Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: How to Get Stone: Dwarf Fortress  (Read 15000 times)

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
Re: How to Get Stone: Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2013, 03:40:08 pm »

For instance- Burrows don't make any sense. Going from the name, you'd expect that they'd be underground dwelling areas, not designated places in general.

"Burrow" is actually a stealth pun on "borough". :P
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

TastyMints

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:love of murder]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2013, 04:03:58 pm »

A few years ago I might have been frothing at the mouth over this article.

Now a feeling of contempt simply rests at the base of my mind as I force my eyes to take in this article.

It's pretty wondrous to me how anyone is capable of writing a legible article for arstechnica while still being incapable of the most basic tasks in a videogame. Then I clicked on the author's name, and then noticed all of her articles are about smartphone games for braindead teenagers.

That explains a lot.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2013, 04:10:41 pm »

A few years ago I might have been frothing at the mouth over this article.

Now a feeling of contempt simply rests at the base of my mind as I force my eyes to take in this article.

It's pretty wondrous to me how anyone is capable of writing a legible article for arstechnica while still being incapable of the most basic tasks in a videogame. Then I clicked on the author's name, and then noticed all of her articles are about smartphone games for braindead teenagers.

That explains a lot.
So much anger.

You did read the part where she quite clearly says the design philosophy she is approaching this game from? That very easily read part of the article? That part of the article that would have instantly informed you of where it was going to go right from the beginning?

It's a good article, lending a point of view of an upcoming trend in the industry, and one that Toady has on multiple occasions says he doesn't espouse to. Anger is completely unnecessary, counterproductive, and brings down the level of intelligent debate that we can have when we brand everything that disagrees with what we believe as "the enemy" or "the idiotic masses."

--

I'm in full agreement with PTTG here, we shouldn't be attacking, we should be attempting to educate.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

TastyMints

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2013, 04:16:14 pm »

So much anger.

You did read the part where she quite clearly says the design philosophy she is approaching this game from? That very easily read part of the article? That part of the article that would have instantly informed you of where it was going to go right from the beginning?

It's a good article, lending a point of view of an upcoming trend in the industry, and one that Toady has on multiple occasions says he doesn't espouse to. Anger is completely unnecessary, counterproductive, and brings down the level of intelligent debate that we can have when we brand everything that disagrees with what we believe as "the enemy" or "the idiotic masses."

--

I'm in full agreement with PTTG here, we shouldn't be attacking, we should be attempting to educate.

1) I don't give a crap about her design philosophy. In fact, she's lucky I give a crap what she thinks at all. I could have just closed the article to pretend neither her nor her opinion exist. As a human being capable of judging the ideas that enter, form inside of, and leave my mind, I am entitled to assign as little value to her thoughts as I like.

2) You're incredibly presumptuous to think anyone is angry over anything when the only thing you have to go on is text. It's unbecoming.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2013, 04:28:16 pm »

She, on twitter:

Casey Johnston ‏@caseyjohnston
I tried to play this game called Dwarf Fortress. I really... I tried.

Some comments about her article:

@bogo_lode
@caseyjohnston that sounds like when i tried it minus the rage and cursing.

@caseyjohnston Thanks for that article. Haven't ready a funnier critique of, well, anything, in ages.

I think bad publicity exist, or games wouldn't be ruined after a bad score in Gamespot or IGN. Dwarf Fortress is stronger than that, but still is nonetheless a disservice what she did.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2013, 05:04:40 pm »

Seriously, this woman is doing a bad job being a games journalist. She KNOWS the game is created by two people living off donations (she read de NYT article) and she is judging the game like it was a piece of AAA gaming.
Ahahahahahaha

The rage

Is delicious.

But seriously DF is one of the best games out there. It deserves criticism that would place it amongst the best (well, what they think are the best) games out there, because it should be. I also do quite like the fresh observations of someone entering DF with a critical mindset. What are people so mad about again? We've got an honest casual gamer actually going through this with determination and without any external help. That's admirable right there.

