Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Run DF with a 2 Ghz cpu ?  (Read 1516 times)

Habsfan1997

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Run DF with a 2 Ghz cpu ?
« on: February 24, 2013, 10:55:43 am »

Hi everybody,

I have an I5 processor so I don't have problem to run DF but my brother wants to play DF now, but he only have a 2 Ghz cpu with 512mb of RAM.I know this is weak, but if he plays on a small map with a lower population cap, would he be able to play with a correct fps ?

Thanks !  :)

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
Re: Run DF with a 2 Ghz cpu ?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2013, 11:01:22 am »

I play on a 1.7GHz dual core laptop running at around 30 fps with 150 to 170 dorfs without much issue other than a lot of heat. I set one core to have affinity with DF set to high priority and dump everything else on the other core. Granted, I limit myself to 3x3 embarks and agressivley atomsmash on maps customized to have only one cavern to save pointless depth. Though the 2 gig of RAM helps a lot I assume.
This is a blank sig.

HavingPhun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2013, 11:06:08 am »

If you could upgrade the ram it would help but if not don't gen huge worlds. Try smaller worlds with shorter histories.

Habsfan1997

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2013, 12:20:21 pm »

But do you think he will be able to play normally ?

chevil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2013, 12:28:06 pm »

Yes.
He may need to use a lower popcap.

Habsfan1997

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2013, 12:30:14 pm »

Yes, he will use a lower population cap and if this is not enough, he will turn off the temperature and weather.

Bobnova

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2013, 10:16:06 pm »

Should be acceptable with smallish worlds and a low population cap. The RAM may well be a larger issue than the CPU, really.
how do I lizard Werewolf
ther seems to be a little gecko problem somehwere.
O gawd, drank all ten beers. And 3/5 of this at dinner.  I'm dronk.

Monsieur Fish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2013, 11:34:00 pm »

He'll be fine. I use a Thinkpad from 2007 and it runs okay. Now if I can get over that hump at the beginning I'd play all the time.

Wayward Device

• Bay Watcher
  • Has no dealings with the incarnations of gods
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2013, 09:37:56 am »

I used to play quiet happily on a laptop with about double the ram and a slightly shittier processor than the one described. As well as a lower pop cap (I'd set it to 80, IIRC that's the pop threshold for sieges) a smaller embark is your friend. I'd suggest going 3x2 or even 2x2. 2x2 is really all the space and resources you need. I also heartily agree with the suggestion to gave only 1 cavern layer and a shallow world. All that will really help with the pathfinding, which is the biggest lag culprit. Oh, and running water might be a thing to avoid (no 50 tile wide rivers).   
or maybe Valve goes out of business because they invested too heavily in something which then fails - like, say, human civilization.
Alternatively, initiate strife to refuse additional baked goods, and then abscond.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2013, 09:46:53 am »

I can attest from personal experience that it is possible to run DF on a PIII 1GHz with 256MB RAM. The world generation needs to end before the year 100, the embark needs to be 3x3 maximum, with 20 popcap, and weather turned off. With this setup I managed to keep the game at ~15fps initially, and ~5 later on.
The greatest lag was during waiting for the game to initialise after hitting embark, for some reason. 10-15 minutes were a norm.

Anyway, your mate should do fine.

Mushroo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2013, 12:17:42 pm »

I also used to play DF on a pentium 3 with 256mb RAM. I ran in Linux text-mode using nanofort to make a 1x1 embark. Ran pretty well, quite playable. :)

Habsfan1997

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2013, 04:45:46 pm »

Thank you for your helpful reponses  :D