Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Balance and Concetration as a displayable metric, and Stress  (Read 4539 times)

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Balance and Concetration as a displayable metric, and Stress
« on: February 21, 2013, 06:11:33 pm »

As of the writing of this post, Toady is currently working on a system of splitting actions off from movement, and as part of that, is including the capacity to do more than one thing in a given turn, including the likes of having hydra heads that all attack independently. 

Because of that, he included talk of how players can order multiple actions to take place at once, but with penalties to their behavior.

The point of this system is to better formalize this system in a manner that helps the player understand the penalties, as well as makes it a mechanic that can be used to make combat as a whole more interesting by making attacks that drop an enemy's guard more possible than currently implemented.

Spoiler: Balance (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Concentration (click to show/hide)

Either one of these serve as short-term resources the player can spend - powerful attacks are unbalancing, for example, and if an enemy is unbalanced, you can shove them or strike to push them further off-balance or even prone.  An unbalanced character defends themselves less well, and moves slower and more clumsily. Hence, you have to weigh the gains you can make with a powerful attack against the risks of being left exposed to counter-strike.

This also helps model a more dynamic combat than what we currently have.

By letting players actually see some indication of how balanced or imbalanced they are, it helps players understand the mechanics of combat, and can bring melee combat more towards a level like that seen in games like how Mount and Blade handles dueling. 

Spoiler: Mechanics (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Opportunity attacks (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Stress (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 11:20:48 pm by NW_Kohaku »
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
Re: Balance and Concetration as a displayable metric, and Stress
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2013, 10:03:50 pm »

But what if one wants their adventurer to start out used to the spartan lifestyle? Or is an outsider, who presumably came from the wilds? Presumably most adventurers are not cushy city types when they begin, but rather peasants whose idea of a comfortable bed is something made from a single log and nothing else, a mattress being an undreamed of comfort reserved for the gods.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2013, 10:35:02 pm »

That would lend itself to a more advanced mechanic, one I skimped on because I wanted to keep the original post short.

But with a personality rewrite introducing more detailed desires for characters, it could be extended over to adventurers, as well, and create characters that relax with different things.

If you have metrics off of what the player has done in the past, or off of what job or background you might be able to work into the adventurer's past (which could be interesting on their own,) you could create different things that bring about the emotional well-being of different characters.

(And this could work in fortress mode as well - not everyone being as happy over the same things as other dwarves.)

For example, if you have a character with a huge amount of some sort of faithfulness personality aspect, (especially if they have a background as a priest or a templar or something, or currently are some sort of holy night creature hunter out to cleanse the unclean,) they might relieve their stress from prayer or meditation or knowing that they have achieved some work in the service of their religion.

A more hedonistic sort might hate such an activity, but gain far more relaxation from a really fine wine and the finest room in the inn.   

A spartan might find their peace through martial training drills that focus upon clearing the mind in a meditative-like way.

Such a mechanic would help personalize each adventurer at the same time that it also makes players have to care a little more about the upkeep of their characters. 
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2013, 10:49:33 pm »

And then you might not have to worry about it much if you reach "doesn't really care about anything any more." Or, even better/worse, your adventurer's personality means they de-stress by being in the thick of bloody combat, or, and this is scary, giving and receiving pain.

But that's a little off-topic for action/speed mechanics. I also have to wonder about the other way around, one action having multiple effects, like swinging a great big maul and the momentum of your blow causes it to keep going into the next guy after it knocks the first down.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2013, 11:10:09 pm »

Such a thing as swinging through a single target and hitting the next should probably only happen with very (relatively) light creatures compared to your strength.  You can swing a maul through multiple flies with ease, but probably not a group of heavily armed knights unless you had Herculean strength or were a bronze colossus or something. 

That said, it should be possible among combatants with more parity in terms of mass for knocking a target off-balance with a mighty blow (or just a properly-timed shove, kick, or shield bash), and causing them to tumble into a nearby ally and make them both fall over.

On the other topic, there should be some care given towards making sure there isn't one really easy way to destress that everyone will want to have.

For someone who enjoys bloody combat, it might be a compulsion to seek it out, where you can't stand being in town not killing things for too long.  A masochistic blood knight might have to start cutting themselves if they can't go without feeling pain. 