Metruption

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2013, 05:26:21 pm »

I decided I wanted to start playing DF the day before leaving for a camping trip with my family. During that trip I used my ipod's internet to read the entire quickstart guide on the wiki a few times over and the Complete and Utter Newby Tutorial. I started on the Lazy Newb Pack, I was able to figure out all the menus and understood what I was doing because I did my research. I used Phoebus for the first few days. Then I switched to ASCII square for the sake of understanding screenshots and being able to take better ones and it being more dwarfy.

People need to figure out that DF becomes more then 1000000x easier if you do your damn research!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2013, 05:54:31 pm »

You don't need research, you just need to be able to use (k)!

Metruption

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2013, 06:34:03 pm »

You don't need research, you just need to be able to use (k)!
This this a thousand times this. But the knowing-wtf-i-was-doing-because-i-read-up really helped a LOT. Then I followed the tutorial as I played.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2013, 06:39:28 pm »

2) You're incredibly presumptuous to think anyone is angry over anything when the only thing you have to go on is text. It's unbecoming.
So you were lying about being angry in your comment?

At the very least, you said you were contemptuous, and you can't get to that point unless you resent her opinions. It's definitely somewhere on the anger scale, bro.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

TastyMints

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2013, 08:15:54 pm »

At the very least, you said you were contemptuous, and you can't get to that point unless you resent her opinions. It's definitely somewhere on the anger scale, bro.

Tell me about this "anger scale" you've magically invented too. Tell me all about how Psychologists all around the world agree that contempt and anger are the same emotion.

Oh wait, you can't, because you're wrong.

Have a nice day. :)

WaffleEggnog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2013, 08:51:11 pm »

*Sigh*
Ok guys, all the people that have or will read this article most likely will never have known what DF was or is, and now they do, even if they find it bad, its better than not knowing at all. Now they might tell their friends about this one "Horrible game" they know about, then that friend might get into it, etc.

Even if you do think this is a bad thing, if you look at past reviews, its mostly IOS games read by hipster teenagers. And honestly, I could care less about what those kinds of people think, and you should too.

I mean, I agree, it was very stupid for what I read of it. Going on about  how she wants the game to be as hard as possible than complaining about it, complaining about the unintuitive in-game job-manager, then in the next paragraph refusing to use Dwarf Therapist, which is baisically essential, but when the community of a game is this small, any publicity is good publicity.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 08:59:47 pm by WaffleEggnog »
WHEN POSSIBLE, I PREFER TO CONSUME YOUR FACE.

GrizzleBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2013, 09:18:03 pm »

Tell me about this "anger scale" you've magically invented too. Tell me all about how Psychologists all around the world agree that contempt and anger are the same emotion.

so mad right now. so mad you had to go and wiki the meaning of words and come back to use your research to convey how mad you are right now

BinaryBeast1010011010

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2013, 11:13:58 am »

so mad right now. so mad you had to go and wiki the meaning of words and come back to use your research to convey how mad you are right now
I find the "you mad bro" meme as stupid as it is disrespectful. you are not bringing anything useful to the thread and you are just making assumptions about people mindset (or their knowledge of a language -I will resist the urge to say that you should not judge all people illiterate just because you are- that would be following up on your troll). this is not discussing, this is senseless trolling. Please do have fun setting your straw man on fire but at least add some content.

like me : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iSKCRcAwX8

IT DRIVES ME MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD!

seriously, I have read the article, I am surprised she really went through the 10 hours. choosing to make the task harder make her effort even more heroic. kudos to her.

too bad she did not write anything about the community.had she asked here I am sure everyone would have helped her and the article would have given a much better idea of what dwarf fortress really is.
cant stop playing DF?
 : (){ :|:& };:

shovelmonkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2013, 12:39:10 pm »

"10 Hours With Dwarf Fortress...."

That's like spending 5 minutes learning to drive stick and then rage quitting driving for good because you ground a few gears.
Reach out and crush someone!
Pages: 1 [2] 3