Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Command & Conquer (Generals 2)  (Read 987 times)

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
Command & Conquer (Generals 2)
« on: February 24, 2013, 05:34:40 pm »

"Command & Conquer (previously known as C&C: Generals 2) is an upcoming real-time strategy video game in the Command & Conquer series, developed by Victory Games for the Microsoft Windows platform. The game will use the Frostbite 2 engine and will also introduce downloadable content to the series. It is the first game in the series to be developed by Victory Games, making them the series' third developer after Westwood Studios and EA Los Angeles. Command & Conquer will be available exclusively on Electronic Arts' Origin distribution service. The game was announced as Command & Conquer: Generals 2 and would be a direct sequel to 2003's Command & Conquer: Generals. It was re-purposed as the first in a series of free-to-play games set in the Command & Conquer universe. It is currently planned to be released in 2013." ~ Copied from wikipedia.

So, thoughts? I've been a fan of the C&C series since the original game, called Command & Conquer. I've played and bought every game in the series, with the exception of some of the more recent Tiberium games.

I enjoyed Red Alert 3 and C&C 3, but felt like they had far too much in common with games like starcraft. While starcraft is a fun game in its own way, the C&C series was never a ten minute match style of games, at least in my opinion. I enjoyed building up my base and focusing on troop concentration, rather than spending a frantic five minutes building a pathetic base of tiny structures followed by ten minutes of spamming the counter to whatever my opponent was using. RA3 was slightly slower-paced, but I felt it strayed too far from what I enjoyed about the previous games.

My opinions of the latest C&C are pretty low, at least judging by what I've read so far. Free-to-play often means pay-to-win, origin is a hideous, disgusting piece of software (again, my own opinion), and any relation to EA means $400 of 'optional' DLC that makes the game playable. Plus, the name is confusing and unnecessary. Why not just call it Generals 2 instead of 'King Command and Conquer of EA the second'?
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Command & Conquer (Generals 2)
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2013, 05:51:01 pm »

From what I've heard about Generals 2, it's going to be one of those games that DOES. NOT. EXIST.  :-\

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2013, 05:52:35 pm »

I've left both this game and the CnC series for dead. I have one last glimmer of hope this may be good, but if it isn't, I will have no interest in the rest of the "series of free-to-play games set in the Command & Conquer universe"

At the very least I can play it without feeling cheated out of my money, like Tiberium Twilight did. So I guess there's that.
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2013, 06:04:46 pm »

- Free to play AKA pay to win
- EA Origin
- Downloadable content
- Generals 2

Yeah, I think I'll pass. It looks like another lame entry in a series that's been sadly limping along for a while now. Praise heavens that The First Decade includes all the good games as well as the EA stinkers.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Utter Insanitiy]
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2013, 06:28:23 pm »

I'd just like to know what happened with the teams that made RA3 and C&C3. Those games were brilliant, the rest of the sequels EA made are pure shit.
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.

aristabulus

• Bay Watcher
  • Fnordius Maximus
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2013, 06:46:36 pm »

I think they announced this initially, and made the course change to F2P, as competition to Age of Empires Online.  I'm guessing EA is too far along to just scrap the whole thing (still, stranger cancellations have occurred), but perhaps they will take some of AOEO's hard lessons to heart.  They already blew one lesson on the Origin/GFWL parallel.

That said, not gonna play it because it is on Origin, and because it is EA yet again reanimating the corpse of a studio they killed.
If iron is to become steel, it must feel fire! --ancient Dwarven proverb

What is steel compared to the hand that wields it?  --Thulsa Doom