Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11

Author Topic: Starlife - an indie sci-fi 4X in making  (Read 16166 times)

Ludorum Rex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wizards and Warlords
Re: Starlife - an indie sci-fi 4X in making
« Reply #60 on: March 03, 2013, 01:54:45 pm »

For me ship design and tech research are the most interesting features of a MoO-like Sci-Fi 4x.

Hoverdog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • StarLife
« Reply #61 on: March 03, 2013, 07:36:08 pm »

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 03, 2013, 08:05:55 pm »

Ooh, I likey!
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

ragnar119

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 04, 2013, 05:41:21 am »

Nice looking.

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 04, 2013, 09:20:39 am »

I like how concept of food is a trait.

"What is this food you speak of?"

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

Drakale

• Bay Watcher
  • I will get my revenge~
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 04, 2013, 10:29:02 am »

We've got a question for you guys: what feature would like to see implemented in our KS demo?

Well, definitely the ship designer and some combat would be a must. Also some first contact with an alien specie is always fun.

Sorry if I missed it, but will the alien species encountered in the full game be randomly generated?

tiagocc0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 04, 2013, 10:59:41 am »

We've got a question for you guys: what feature would like to see implemented in our KS demo?

Well, definitely the ship designer and some combat would be a must. Also some first contact with an alien specie is always fun.

Sorry if I missed it, but will the alien species encountered in the full game be randomly generated?

We haven't planned fully randomly generated aliens, but that's something we can make as an option.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 04, 2013, 12:23:53 pm »

Was playing MOO2 last night and it reminded me of a feature of that game that I really like, and is often left out of other games of the genre. Which is the ability to have planets with more than one species on them. I always really liked conquering a bunch of other species and then making Orion this paradise of multi-species harmony.

So, please make that a feature of this as well.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

tiagocc0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 04, 2013, 12:43:25 pm »

Was playing MOO2 last night and it reminded me of a feature of that game that I really like, and is often left out of other games of the genre. Which is the ability to have planets with more than one species on them. I always really liked conquering a bunch of other species and then making Orion this paradise of multi-species harmony.

Yep, we are planning that, there will lots of civilians going from one planet to another.
So if you are a small empire and have a huge empire on your side, you will even see lots of aliens living on your homeworld.

Since I want the game to be more empire-based than race-based I'm planning a way to make you change the main race of your empire in case the population of one particular race outnumbers the others including your main race.

Biowraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 04, 2013, 12:51:39 pm »

I forget how MOO2 handled it, but I'm reminded of Distant Worlds where migration via civilian passenger ships meant sooner or later you'll have some mixed populations on your worlds, and you can select how you treat them - assimilate them into your empire, refuse them entry, resettle them to penal colonies, exterminate them, or enslave them for extra production.  You could set the policy for each race as empire wide, or for each individual planet.  There were diplomatic consequences with empires for whom that race is native, though DW's diplomacy was the standard fare - could be interesting to see how something like that would fit into a more complex system like Starlife is promising.

tiagocc0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 04, 2013, 01:01:49 pm »

I forget how MOO2 handled it, but I'm reminded of Distant Worlds where migration via civilian passenger ships meant sooner or later you'll have some mixed populations on your worlds, and you can select how you treat them - assimilate them into your empire, refuse them entry, resettle them to penal colonies, exterminate them, or enslave them for extra production.  You could set the policy for each race as empire wide, or for each individual planet.  There were diplomatic consequences with empires for whom that race is native, though DW's diplomacy was the standard fare - could be interesting to see how something like that would fit into a more complex system like Starlife is promising.

I played DW but I never got to notice it unless for the options you set for how to handle it.
I plan on making it much more noticeable rather than a subtle game mechanic.

Yes, this will certainly bring some interesting options to diplomacy.

Hoverdog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • StarLife
« Reply #71 on: March 04, 2013, 01:05:07 pm »

We haven't planned fully randomly generated aliens, but that's something we can make as an option.

Minor factions (neutral races that are incapable of hyperspace travel) will definitely be randomized.

I'm not sure about generated AI empires, such randomness might throw any semblance of balance out of the window.

tiagocc0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 04, 2013, 01:08:37 pm »

Minor factions (neutral races that are incapable of hyperspace travel) will definitely be randomized.

I'm not sure about generated AI empires, such randomness might throw any semblance of balance out of the window.

But that's expected from some players, I would like to play with this option from time to time.
Some kind of balance can be done in a short time of coding, but to balance it as much as the pre-made races would be insane and I think would actually miss the point.

Hoverdog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • StarLife
« Reply #73 on: March 05, 2013, 05:18:39 am »

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11