Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: [1 slot left] Desolation of New Stroud (OPEN-GM RP) OOC  (Read 2414 times)

King_of_the_weasels

• Bay Watcher
  • My own avatar creeps me out.
    • View Profile
    • Not even internet famous
[1 slot left] Desolation of New Stroud (OPEN-GM RP) OOC
« on: February 22, 2013, 06:40:31 pm »

It has been 5 years since the HLU virus first showed up on the corpse of a John Doe delivered to the New Stroud City Clinic Morgue.  Within 2 hours it had spread the entire block, with in 3 days the city was in chaos.  Bridges out of town were backed up, and those that did make it out were already infected.  In a vain attempt to keep the disease at bay.  The federal government issued a fire strike on the city, killing any and all civilians on the surface, and causing massive collateral damage. But it was too late. The disease had already spread to all corners of the state, and within weeks, the entire west coast. The few that survived firestorm were left alone and dying in the hellish ruins of their once grand city.  Some succumbed to hunger or the disease.  While others, the “immune” survived.  At least for this long.

This is an Open-GM roll to dodge.  What that means, is that YOU are the GM.  To be specific when you post, you first resolve the action of the player above you, before doing your own post. If the player above you does not post an action, you may post freely.

When resolving a post you roll a 1d6 plus or minus any modifiers the above player or you deem fit.  But first let’s go over the basics.

There are 2 types of rolls. Basic, and Versus.  Basic rolls follow the below formula;
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Versus challenges are whenever the character is directly in harms way, whether it’s a fight or survival scenario (such as falling through a collapsed floor)

The first roll of a versus challenge is the same as any other roll. (unless you entered the challenge on a 1, then you start with a disadvantage, see ahead) However on a failure (3 or below) the character moves down one level, and gains a disadvantage which confers a -1 to their following roll.  If they fail their next roll in the versus challenge, they gain an injury.  An injury either replaces, or adds a new trait, one related to the events that made them injured.
  Example: Player “A” fails a scavenge check in an old abandoned office building. Player “B” decides the floor below him begins to give out. Player “A” makes an attempt to jump to safety. Player “C” rolls his attempt and he rolls a 2, failing.  Player “A” is now grasping on to a beam, giving him a disadvantage. Player “A” attempts a climb check on his next turn. Player “B” returns and rolls a 4, which is lowered by 1 do to Player “A”’s disadvantage, Player “A” falls, and is injured.  Player “B” decides to give Player “A” a limp. Giving him a new Trait titled “Limp”, and the floor that Player “A” just landed on is also about to collapse.

If a player fails another check after receiving an injury, they are killed. Killed players are dead, and are out of the game.  If a player succeeds a roll, when disadvantaged or injured, they return to the normal beginning state. If they succeed in this state, they complete the versus challenge and may gain a new trait of their choice, or get rid of an old trait.

Continued example: Player “A” attempts to secure himself before the floor gives out. Player “E” jumps in on the fun and rolls a 6, a success. Player “A” is now back to his normal state, he attempts to climb out the pit he’s in. Player “B” returns and rolls a 5, and Player “A” makes it out of the pit.  Player “A” then decides that he does not like the new limp he has, and uses his new trait to instead get rid of his limp.

Traits:  Traits can be beneficial, but also detrimental.  To use a trait to your advantage you must follow a few rules.
1. You must have a boon point.
2. The way you wish to use the trait, must make sense.  You can’t use a
“hawkeyed” trait to benefit your lock picking attempt, but you could use “Deft Hands”.
3. You must use the point before the roll is made, and you must clearly state what you are using in your action.

Using a trait with boon point, gives you a +2 to your check.

Other players may use your traits against you, but to a lesser effect.  A person with the trait “Limp” may receive a -1 to their attempt to outrun a collapsing roof.  However if a player uses a one of your traits against you, you earn a boon.

Liabilities may be used to give you a -1 per liability spent to your current roll, by whoever is rolling for you. You gain nothing from this. They also lose nothing or gain anything themselves.

Other rules:
1. You may not roll, for the player who last rolled for you. This is to prevent bias, as well as prevent 2 players from getting ahead of everyone by posting for each other in a short time span.
2. Proper etiquette would be to allow everyone a chance to be rolled for before you post your action, however players in a Versus Challenge, or Players talking to each other may breach this term in order to keep things flowing.

Spoiler: character sheet (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: current players (3/4) (click to show/hide)

When we have all the players I will start the IC thread.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 11:00:02 am by King_of_the_weasels »
Slacker an illustrated story. Actually updated!?

scapheap

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a good guy...girl. My horse just eat souls.
    • View Profile
Re: Desolation of New Stroud (OPEN-GM RP) OOC
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2013, 07:14:11 pm »

Name:Larry Heart
Player:scapheap
Description: A teenage heartthrob with his white teeth, blue eyes and black hair. He is a very good at music.
Traits: Master of music
You were planning to have a 15 year old magical girl kill Witches by drinking them under the table!? It's original, at least.
Morpheus, a magic girls game

King_of_the_weasels

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2013, 07:20:38 pm »

Name:Larry Heart
Player:scapheap
Description: A teenage heartthrob with his white teeth, blue eyes and black hair. He is a very good at music.
Traits: Master of music

Can't tell if you chose that trait because you knew it would be nearly impossible to bite you in the ass.. or..

scapheap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2013, 07:24:03 pm »

I choose it because it seem like the most useless that was the least of a liability.
You were planning to have a 15 year old magical girl kill Witches by drinking them under the table!? It's original, at least.

