Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12

Author Topic: The Age Of Fire: Game Thread  (Read 26478 times)

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
Re: The Age Of Fire: Game Thread
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2013, 10:56:51 pm »

Chapter Three: Connections, Connections
Merlin
Matthew sat in the empty shop behind the counter, having done what he was supposed to do for the day. The shop wasn't exactly as one would imagine a mysterious shop to look like. On Matthew's recommendation, going overboard would just make people think it's just another one of those fake magic shops. Gun shops don't cover every available surface with targets with Osama Bin Ladin's face and constantly play The Star Spangled Banner all day, every day. Thus, they wouldn't have any stuffed crocodiles and the lighting would be reasonable.

Thus, the shop was well-lit (Matthew tried to do it with mystical low-lighting, but he kept tripping over things), there was little to no crystal balls, and Matt just wore a t-shirt, jeans, and somewhat scuffed sneakers. Magicians used lots of lighting and flare, snappy suits, and an extremely dramatic tone as if talking to a very deaf old lady. To make it more authentic, this shop would be less business casual and more casual causal, the magic underspoken, and the staff apathetic in a polite sort of a way.

[14] Everything was prepared, anyway. The artifacts were half random ideas he had, and the other half stuff borrowed from fantasy books that weren't the artifacts destined to change the world. That was a little above Matt's knowledge and Merlin said that those kind of artifacts were best saved for a rainy day. Now, all he had to do was wait for the customers.

He began to write in his journal to pass the time.

Soooo, shop's done. Artifacts present and accounted for. I wonder how much this is going to make. I mean, those mysterious shops always kinda seemed scammy. Disappearing right when the person wants a refund? Please. That seems like a very quick way of getting sued. It seems like a little too much effort just to scam one customer. Anyway, to the point. I imagine a few people will wander in here, tell their friends about the amazing thing they just found. Word spreads. The good news is that no-one would be stupid enough to try and rob a magic shop.

He paused for a second, and thought.

Who am I kidding. There's probably someone who is stupid enough to rob a magic shop.

Suddenly, the bell rang as the door rattled open. Matt looked up from his diary, closing it shut. Holding the door open was a man with messy white hair, a cigarette loosely hanging off his lip, and the greenest eyes Matt had ever seen. They seemed to flash, reflecting the light in the shop. He wore a black coat and had a raggedy duffle bag.

"Hello." he said, with an accent that was vaguely European, perhaps somewhere in the vicinity of England. "Is this the shop?"

"It is a shop, yeah." said Matt.

"I would assume it is a shop, but is it the shop?" said the man, walking inside and looking around at the shelves of trinkets and amulets.

"Depends on your definition of shop." said Matt.

"Yes, it's definitely the shop, then." said the man. He picked up an amulet and seemed to be appraising it.

"That's 10 dollars." Matt said in a raised voice. The man looked at him and raised an eyebrow, nodding. He put the amulet back in it's place.

"Well, this is all... above average. A good start, I must say." said the man. "By current standards, excellent."

"What do you mean, current standards?" said Matt, standing up. The man smiled slightly.

"I'm quite interested in this shop, but you definitely are going to need funding if you're going to get anywhere. You'll make a pretty penny, but it won't be exactly what you're looking for." said the man. "My name is Jules White, pleasure to meet you."

"Thanks. What's this funding you're talking about?" asked Matt, standing up. Jules walked over to the counter and laid his hands on it.

"So, you think you're getting much of anywhere by making magical trinkets out of spoons?" said Jules. He took the cigarette and took a drag of it, blowing smoke into the air beside him.

"How'd you guess it was spoons?" asked Matt, trying to out assert Jules. Jules was tall, so it was definitely an uphill struggle.

"I'm quite knowledgeable. Now, magic is magic, but it always needs a catalyst. The human mind can only get you so far, even if your master is damn fine at it. The trinkets are okay without them, but they can't be truly great without the catalysts. You need proper ingredients, equipment. Graveyard dirt, god's hand, dragon scales... Very useful, very hard to get nowadays. But I can get you them." said Jules.

