Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 19

Author Topic: This World of Ours - Hard Roleplay - Two Slots Open  (Read 17349 times)

Gotdamnmiracle

• Bay Watcher
  • Or I'll cut ya to dust.
    • View Profile
Re: This World of Ours - Hard Roleplay - Under Construction
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2013, 08:26:24 pm »

While I don't know how many stat points we get, I think I know how I'd allocate them.
How do we allocate them, by the way?
Thats what I was wondering. Since 10 is the average, perhaps I'd roll 3d6 until I get a number between 8 and 12? Rinse and repeat? Or something..

Eh….

Do ittt. But handicap if a skill gets over pointed. No 6 across the boards.
Go back see if he's there and run him over, and drink his gun!

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2013, 08:26:30 pm »

Quick, ask someone in the DnD 3.5 thread!
You do it! I'm busy! ::)

While I don't know how many stat points we get, I think I know how I'd allocate them.
How do we allocate them, by the way?
Thats what I was wondering. Since 10 is the average, perhaps I'd roll 3d6 until I get a number between 8 and 12? Rinse and repeat? Or something..

Eh….

Do ittt. But handicap if a skill gets over pointed. No 6 across the boards.
Hard but still fair…
I'll consider it.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2013, 08:31:33 pm »

Name: Fred Karl Underhill
Nationality: American!
Role: Support
Previous Employment: Janitor, Amateur Science Fiction Writer

(I'd considered commander, but there can only be one, and I'm not one for the high lands, so...)
God damn it GreatWyrm! Go back and READ THE CHARACTER SHEET. Choose NSA, CIA or FBI as the government agency you were formerly employed at. FUUUUUUUUU---

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2013, 09:00:50 pm »

Turn_1: FIRST JOB.

All Players
Good evening, please sit down and make yourself comfortable, we're about to begin. My name is Kent Mansley and I'd like to ask you a few questions. I am aware that you were formerly employed as a member of one of our country's fine many intelligence and government affairs organisations, is that correct? What exactly were your responsibilities when you first came to the office? There is no time limit, and you may include as much information as you are comfortable disclosing. (Detective [+1 PER], Field Agent [+1 DEX], Forensic [+1 INT], Director [+1 CHA], Tactics Instructor [+1 STR], Materials Disposal [+1 CON]) What happened on the night that you encountered your first extraterrestrial or anomaly? Describe your experience in detail. This is the important part. I advise you to choose your words with extreme care, for what you are about to say now may very well alter the course of your entire life.

Andy Smith - (Xantolos) - CIA.ex - Investigator.ex
Spoiler: Stats (click to show/hide)

John Starboard - (scapheap) - FBI.ex - Support Tech.ex

Fred Karl Underhill - (GreatWyrmGold) - NSA.ex/CIA.ex/FBI.ex - Support Tech.ex

Alexander Gunnar - (IamanElfCollaborator - NSA.ex - Pilot.ex

William O'Bryan - Gotdamnmiracle - CIA.ex - Investigator.ex
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 01:13:36 am by GUNINANRUNIN »

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2013, 09:04:42 pm »

Guy from the 3.5 thread reporting in.

In d20 based systems, you roll a single 20-sided die (AKA a d20) and then add your bonus to it. Since the mean result on a d20+0 roll is 10.5, a task that has a DC of 10 succeeds 50% of the time for someone with no bonus and no penalties. They also succeed on a DC 9 task 55% of the time, a DC 8 task 60% of the time, a DC 20 task 5% of the time, etc. Giving people bonuses to their rolls gives them an increased chance to succeed. Every +1 on their die roll is a +5% chance to succeed on all related rolls. So someone rolling 1d20+4 succeeds on a DC 10 task 70% of the time, a DC 12 60% of the time, a DC 14 50% of the time and so forth.

The question of how many points to let people assign depends on A] how broad the categories you spend points on are (Getting a +1 to "classic ford automobile repair" should cost less than a +1 to "automobile repair" should cost less than a +1 to "repair" should cost less than +1 to "mechanical stuff"), B] on how many categories you're planning to let people have, and C] how big their bonuses are supposed to be starting out.

