Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]

Author Topic: Starlife - an indie sci-fi 4X in making  (Read 16091 times)

Hoverdog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • StarLife
Re: Starlife - an indie sci-fi 4X in making
« Reply #150 on: March 25, 2013, 07:47:05 am »

I see (Had a longer response but I don't think it was condusive to the flow of the topic, even though it kills me not to post alternates AHH!)

I understand.

Edit: I mean AHHH!!! I am one of those people who feels tortured not saying something :P

DO IT! There is no such thing as too many good ideas.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: March 25, 2013, 10:37:58 am »

The alternate is that there could be tech based advantages and disadvantages that instead of having an entirely different tree, instead unlocks or locks away different sections of the tree (or pool if it is a pool) for research.

Though I guess that doesn't stop them from precuring tech the other way. Meaning that low intelligence races (not in terms of research speed) have a lot riding on earning techs the other way.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 10:59:40 am by Neonivek »

Sirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: March 25, 2013, 11:00:25 am »

I don't know if you guys take suggestions, but I had an idea that you may or may not like. During my lunch break I saw a lizard, and it got me thinking about how they are super fast when they soak in some heat from the sun, but really sluggish when they're cold. The idea is to have a race of lizard-like humanoids, who are more productive on planets close to the sun, and less productive on cold worlds. Maybe it's dumb, maybe it'll inspire you, who knows !

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: March 25, 2013, 11:04:42 am »

Honestly Sirian that is one of the weird things about Sci-fi and races. In a world of great technology why would that affect them?

Mind you Sirian I guess they could be sun worshippers and on cold planets they feel abandoned by the sun(s) and become less productive.

The issue? Your idea is perfectly good for the 4x track record. I still remember the game that gave the giant monster race a "fighting bonus" when it should be a sizable disadvantage given how they depict battles (as long ranged laser battle fights).

I feel so mean right now...
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 11:14:17 am by Neonivek »

Hoverdog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • StarLife
« Reply #154 on: March 25, 2013, 11:40:43 am »

I don't know if you guys take suggestions, but I had an idea that you may or may not like. During my lunch break I saw a lizard, and it got me thinking about how they are super fast when they soak in some heat from the sun, but really sluggish when they're cold. The idea is to have a race of lizard-like humanoids, who are more productive on planets close to the sun, and less productive on cold worlds. Maybe it's dumb, maybe it'll inspire you, who knows !
StarLife has several planet types: Gaia, Terran, Ocean, Toxic, Acid, Radiated, Ice, Volcanic and Gas Giant (which cannot be colonized). They have different food, population and production values (for example, Volcanic doesn't yield any food but is rich in resources)
Each race has its own tolerance for every planet type: Krom don't care, can live everywhere, Humans find it hard to settle on all but Gaia, Terran and Ocean planets, while The Empire is adaptable, except for extreme conditions of Volcanic and Radiated worlds.

Honestly Sirian that is one of the weird things about Sci-fi and races. In a world of great technology why would that affect them?
I think it's explainable. Humans can only normally live on planets with temperatures around 0 degrees that are rich in oxygen. If they want to live on a planet with ammonia-filled atmosphere, they either have to build huge domes with artificial air, use special hazmat suits, or undertake a project to alter the whole of atmosphere. The first two severely limit their capabilities (lower population, lower income, lower production), and the latter is a high-end technology.

Sirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: March 25, 2013, 11:44:05 am »

Mind you Sirian I guess they could be sun worshippers and on cold planets they feel abandoned by the sun(s) and become less productive.

The issue? Your idea is perfectly good for the 4x track record. I still remember the game that gave the giant monster race a "fighting bonus" when it should be a sizable disadvantage given how they depict battles (as long ranged laser battle fights).

I feel so mean right now...

Oh don't worry I was already aware of that issue, but I figured that it sounded cool anyway. Also I had that same idea that they could be sorta religious about it and would only use natural sunlight as a heat source. Honestly I won't be devastated if they don't pick it up, it was only a passing idea that I decided to share just in case.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: March 25, 2013, 01:00:22 pm »

Are you including habitable moons in your game? Because Gas Giants themselves may be inhospitable but they often have many useful moons.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Hoverdog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • StarLife
« Reply #157 on: March 25, 2013, 01:39:55 pm »

Are you including habitable moons in your game? Because Gas Giants themselves may be inhospitable but they often have many useful moons.
We don't want to spread too thin, so unfortunately there won't be any moons to settle on.

However, you will be able to set up space stations on gas giants to harvest valuable resources.

tiagocc0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: March 25, 2013, 06:14:02 pm »

Oh don't worry I was already aware of that issue, but I figured that it sounded cool anyway. Also I had that same idea that they could be sorta religious about it and would only use natural sunlight as a heat source. Honestly I won't be devastated if they don't pick it up, it was only a passing idea that I decided to share just in case.

It's a cool idea, I will keep it since after the game is released we will start working on more races.

Kaje

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: March 26, 2013, 08:08:44 am »

Very interesting, I do like the fact that what were once simply 'numbers' are now going to be actual assets.

Hoverdog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • StarLife
« Reply #161 on: April 03, 2013, 04:59:30 am »

We're working on the demo, here's the technology window:

tiagocc0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: April 03, 2013, 04:49:45 pm »

Here is a little survey, if you have time be sure to take it, it is just a few questions and no, there is no 'how old are you' or 'are you a male or female' questions there!

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/V25GY7Q

Here are the questions in case you want to check them before clicking on the link.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Feel free to discuss about the questions here too.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]