life hell.
When a soldier makes a mistake, one man dies.
When a captain makes a mistake, a dozen men die.
When a commander makes a mistake, a thousand men die.
When an emperor makes a mistake, well, there is a game save for retry.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: July 06, 2013, 03:54:02 am »

I used to thought I sucked too, but that's because I was just flying straight at people and getting into a dogfight. I didn't realize that getting someone on your tail when you were alone was practically a death sentence. Although you won't get as much action as you normally would going straight into the fight, it is VERY much worth it to go up higher than most of the other planes, surveying your surroundings, and diving into fights you know you have a very good chance of winning. Never get into fights with three or more planes without any allies immediately nearby, and be careful even when engaging two lone planes. A lot of your success depends on carefully picking targets, and once you get a hang of it you'll be easily nabbing a few air-kills per plane.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Welcome to Reality.

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: July 06, 2013, 05:20:16 am »

I'd really like to squad up with you folks. I am Elsior in game, mostly playing British.
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: July 06, 2013, 06:12:23 am »

Don't bother with the US dive bombers and the Catalina. Complete waste of time.
I'll have to disagree with this...the water landing planes are actually the easiest to land places, you can even go land at runways while going 300 if your careful. The main thing is to watch for anyone who has rockets as those will 1 shot you...while the 37mm cannon will also 1 shot you if its armor piercing and hits horizontally through the wing that is a little rare. The only reason i could see of skipping the catalina is if it doesn't have bomb sights...which would be weird as the H6K4 is a very similar plane and does have bomb sights. The main benefit of this type of plane is the wings protect enemies behind you from being able to shoot the cockpit and instantly downing you with pilot unconscious. But there is one interesting thing about these two planes, they are the first that can carry a heavy enough bomb loadout to destroy the enemy base...only really practical in arcade since with about 10+30(expert crew cert with the plane) reload your bombs reload in 55~ seconds which means in about 10 minutes the enemy base is dead unless they dealt with you

ah...nevermind i see why, the Catalina is about 50 km/h slower then the H6K4

Anyways, in game name is etgfrog although I tend to fly bombers and ground attack planes...probably because I find dogfighting to be...almost a waste of time at times...not when the objective is to kill ground forces.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2013, 06:28:05 am by etgfrog »
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: July 06, 2013, 01:54:40 pm »

The Catalina does have bomb sights, and can carry 16 100 kg bombs on its wings. Since they're on the wings, though, they're not really accurate enough to hit most things with without spending half of them in a cluster, and it takes a /lot/ of XP before they get better stuff.

It probably doesn't help that I play arcade mode mostly since I can't seem to get my Sidewinder to cooperate with the full real battles and I've never actually been able to play the historical battles for some reason. Probably impatience.
Nothing important here, move along.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: July 06, 2013, 03:43:49 pm »

Historical Battles are totally worth it (Especially if you're grinding XP for bombers, I might add. Successful bombings last time I checked net much more XP than in Arcade), and you get much more XP than you do in Arcade in all planes. As long as you get a good amount of hits, or even just one kill, you'll be racking in as much as you do on Arcade in most matches. It takes a bit to get used to the handling, but it's not wildly different from arcade, things just aren't as super responsive. Planes are more accurate too, so if you're flying a plane that's actually fast, people will have a harder time sticking on your tail than they do in Arcade.
Welcome to Reality.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: July 06, 2013, 05:18:19 pm »

Bleh, getting tired of WoWP already. Going to re-DL WT and see if it doesn't run like arse this time.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: July 06, 2013, 05:56:42 pm »

I love when you get those big packs of Catalinas/Peshkas flying along in formation, barely even reacting to the fighters trying to shoot them, then you hit the one in front with a rocket and they all start breaking off in every direction.
Shoes...

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: July 06, 2013, 06:06:28 pm »

I love when you get those big packs of Catalinas/Peshkas flying along in formation, barely even reacting to the fighters trying to shoot them, then you hit the one in front with a rocket and they all start breaking off in every direction.

It's to be expected for heavy bombers but fast bombers like Peshka or A-20G are doing it wrong if they fly in formation like that. :/

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: July 06, 2013, 06:25:56 pm »

Maybe not peshkas, but one of the big guys.
Shoes...

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: July 06, 2013, 10:17:35 pm »

formations should in theory prevent fighters from getting close by shredding any fighter that gets within 800m...only problem is gunners are a bit derp and don't start shooting untill they succeed in a spot roll...dont know about that for a fact but i do tend to watch for incoming fighters on me and then check the score screen, if they have rockets then start dodging like mad...but it is a bit weird since even after a fighter has fired a couple of rockets it still takes a couple of seconds for the gunners to even start shooting at them
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 163