Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Battle for Wesnoth, 3rd Thread  (Read 1554 times)

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
Battle for Wesnoth, 3rd Thread
« on: February 23, 2013, 09:17:34 am »

Or maybe even fourth :v

http://www.wesnoth.org/

For those who don't know: Battle for Wesnoth is free turn-based strategy with fantasy elements, played on a hex grid. Units get experience and level, you claim villages to gain gold so you can comission more.

It has quite a lot of units, and the modders made zounds of capmaigns, maps, whole factions and eras.

So, any players out there? :3
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
Re: Battle for Wesnoth, 3rd Thread
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2013, 09:21:12 am »

Yup, well, I used to play a while ago, 1.9 I think. It's good, I think I may download the new version, actually.

What happened to other threads?
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2013, 09:33:41 am »

They died out, as far as I know v:
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Hoverdog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • StarLife
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2013, 09:39:16 am »

There's also a new Russian game that's pretty similar to Wesnoth: Crasleen. A demo's available, haven't played it yet.
http://www.crasleen.com/

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2013, 11:08:46 am »

I've been playing wesnoth a bit lately, given I've had periods of lots of free time but access only to an old EEE 900 netbook. Singleplayer only though, I don't feel like I'd be good enough for multiplayer. I struggle even against the computer.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2013, 11:19:01 am »

I've been playing wesnoth a bit lately, given I've had periods of lots of free time but access only to an old EEE 900 netbook. Singleplayer only though, I don't feel like I'd be good enough for multiplayer. I struggle even against the computer.

That's a bit of an odd assumption: computers don't make stupid mistakes, do get unfair bonuses (Civilization, I am looking at you!)...
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2013, 02:57:18 pm »

I'll ask this now as it's a dealbreaker for me. Is there magic?

Bonus points: is there necromancy/undead of any kind?
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

Hoverdog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • StarLife
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2013, 03:08:04 pm »

I'll ask this now as it's a dealbreaker for me. Is there magic?
there are mages, but they work as normal units. no 'overland' magic.

Bonus points: is there necromancy/undead of any kind?
Yes. There's even a necromancer campaign.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 03:17:29 pm by Hoverdog »

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2013, 03:13:09 pm »

Do the mages have like, activated spells or do they just have "magical" attacks?

The necromancer campaign alone is enough for me to give this game a whirl; thanks.
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

Nelia Hawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2013, 03:23:28 pm »

there isnt realy any "casting of spells"...  they are mostly just different attacks you can choose from.

i.e. a archer might has:
-bow 2 attacks 3 dam
-dagger 1 attack 2 dam

and a mage:
-fireball 1 attack 5 (magical damage)
-slow 2 attack 2 magical damage (+ slow effect)
-staff 1 attack 3 damage (blunt)

i.e. "age of wonders 2 shadow magic" is more the game if you want lots of magic casting.

wesnoth is more about placeing units on good terrain and attacking with the right weapons the right enemies.
just give it a try... its not like wesnoth is 20gb big.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2013, 05:04:26 pm »

Do the mages have like, activated spells or do they just have "magical" attacks?

The necromancer campaign alone is enough for me to give this game a whirl; thanks.

Not merely campaign, they are a playable faction with some interesting features. For example, tier 3 Necromancer (mage unit) and Zombie have an ability that, if a proper attack kills the enemy, raises the enemy as a zombie. Zombies are very cheap (if somewhat wimpy) to deploy. You can deploy a huge number of zombies. Zombies make more zombies. Do the math.

Also, the game is very moddable due to using LUA (IIRC), and I faintly recall ranged attacks added in one mod.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2013, 05:10:48 pm »

There IS some more interesting magic, though you don't see a lot of it in mainline. Most of it is fairly mechanical in nature - it IS a TBS, in the end, after all. But you can acquire a variety of magical artifacts, some mages get special abilities like raising defeated enemy units as zombies (for the Necromancers), Teleporting (Silver Mages), Healing (Probably the premier magic ability of use), being able to summon special units (Summoner), being able to slow enemy units (though this is something net wielding units can do as well), and casting light (time of day is important in the games ebb and flow, and this can really change the outcome of a battle as it makes night into dusk and dusk into day on nearby squares).

There is, however, very little difference between magical and non-magical special abilities - Leadership could just as easily have been flavoured as a magic boost, but it's just a regular unit ability.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2013, 05:12:18 pm »

Note that there's very extensive map scripting. I've played a dungeon crawl map where you can buy spells of a large variety that do more than just the basic ones.

mocman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2013, 10:57:56 pm »

anyone interested in playing wesnoth like right now for a few hours?
username - merezko
Have a wonderful day

Robosaur

• Bay Watcher
  • [POOP:INORGANIC: NUCLEAR_BOMBS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2013, 11:05:28 pm »

It's moddable????

OUT OF THE WAY CRAZY GUY COMING THROUGH I'M GONNA MOD THE EVERLOVING SHIT OUT OF IT
You are a terrible person and the sad truth is deep down you know it.
Pages: [1] 2