Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11

Author Topic: Starlife - an indie sci-fi 4X in making  (Read 16148 times)

Drakale

• Bay Watcher
  • I will get my revenge~
    • View Profile
Re: Starlife - an indie sci-fi 4X in making
« Reply #45 on: February 25, 2013, 04:50:43 pm »

Really digging the old-school art/UI style, add proper diplomacy and you got me sold.

Iosyn

• Bay Watcher
  • KAKAKA
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 25, 2013, 05:35:06 pm »

Hey Hoverdog. This actually looks kinda fun and the art is cool (is that a mech in one of the spoiler images?) and frankly hex based combat is a pretty good standard. I'll be looking forward to this with intrest. May I ask how much customization will be available to your units/Fleets/Government/Populations etc?

First things to note: Yeah, micromanaging a massive empire or something along those lines can be very tedious (e.g, GalCiv2, Total war series etc) and take more time than you get to actually play the game. However it's still nice to see how your cities/fleets etc are developing or change something like your government type.

Last thing to note: Trading, Missiles, point defences, shields, kinetic weaponry, planet busters, superweapons etc.

Hoverdog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • StarLife
« Reply #47 on: February 25, 2013, 06:26:02 pm »

Hey Hoverdog. This actually looks kinda fun and the art is cool (is that a mech in one of the spoiler images?) and frankly hex based combat is a pretty good standard. I'll be looking forward to this with intrest. May I ask how much customization will be available to your units/Fleets/Government/Populations etc?
Ships: right now, we are planning on having seven basic hulls: frigate, carrier, destroyer, cruiser, dreadnought, capital ship (which are of similar size but vary in terms of speed, armor, etc.) and a special design for each race.

Population: like in MoO, you divide it in Farmers (produce food), Workers (goods), Scientists (research points), Builders (build stuff) and Traders (sell surplus, gain galactic currency).

First things to note: Yeah, micromanaging a massive empire or something along those lines can be very tedious (e.g, GalCiv2, Total war series etc) and take more time than you get to actually play the game. However it's still nice to see how your cities/fleets etc are developing or change something like your government type.
Yes, that's the point: we want to remove the unnecessary babysitting without sacrificing complexity and a sense of growth.

Last thing to note: Trading, Missiles, point defences, shields, kinetic weaponry, planet busters, superweapons etc.
Of course!

Hoverdog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • StarLife
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 09:37:33 am by Hoverdog »

Demonbutter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 28, 2013, 10:23:35 am »

It looks so slick. Great job on the interface and style. What's biodiversity? Alien species on the planets?

Hoverdog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • StarLife
« Reply #50 on: February 28, 2013, 10:59:40 am »

It looks so slick. Great job on the interface and style. What's biodiversity? Alien species on the planets?
Thanks! The explanations for those options are in the blog post, I'll paste them here:

1. Size of the generated star map.

2. Shape of the newly formed galaxy, influences how stars are placed.

3. Number of planets – how many planets orbit each star on average.

4. Biodiversity – determines planets’ overall habitability – the better the biodiversity, the more hospitable the planets.

5. Mineral richness – as above, but influences how abundant in resources the planets are.

6. Number of opposing empires.

7. Neutral races – defines whether minor, neutral factions are generated on the map.

8. The level of technology that every empire begins the game with. Higher levels mean more starting colonies and a quicker game.

9. Game difficulty.

Kaje

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 28, 2013, 11:01:45 am »

Ah, I'm in love. Love the style, and if it ends up as in depth as you say, then this will be an instabuy and an instalove.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 28, 2013, 11:08:46 am »

Intriguing. PTW.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Demonbutter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 28, 2013, 11:23:15 am »

Thanks! The explanations for those options are in the blog post...

Oh, I'm sorry.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 28, 2013, 01:12:17 pm »

Looking good!
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Hoverdog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • StarLife
« Reply #55 on: February 28, 2013, 05:42:18 pm »

Another update! DIPLOMACY. You can read it here and discuss here (or you could also read the text under spoiler tag and post your comments beneath)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 01, 2013, 02:57:12 am »

The intention system has sold the game to me. I hope you can make it work in an organic, plausible and fun way.

Iosyn

• Bay Watcher
  • KAKAKA
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 01, 2013, 05:47:47 am »

*snip*
mmm, dat Racegen screen.  :o

Yeah, I'll probably pick this up-- and I'm intrested in how the diplomacy/intention thing will pan out ingame.
Well, I'll just lurk here for more updates for now.
I'll still try the demo first though.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 05:51:33 am by Iosyn »

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 01, 2013, 08:58:12 am »

Liking the look of this so far.  Mechanics and UI/art style look promising.  PTF.
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer
I've been working on this type of thing...

Hoverdog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • StarLife
« Reply #59 on: March 03, 2013, 12:27:43 pm »

We've got a question for you guys: what feature would like to see implemented in our KS demo?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11