"How do you plan to do that?" said Matt, standing on his tip-toes. Even then, he only got up to Jules chest.

"I have my ways. Before you ask, I demand no money. You just will owe me a favor or two. What do you say?" Jules said, smiling charmingly. The man was shadier then the inside of a cave, but Matt was hesitant to turn him away.

"I'll have to ask Mer... my boss." said Matt.

"Brilliant. I hope we can come to an agreement." said Jules. He nodded and turned around, then walked out of the shop. Matt felt oddly relieved he left. Those green eyes made Matt edgy, like he couldn't trust himself for some reason. Like they knew him all too well.

In a back alley, Jules (Who wasn't named White; his kind did not have surnames) tossed the duffle bag off, which dissipated before it hit the ground. The Stranger was leaning against a nearby wall covered in graffiti. Jules' coat began to stretch and bleach itself into a white trenchcoat, The Stranger looked at Jules with a snarky gaze that radiated from the gasmask.

"It'll pay off." said Jules. "It's about time we started acting. We only have so much time."

The Stranger shrugged. It had all the time in the world.

"I know time is on our side, but it isn't on the side of this world."

The Stranger rolled it's face extremely dramatically, a pantomime version of rolling it's eyes, and walked off. Jules smiled. Everything was going to plan.
A man visits the shop, offering to supply magical ingredients so the shop can maximize profit. The catch is, you'll owe him a favor. However, check out Jack's part of the update, as there may be something important there for you too.

Lloyd Absolon
Thomas Azur sat with his fingers steepled, staring at the hoodlum with the green hood. This had been going on for the last twenty minutes. No-one had said anything at all. Outside, a crow cawed and flew away, breaking the incredibly awkward silence.

"So." said Thomas. "I understand you took out everyone possessing a regulator."

"Yeah." said Green.

"And I understand that people are still getting regulators." said Thomas.

"Yeah." said Green.

"All of whom are in the Rust Streets."

"Yeah."

"Which your gang owns."

"Yeah."

"So... You're telling me you cannot figure out how these large, obvious objects got into your part of town, despite the fact that mass-production of these things would be... rather obvious. You're telling me that you and your gang have precisely zero information about this rather large problem."

Green shifted uncomfortably in his seat. "It's not that bad. I mean, there's only like, [10] 4 or 5 more Regs."

"In the past month." said Thomas, leaning back in his seat. He stared at the ceiling angrily. "You're going to fix this. Find out who's making the regulators, kill them, break the machinery that makes them. You are dismissed."

Green stood up and walked off. Thomas looked at the ceiling, all tasteful plaster and topped off with an expensive chandelier. Wasn't everything going so well before?

Blue and Green leaned against the wall somewhere in the Rust Streets while the boombox played subpar gangster rap. Blue was smoking a joint while Green was drinking a beer, their heads nodding to the beat of the music. They were both worried.

"So, we know the Regs are coming from the Rust Streets." said Blue.

"Yeah, we do." said Green, pausing for a moment to take a drink. "And we know it's deep Rust Streets. Albernary Square deep. We checked everywhere else, and we didn't find nothing."

"Fuck me." said Blue. "We don't even deal there. Who would set up shop there?"

"I dunno, it's full of crazy hobos and junkies fucked up on stuff we wouldn't even think of dealing. Like, there, bath salts is something you have with your cereal." said Green.

"So, Rust Streets, deep streets. What else?"

"We know the old Absolon place has been starting up again. Seems like an actual factory again. Power's on and all. I even heard some guys with the regs have gone in there and haven't come out..."

"Fuck me twice! Who'd restart a factory there? Let alone Absolon's. What happened to him, anyway?"

"I think he went crazy and shot himself."

"I heard he went to Sweden and paints pictures of naked chicks."

They both took a drag/drink of their respective substances in deep thought.

"Lucky bastard." said Blue. "That sounds like a really goddamn nice job."

