Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Butchering..?  (Read 1844 times)

Lida_Brainbroken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Butchering..?
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2013, 10:28:42 pm »

Had a question on this.
Caged a Black bear, and the dwarf civ had no knowledge of them.
But slowing trainning him, they were getting the "Your civ is more knowledgeable on the taming of [Black bears]
Can you get it to a point where you can tame wild animals fully?
[Edit for grammar]

Yes, given enough time and practice, a civ will slowly gain training knowledge and eventually reach "Domesticated" levels.  Every following fortress of the same civ will start with the same knowledge level as the previous one, so if you don't accomplish it in the first one, eventually one of the following settlements will.  I'm not sure if the knowledge crosses into other dwarf civs, though.
She was on her way to the booze stockpile for a drink and got interrupted by the wyvern. It is not wise to stand between a grumpy senior and her booze.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2013, 02:15:53 am »

For an extremely low-maintenance but long-term solution, you can just ignore the animal until it dies of old age. Once it does, your butchers will automatically go to the cage, take the corpse to the butcher's shop, and start filleting. Note: Make sure the cage and its contents are not forbidden. Forbidden corpses = a butcher's shop cluttered with things like {prepared camel lung}, which everyone will ignore until it all rots and generates a ton of miasma.

IIRC, animals that die of old age outside a cage cannot be butchered at all.
Unless you necro res them. Then as far as I can tell, anything that would stop you from butchering it is rendered moot. Except the [SAPIENT] tag of course.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2013, 01:22:10 pm »

[Edit for grammar]
Yes, given enough time and practice, a civ will slowly gain training knowledge and eventually reach "Domesticated" levels.  Every following fortress of the same civ will start with the same knowledge level as the previous one, so if you don't accomplish it in the first one, eventually one of the following settlements will.
Civs can't currently make the jump from Expert to Domesticated, meaning that you'll have to start from wild animals in each fortress. Individual creatures can be fully tamed by training them as children, but you'll never be able to embark with cave crocs or jabberers unless you alter the creature raws.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Lida_Brainbroken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2013, 03:42:06 pm »

[Edit for grammar]
Yes, given enough time and practice, a civ will slowly gain training knowledge and eventually reach "Domesticated" levels.  Every following fortress of the same civ will start with the same knowledge level as the previous one, so if you don't accomplish it in the first one, eventually one of the following settlements will.
Civs can't currently make the jump from Expert to Domesticated, meaning that you'll have to start from wild animals in each fortress. Individual creatures can be fully tamed by training them as children, but you'll never be able to embark with cave crocs or jabberers unless you alter the creature raws.
That explains my failure to ever make that last step.  This is not reflected in the wiki.
She was on her way to the booze stockpile for a drink and got interrupted by the wyvern. It is not wise to stand between a grumpy senior and her booze.
Pages: 1 [2]