Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Automatically add dug out areas to safe burrow  (Read 759 times)

isitanos

• Bay Watcher
  • Seasonal river flood nostalgic
    • View Profile
Automatically add dug out areas to safe burrow
« on: February 23, 2013, 12:39:38 pm »

Constantly updating the safe burrow (the area where the civilians retreat to during alerts) is a pain. I usually forget until danger arrives.

An in-game option to automatically add dug out areas adjacent to the safe burrow to the safe burrow would be useful. I'd only occasionally have to trim out areas that are traps or connections to the undergound caves.
Alternatively, the option could offer to only add smoothed or engraved areas.

Of course it has to be an option that's toggleable in-game, because whether activating that option is a good idea is gonna be very situational.

Immortal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Automatically add dug out areas to safe burrow
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2013, 01:04:51 pm »

I actually love that idea. I personally just designate the entire map below my main level as safe burrow then it updates as you dig that pre-selected area out. Either way the current system does almost what you wish but that feature would be nice too. Should also be an easy add.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2013, 01:07:56 pm »

I like it, but I'd hope the automatically expanding burrow includes hollows you connect with mining.  Where's the fun in not having your idiots rush into a cavern as soon as you break it open?
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

Khym Chanur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2013, 10:46:44 pm »

I'd make a few modifications to the idea:

1) When a square is dug out, add it to all the burrows which cover the square the miner is standing on.  Thus, if you have a mining burrow which to which only miners are assigned, the new square will go into the mining burrow, rather than being added to the "safe" burrow.

2) Don't automatically add caverns to the burrow.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2013, 04:36:19 pm »

Its already in game, in a sense.

You can designate even unmined stone as a burrow. While it is of course inaccessible when its unmined, as soon as you mine it out the tiles become pathable, and they're already part of the burrow. Things can be designated through multiple Z levels, and you can even create a single burrow that covers the entire embark space right from the very start. This is useful if you want to use the defend burrow command for your military, so your soldiers will engage any hostiles in their burrow. As the burrow is the entire embark, including all Z levels, this lets you create a very hands-off defense system if you want to go that route.

Deepblade

• Bay Watcher
  • Tholtarmid
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2013, 08:30:49 pm »

Isn't it just the walls you're currently seeing though?

I personally would find this annoying. I'd spend more time removing burrows than setting one up, at least the way I'm understanding the idea of this.
Deepblade's Standardized Creature Parts, for when you're pissed about all the different types of animal products there are.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2013, 12:27:36 am »

If you confine your fortress to, say, levels 35-45, you can just go ahead and desginate those entire levels as a safe zone right from the very start.

Then as you dig out your fortress, so long as the digging is done between levels 35-45, those newly dug spaces will be part of the burrow you already made.

This only works if you know roughly where your fortress will be and also only if you stick in the region you planned.