Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Games where you run a company of mercenaries?  (Read 19611 times)

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
Games where you run a company of mercenaries?
« on: February 22, 2013, 06:08:07 pm »

I have a persistent craving for a game where I can run a mercenary company.  Setting is ultimately unimportant, but I have a slight preference for fantasy or medieval.  Bonus points if I have to worry about paying wages, equipping/training troops, diplomacy and food.  I have already played Mount & Blade, as well as Final Fantasy Tactics.  Something between the two would be ideal.  Any suggestions?
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
Re: Games where you run a company of mercenaries?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2013, 06:13:34 pm »

Jagged Alliance 2.

Modern game where you create a unique mercenary, and are given the job of liberating an island from a tyrannical ruler. It's turn based, and you can use funds that you acquire to hire other mercenaries and buy equipment. You can train a mercenary to be good at any task, from the squad medic to the stealthy sniper. You can also capture towns to get a steady income, and you can train local militias to defend the towns too.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2013, 06:16:51 pm »

Liberal Crime Squad?  It's Toady's previous game, not played myself.

...Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2013, 06:31:29 pm »

Suikoden 2. Definitely not a lot of management or paying mercs ect...it's essentially your garden variety medieval JRPG. But you get redonkulous amounts of playable characters, get a castle to call home base, your own personal chef, you can mix and match your party however you want...you're less mercenaries and more "small army."

Shadowrun for the Genesis totally fits the bill too.

Ogre Battles for the SNES or PSX/PS2...although like Suikoden 2, you're less mercs and more of a small army. But if you included FFT in your list, they will both be exactly what you're looking for, albeit in totally different formats.

Shining Force 1 & 2 for the Sega, same story as above. If you liked FFT you should be able to get into SF.

Warsong for the Sega or Der Langrisser for the SNES. Both games kinda mix mercenary leaders commanding squads of faceless mooks. May or may not fit what you're looking for.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 06:34:54 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2013, 06:45:37 pm »

Silent Storm series.

Setting is in WW2 and you control a squad of 5-6 soldiers. Each of them has background story and has a class (sniper, grenadier, medic, etc.). You get to create your own character (that must be present in every mission) but you choose the rest of your squaddies. There's RPG-like progression that includes branching skill trees.

I must say that it had an amazing physics for its time. Destructible walls, windows, ragdoll physics and all that.
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2013, 06:47:15 pm »

Etrian Odyssey would probably count.  I've been considering, if I ever learn to program, making a roguelike where you run a mercenary company.
Shoes...

Zyxl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2013, 07:01:42 pm »

Shining Force 1 & 2 for the Sega, same story as above. If you liked FFT you should be able to get into SF.
There was a Shining Force III for the Saturn I highly recommend, as a fan of SFI and II on the genesis. Best of the series in almost every aspect. Runs fine on emulators.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2013, 07:03:46 pm »

There's some pretty cool suggestions here, but I was hoping for something on a bit of a grander scale.  Is there anything a little closer to the M&B side of the scale (large scale battles, different factions, more of a sandbox focus)?
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Nelia Hawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2013, 07:50:31 pm »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bladestorm:_The_Hundred_Years%27_War

sadly its on playstation 3

basically your a mercenary leader with troops and can join any of your troops and lead them (i.e. horses or archers or two handers etc) the rest you command around... and you jump into the fight between france and britain and can help the one side.. or the other .. or both ... or kill all... or help england first then france then england.. capture castles...
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 07:52:52 pm by Nelia Hawk »

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2013, 08:10:18 pm »

Bladestorm is extremely, extremely gamey. Nothing seems more out of place than a dude leading a bunch of Lancers while he's dressed completely in Samurai armor.

It's definitely not everyone's cup of tea. If you're into lower end games, and aren't easily disappointed/are easily entertained (like me), I'd say give it a shot.

Running around in the squads is also iffy. Everyone gets in a straight line or two and until they're in combat, it's very...non-organic looking. There's also a massive, massive Rock/Paper/Scissors in effect. Like, if you see an enemy unit's symbol flashing red, you're going to do about zero damage and get trounced.

But again, very fun to play if you don't mind a flawed game.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2013, 08:29:13 pm »

EvE online, paying Dust Bunnies to fight for your faction.
Once cross-game integration is fully done of course.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2013, 09:20:01 pm »

Mount and Blade Warband

Also, Face of Mankind has its own mercenary faction, I suppose it'd take a while and a lot of effort to get your own company, but they're real people. FoM is a good game but the combat system's shit, you basically run around in circles shooting wildly until someone dies.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 09:22:21 pm by Megaman »
Hello Hunam

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2013, 02:20:52 am »

There's Kenshi too, but it's far from finished.

Logical2u

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2013, 08:17:08 am »

Tactics Advance has a bit better 'company management' stuff in it as compared to Tactics, I'd say.

Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker has a company management side to it as well but it's somewhat secondary as compared to the stealth gameplay.

Maybe Advance Wars, but it's probably a bit less troop oriented than what you're looking for.

Really it sounds like what you're looking for is "Mercenary Company Tycoon" or somesuch - a level higher than games like Tactics, but obviously not as abstract or from as high a perspective as say a traditional RTS game like Command and Conquer. Sorta like Tropico but with only military stuff.
This account is defunct - please contact me through other means.

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
  • Overanalyzing and overthinking EVERYTHING.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2013, 08:42:52 am »

It definitely isn't medieval/fantasy, but MechWarrior 4: Mercenaries has everything else you want.

By the way, that game is now entirely free.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 08:44:49 am by Ygdrad »
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.