King_of_the_weasels

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2013, 07:26:42 pm »

I choose it because it seem like the most useless that was the least of a liability.

-1 to your escape attempt, your guitar strings catch onto some loose wires.  *rolls a 3* -1 for trait -1 for disadvantage, oh no! You are injured as the loose wires still had high current running through them, I change the "trait master of music" into "busted guitar haver"

scapheap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2013, 07:27:52 pm »

and then it become a fighting boon.

King_of_the_weasels

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2013, 07:34:01 pm »

and then it become a fighting boon.

You're pretty good at this game :|

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
  • Did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2013, 10:52:21 am »

Name: Seth Morgan
Player: sjm9876
Description: An ex-mobster who's bulk made him very good at extorting money. Not much of a job left any more after the fire strike.
Trait: Large size.
My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.
But there's laughter and oh there is love, just past the edge of our fears.
And there's chaos when push comes to shove, but it's music to my ears.

Sigtext

King_of_the_weasels

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2013, 10:53:38 am »

We need one more.  While we wait does anyone have any questions?

scapheap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [1 slot left] Desolation of New Stroud (OPEN-GM RP) OOC
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2013, 11:27:22 am »

This HLU virus, I guessing it not a zombie virus?

King_of_the_weasels

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2013, 11:57:15 am »

This HLU virus, I guessing it not a zombie virus?

It is not, as much as I love zombies.  Most danger will be from other people and the environment.

King_of_the_weasels

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2013, 12:48:59 am »

Okay so people are clearly not interested, probably cause it's an unproven concept, or they hate me.  Probably both, I'm a terrible person.

So i'm just gonna start with 3 and allow 1-2 people jump in if they are interested.

The first post, isn't going to be my first actual post, it's going to be a summary post explaining what situation everyone is in, and giving them an obstacle.  Obstacles are just something to start a skill check on, after that they will get a situation and are free to make decisions, dependent on what happens (Stuff like traveling, talking to npcs if there are any, scavenging, checking stuff, what have you). Or possibly another obstacle, it really just depends on the whim of the dm. 

Here how it goes,

Scap you are coming up with my first obstacle, post it when ready.

I'm coming up with Sjm's

sjm you get scap

I'm gonna post the one i'm coming up with for Sjm for example.  I'm also going to give him a piece of equipment, which are like traits, but can be given up freely.

(quote of action)

{dice roll}

Here I would describe the action, but instead i'm gonna post my obstacle for Sjm.
   Morgan is currently on his way to meet what he hopes is a surviving member of the O'Donnell's Gang, named Patrick Kelley.  The last time he saw Patrick was 2 years ago, back before their old camp was attacked by a rival gang, The Reds.  He thought he was dead, until he started hearing about a guy called "The Pale Man" calling shots north of Reginald Park, in the old commercial district.  After hearing of the man's description from a traveling peddler, Morgan is sure this is his old compatriot, and if he's calling shots, Morgan wouldn't mind a slice of that cake.

Morgan decided to take the subway tunnels, since they were the least damaged in the fire strike.  Still a dark ruined hell hole, but still, "least" damaged.  He is currently taking the L-train, and by taking I mean walking on the elevated service walkway.  About half a mile down, he finally catches up with the train it's self, well part of it.

The path is obstructed by a subway car, there is a locked door to the service tunnels.  There is also enough debris to reach one of the sealed glass windows of the sunken part of the train, as well as the train door itself.

You still have your old 1911 pistol, with 3 rounds.  This gives you the equipment trait of "Loaded Gun"  Firing all the bullets (happens when you say they do or as an injury or in other situations) this will change to "Empty Gun" which can still be pretty useful, cause it's not like other people know it's empty.

Do not respond to this btw, we'll play the actual game in an ic thread.  Basically post the situation your assigned player is in, then I will post all 3 as the first post, then one of you will post your action, then I or the other player will post the reaction to your action (it doesn't have to be whoever first gave the obstacle), and then our action our obstacle, then we'll see how it works from there.

scapheap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2013, 04:33:47 am »

Are you opening the IC thread or am I?

King_of_the_weasels

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2013, 11:42:06 am »

Are you opening the IC thread or am I?

I am, you need to just come up with the first obstacle for me.  Then I will take all the obstacles and put them in the very first post, then the next post is someone doing their action, then the next post is someone resolving the action above them, then posting what they do with their obstacle, then the next guy does the same.

scapheap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2013, 11:46:50 am »

In here or PM?
Pages: [1] 2