Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Quest for the doors! Competitive RTD (see inside for details!)  (Read 2237 times)

Quiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Quest for the doors! Competitive RTD (see inside for details!)
« on: February 23, 2013, 04:59:01 pm »

So. An introduction

This is going to be an RTD that is loosely based off of multiworld madness, for citations sake here is said RTD - http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=24188.0. The idea of having "multiple worlds" is borrowed (though in a different way) as well as the general lack of restrictions on actions. I am still quite new to running RTDs so I went with a concept that has been proven to have worked and added my own little twist, detailed below.

So. The title says that this is a competitive RTD, let me explain how this is going to work.
Once in world, you guys will find instructions regarding green doors, and instructions to stop or kill anyone attempting to follow through with said instructions with another colour door.

In another forum, somewhere on the web (where I doubt any will find it) there is another group of players who are attempting to complete the same set of instructions relating to the orange doors. You will almost certainly bump into them over the course of your adventure and thus come into conflict with them, in addition to the fact that you will be competing for the prize. While both you and they will know of the existance of another group, neither will be told where they are, or what they are doing or given any more information. As far as you would know, they are just another group of NPCs. There will still be plenty of true NPCs to deal with.

Since the other group is a tiny bit ahead, I'll probably fudge the roles here a little, especially to help you build up a little bit of power.

The setting will vary from fantasy to scifi over the course of the adventure, so try to make a character who has a bit of a generic class you will pick up plenty of weird abilities and powers later.

If you want to play, make and post a character below, a character needs to involve...
Name:
ONE Special power/ability: (subject to my approval/balancing)
Traits: Any special personality traits your character has

NOTE: YOU WILL NOT START WITH ANY WEAPONS/OTHER ITEMS. However there is nothing stopping you attempting to materialize some our of thin air, yes you can do this

HOW A TURN WORKS:

Everybody posts an action, you are allowed ONE action per turn (except actions that take little to no time, I will be final arbitrator on what actions are free, in the event of several actions posted I will use the first one).
After everyone has posted their actions I will roll a six (6) sided dice for each action to decide the results
1 - epic fail
2- fail
3 - basic success
4 - great success
5 - amazing success
6 - overshot, action is success but with drawback for excessive zeal

Actions may have modifiers based on your current state, the environment, how easy the task is and other factors, I will include the modifiers visibly into the dice roll

the three actions currently not allowed are becoming immortal, or a god, or messing with time. this list may expand. ANY OTHER ACTION IS FAIR GAME, though level of success will be determined by me and may require modifiers to have a chance of succeeding.

Permadeath is not in effect at the start of the RTD

OTHER RULES

Inactivity:
If you don't think you are going to be here for a while, let me know and I will NPC you, your character will only perform basic, non game changing actions (if anything) for the period (this is for if you go away). after a few days (lets say two, basically any time after 24 hours when I decide to post another turn) of inactivity you will automatically be NPCed until you post another action again.

DM rule: My word is FINAL, on EVERYTHING. I don't plan to be a megabitch DM but when I need to put my foot down or change the rules around a little for the enjoyment of the many over the few It will be final.

START OF TURN ZERO: To join in, just post a character and your first action and I will include you in the next turn

You wake up in a large, Victorian style bedroom, lying on a huge purple poster bed. a wooden door lies closed against the opposite wall. a small bed stand sits next to the bed with a sealed envelope resting upon it and a chest of drawers lies on its side in front of the door. oil lamps burn at various points around the room.

Edit; I should note, you all have no equipment on you nor any clothes except underwear (for the moment)
(lack of instructions is intended)

Players: NOW FULL
Scapheap
Remuthra
GreatWyrmGold
Wwolin
Greenstarfanatic
superBlast
AKingsQuest
NAV
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 10:22:54 pm by Quiles »

scapheap

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a good guy...girl. My horse just eat souls.
    • View Profile
Re: Quest for the doors! Competitive RTD (see inside for details!)
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2013, 05:10:04 pm »

Name:Ash Dark
Class:Rider
ONE Special power/ability:Dr Dolittle (can talk with animals)
Traits: Animal lover, Beast-like

look under bed
You were planning to have a 15 year old magical girl kill Witches by drinking them under the table!? It's original, at least.
Morpheus, a magic girls game

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2013, 05:16:07 pm »

Name: Fishlord Joe
Class: Conjurer
ONE Special power/ability: Conjure various aquatic creatures, often at high speed
Traits:
Completely focused on one goal: the acquisition of a pet narwhal
Crazy old sea captain

Search Drawers, then read letter.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 05:36:50 pm by Remuthra »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2013, 05:35:20 pm »

Ora Patel
Male
Medic
Fleshwarp: Can change the form of others to an extent--sufficient to heal minor wounds easily, at least.
Kindly but can be angered; don't do so, for his wrath is kinda scary.