That said, "doesn't really care about anything anymore" tends to remind me more of the Thousand-Yard Stare, where it basically describes dissociative psychological coping mechanisms (they don't recognize the concept of death or have empathy for other living beings anymore) as well as a sign of PTSD.

If anything, the PTSD aspect should probably be played up, as right now, it's actually a benefit in game terms to have characters who are hardened against death.

They might have sudden panic attacks that result in uncontrollable behavior and spikes in stress that make them go for potentially self-destructive self-medicative behaviors like binge drinking or (if it ever gets added) substance abuse to calm down.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2013, 11:30:56 pm »

Or possible melancholy and eventual suicide. For the sadomasochist blood knight, yeah, that's pretty much what I was thinking. They get anxious and full of pent up energy from not having anything to kill for too long, maybe they go berserk, maybe they main someone and then calm down. Or maybe you have some kind of noble savage, who really cares about allies and friends but also really loves dismembering enemies.

If you're a human warrior against shorter targets, like kobolds or animal people, it makes sense for one blow to connect with two opponents. Already, one target just receives the full force of the blow and gets propelled away.

Robosaur

• Bay Watcher
  • [POOP:INORGANIC: NUCLEAR_BOMBS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2013, 12:36:32 am »

Such a thing as swinging through a single target and hitting the next should probably only happen with very (relatively) light creatures compared to your strength.  You can swing a maul through multiple flies with ease, but probably not a group of heavily armed knights unless you had Herculean strength or were a bronze colossus or something. 
Or magic hammer.
You are a terrible person and the sad truth is deep down you know it.

fractalman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2013, 02:54:57 pm »

I think the balance part of this would fix throwing quite nicely: throwing uses almost no concentration, but a fair amount of balance, while archery uses almost pure concentration...the amount of balance used up should be based loosely on conservation of momentum, with heavier stuff using up m more balance.  Throwing a coin might use up next to no balance; throwing a cobalite stone or fluffy wambler should use up a sizeable chunk (say, 25 % or so), and if you somehow manage to throw a dragon or whale, it should use up more than 100%, causing you to take damage from slamming into the ground really hard.   (and require at least 80% or 95% balance to even attempt).  Naturally, a good throwing skill would mean less balance lost, but it should be a pretty small effect to avoid making it too quadratic.

This is a masterwork ledger.  It contains 3719356 pages on the topic of the precise number and location of stones in Spindlybrooks.  In the text, the dwarves are hauling.
"And here is where we get the undead unicorns. Stop looking at me that way, you should have seen the zombie deer running around last week!"

syyrah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2013, 05:51:33 pm »

This is very interesting. I would like to add that untrained skills could consume a lot more concentration than trained ones. They become more intstinctual and automatic to ones body, as they get used more often (or opposite then they become rusty due long periods of unuse).

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2013, 07:25:06 pm »

Can skills rust all the way back to zero? A lot of muscle memory things stay with people for life. For a good example, most people have a great deal of experience with walking, so walking takes almost no concentration.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2013, 07:36:36 pm »

No matter hardened or tough you are, there are still healthy benefits to being comfortable, listening to your body when it tells you that it's been pushed beyond it's limits, and reducing stress.

Even the Spartans understood the concept of balance: Boys attending the Agoga (the training to make them Spartan soldier-citizens) were fed "just the right amount for them never to become sluggish through being too full, while also giving them a taste of what it is not to have enough" (Wikipedia), and in addition to fighting skills and military tactics, they were taught reading, writing, music, dancing, and rhetoric.

(Rhetoric, by the way, is the skill of public speaking, in a manner that is convincing, commanding, comprehensive, communication.)

Spartans trained their youths to be intelligent and civilized warriors and leaders; not slave gladiators, or robot fightin' machines. They're also unique among the ancient Greek city-states by formally educating Spartan women, so in some ways they were actually more civilized than the rest of the Classical Greeks. They also ruled a vast slave-empire, because they didn't want to endure the REAL hard work of farming (so terribly difficult that it's still terribly difficult today, or atleast as bad as running a successful restaurant); and you don't exactly need a dozen or more slaves per citizen if you're a party-hating Puritan. 