I see that you've chosen 6 pretty broad stats, so you'll want at least 6 points but maybe as many as 30 depending on how big their bonuses should be.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2013, 11:54:19 pm »

Guy from the 3.5 thread reporting in.

In d20 based systems, you roll a single 20-sided die (AKA a d20) and then add your bonus to it. Since the mean result on a d20+0 roll is 10.5, a task that has a DC of 10 succeeds 50% of the time for someone with no bonus and no penalties. They also succeed on a DC 9 task 55% of the time, a DC 8 task 60% of the time, a DC 20 task 5% of the time, etc. Giving people bonuses to their rolls gives them an increased chance to succeed. Every +1 on their die roll is a +5% chance to succeed on all related rolls. So someone rolling 1d20+4 succeeds on a DC 10 task 70% of the time, a DC 12 60% of the time, a DC 14 50% of the time and so forth.

The question of how many points to let people assign depends on A] how broad the categories you spend points on are (Getting a +1 to "classic ford automobile repair" should cost less than a +1 to "automobile repair" should cost less than a +1 to "repair" should cost less than +1 to "mechanical stuff"), B] on how many categories you're planning to let people have, and C] how big their bonuses are supposed to be starting out.

I see that you've chosen 6 pretty broad stats, so you'll want at least 6 points but maybe as many as 30 depending on how big their bonuses should be.
Thank you very much! I'll remember you my friend. You've done a spectacular job.

@Players I'll finalise the whole stat thing in a bit once I give it some more thought. For now, the first turn is up. Post your actions! You've got a whole day so take as much time as you need.

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
Re: This World of Ours - Hard Roleplay - One Slot Open
« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2013, 02:22:34 am »

"I was employed as a Field Agent two years ago at the NSA, sir. And I first encountered....them two years ago.

I was on a routine watch of a high-priority target, tailing him as per protocol, through an abandoned road he was driving down. Suddenly, a green flash just blinds me and rips the car apart, presumably killing him. It mercifully missed my car by inches, although the force was enough to knock me unconscious.

I suppose they were trying to brainwash me, or finish the job, because the next thing I saw was....some tall, inhuman thing come at me with a large helmet like object. I shot it dead, or....presumably dead in the heat of the moment. Can't tell with these things, can you, sir?

I unloaded the rest of my clip into it and escaped on foot. The target was never seen again and his file was closed. I recall he was called Albert Schliefe. German expat, reported to be working on secret rocket tech with Commie sleeper agents. I suppose that's why they went after him. Probably trying to keep humans out of space."
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 12:55:45 pm by IamanElfCollaborator »

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2013, 03:13:03 am »

"Well, sir, I was a detective in a drug bust operation in Guatemala when it happened. My unit were moving through the bush when we came along the worst thing I ever saw - there were men, skinned and hung from the trees, like, like wind chimes. We didn't know what the hell was going on, so we decided to get out fast. You've read the report, sir; you know what happened next. Members of our team were mysteriously murdered - our mini gunner lasered through the chest, some guy got his head ripped off - and eventually we became aware that something was hunting us. One of the dead managed to wound it a little, make it bleed. That cheered us up; if it bled, we could kill it. So we tried. Like dumbasses, but we tried.
We built a death trap, tried to lure it in, but it went around. Killed a bunch of us, and we had to sacrifice two squad members to delay it.
It kept at us like that, hunting until only I was left. The choppa chopper was only a few miles away. I was so close - and then it caught up to me. I challenged it - figured that it wanted to be seen as a macho alien, so it fought me hand-to-hand. It would've killed me if it hadn't fallen down a cliff in the struggle. I made it back to the choppa after that, but I have the feeling that it survived, sir. It's still out there, waiting for me.
And I'll get it someday, sir."
((No prizes for guessing which movie I ripped off.))
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

scapheap

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a good guy...girl. My horse just eat souls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 28, 2013, 03:13:25 am »

