Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Butchering..?  (Read 1840 times)

Lopezruy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Butchering..?
« on: February 24, 2013, 05:28:24 pm »

I caught some one-humped camels in cages, and went into the animal status, switched them to be butchered then.. No dwarves going to do some butchering? Any help?

A_S00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Butchering..?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2013, 05:37:55 pm »

Assign them to a pasture to get them out of the cages...dwarves won't take them out to butcher them.

SnK-Arcbound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2013, 08:33:47 pm »

Don't take them out of their cages, they'll just go rampaging around. They need to be tamed before they can be butchered.

Lida_Brainbroken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2013, 09:18:22 pm »

Don't take them out of their cages, they'll just go rampaging around. They need to be tamed before they can be butchered.

Don't you mean "They need to be trained before they can be butchered."?
You can't tame an wild adult (edit) unless your civ has a "Domesticated" familiarity(/edit), and you can only successfully tame their offspring when very young.
Wild adults can only be safely pastured when trained to some degree, and only butchered when pastured but they don't need to be pastured to be butchered.
Only moments ago, I successfully butchered a caged "Stray Giant Flying Squirrel (*Trained*)".
As for semi-wild ones, I've no idea because I've never tried or seen any reason to try.  You can also safely pasture a Semi-wild adults.
I hope this prevents any confusion.

(note: This now looks just like my first, and last, feasibility report submission did.)   :o
« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 05:36:58 pm by Lida_Brainbroken »
She was on her way to the booze stockpile for a drink and got interrupted by the wyvern. It is not wise to stand between a grumpy senior and her booze.

Tsuliwaensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2013, 02:10:54 am »

They do not have to be pastured to be butchered, they can be in a cage. Simply build the cage they are already in. However, when they are led to the butcher they could break free and attack. It is safer to train them to semi wild status and then butcher them. I do not see problems with camels but mounts from goblin sieges are dangerous!

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2013, 02:22:18 am »

I do not see problems with camels

A camel kicked my head completely off in adventurer mode, once.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

FrankyPlaysGames

• Bay Watcher
  • Immolated Dwarf Punches
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2013, 02:28:24 am »

That Camel then became the hero of The Wondrous Realm, killing 50 goblins and Kobolds, as well as slaying a diety.
He earned the name Lovely Hump.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2013, 02:33:52 am »

That Camel then became the hero of The Wondrous Realm, killing 50 goblins and Kobolds, as well as slaying a diety.
He earned the name Lovely Hump.

I'm imagining a camel with a solid gold prosthetic hump to replace the one I chopped off shortly before he kicked off mine.  :D
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

kopout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2013, 03:00:06 pm »

You can't tame an wild adult, you can only successfully tame their offspring when very young.
Wild adults can only be safely pastured when trained to some degree, and only butchered when pastured but they don't need to be pastured to be butchered.
Only moments ago, I successfully butchered a caged "Stray Giant Flying Squirrel (*Trained*)".
As for semi-wild ones, I've no idea because I've never tried or seen any reason to try.  You can also safely pasture a Semi-wild adults.
[dalek] IN-COR-ECT![/dalek]
If you civs levle of familiarity with an animal is "Domesticated" they go right from wild to tame.
"Karl Marx: Family jewels"
"Everyone's equally less rich than me!"
Quote from: Lezard
...although I've been having so much fun failing at this I just about forgot what my original aim was.

Lida_Brainbroken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2013, 05:28:34 pm »

[dalek] IN-COR-ECT![/dalek]
If you civs levle of familiarity with an animal is "Domesticated" they go right from wild to tame.

Thanks for the correction.  I completely forgot about that.  Doh! :P
She was on her way to the booze stockpile for a drink and got interrupted by the wyvern. It is not wise to stand between a grumpy senior and her booze.

A_S00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2013, 07:06:29 pm »

They do not have to be pastured to be butchered, they can be in a cage. Simply build the cage they are already in.
Derp.  I've thought this was the case for quite a while.  The cage has to be a building, rather than in an animal stockpile?  That's probably where I got confused.

SixOfSpades

• Bay Watcher
  • likes flesh balls for their calming roundness
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2013, 08:35:33 pm »

For an extremely low-maintenance but long-term solution, you can just ignore the animal until it dies of old age. Once it does, your butchers will automatically go to the cage, take the corpse to the butcher's shop, and start filleting. Note: Make sure the cage and its contents are not forbidden. Forbidden corpses = a butcher's shop cluttered with things like {prepared camel lung}, which everyone will ignore until it all rots and generates a ton of miasma.

IIRC, animals that die of old age outside a cage cannot be butchered at all.
Dwarf Fortress -- kind of like Minecraft, but for people who hate themselves.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2013, 10:23:12 pm »

Animals that starve to death also cannot be butchered.

Myself, I just have hunters murder hunt the local wildlife and have the butch shop right next to the refuse pile (and tannery).  Hunters (that also have the butch and tan jobs enabled) bring the body back, and either drop it directly into the butcher shop, or into the refuse pile next to it for someone else to butcher.  No pastures, cages, or training needed.  Sufficient available butchers to ensure it doesn't rot first is required, however. :D
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

foop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2013, 08:27:13 am »

The cage has to be a building, rather than in an animal stockpile?  That's probably where I got confused.

In my experience (in 34.11), butchering works straight from a cage in an animal stockpile.  I have been collecting albatrosses in cages (one of them crippled a baby, the bastards, so I must wreak my revenge).  Once they have been trained I can order their butchery in the animals z-menu and the butcher collects them from the cage in the animal stockpile.

Vox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2013, 10:17:30 pm »

You can't tame an wild adult (edit) unless your civ has a "Domesticated" familiarity(/edit), and you can only successfully tame their offspring when very young.

(note: This now looks just like my first, and last, feasibility report submission did.)   :o

Had a question on this.
Caged a Black bear, and the dwarf civ had no knowledge of them.
But slowing trainning him, they were getting the "Your civ is more knowledgeable on the taming of [Black bears]
Can you get it to a point where you can tame wild animals fully?
[Edit for grammar]
You... You're about to weaponize chickens. You are my hero.
Pages: [1] 2