Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11

Author Topic: Starlife - an indie sci-fi 4X in making  (Read 16167 times)

Kaje

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Starlife - an indie sci-fi 4X in making
« Reply #75 on: March 07, 2013, 02:40:29 pm »

Love it.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 07, 2013, 03:39:01 pm »

I kind of like how Humans are the only ones really into AI. Makes an interesting twist to the standard.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Hoverdog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • StarLife
« Reply #77 on: March 07, 2013, 07:50:46 pm »

I kind of like how Humans are the only ones really into AI. Makes an interesting twist to the standard.

Well, there still are purely cybernetic races ;)

Brotato

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Destroyer of Threads!
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 07, 2013, 10:44:54 pm »

I like it.  But why do they have a play style of defensive and not aggressive?  Even though you explicitly state that other races are afraid of them because of their rapid expansionist policies?
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where people will hold a logical discussion about why dwarves are putting on clothes.
OK, I have to reload the save.
There was a bit of a problem regarding flashfreezing, a ballistae, and a barrel of dwarven ale. Gonna fix it up.

tiagocc0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 08, 2013, 05:32:38 am »

I like it.  But why do they have a play style of defensive and not aggressive?  Even though you explicitly state that other races are afraid of them because of their rapid expansionist policies?

They are not expansionists:
"Humankind, the crafty apes. Their adaptability and rapid progress both fascinates and terrifies other races. Humanity has an insatiable thirst for greatness. They are always developing, looking for new challenges, borders to cross and frontiers to explore. Frail carbon-based bodies do not help them, but what they lack in physical strength, they make up for in tenacity and acumen."
It's about rapid technological progress, not territorial.

Also they are greedy and often fight themselves over power.
So humans are actually composed of separated factions that are in constant fear of another faction conquering them, thus consuming most of their time with nonsense political arguments and petty warfare.

Hoverdog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • StarLife
« Reply #80 on: March 10, 2013, 01:23:32 pm »

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 10, 2013, 02:53:25 pm »

Ooh, I know who I'm playing when I'm in a vindictive mood.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 10, 2013, 03:06:29 pm »

Well, now I know who we're not inviting over for Galactic Movie Night.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 10, 2013, 03:08:14 pm »

Why wouldn't they just keep a breeding stock on their planets? Instincts tell them to convert everything?

I am assuming the correct strategy with them is to subjugate some race and lock that race onto a single(or multiple) planet(s) with high population growth, and to constantly raid them. Basically they would be less "galactic conqueror" and more "galactic sheep herder".

Not that that wouldn't be awesome of course.

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

tiagocc0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 10, 2013, 03:21:02 pm »

Why wouldn't they just keep a breeding stock on their planets? Instincts tell them to convert everything?

I am assuming the correct strategy with them is to subjugate some race and lock that race onto a single(or multiple) planet(s) with high population growth, and to constantly raid them. Basically they would be less "galactic conqueror" and more "galactic sheep herder".

I guess it is for the same reason they are not able to have diplomatic relations, trade agreements with other races.
It would be too much trouble to 'herd' aliens.

Although they are able to raid even in peace times, which means they do not start unnecessary wars, they actually keep to themselves and raid whenever they need until alien races declare war on them. When that happens they might intensify their raids and conquer the planets they judge necessary.

Even if they are aggressive they don't want to exterminate other races, as long as you are not a threat to them.
If you are expect a war and extermination.

Hoverdog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • StarLife
« Reply #85 on: March 11, 2013, 07:29:57 am »

Right. While they aren't dumb per se, can develop new technologies and stuff like that, they are driven by their need to transmute, it overrides anything else.

Exactly!

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #86 on: March 11, 2013, 10:27:29 am »

Second race, the Empire.

How come, in the future, everyone is fat? Do they not understand nutrition? Have they discovered some highly addictive, sugar laden, tribbles?
I got nothing

tiagocc0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 11, 2013, 10:33:30 am »

Second race, the Empire.

How come, in the future, everyone is fat? Do they not understand nutrition? Have they discovered some highly addictive, sugar laden, tribbles?

It can be really thin, but with a bulk armor, The Empire however was genetically modified and is very good at combat, so it's probably muscles, not fat.

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 11, 2013, 11:02:53 am »

With the way weapons develop faster than armour, footsoldiers would need either really thick armour or personal shield generators. Both take up space.

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

Hoverdog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • StarLife
« Reply #89 on: March 12, 2013, 11:15:03 am »

Second race, the Empire.

They aren't fat, they are just big, bulky and wearing thick armor.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11