"Yeah, but eventually one naked chick looks like another, right?" said Green. "It gets dull. I worked in a beer company and it was the same. Beer taster. I thought it was awesome, but eventually the beer gets really samey. Even the shit beer gets really dull. So I set the place on fire."

"... Why did you do that?" said Blue.

Green shrugged.

Sometimes, Blue did not understand his fellow gangmembers. The Hoods recruited basically anyone who had a hoodie, and this lead not only to a lot of idiots and incompetents, but a lot of psychopaths who were too crazy for any other gang. Green was one of the latter. "So, what do we do? Absolon seems like the obvious place. Maybe it's some sort of a hideout regulator factory combo..."

"I say we go in and shoot up the place." said Green.

"That's your answer to anything." said Blue.

"Not a lot that can't be fixed when you shoot up a place."

"This is one of those special cases. Think about it, the guy's gotta have some protection, or else he would have gotten taken out. And it'd be good protection, cos it's deep in the Rust Streets and we don't even go in that far. I don't wanna get involved with that shit. Unless we get either a battalion of the other Hoods or a few really skilled guys, it's dangerous. So, let's hire a hitman or something to take the fucker out. Question is, who?"

"Svenson?"

"Waaaay too expensive, bro."

"I heard about this one guy, Magnus. Pretty cheap. He used to be a total fuck-up, but now he's gotten good. They say he might be the guy behind that whole Green Eyed Amusement Park shoot-up."

"The one with no survivors?"

"That's the one."

Blue dropped his joint and tread one sneakered foot on it. A smile formed on his lips. "Sounds like the right man."

The Rust Streets was a nasty part of town filled with nasty people. Adam made sure he parked his car in a discreet alley and he kept his gun close to him. He kept to the alleys and made his way slowly to the factory like a soldier deep in enemy territory. Passing through the abandoned warehouses and the crack factories, he finally arrived at the gates of the Absolon place.

It was an art deco masterpiece, sure, but age hadn't been kind to it and it was the wrong look for a factory to have anyway, no practicality to it. Adam rattled the gates, but found they opened up. He looked at the pavement and saw a snapped chain with a lock on it. Bad sign.

He went into the courtyard of the factory and approached the doors of the factory, kicked open and riddled with bulletholes that allowed the murky sunlight passage. Inside the place was used but not fully repaired, only repaired enough to allow usage of it without risk of killing yourself thanks to a tetanus filled nail or a loose board on the ceiling. Adam sighed and took the pistol out of his holster. Guess this wasn't going to be easy.

He considered his options. Calling for backup would be an option, sure, but that would make noise and the backup would almost certainly not arrive in time. He could withdraw, but he could be minutes behind the person/s who shot the place up. He could press onward, but that would be risky as all hell. He could take a risk. Moving quickly along the corridor, he checked every room that looked like it had something.

[16+3=19] The first room was a goddamn armory, stocked half with strange weaponry made out of stolen computer electronics and steam pipes piled upon shelves and stuffed in lockers. It looked professional, but it was made out of whatever could be found at hand. He walked over to a table with one and examined it. He could nail them for gunrunning... problem is, what kind of gun was this? It looked too good to be a zipgun. Nevertheless, there was enough here to supply an army.

[17+3=20] The other half of the merchandise was a bunch of strange prosthetic limbs. They appeared to be made out of some sort of a plastic, like you'd find on mannequins, but it seemed some modifications had been made to them, as they felt lighter and remade to be better suited for attachment to human beings. This complicated things. What sort of a factory was this? Gunrunners don't  do jobs in prosthetics. Perhaps this theoretical army of gangbangers would need back-up limbs? He could theorize later. He had to keep going. He left the room and tried the next door.

[19] When he tried the handle, he could hear people on the other side back away and whisper. He kicked the door down and aimed his pistol inside. Disheveled masses of homeless people and crackheads stared at the pistol. The room was a large hall filled with bunkbeds and footlockers. Adam lowered the pistol cautiously, and the people visibly relaxed.

