Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11

Author Topic: Starlife - an indie sci-fi 4X in making  (Read 16101 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Re: Starlife - an indie sci-fi 4X in making
« Reply #120 on: March 21, 2013, 03:48:05 pm »

Not really a good comparison.

The issue isn't so much that the race exists, it's that fundamental things that they have the race doing are explained just enough to make people go 'Waiiit a minute, that doesn't make any sense'.

Their similar to the Siliciods from Master of Orion, except they expand the lore and abilities just a bit further to have additional effects on the game. Which is cool, from a mechanics standpoint, but crosses a fine line. If you don't explain much of the why at all, people just sort of accept it. If you start to go into the details but not far enough to actually explain what's going on, people tend to get picky.

Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Kaje

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: March 21, 2013, 04:00:00 pm »

Not really a good comparison.

The issue isn't so much that the race exists, it's that fundamental things that they have the race doing are explained just enough to make people go 'Waiiit a minute, that doesn't make any sense'.

Their similar to the Siliciods from Master of Orion, except they expand the lore and abilities just a bit further to have additional effects on the game. Which is cool, from a mechanics standpoint, but crosses a fine line. If you don't explain much of the why at all, people just sort of accept it. If you start to go into the details but not far enough to actually explain what's going on, people tend to get picky.

It wasn't really a comparison, it was merely an attempt at saying that it doesn't really matter.

This game isn't, and never has, professed to be anything more than a game. It's not a real world simulation on the erosion or consumption of rock/stone/gravel/sand by a rock/stone/gravel/sand consuming creature.

The tiny intricacies about realism do not need to be covered here, he's explained what happens and why - he doesn't need to do any more than that. He certainly doesn't need to make it conform to real world standards, it's a sci-fi game!

TL;DR - Get off his back, it's a game.

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • You can't spell slaughter without laughter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: March 21, 2013, 04:31:11 pm »

I really love the sound of this, seems like each race is really going to be unique.

Also for the krom I think of it this way, they are basically machines created by another race, and the absorb the land around them so maybe it's a constant thing and they need a lot of juice to keep going if so then you would have a dead planet quite quickly with 1billion of them cutting about the planet.

Also are we able to preorder or anything soon ? just read op
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 04:33:25 pm by ScriptWolf »
He must be running 3.5 abacuses of RAM

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: March 21, 2013, 04:40:47 pm »

It wasn't really a comparison, it was merely an attempt at saying that it doesn't really matter.

This game isn't, and never has, professed to be anything more than a game. It's not a real world simulation on the erosion or consumption of rock/stone/gravel/sand by a rock/stone/gravel/sand consuming creature.

The tiny intricacies about realism do not need to be covered here, he's explained what happens and why - he doesn't need to do any more than that. He certainly doesn't need to make it conform to real world standards, it's a sci-fi game!

TL;DR - Get off his back, it's a game.
This is the kind of argument that I hate.

It is not integral to the gameplay that it is accurate, but gameplay isn't the only concern. A logical and consistent universe adds a lot to the games atmosphere, which can make the difference between simply managing a bunch of numbers on the screen, and actually feeling like you are leading an empire in a world that makes sense and reacts to your actions.

This is just flavour, yes, but so is everything besides the base game data. And even the smallest bit of that makes this a slightly greater game.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 04:42:39 pm by cerapa »

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

tiagocc0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: March 21, 2013, 04:49:40 pm »

Thanks ScriptWolf and Kaje.

Sirian:
Well, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silane does exist.
Who knows what else might exists out there in the vast unknown universe.  ;)

But the gas may not contain silicate at all, but other components which it's body wouldn't use and thus need to expelled.
But yeah, we only thought about it from the game mechanics perspective.

There are several areas in Earth that even if not touched by humans can't be used to produce food, to live and it's very difficult to extract minerals.
I think it wouldn't need the whole crust to be 'eaten' for a planet to become useless for other races.
If they eat the 'first layer' the whole world would be already very different from what it was.

Anyway, I will let our writer/designer (Hoverdog) know about it, but it will probably be addressed later in development.  :)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: March 21, 2013, 04:55:24 pm »

A fairly easy way to handle it, actually, would be for them to use the materials in some sort of internal reactor. If they leave Radioactive material everywhere, you certainly wouldn't need to consume the entire crust for other races to find the planet inhospitable after they're through with it.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: March 21, 2013, 04:57:58 pm »

Also doubles as even more justification for their ground combat bonuses. You might kill one, but you're still gonna die from radiation.

