Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Dungeons and Dragons  (Read 3070 times)

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons and Dragons
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2013, 09:59:54 am »

Get to that in a second, sure(except use rope. Combine that with escape artist instead), and yes.

It's eberron-ensue, but more feudal, less optimistic and steampunky. Lots of magic in the world, but magic is dangerous, so it's very...scaling. Blessings and wards are common, bound elementals or demons making your wagon go? Less common. Background is really quite European, though other cultures are where you wouldn't expect them, this being fantasy. And the races? If you're interested in being a race you find underpowered(humans are not underpowered. I think.) just ask me, and I'll try to balance it. I gave kobolds natural trap sense, lesser stone cunning, a bonus to charisma and dexterity, a natural armor bonus, and a penalty to con and strength, once. I think it worked out.

There's a change to magic, by the way. You have to make an ability roll in order to cast a spell, up to three for spells with long casting times. The DC is 5 plus twice the spell level. Yes, an ability roll. DC 23 for ninth level spells. There can of course be feats to help with this, and the aid another action does work. That what rituals ar, partially. Higher for some spells. Concentration checks are made before this.

And as warning? Failing said heck by five or more prompts Happy Fun Stuff. So go ahead wizard. Try to cast Gate. You have a one in two chance with your 36 Int to fail, and lose the spell. Mwahaha! Really, it's a pretty simple change, doesn't make it so low level spells are difficult, but being an ability check, it scales well with levels. I think.

I do like the combined skills. Decipher Script will be part of forgery, Jump and Swim are the same(climbing is different though), craft and appraise, etc. As well, the ability modifiers should be though of as 'usual' abilities. If you're discussing Histaclopathian ethics with someone, that's probably a knowledge check but using your charisma, or a diplomacy check but using you intelligence.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 10:07:58 am by Rolepgeek »
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2013, 10:19:14 am »

Ah, i love playing Kobolds. :3

In fact, I am working on my Dire Weasel Rider Kobold Ranger right at this moment...

Tell me what you think of this class substituion, and if you would allow it RPGeek. Also if it would fit and/or be useful in the setting with some lore tweaking.
Spoiler: Kobold: Ranger (click to show/hide)
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2013, 10:32:11 am »

Are there many constructs?
How about magicians--how common are they?
How is the local nation's government organized, how big is it, does it have any neighbors?
How common are magical creatures?
What level are we starting at?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2013, 10:54:20 am »

Dwarmin, that looks pretty much fine. However, I'm gonna make a change to favored enemy. For humanoids, there's only Orc, goblinoids, reptilian, and human-like. If they take fey, humanoid(human-like)! Then it's +3, but only in the case of dwarfs and goblins for the human-like. As well...dire weasels are tough bastards. I'm willing to let you get it at plain 1/2 level, but only if you don't get the companion until level six. And you can select other animal companions. Normal weasels, perhaps?

Okay, a few more changes. Add mechanics to the list of skills. Remove track and endurance as bonus feats. Those tunnels...there's not many places for the prey to escape to...

They're rare. Big, if used, not war forged like. More like living cranes.
A bit more common than in typical DnD, but watched carefully. Them HFS.
It's feudal. Does it matter? If so, medium small. Of course it has neighbors.
Common, ish. Magic is done on very large or relatively small scales, usually. Farmers with enhanced livestock aren't uncommon, but ones who breed bloody chimeras are. Dragons aren't usually a problem.
I said already, lvl 1.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 11:03:08 am by Rolepgeek »
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2013, 11:41:07 am »

Missed the level bit.

We need a mage-type, no? Would a Warlock be acceptable, RPG?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2013, 12:53:23 pm »

We need an everything, right now. Warlock is fine. Remember, first level, so only one invocation.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2013, 01:02:25 pm »

I'm thinking I'll play a mage character of some sort. Character Sheet in progress.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2013, 01:28:53 pm »

Dang it, competition...

Would bloodlines be acceptable? It seems neat and flavorful and I just got this great name from Seventh Sanctum...
Sig

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2013, 01:32:24 pm »

Still in progress, but here's the customary pure mage.
Are evil alignments allowed? (I assume not)

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2013, 01:40:47 pm »

I'd be willing to show you how to use Maptool sometime. It has a built-in die roller, so you won't need Roll20 during sessions.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2013, 01:48:10 pm »

http://invisiblecastle.com/stats/view/32420/
There be my rolls.
Max hp or roll?
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 01:51:29 pm by Remuthra »

scapheap

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a good guy...girl. My horse just eat souls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2013, 02:24:38 pm »

Any one know where a editable online(or download) character sheet that not myth weavers(Yahoo not allow as your email)
You were planning to have a 15 year old magical girl kill Witches by drinking them under the table!? It's original, at least.
Morpheus, a magic girls game

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2013, 02:32:50 pm »

Maybe improvise something from Google Docs?
Sig

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2013, 02:40:26 pm »

dndsheets.net

Max hp.

I'mma say no on bloodlines.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.