Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 19

Author Topic: Adventure Time/Bravest Warriors (really anything made by the Pen Ward)  (Read 37371 times)

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
Re: Adventure Time/Bravest Warriors (really anything made by the Pen Ward)
« Reply #165 on: September 03, 2013, 11:37:20 am »

Also, I think they're already handling Finn getting older. For example, he's got an actual girlfriend instead of a childish unrequited crush. I bet you could find dozens of examples of him or the show maturing.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: September 03, 2013, 11:41:21 am »

Also, I think they're already handling Finn getting older. For example, he's got an actual girlfriend instead of a childish unrequited crush. I bet you could find dozens of examples of him or the show maturing.

He's developing a more refined worldview also, I think.  Less gung-ho white-knighting based on superficial judgments.  Dated an "evil" girl.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

MadMalkavian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: September 03, 2013, 11:46:04 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'm still holding a torch for Breakfast Princess.
I don't think Finn should have a love interest. The kid should just go around having adventures with his mutant dog brother. That's just my opinion though. People on /co/ seem to want to ship him with Breakfast Princess, Marceline and Bonnibel last time I checked. Gets a little creepy after a while so I don't bother going there much anymore.
Warning: Subject may be antisocial and may not synchronize well with humans. Approach cordially and with caution or not at all.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: September 03, 2013, 12:00:40 pm »

I can see Finn being really into Marceline.  I think it's the element of danger/challenge that he liked about Fire Princess, and Marceline could provide the same.  Don't see Marceline reciprocating, though.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: September 03, 2013, 12:04:59 pm »

I can see Finn being really into Marceline.  I think it's the element of danger/challenge that he liked about Fire Princess, and Marceline could provide the same.  Don't see Marceline reciprocating, though.

Finn likes Marceline because she is "Cool" so to speak. She likes most of the rowdy things Finn likes, like fighting and danger and stuff. Think of her as a sort of "One of the boys".

They already had an episode that dealt entirely with their relationship.

Though I am trying to think of another Princess who was rowdy... Though there are certainly a few Warrior princesses.

I think it's the element of danger/challenge that he liked about Fire Princess

I don't think that was it either. He was certainly determined, perhaps more so than others... But I think it was more her personality.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 01:22:56 pm by Neonivek »

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: September 03, 2013, 02:35:30 pm »

I'm convinced that dream Finn had about FP blasting him with fire was a sexual metaphor.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: September 03, 2013, 02:49:38 pm »

I'm convinced that dream Finn had about FP blasting him with fire was a sexual metaphor.

Yep. Which makes the Cosmic Owl kindof a dick, what with the self-fulfilling prophetic wet dreams of doom. Those are the worst kind!

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: September 03, 2013, 04:34:06 pm »

The thing I like most about these romance arcs is that Finn is trying to get the girl, screws up or realizes that it's not going to work out, and (contrary to the usual protagonist) learns to accept that, learns something, and gets over it. That, and showing he and said romantic interest actually staying friends afterward, whereas a lot of shows just sweep "Failed Romantic Interests" under the rug, or send the protagonist on this season-long quest to Finally Win Them Over For Good.

Seriously, too many shows and movies do that aggressive, obsessive pursuit of this one guy or girl, which is a really bad set of lessons to be teaching to young folks... or any folks, for that matter. I'm glad when this happens to Finn (and in this case, we get to see Fire Princess's side of things too), because it's a chance to showcase his growth as a person, and illustrate how not Getting The Girl doesn't mean the end of their relationship, or the world, or whatever.

Anyway, I am interested to see where Super Honesty Time Fire King-Princess goes. And I'm also looking forward to more Finn and Jake silliness, because their interplay is always fun times. I want to see stuff about Jake's other siblings too, and how a human wound up in Ooo, and so on.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: October 31, 2013, 01:16:37 am »

We interrupt this double post for the following announcement:

The new season of Bravest Warriors has begun.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: October 31, 2013, 12:05:27 pm »

Move over Catbug, Paralyzed Horse is now my favorite character forever. "His brainstem is so turgid!"

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: October 31, 2013, 12:56:45 pm »

Paralyzed horse is best pony.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: October 31, 2013, 01:03:31 pm »

or send the protagonist on this season-long quest to Finally Win Them Over For Good

Uhhh... that happened. Adventure time did that. For at least two seasons.

There is a reason I like the Cake and Fionna episodes... because they skipped the stupidly excessive "will they, wont they" tension and managed to deal with it in a single episode (two episodes) instead of dragging it along FOREVER! (The secret of the Cake and Fiona episodes is that... Fionna's relationship with the Princes is the flipped relationship between Finn and the Princesses. In that the Princes' stances are Finns and Fionna's is the Princesses.).

I still think there is a good chance that Finn will end up with Bubblegum in the end. Their relationship didn't work out because they were never on the same page, but Finn is growing up and it is possible he could catch up to her.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: October 31, 2013, 01:17:20 pm »

Though on the subject of Adventure Time: How long is Ice King going to live in the treehouse? It's stranger than the "LSP lives in the woods" arc they had. I wonder if prolonged exposure to the crown will affect Gunter...

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #178 on: October 31, 2013, 01:44:05 pm »

Am I the only one who really just wants more Peppermint Butler?

Also Marceline. In real life I give a disdainful eye-rolling to "goth" type kids, being a sensible and mature adult, but somehow I can't help but love her.

I think I've missed a few episodes... I oughta go catch up!

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: October 31, 2013, 05:44:03 pm »

Am I the only one who really just wants more Peppermint Butler?

Also Marceline. In real life I give a disdainful eye-rolling to "goth" type kids, being a sensible and mature adult, but somehow I can't help but love her.

I think I've missed a few episodes... I oughta go catch up!

In my experience, most "goth" type people are pretty similar to her.  People who have dealt with a lot of shit and take a casual approach to wearing that heart on their sleeve.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 19