Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11

Author Topic: Starlife - an indie sci-fi 4X in making  (Read 16128 times)

Ludorum Rex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wizards and Warlords
Re: Starlife - an indie sci-fi 4X in making
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2013, 04:45:08 am »

This looks really cool! I could see myself losing many hours to this game, and it is always great to see ambitious gameplay goals, rather than the somewhat one-sided focus on graphics and story which is prevalent today. That being said, the screenshots on your site actually look very nice, although I fail to see the point of the heavily pixelated font on some of the screenshots. Is this for aesthetic reasons, as the resolution is high enough to provide more crisp and legible fonts (as can be seen on some screens). Anyways best of luck with it! And make sure you have a very well planned kickstarter - it really saddens me when I see indies launch succesful kickstarters, but then fail to account for misc costs and end up with far less money than expected, or fail to deliver on promises. Make sure you know exactly how much you will pay in various expenses.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2013, 05:37:36 am »

The screenies look pretty cool, I'll be keeping an eye on this. Mayby you could add some screenshots into your OP? Just use [spoiler][img]imageurl[/img][/spoiler]

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2013, 06:02:19 am »

Snip.

While I agree with you that the developer needs to provide more specific information, I believe your response was unnecessarily hostile.
They're unnecessarily arrogant.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2013, 07:06:16 am »

While I agree with you that the developer needs to provide more specific information, I believe your response was unnecessarily hostile.

I don't really see how, at least not no where near the same level as asking them if they are stuped. Regardless two wrongs do not make a right so thats no excuse.
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

Hoverdog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • StarLife
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2013, 07:38:16 am »

Don't worry, I'm a regular at RPGCodex, so I've seen much worse.

MoO 1 and 2 had this. We'll assume you're excluding MoO3.  Pretty sure your Rock Guys get numeric Buffs too. So, if your  trait, ability, or gimmick (3 words that come down to the same thing), arent going to be numerical in nature affecting the game system, then what exactly are you doing here? Also the screen show of the Rock Guys have a Typographical error.
Spoiler: The Typo (click to show/hide)

So yea, nothing really said here.
I've never said there won't be any numerical differences. However, in addition to that, species will have a unique ability (or trait. or gimmick.). Those rock guys, for example, feed on the planets they colonize - so while they don't need farmers, after a few hundred turns, they have to relocate their colony to another world.

- Complexity as a means to an end – most of today’s games are catered to the casual gamer, and thus stripped of many features and lacking depth. On the other hand, we feel that stockpiling gimmicks and mechanics that have no real influence on the game’s flow and only make playing more of a chore is a dead end. Complexity is a must, but it has to serve the player, not the other way around.

Wow, wow, Most? Wii bit of an over generalization isnt? And We've seen Complexity because its gotta be there. MoO3 for instance. In fact it was so hardcore with its complexity, it didnt even tell players why things werent working.

And again, nothing is said here.
Have you read the sentence above this list? "Design philosophy", it reads. Yes, nothing specific is said here. I didn't write the game's exact mechanics, because frankly, they aren't set in stone yet.

- Technology more than just a linear progression – again, latest 4X games struggled a lot with coming up with a sensible tech system. Separate trees that you select and research one by one are not interesting the slightest. In Starlife, we are trying to put some meat on these bones.
What do you mean by modern? Can you offer games your contrasting against? You're aware that MoO 1 and 2 both had linear tech trees right? It tried to provide variety through variations of techs given, but the progress was upward and forward and you generally knew what techs are coming up.

And why are you saying they're struggling? Who struggled?  What do you mean by that?
Endless Space. StarDrive (still beta though).
MoO had semi-linear. Though every tech category had tiers, you weren't able to research all of them.

- Quick, but tactically satisfying combat – battles are one of my favourite parts of strategy games. Unfortunately, most of the time they are considered of secondary importance and are either simplified or tend to drag. Starlife will feature hex-based combat system rooted in board games that is quick to resolve and offers a tactical challenge.
What Strategy game do you consider that has tact on combat? Sin of a Solar Empire, or Anon series, Civilization series? What are you contrasting against here. Elsewise, you're just not saying anything substantial. I gotta tell ya, MoO1 and 2 combat, is pretty freaken shallow. It was more like a mini game that broke up the segments of managing the empire.
Tact on?
Civ series had a very basic combat system - but IMO better than MoO, simply because while both weren't complex, Civ

- No unnecessary micromanagement – Micro is always a bane of 4X in longer, bigger games. Our plan is cutting down on it without limiting players’ choices.

Didnt you just bitch at games for being to causal? Some of that casualty with 4x games comes from taking away micro mgm. But since you arent telling us where you're cutting micro or /how/ this isnt saying anything.

You do realize that that is a Contradiction right? Fuck Casual but less Micro!
again, what's the connection? Micromanagement does not equal complexity. A game can be heavy on micro and yet shallow.

- Your subjects are living creatures (unless they’re robots) – Have you ever felt that those billions of subordinates on your colonies are mindless drones that need constant babysitting? Well, we have. That’s why in Starlife citizens actually have will of their own. They are quite helpful, but, if mistreated, can make your rule a pain.