"I was a film director when I first saw whatever that thing was. It was 6 years now, I think, a clear night with just a bite of frost. I was driving home from shooting a movie about something, I think it was 'Expired faster' staring Harry Wells, you know, the bald chap. It jump out in front of my car, some sort of dog, if dogs were made teeths and tentacles. It ripped off the door of my car then keel over from a wound I could only see after it's death. The next day, I guess you lot had sealed off the road and put a wall around it."
You were planning to have a 15 year old magical girl kill Witches by drinking them under the table!? It's original, at least.
Morpheus, a magic girls game

Gotdamnmiracle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 28, 2013, 12:45:18 pm »

"I was a field agent, sir. I had been one for three years at the time, two months until the anniversary of my fourth... The mission was a simple one. We had evidence of an escaped federal criminal. A fellow who had done some serious embezzling and then just dropped off the face of the earth. Weird stuff, really. I had never heard of somebody embezzling a bunch from the BLM. But he managed to do it. From what I had heard he was some big chemical manager and industrial hygienist type. An egg head...

Well we had heard he was in Brazil, purchasing a large amount of raw elements you usually see people trying to get rid of. Cadmium, arsenic, we originally found him when he bought a bunch of polonium. Only god knows why he would need all that crap. Brass was worried he was making weapons for some of the guerrilla types in the surrounding countries but was so early in development we shouldn't expect much of a fight.

We suited up at dawn and helo'd in by night. Me and six other agents walked into his little compound with no resistance. Walked in, that's right, the place wasn't even locked. The weirdest part was this place was essentially a farm house, the only reason I call it a compound was because he was dug in. The tunnels looked smooth. Strange, they didn't even look structurally sound, no supports or anything but big enough for a man to walk in with his arms spread.

Well we got in and visualized him in a room talking with a person we couldn't see. There was this door that had a bunch of hot air shooting out of it and a bunch of sterile panels and bright lights inside. The person was around the corner and was chatting in hushed tones. There were lots of bars of metals we later identified as raw elements, some exotic.

Anyway, we moved in to make the arrest and startled both him and the exotic. The exotic rushed into the sterile room and the door quickly slammed shut and the criminal reached for a weapon we later identified as exotic. We neutralized him and were searching te place for a way into the sterile room. I left the compound to call in our where-abouts when I heard a hellish loud noise. Not like ignition, more like a shriek. The ET was taking off and shot out of the soil about a mile away from the farmhouse, leaving a huge pit. None of the other agent's bodies were ever found.

I called for evac, rather startled after that. I'm sure you have recordings of my radio conversation with the helo. You probably know the rest of the story after that."
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 07:50:45 pm by Gotdamnmiracle »

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #40 on: February 28, 2013, 07:26:47 pm »

"I was a film director when I first saw whatever that thing was. It was 6 years now, I think, a clear night with just a bite of frost. I was driving home from shooting a movie about something, I think it was 'Expired faster' staring Harry Wells, you know, the bald chap. It jump out in front of my car, some sort of dog, if dogs were made teeths and tentacles. It ripped off the door of my car then keel over from a wound I could only see after it's death. The next day, I guess you lot had sealed off the road and put a wall around it."
I really hope this is a joke. Please take all the silly out right now.

You know what? Nevermind.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 07:38:24 pm by GUNINANRUNIN »

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #41 on: February 28, 2013, 07:49:12 pm »

Waiting on GWG.

Gotdamnmiracle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 01, 2013, 04:38:53 pm »

Can we get on with this. I don't know what GWG's deal is but he is not posting anything up in here. Pick him up later, please.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #43 on: March 01, 2013, 07:12:31 pm »

Can we get on with this. I don't know what GWG's deal is but he is not posting anything up in here. Pick him up later, please.
Right.

I even PM'd him, and I can see him posting on other threads.. Turns up in a bit…
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 07:14:02 pm by GUNINANRUNIN »

Gotdamnmiracle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 01, 2013, 07:13:36 pm »

Woop! Excited.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 19