"Hello. I'm Adam, I'm a cop. I'm not going to hurt any of you. Now can someone please tell me what's going on here?" he said, in his best good cop tone.

A crackhead stood out, and coughed. Now that Adam could see her clearly, the crackhead seemed oddly healthy. There was obvious needlepricks and she was only wearing a t-shirt and cargo pants, but she had a glow to her and her eyes showed she wasn't zoned out. She was clean. Very odd. Not like crackheads to cure themselves. She said "We heard gunshots outside, then I opened the door a crack and saw this guy in a trenchcoat with a Tommy Gun stroll past. Then there was this huge boom and the building shook. That was ten minutes ago."

"What are you doing here?" asked Adam, trying to ignore that chilly feeling that came with the realization that the guy was probably still in the building.

"We were... invited." said the girl. "I think you better call for backup, he looked like a killer. Can we go now?"

"Stay here, barricade the doors, wait until the police reinforcements arrive." said Adam, trying to keep them in one place so they could be properly questioned. He wasn't going to call for backup. He preferred to do that when he was sure he had a suspect.

The girl nodded, and Adam closed the door behind him as he walked out. He hoped they'd stay put, but they'd probably get the hell out as soon as they were sure he was gone. He looked at the corridor and noticed one of the doors was slightly ajar, so he opened it and headed through, keeping a close eye on the parameter.

What he saw was a slaughterhouse of bodies. Metal bodies.

They were so torn apart it was hard to tell if they were just metal models of people or actual gangsters in armor. He remembered the hushed discussion about what Richard saw in that factory, in the Rust Streets. Something bad, something metal, something nasty. He dismissed the thought. Gangsters didn't have robots. The army barely had robots. Thinking like that made you easy to trip up. Examine the situation, focus on the practicalities.

He was in some sort of a factory room. Some of the tables were turned over into makeshift barricades, indicating they knew what was coming and were ready to defend against it, but it didn't do them much good. Without the girl explaining, he would have assumed it was a platoon that took them down, but it had to be one highly skilled man. The bodies were half shredded by gunfire, half blown apart by some sort of an explosion. Perhaps from the burnt out remains of that barrel, perhaps shot by a stray bullet (or perhaps intentionally) that leaked out oil. In the center was the half-ash remains of a rag. He could see it now, he was in the zone. The gunman takes advantage of the fire, gets a rag from a table or from his coat, lights it up with a match or a lighter. Tosses it into the oil.

Kaboom. There goes the majority of your targets. Along with you, if you weren't careful.

Obviously showed quick thinking and some goddamn balls from the perp. Must have been the explosion the girl was talking about. It all fitted. Adam heard the sound of something slamming against metal, and headed towards it. He opened a metal door, which exposed a long corridor that was tidier then the others. Down the hall was a wooden door, which had the lock kicked in. Dead-end, motherfucker, thought Adam. It's just you and me.

The rush got him going so fast that he forgot to call in back-up. He had delayed it so long he forgot to keep reminding himself. He moved quickly to the door and opened it slowly, peeking inside.

Inside was an office, cleaner then the other places and with fancy glass windows, with a large wooden desk that was made out of a fine oak, against which a guy in a fancy suit was slammed up against by a gorilla of a man in a trenchcoat. The slammed guy was Lloyd Absolon, Adam remembered him from the research he did on the place. If this had gone well in any capacity, Lloyd would be answering the door instead of this.

"You're going to tell me who's making the regulators..." said the goon, who had Absolon in a chokehold in one hand with a tommy gun in the other hand. Did they still make those? "Or I'm going to get real nasty. I hope you understand where I'm coming from here."

"Yes, yes, I understand." said Absolon. "Now, could you loosen your grip on my neck, please?"

"I'm afraid not." said the goon. "So, are you going to tell me who is making the regulators?"

"I say this with all politeness and non-offensive intent, but maybe I could start telling you if your hairy hands weren't choking my throat."

Adam took his chance. The door swung open and he pointed his gun right at the perp. He expected a hostage situation, but the goon just threw the factory owner to the ground and aimed his gun at Adam.