For they would be your masters.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2013, 07:40:50 pm »

Can skills rust all the way back to zero? A lot of muscle memory things stay with people for life. For a good example, most people have a great deal of experience with walking, so walking takes almost no concentration.

You are a dabbling walker.  You fail your walk check - you flounder.  You have collided with an obstacle (ground). Your nose is now bruised. You are prone. Roll to stand.

Sorry.

You're right, we should assume everyone has "Legendary" skill with walking.  People tell tall tales with how mightily and confidently we can put one leg in front of the other without fear of stumbling and falling.

No, wait...

Skills hypothetically can rust back to zero, but they basically never do unless it's a skill you never use, and that essentially only happens with things like doctor skills.  It takes years in fortress mode for rust to take you down even a couple skill levels. 

You also get a bonus to re-learning rusted skills up to where it was.  So hence, it would be like being... well, rusty at riding a bike - you pick it back up soon enough.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2013, 08:10:22 pm »

I meant walking IRL as an example of muscle memory, and how people have it so ingrained through practice that most people can have a conversation without messing up their walking.

So, once something becomes reflexive (at about Adept, I think) it would take almost no concentration to perform. Mental skills, however, would probably need concentration, like anything involving forming an image in your mind or calculation.

SuicideJunkie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2013, 12:50:20 pm »

Regarding the walking "skill"...
Newborns have none.  When they first become children and stand up, they're up to adequate after trying to stand enough times.
The surface should matter.  A rough stone floor would be easy to stand and walk on, allowing toddlers to walk on it first, but it would stop giving walking XP quickly when there is no challenge.  Smoothed or junk covered floors would up the difficulty and cause toddlers to fall down to a crawl while making children work a bit harder at it.  Tiles slick with flowing water would be on the harder end, giving even adults a challenge and washing away children.

A legendary walker would be someone who won't fall down on any terrain.  Like Nik Wallenda who came up on the first page of a google search.  You and me aren't legendary like that, and we'd fall if we tried to walk the same terrain as him ;).

Anyone who has been bedridden for a long time will have rusted, and their steps will be wobbly at first even on easy surfaces.
It would make sense for the miner who has been in a dwarven hospital bed for two years to be a lot slower when he first gets back up, and fall if he overdoes it.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2013, 01:47:14 pm »

Don't forget that it should train strength, agility, and of course, spacial sense and kinesthetic sense. (Everything trains spacial sense and kinesthetic sense, it's the dry mouth of attributes.)

Obviously, we should train all our dwarves with several laps around the fortress every morning for their attribute health before ever allowing them to take a single job.

Come on, guys, that was a joke comment.  The last thing we need is having to train dwarves in breathing skill.

And yes, I knew what you meant, HugoLuman.

A legendary walker would be someone who won't fall down on any terrain.  Like Nik Wallenda who came up on the first page of a google search.  You and me aren't legendary like that, and we'd fall if we tried to walk the same terrain as him ;).

The problem is, and what my joke was, is that there's nothing stopping everyone from being legendary in any skill they use frequently.  If every step gives you experience, every single dwarf would be "legendary" in a few months.  And the joke is, if everyone's a "legend", then nobody is.

I still don't believe that something like melee combat shouldn't take concentration, however.  Especially if you are aiming for something really small, like an eye, it should chew up concentration, and using that concentration makes you less likely to dodge incoming attacks during the intervening time.

If there's a difference between quick jabs and powerful wind-up attacks, or carefully aimed shots at the eye-holes in the helmet/glowing weak point, and there's "reaction moments", then making concentration part of the mechanic why committing yourself to one action means less capacity to react to changes in your situation is the whole reason why the concentration suggestion exists.

Beyond combat, unless we're talking about a magic system or something, I'm not sure where concentration would actually terribly matter for using more than one skill at a time.  (Maybe you could have a concentration penalty based upon working while hungry or in pain or some ghost is making a ruckus behind you or something, but you shouldn't be doing two normal, mundane tasks at a workshop at the same time.)
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare
Pages: [1] 2 3 4