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

tiagocc0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: March 21, 2013, 05:02:01 pm »

Well, that's a great idea!

Sirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: March 21, 2013, 05:37:05 pm »

Don't worry, I was just having fun checking the numbers, it's no big deal for me if they fart rocks or silane, or if they eat moons for desert. These kind of inaccuracies won't ruin the game for me, after all I can't think of a 4X with an even remotely realistic setting, and I still like those games.

Now, if a game was truly realistic AND playable, I think that I would enjoy it even more, but that's just a distant dream, I guess.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: March 21, 2013, 05:55:54 pm »

I have to ask the people who know this better then I do.

Is this a sandbox or a huge intergalactic war stage?

---

Nevermind I looked closer it is large war stage.

Just sorta realised how uncommon the type of 4x I was refering to is.

tiagocc0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: March 21, 2013, 06:03:16 pm »

I have to ask the people who know this better then I do.

Is this a sandbox or a huge intergalactic war stage?

Sandbox.
A free style campaign with several star clusters forming a galaxy is in my plans but will be done very late in development or post-release. Our focus right now is to get the sandbox right.
If it is post-release it will be free, we won't charge for Expansions or DLCs, ever.

tiagocc0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: March 21, 2013, 06:06:04 pm »

Nevermind I looked closer it is large war stage.

Just sorta realised how uncommon the type of 4x I was refering to is.

Hm, I guess I thought it differently, what do you mean exactly by sandbox?

I was thinking more like one play only, like MoO2, GalCiv 2.
Where a large war stage would be like Empire Earth that you can two modes, one you set where you want to attack and then on the other you play the game normally (sandbox).
http://pcmedia.gamespy.com/pc/image/article/836/836076/empire-earth-iii-20071116050546528.jpg

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: March 21, 2013, 06:12:55 pm »

I mean more like it is based on the exploration side. Like you are exploring space for the first time and learning everything as you go. Where the game feels more self contained within your own space then predicting space outside yours.

Aurora is like this KINDA.

It is the best way I can describe it unfortunately.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 06:18:19 pm by Neonivek »

Sirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: March 21, 2013, 06:25:37 pm »

I mean more like it is based on the exploration side. Like you are exploring space for the first time and learning everything as you go. Where the game feels more self contained within your own space then predicting space outside yours.

Aurora is like this KINDA.

It is the best way I can describe it unfortunately.

I think that I get what you mean, Neonivek. The other day, while playing Stardrive, it hit me that what I actually wanted was a game without combat or conflict, so more like a management game, but in space. Think about all the cool things that could be added to these games if there wasn't all the war aspect.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 06:27:10 pm by Sirian »

tiagocc0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: March 21, 2013, 06:44:41 pm »

There was one interesting conversation going on spacesector.com forum about an endless universe.
The game would dynamically generate the universe as you explore. This sounds very cool.

One idea that I want to try, but that may be too difficult to develop is that you start on a already populated universe as opposed to everyone starts on equal grounds.
We have then a problem as there will be races too advanced, and in these kind of games the more advanced you are, the faster is your progress so we would never be able to keep up with them unless they don't advance at all (would be boring if only you had progress) or they would do it very slowly so you could reach and surpass them (feels like cheating).

So I thought about a new concept and named it the Lazy Concept, it means that when a race gets comfortable it will stabilize and progress will stop completely or at least will become very slow.
If you have no enemies, have already explored the space around you, has been able to deal with poverty, diseases, internal wars so there is nothing challenging you anymore.
Your race will then end up Lazy.

So when you start your game there will be several empires bigger then your and several races that haven't reached space yet.
But each one of them will be in a different Lazy level and it will constantly change depending on the challenge factor. If an enemy shows up your Lazy factor may decrease.
If they conquer everybody around and thus have no challenge it will increase. Races that stays Lazy for too long will have their empires shrinking without being able to stop the process.

So now have a very big space to explore, full of life and also an objective different from conquering the galaxy.
Your objective would be to not get Lazy as long as possible.

But this won't get rid of combat completely.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11