"Heya, champ..." said Adam. "We're all friends here, just point that piece elsewhere..."

"Why should I?" said the goon, everything except his mouth hidden by the fedora. "You aren't exactly in a superior position."

"If you kill me me, try making your way out of a building that's surrounded by cops." lied Adam. The guy would probably get away faster then the cops would arrive if he had even called for backup. He would have kicked himself, if the situation allowed for it. "I may not have the best gun here, but my friends have better guns then your antique there."

"Believe me, this antique--" and that's all the goon got to say before Lloyd did something Adam didn't expect. He kicked the goon in the stomach. He didn't even flinch, but it distracted him. His gun swung away from Adam to Lloyd. Take a risk... take a chance...

That's when Adam tackled the bastard through the window.

And everything was going so well for Magnus.

Clear out a factory, okay. The factory was stocked with robots, but that wasn't too weird. He'd seen, and was in fact, weirder now. Grill the owner for questions on where those regulators came from, right. Magnus was good at grilling. They'd squeal eventually. But then the cop in the black trenchcoat showed up...

They smashed through the window and landed in a heap on the dirt. The cop punched Magnus in the face with one hell of a right hook. It hurt, but there wasn't much effect. Magnus brought the tommy gun up and tried to push it under the cop's chin, but the cop pushed the gun to Magnus's stomach tight. Magnus let go of the tommy gun then tried to grab the cop's arms.

Magnus was strong; the cop was quick. He dodged away from his arms and rose in a swift motion, stealing the gun then tossed it away before Magnus could grab it. Luckily, he always had a back-up plan. As the cop made his own motion to grab his piece, Magnus took out old Bessy: his 32. revolver. The bullet hit the cop in the stomach, and he fell to the ground. The assassin smiled triumphantly and stood up, then walked over to the cop. His eyes were closed.

Magnus gave the cop credit. He knew how to feint right. As he stood over him, the cop grabbed his piece and shot him right in the eye. Even with the magic, it hurt like hell. He groaned and stumbled away, clutching his eye. The little shit was shooting to kill! Before he could recuperate, the cop slammed right into him again. They pushed through something metal (A shed, perhaps) and then he crashed into a wall. The cop was visible now... and he made one fatal mistake.

Close enough to headbutt. Magnus felt pleasure in seeing the kid's forehead split open. The cop landed onto a pile of junk with a loud thump, the blood loss obviously taking it's toll. Something fell over and began to pour something. Magnus ignored it, and put two bullets in the cop, his nice little trenchcoat getting torn to shit.

Magnus took out a pack of cigarettes and put one in his mouth. "Gotta admit, kid." he said. "You put up one hell of a fight. No-one in this city, not even the Mafiya or the Irish, nor those robots in there, put as good a fight as you did. That was real fun..." He chuckled and brought out his lighter, flicking it open.

The cop whipped out his dinky little 9mm and fired at Magnus's lighter. It was blasted out of his hands, and the lighter began to drop.

Magnus looked at the kid. He must have thought it was a gun. Magnus lifted a foot to move forward, then almost slipped. He looked down. The entire floor was covered in a clear liquid with swirls of the petrochemical rainbow. Magnus looked up at the cop with panic, and so did the cop. The lighter landed.

"Oh." said the cop.

"Fuck." said Magnus.

KABOOOOM!

foj
error
8**6^system
disrepency&jNn65%hhh%**)
$detectedmnngrrgg
rgrepairinggxx;xpxolslx(dA""{}}4393444
$^&&&&&&&&&&&&)004434346

Stabilized.

Damage report.

Head = DAMAGED GUNSHOT (SYSTEMS IMPAIRED)
Torso = DAMAGED GUNSHOT

Deteeeeee58****^^**^*^*^*^$$$ detected broken worker

Identification UNKNOWN, possibly special guard AYANA.

Appears human; wears clothing identified as TRENCHCOAT; possesses black hair. Description of AYANA: unknown. Most likely, AYANA.