Grab the envelope and search the drawers.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Wwolin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXTRA_BUTCHER_OBJECT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2013, 05:42:01 pm »

Name: Philip Jones
Class: Librarian
ONE Special power/ability: Can learn how to do anything just by reading about it
Traits: Kind of an ass, and sees other people as inferior to himself

Open and read the envelope, then look through the drawers.
I meant we'd start stabbing the walls and floor for points and not just for science.

Greenstarfanatic

• Bay Watcher
  • I wanna be a cow boy babey
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2013, 10:00:24 pm »

Name: Alexis Monroe
Class: Assassin
ONE Special power/ability: Eagle Vision (Yay Blatant Ability Reusing!)
Traits: Never one to stray from the shadows, Alexis doesn't have much social skill, but has enough to know that men are quite attracted to her. She has used this to her advantage many times in the past.
Attempt to get clothed. And armed.

Hover over the Ability for a description. I'll do that with anything that's underlined.
Hey, don't forget about research boy sitting right here!

superBlast

• Bay Watcher
  • The guy that loves nukes too much
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2013, 10:14:05 pm »

Name: Rand
Class: Dark Mage
Ability: Dark Matter Magic (Can make dark matter out of then air and form it to his imagination)
Traits: Evil, Manipulative, Sadistic, Looks down on people, bad with animals, bad temper when things don't go as planned.

Form dark matter clothes and a sword.
"Come oooooon, a little insanity never hurt anyone.... Well except for that one guy, but never mind him." -superBlast

I gots a new livestream! Check it out here at http://www.twitch.tv/iamsuperblast

AKingsQuest

• Bay Watcher
  • The king lost his golden pantaloons, go find them.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2013, 10:59:16 pm »

Name: Jackson "Flame Fist" Lindberg

Class: Martial Artist

Ability: He can create and manipulate fire around his hands. His hands can't be burned.
           Knows how fight in hand to hand combat.

Traits: Aggressive, determined, cocky, sarcastic, always up for a fight.

Take envelope, then look for something to wear.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2013, 11:04:12 pm »

Name: Jackson "Flame Fist" Lindberg

Class: Martial Artist

Ability: He can create and manipulate fire around his hands. His hands can't be burned.
           Knows how fight in hand to hand combat.

Traits: Aggressive, determined, cocky, sarcastic, always up for a fight.

Take envelope, then look for something to wear.
I think the second ablility needs a move to trait, especially since the max at start is one ability.

Quiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2013, 03:31:22 pm »

Sorry guys, been a busy few days.
As soon as I next get some time, it will be spent on posting the first turn, until then thanks for the patience :)
(This may be tomorrow, I have a paper to write today unfortunately)

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2013, 05:26:53 pm »

Can I join this please?

Name: Aaron S. Tait
Class: Mutant
Ability: Has wings growing out of back, can fly.
Traits: helpful, reckless, takes everything literally.

Make clothes out of bedsheets, open and read envelope
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Quiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2013, 10:52:43 pm »

TURN ONE

Keep in mind, I do the turns based on order posted, so if you have the same action as the guy before you it WILL result in you doing nothing, so read what the others are doing!

Ash Dark: Look under bed

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Fish Joe: Search Drawers

Ora Patel: Grab Envelope

Philip Jones: Open and read envelope

Alexis Monroe: Attempt to get clothed and armed.

Rand: Form dark matter clothes/sword

Jackson Lindberg: Take envelope, look for clothes

Aaron S. Tait: Make clothes out of bedsheets

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2013, 11:04:29 pm »

Check dressers. If useable clothes are within, don them.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Greenstarfanatic

• Bay Watcher
  • I wanna be a cow boy babey
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2013, 11:06:50 pm »

Get shoes. And a Knife. Or...something. Proceed out the nearest door. Or Window. Whatever.
Hey, don't forget about research boy sitting right here!

superBlast

• Bay Watcher
  • The guy that loves nukes too much
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2013, 11:50:48 pm »

Exit the room via door. When I leave lock the door with my dark matter powers by filling in the lock inside the doorknob.

((I'm gonna trap you all inside hahaha!))
"Come oooooon, a little insanity never hurt anyone.... Well except for that one guy, but never mind him." -superBlast

I gots a new livestream! Check it out here at http://www.twitch.tv/iamsuperblast
Pages: [1] 2