Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 163

Author Topic: War Thunder. Casual Dogfighting MMO.  (Read 210511 times)

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: War Thunder. Casual Dogfighting MMO.
« Reply #1110 on: June 02, 2014, 07:05:19 pm »

I worry most for planes, IIRC, joystick users get a feature which allows them to pull their aim towards a plane, effectively giving them autoaim.

In both realistic and arcade?
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #1111 on: June 03, 2014, 01:48:41 am »

Really? I really need that then.
Well, mouse has much much easier aim and control, so in the end it'll be pretty much the same.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1112 on: June 03, 2014, 02:03:00 am »

Sorry, I was falling asleep at the time.

Joystick users don't get anything. It's controller users that get the auto-aim feature.

I worry most for planes, IIRC, joystick users get a feature which allows them to pull their aim towards a plane, effectively giving them autoaim.
In both realistic and arcade?
I don't have precise information, but seeing as mouse-aim retains most of it's advantages in the realistic as well, I assume so.

Mattk50

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1113 on: June 03, 2014, 08:38:06 am »

So why do people call this an mmo. Call of duty has a similarly extensive annoying unlock system doesnt it?

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1114 on: June 03, 2014, 08:40:55 am »

Well, Call of Duty comes out with a new game entirely every year or so. Thats like rebooting your mmo every year and not giving anything to people who played last year to make up for it.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1115 on: June 03, 2014, 09:01:57 am »

Both aren't MMO's. Remember, the acronym stands for Massive Multiplayer Online.

16 vs 16 is hardly massive.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1116 on: June 03, 2014, 09:16:05 am »

The term MMO has sort of evolved in the common vernacular to represent any game in which the primary focus of play, to the exclusion of other options, is multiplayer, without players having strong control over who they play with or how the matches are arranged. Call of Duty games always have a fully-built singleplayer campaign, so they don't quite qualify in the common consciousness. War Thunder does have singleplayer options, but they're pretty much neglected in favor of the multiplayer experience, so it technically squeezes in.
Nothing important here, move along.

lastverb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1117 on: June 03, 2014, 10:04:19 am »

So practically any MMORPG (WOW etc) with their huge battles of hundred, maybe two aren't really an MMO compared to thousands in EVE or Planetside.

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #1118 on: June 03, 2014, 10:10:31 am »

Google says the definition of "massive" is "exceptionally large."

So essentially, what is massive and what isn't is entirely opinion-based. Which means what is and what is not an MMO is also opinion-based, providing the "Multiplayer" and "Online" aspects are already there.

I don't think there's much need to argue over terminology, really. If you feel like it's an MMO, call it an MMO, or base whether you call it an MMO or not on what the developers call it. I dunno. It is what it is.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1119 on: June 03, 2014, 11:15:14 am »

I kinda agree. Do anyone here ever called any game from the Battlefield series an MMO?
MMO was usually reserved for RPGs like Ultima Online, Everquest or WoW where hundreds of people ran around while all WT offers is 32 player battles and a large lobby.
That's hardly an MMO for me.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1120 on: June 03, 2014, 12:40:36 pm »

So practically any MMORPG (WOW etc) with their huge battles of hundred, maybe two aren't really an MMO compared to thousands in EVE or Planetside.
I do remember that there are more than a hundred players on a WOW server at any given moment. They don't all need to be interacting with each other, they just need to be in the same game.

lastverb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1121 on: June 04, 2014, 10:16:35 am »

I do remember that there are more than a hundred players on a WOW server at any given moment. They don't all need to be interacting with each other, they just need to be in the same game.
That is my point. There are hundreds of thousands players at the WoT/WT server (lobby) at any moment. They just aren't interacting with every one at the same time. And the difference between 30+ and 100 is laughable by someone participating in bigger PS or EVE battles, where thousands are fighting in a single place and time.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1122 on: June 04, 2014, 11:10:41 am »

Being on the matchmaking server really doesn't qualify. In that case, any game with a matchmaking system is an MMO, and then we have successfully ruined the chance to have any use out of the abbreviation.

After all, being logged into the matchmaking server isn't the same as being in the game. For your typical MMO RPG, running around in the world constitutes most of the gameplay, but I don't think waiting on the matchmaker is intended to be War Thunder's gameplay.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1123 on: June 04, 2014, 02:00:36 pm »

Taking a break from the navel-gazing for a minute, War Thunder released for PS4 today.

I'm thinking of taking my fully tricked-out Chaika into arcade and trolling the console newbies.... :P

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #1124 on: June 04, 2014, 03:26:39 pm »

Taking a break from the navel-gazing for a minute, War Thunder released for PS4 today.

I'm thinking of taking my fully tricked-out Chaika into arcade and trolling the console newbies.... :P

Daaamn I hope I get to do this in Planetside 2 when it goes out on PS4, but SOE already said they would be separate.
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 163