Directive: repair worker.

Fulfilling directive...

A trenchcoated assassin assaulted the factory, and was only stopped by a young police officer who unfortunately got trapped in an explosion that dispatched the assassin. Though it seems the police officer might not be entirely dead... Ayana and Aldrow are alive.

Robert

Joan waited on the street corner of the street at high noon, the sky the troubled grey of a rotten corpse. It wasn't a bad neighborhood, definitely no murderers prowling the streets in this area. It had been hit hard by the downturn, and it was obvious not much around here was being maintained, but at least you didn't have to constantly figure out whether or not that's a nice crackhead or a crazy crackhead, or dealing with the suburban jungle with all it's paranoia and false cheer. Joan didn't like anything that existed outside of her doorway, or at least didn't trust it.

Joan was wrapped up tightly in loose clothing, which was the only thing that fit her now that puberty was still hitting her in the face a year after her growth spurt was supposed to be over and done with. With computers, everything was on-time unless something was seriously wrong, and even then you could crack open the casing and find the problem, like a busted fan or a clogged RAM. You couldn't do that with humans, not even surgeons could do everything a computer geek could do with a computer.

She leaned against the wall and tapped her sneakered shoe upon the tarmac boredly. What the hell was she even doing here? What was she expecting to find? Did she think this was some sort of a fucked up Alternate Reality Game and she was going to get a prize? This wasn't a job offer, they only offered jobs like that in movies. You get an email, you go to an interview, done. It was that simple. But then again, didn't everyone want life to be like the movies? In the films you never had to look for a parking space, cool things just happened to you, and 90% of the time you were really damn attractive, with no acne or issues with sexuality. Maybe this one time, life would conform?

No, it wouldn't. That's why she gave up on it. If the rain is pouring down on you, why stand out in it for no reward?

She should have just gone home. There was nothing for her here. As she walked away, a set of footsteps approached her from behind. She span around to look. Joan had a taser in her pocket, and if anyone tried to fuck with her they were getting one hell of a shock.

Behind her was the quintessiental image of a professor. Square, black eyeglasses, labcoat, rather nerdy sweater underneath it. He looked young, younger then most professors. Maybe late 20s, early 30s? Joan wasn't the greatest with people when it wasn't over a computer, but she knew this was the guy just by looking at him.

"I assume you're the one I'm looking for?" said the professor.

Play it cool. Don't sound stupid. "I could ask the same question." said Joan, assuming that was something a cool person would say. She worried she got the inflection wrong it.

"Come with me." he said with a total deadpan. He turned around and began to walk. Without anything else to do, she followed along.

"So, what's with the virus?" asked Joan.

"Leeches off CPU and remains undetected, cheaper then making multiple computers and undetectable." said the scientist, his feet clacking off the pavement. "And whomever detects it--"

"Gets a job offer, because that anti-trace process you put on it was one hell of a maze, I don't even think a team of Chinese government blackhats could pierce that, I barely got through it by luck. By the way, up your password detection software, it was too easy with a relatively basic decrypter. Apart from that, the whole thing was almost impossible to crack. But whoever could do it would be better put to whatever you're planning, and it's better to have someone in pissing out then someone out pissing in, right?" Joan said in a few seconds. When she got into the zone, she spoke like a runaway train.

The professor looked mildly surprised. "Good deduction." he said.

"It's a hobby." said Joan, shrugging.

"You left an IP address on the webpage the offer was at." said the professor. "I tracked it to your home. I narrowed it to you. Why were you so obvious?"

"If you're giving up the location of your place, I might as well show I'm trusting. What'd you find out about me?" said Joan.

"Usual stuff. Birth certificate, school records, such and such." said the professor. "I understand you're very close to dropping out. That's quite bizarre, considering you were getting straight As when you were six."