This sounds neat, but what does that mean exactly? You know that what Abstraction through Mechanics are right, or Metaphor Through Mechanic. There a really good design reason why City Pops for 4X game, have more or less been Worker Placement.

What do you we gain out of having a Sim of citizens? I thought you wanted to cut down on Micro Mgm, but now we're going to have to carter to these Sims? 
I'm not sure you understood. It's quite the contrary - you don't have to babysit your subjects in StarLife. I gave a few examples in an earlier post.

How research will probably look like:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Your main goal, as stated above was for it not be linear. But when you show us the Tech Tree stuff, you dont describe how its none linear?

Also, if you dont like Races getting flat bonuses then why is it cool for technology to get bonus stacking? You'll be facing Techs way more then Races.
why do you think one has to exclude the other?
Also on your website:
Quote from: From Da Website
"Prototyping is the less effective way to learn a new technology..."

"Each method will give a different bonus, prototyping will give the best bonuses,..."
I'm finding these statement to be in contradiction, but overall, I find the section on your website about the Tech Tree, to be muddled. I think you're using a few definitions of Prototype and Research, and I think they might be being exchanged for one another. So, I dont think you have a clear understanding of these words mean.  Also I'm really surethat its suppose to be least effective.
Less effective = much slower.

Overall, I find your website to be riddle with typos, filled with muddle writing and just fairly arrogant.

Are you so far ahead that you left grammar behind? (They state their far a head of the curve.)
Our main dev and coder is Brazilian and his English isn't very good. There will be some major improvements in the next couple days.

What are your relevant game making experiences? How many games have you two worked on that have shipped?
This is our first venture. I have some experience on designing board games.

How can really tell us you'll get this game out in under a year? Are you stupid or just that arrogant? Or will this game be so small, that no one will care about it as a 4X?
We have a working engine with all the basic stuff implemented, a rudimentary combat system that you can check yourself. And all that was made in free time. With a successful KS - full time work put into it, I see no problems in getting the game finished in, maybe not under, but about a year or so.

Overall, my impression is that the lol internet opinion congealed into Orange Purple Games.
I've no idea what you mean by that, but I'm sure I wouldn't like it.

The screenies look pretty cool, I'll be keeping an eye on this. Mayby you could add some screenshots into your OP? Just use [spoiler][img]imageurl[/img][/spoiler]
Yeah, sure.

Kaje

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2013, 10:27:40 am »

At last! Another game that is catering for the strategist as opposed to those who require immediate gratification in the form of Pew Pew: Modern War of Duty.

Looks great, sounds great, when can I play?

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Utter Insanitiy]
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2013, 01:14:43 pm »

So you guys are from brazil? Which city?
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.

Hoverdog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • StarLife
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2013, 05:12:36 pm »

At last! Another game that is catering for the strategist as opposed to those who require immediate gratification in the form of Pew Pew: Modern War of Duty.

Looks great, sounds great, when can I play?
Thanks. We already have a tech demo, which is only that unfortunately - a working randomly generated galaxy map with a browse UI, and a "story mode" that shows very rudimentary combat system in two battles (also, I'm basically rewriting it now). Alpha 0.6 is going to have more features, hopefully will be published soon.

Ludorum Rex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wizards and Warlords
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2013, 05:57:26 pm »

Just wanted to chip in as someone who has close to a decade of experience developing games - it is entirely possible for a small team to develop a game such as this in a year. It is neither arrogant nor stupid to aim for a one year release. With a sufficiently experienced, skilled and motivated team it could probably be done in less time if one was so inclined.

Best of luck guys, don't let the naysayers get to you!

BunnyBob77

• Bay Watcher
  • The Lurkmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2013, 07:21:58 pm »

This looks pretty cool.  I'll be paying attention to this.

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2013, 11:17:47 pm »

Don’t ever let someone tell you that you can’t do something. You got a dream, you gotta protect it. When people can’t do something themselves, they’re gonna tell you that you can’t do it. You want something, go get it.
-- Pursuit of Happyness (2006)
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2013, 11:34:29 pm »

Snip.

You're unnecessarily arrogant.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2013, 05:18:34 am »

Interesting prospect, hope you can carry it through!

How will you handle diplomacy? IMHO that is where most 4X fail miserably and my understanding is the AI is hard to code. I'd love a game where the diplomacy seems plausible and interesting, while each species has a personality of their own.

Hoverdog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • StarLife
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2013, 10:09:39 am »

How will you handle diplomacy? IMHO that is where most 4X fail miserably and my understanding is the AI is hard to code. I'd love a game where the diplomacy seems plausible and interesting, while each species has a personality of their own.
Indeed, we too think that diplomacy is absolutely underdeveloped in such games. We want to make it more like in Paradox games (EU) - you won't be able to just declare a full-scale war and gobble up all the enemy without a good cause (casus belli). And each race will have their own reasons - the peacekeeping race that believes in equality* could attack in response to breaking a truce or a non-aggression agreement.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

tiagocc0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2013, 07:17:57 pm »

So you guys are from brazil? Which city?

I'm from Taubaté/SP and I'm the main developer/designer.
Our concept artist is also from Brazil, he's from Quiririm/SP, it's next to Taubaté.  :)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11