Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 19

Author Topic: Adventure Time/Bravest Warriors (really anything made by the Pen Ward)  (Read 37361 times)

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Adventure Time/Bravest Warriors (really anything made by the Pen Ward)
« Reply #90 on: April 11, 2013, 06:46:07 pm »

Considering how Adventure Time can sneak in some really mature themes, or interesting twists on stories, I'd angrily disparage your brother's intellectual ability and call it a day.
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 11, 2013, 06:59:07 pm »

just seen the last episode(the one in pillow world). so, this is what, the third time finn has been depicted with a prosthetic arm in a dream\alternate world? ominous

Finn is Big Boss.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 11, 2013, 07:04:54 pm »

I think the show is actually pretty deep, but its deeper aspects are just well-hidden behind the comedy.  You only see it if you want to.

It sort of reminds me of Grave of the Firefly, actually.  They're basically kids making it on their own in an incredibly dangerous world built on brokenness and tragedy.  Except we see it through the eyes of a child, which makes it out to be a world of adventure, play, and wonder.  There's something really touching about it to me.

The episode where Marceline is a child really underlines it.  The world is presented more through the adult eyes of Simon there, and it's made out to be a horrifying place... even though the only real difference is the ruins of the old world are fresh and haven't been replaced by kingdoms populated with bizarre creatures.

The nuclear bomb is highly symbolic, too.  It completely skips on portraying it as killing anybody.  Instead it's portrayed as a force of pure world-altering transformation, led by a literal avatar of death.  They live in a world that this thing has had its way with, twisting it into a mockery of its former self.  But they still manage to love life.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 12, 2013, 12:17:30 am »

You know what this thread needs?

A Bravest Warriors Fanart Dump. That's what.

Spoiler: Holycrap! (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Teamwork! (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Adorableness! (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Characters! (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Action! (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: WHY?! (click to show/hide)

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 12, 2013, 09:23:34 am »

So while I REALLY like the Fionna and Cake episodes, my brother hates them.

In fact my brother actually insults me for liking the non-comedy aspects of the show and says that I am just imagining aspects of the show.

I wonder if that is how others feel about the show, that it isn't meant to have any meaning or substance and that it is just joke after joke after joke.
It helps to broaden the appeal of the show.

So I just saw most of A Glitch Is a Glitch. What. The. Fuck. I mean, it's one of my favourite episodes of season five but... just WTF from title to sudden show-unrelated cutoff in the climax.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 12, 2013, 10:15:51 am »

it came out in the 1st of april, consider it an holiday special

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 13, 2013, 08:00:28 pm »

Well the conversation with my brother continues and while this conversation spun out of control this time we focused on the songs in which I say that the songs have a deeper then literal meaning (specifically: I am your problem and Daddy why did you eat my fries?)

For example "I am your problem" to him is a song about how Marceline is mad at Bubblegum for a reason in that episode... While I say it is more indicative of their relationship as a whole and not just that one instance and that she is ticked about Bubblegum's Holier then thou attitude while at the same time guilty about her own actions but too proud to admit it.

He says that "Daddy why did you eat my fries?" is about fries and that is its only interpretation and that interpreting anything further is being delusional, it is a joke and all it will ever be is a joke about how Marceline and how her father took her fries. I say that it actually sums up the issues between Marceline and her father (that he is absent minded and distant... but the song hints that he isn't uncaring which is the important part) and that the Fries are unimportant to the meaning but help because they are so small and unimportant (In otherwords it isn't about the fries, they could have been chips or marshmellows or pennies) thus it not being about her father being a monster but just not noticing her feelings and how he affects her through his carelessness.

His Evidence: The Pokémon theme and that ALL pokemon is about "I want to be the very best' which he then parodies me and goes on about how "Ohh clearly it shows how Ash feels inadequate and how he wants to become a pokemon master"... and then I told him that Pokémon actually is about friendship between others and their pokemon and that really the quest to be a pokemon master eventually through the shows themes boils down to that (even in the games) in that being the best is about treating your pokemon as equals. His parody doesn't work because he is interpreting the pokemon theme literally as well when his parody SHOULD be how I interpret things that simply aren't there.

It makes me mad because he doesn't say it like "I think you are wrong and I am right" he just has a way to make you feel bad about being wrong... Even now I need affirmation to feel better about myself after the hours of conversation with him.

Sorry last time I'll bring my drama here... I am just going to bum out the board.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 08:34:44 pm by Neonivek »

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 13, 2013, 08:29:53 pm »

I've known a few people who love to belittle anyone who takes anything seriously ever, even though they tend to be really sensitive themselves but try to hide it behind blunt cynicism.  Your brother sounds like one of those people.

Edit:

Holy Crap.  There is some really great fan art out there.  Subscribed to a Facebook group that shares a ton of it.  I think this is the best so far.  The movement in this composition just blows my mind.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 01:14:15 am by SalmonGod »
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 20, 2013, 05:31:35 pm »

Just now getting to the most recent season. My god, the feels.

« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 05:36:30 pm by Solifuge »

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 20, 2013, 05:58:26 pm »

Yeah.  This is plainly stated on the show's tvtropes page, too.  So feels.  And it's a really good "here's why being judgmental is bad" story.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: April 20, 2013, 06:05:15 pm »

it's a really good "here's why being judgmental is bad" story.

In adventure time? A show where "He is obviously evil, lets kill them without prejudice whatsoever!"

A show where they were willing to let Iceking, a rather harmless villain, die but chose not to because it would be too distasteful.

Why the world is this message being put into a show where indiscriminant judgementalism is almost the stage of which the world sits?

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 20, 2013, 06:37:49 pm »

it's a really good "here's why being judgmental is bad" story.

In adventure time? A show where "He is obviously evil, lets kill them without prejudice whatsoever!"

1.  Finn and Jake are the main characters of the show.  Finn is a child, and Jake is child-like.  Most of the show only portrays their perspective, which is understandably simplistic.  It's also getting less simplistic as time goes on.  Look at who Finn is dating right now.  He's learning about the world.  Another example is Lemongrab.  The guy has severe anti-social disorders.  Finn & Jake's reaction is to get on with their typical white knight justice routine, but the more mature Bubblegum steps in almost like a parent and says "No, he's just got problems and I'm responsible for that."  It seems to me like their attitude towards Lemongrab changed drastically after she made them second-guess their reaction.

2.  They live in an extremely dangerous, broken world, and their adventuring mostly consists of them clearing the danger out of it.  I can't actually think of any examples of them killing anyone who didn't pose a threat, even if they were "evil".  They also find alternative solutions quite often.  There's been a few episodes with an aggressor where they decided not to punish that aggressor because they simply had a problem that could be resolved.

A show where they were willing to let Iceking, a rather harmless villain, die but chose not to because it would be too distasteful.

You lost me on this one.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 06:39:38 pm by SalmonGod »
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 20, 2013, 06:58:44 pm »

Neonivek, you are just a guy who thrives on controversy, aren't you.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 20, 2013, 07:31:00 pm »

Neonivek, you are just a guy who thrives on controversy, aren't you.

No, I am not really being serious. Though I don't project it here very well.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 20, 2013, 08:09:19 pm »

Oh... sorry I thought you were :P
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 19