Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: What's your graphics card?  (Read 2400 times)

Freshmaniscoolman

• Bay Watcher
  • Internecivus raptus
    • View Profile
What's your graphics card?
« on: February 23, 2013, 01:22:46 pm »

What is your graphics card, and how well it can run games? (saying this because I want to get a new computer),

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's your graphics card?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2013, 01:26:28 pm »

Give a price point and how many monitors you expect to need and what sort of games you play and whatever else comes to mind.

Nistenf

• Bay Watcher
  • The cake is a lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2013, 02:08:23 pm »

My GPU is an old 8800GT, but yeah, tell us how much you can spend

Graven

• Bay Watcher
  • Don't we all just love contact juggling?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2013, 02:10:50 pm »

Hey, I'm on Radeon HD 4570 on a laptop.

Apart from that, check this out : http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107.html

Best graphic cards for the money, Tom's Hardware. Good stuff.
What a strange and beautiful world I beheld, but dangerous too, I was certain. And I was friendless and homeless. And so I prayed.
"Hear me, exalted spirits. Hear me be you gods or devils, ye who hold dominion here. I am a wizard without a home. I am a wanderer seeking refuge."

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2013, 02:20:57 pm »

EVGA Nvidia GTX 660 Ti here.

Damn good. Runs everything on the highest of the highest settings. Pretty gigantic card, as it covers two ports and is about 40% of my entire motherboard's size.

If you game a lot on the PC I recommend you avoid the low and mid end budget cards and go straight up to the high end "budget" cards. This way you avoid having buyer's remorse 3 months in when your older card becomes invariably outdated. The fact that it was already outdated when you bought it will just make you sad pretty fast. If you immediately get an amazing card straight out, you won't get that same feeling until quite a long time in the future.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2013, 02:23:46 pm »

Same for me, except I use an Nvidia 9800 GT

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2013, 02:26:27 pm »

I got a GTX 550 Ti, myself. I was lucky enough to nab it during a Newegg sale. It's a good card, more than capable of handling a lot of more modern games, even if it doesn't do so quite as well as its newer cousins. You might have issues finding it, though, Newegg says it's discontinued.
Nothing important here, move along.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2013, 03:00:02 pm »

GTX 660M, on a lappy. A good lappy, mind you. I can run most modern games with playable FPS on medium-high settings, depending on the game.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

ComputerWarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2013, 03:15:19 pm »

The "daily-use" desktop computer I have has a ATI Radeon 9150 graphics card installed in it... with 64MB vram, and is capable of running any game from 2004 to the DOS era, not to mention one or twol AAA games from recent times (2004 onwards)!

My gaming laptop, on the other hand, is equipped with a Geforce 520MX video card, with 1024MB vram, and is quite capable of running virtually everything save for playing in a huge map in DF.
Aye, but when you play a fighter, only doors will know fear in your presence.

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2013, 03:16:55 pm »

I've got a 560ti. Runs everything at mid-to-high settings, generally with shadows and post processing being the first things to get turned down. You have to fiddle with the settings to get a decent balance between frame rate and looks, but it's not a bad card for just $200. I'll be upgrading to a 600 series GPU once I get my new computer, though.

I recommend aiming high on graphics cards, too. They're one of the core components that will make games run fast and look nice, so if you can afford it, going into the $300 or even $400 range is an investment that'll keep you for a good while before you even have to think about turning the graphics down on new games. You may want to wait to see what the new consoles are going to be packing, though: Most near future AAA games are going to be based around their hardware, so if you're uncertain it'll be a good start to know what ranges you're looking at.

Also, something to know about GPUs: The number of GB on the things don't really matter as much any more, and 2 GB is plenty even for the meatiest (Affordable) GPUs, so don't pay extra for anything that has more than that (At least, until we get around to newer models that do need it). It's basically RAM on the GPU, and if the GPU's fast, it'll be pumping data out quickly enough where having more gigs won't increase performance in the slightest. What you're looking at is how many bits it has and how many MHz it runs. Higher is better, naturally, but go for higher bits before MHz.

If you're planning on upgrading with dual GPUs in the future, remember both GPUs have to be in the same series - So a 500 series won't hook up with a 600 series. If you're thinking about doing it right now, remember that not all games support it, and you'd be better off dropping $500 on one GPU rather than $400 on two.

Another thing that's good to know, PCI slots on your motherboard don't always need to be x16, either. 99% of the time with new cards, the jump from x8 to x16 is marginal. The big thing you want to look at is whether it's 3.0 or 2.0. See, a 1.0 x16 is as good as a 2.0 x8. It's multiplicative, so if you get a 3.0 x8 PCI slot, you'll be running just fine. You might get a 1% improvement if you jump to a 3.0 x16 from 3.0 x8, and that's only with the best cards on the market. Also, they're basically all compatible with each other, so you don't need to go and try to match up PCI slots with your GPU, and you don't have to worry about compatibility if your GPU is still around when/if they come out with 4.0 PCI slots. This all mostly comes into effect when using dual GPUs, since some motherboards turn their x16 slots into x8, but don't worry, it won't be a big deal.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 03:28:39 pm by Knight of Fools »
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2013, 03:31:42 pm »

670 here. I would have gotten the 660 and save some money except for whatever reason the 660 only has a 192bit memory bus. You generally don't want anything below 256bit.

Nowadays I would have gotten something better, but until people start making games that require better graphics processing I think I'll be set for a while.

Oh... but you know... *shakes fist at ARMA3* >_>

EDIT: I use EVGA when I go with Nvidia, good cards, but I haven't tried any other.
EDIT2: I have heard that Nvidia drivers are generally better than AMD ones, so if you're going with a cheaper 'bang for your buck' ATI card then keep in mind the drivers may not end up helping you... can anybody confirm this?
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 03:37:11 pm by OzyTheSage »

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2013, 03:38:22 pm »

Knight of Fools:

Apparently the PS4 is merely a somewhat mid-high PC. Even the architecture is similar to a PC, so emulation should be pretty easy too. Not sure about the XBOX whatever.

Vorbicon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2013, 03:59:17 pm »

I use the ATI 7970. It's powerful, but it can get annoyingly loud in intensive games. I've heard that similar Nvidia cards are quieter, and had I known that when buying a card I probably would have gone with one of those instead.

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2013, 04:07:06 pm »

Knight of Fools:

Apparently the PS4 is merely a somewhat mid-high PC. Even the architecture is similar to a PC, so emulation should be pretty easy too. Not sure about the XBOX whatever.
Thanks. It's not something I really keep up with, honestly.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2013, 04:38:59 pm »

560ti is probably the best of the last wave of cards from Nvidia you could get. I regret not spending the extra $40 or so to go from the 550ti to the 560. The 550ti is ok, but when push comes to shove it still struggles a little bit, where the 560 would pass easily, other system hardware withstanding.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
Pages: [1] 2 3