"I stopped when I was seven. The kids beat you up, the adults think you're a freak. It takes an intelligent guy to ace the test, but it takes a smart one to pretend he's normal." said Joan. "Didn't matter anyway, everyone still hates me... And the work's pointless drudge anyway. They're trying to teach me how to move files in computer class, for instance. I could break their shitty little Dell laptops without moving my fingers away from the keyboard, but they're teaching me how to use MS Paint!"

"You dug your own grave there, to be honest." the Professor stopped at a building after saying it, leaving Joan wondering how she did so. "We're here."

Joan looked up at the building. It was a dry, depressing rectangular hulk of a place, disused and forgotten by all. There were cracks all the way down the walls and the metal door was covered in colorful graffiti and language. It was not exactly where a young lady should be hanging around.

The professor opened the door after jingling his keys. He looked at her.

"You coming?" he said. Joan slowly drew the taser, which he raised an eyebrow at.  "... Look, I don't want to have trouble."

"Listen, if you try anything in there, I'll have 10,000 volts up your ass before you can say Jack Robinson." said Joan. "If this is some sort of a scam or God knows what else, I don't want any part in it."

The professor smiled. "Don't worry. I saw you looking at the place, it's cleaner inside. Anyway, this isn't a scam or a con. I simply need someone to operate a computer for me."

"... What kind of computer?" said Joan.

"One that may interest you. If you were wondering, my name is Robert." said the man named Robert. He held out his hand. Joan looked at it, then put away the taser.

"Joan." she shook on it.

[20] The basement was covered in what looked like iron with more of a shimmer to it, like a mirage. It seemed the whole place was a converted subway station, linked to the building above by a subway stairway. It was cleaner then the other places, but it was much darker. He seemed to know the way, but Joan didn't. She illuminated the way down using the light of her phone. She didn't know if she was going to get paid for this or get nothing, but something about this place intrigued her. Something within her could tell she was in a place where big things happened.

Then she saw it.

In the age of legends, forgotten by all nowadays, alchemists and magicians made crystal balls and used pots to create the philosopher's stone. They were regarded with a mix of fear and awe; their instability only matched by their wondrous creations. Frankenstein and his monster weren't the first mad scientists, as nothing is new under the sun. Now, instead of bearded wise men staring into crystal balls for hints of a distant past, there was young men with eyes full of fire staring into the light of the computer screen to find the answer to everything they could ask. Neither of them would think of stopping on their quest for knowledge, to say that they had had enough information. They would keep going and going until they were either totally insane or knew all there was to know.

When Joan stared into the lights of the computer, blinking in the darkness, she knew how those men and women from ages past felt, staring upon the arcane power of the insane.

"This..." said Joan, wondering if she should say something against it. "Is amazing."

"Enthusiastic right off the bat, aren't you?" said Robert, but Joan was miles away. She walked toward the tree of screens and wires and stared up at it. Data whirred and calculations made in split seconds, all in the labyrinthine casing of the computer. She reached out to touch it.

"Don't touch!" said Robert, grabbing her and with surprising force pushing her down.

"You hired me, I can touch what I want." said Joan.

"It'd be a very bad idea." said Robert. "Possibly fatal. You can touch the keyboard there." He motioned to a desk by the table, lain beside it was a 3D printer connected to the tree. She hadn't seen one before in real life, and looked closer to examine it with the phone as a light.

[18+3=20 capped] It was connected perfectly, even though with the amount of wires the computer had coming out of it, it was practically a fire magnet. The 3D printer was on, but it had a few things added that she noticed in the computer. For one thing, a pad with several letters that matched certain chemicals from the periodic table, and a green button beside it. Strange.

She looked at the screen itself. [9+3=12] It wasn't too remarkable at first glance, even if she didn't recognize the operating system. It sort of reminded her of the game Uplink, or the animations they showed in those 90s films when they wanted to show what it looked like when someone was 'hacking' a train to hit a penny on the road or whatever bullshit they were going on about back in those days. He didn't code it from scratch, did he? He looked at her, and she looked back.

"I'm intrigued." said Joan. "But I'd like to know what exactly I'm meant to be doing here."

"For now, just..." Robert seemed to search for words in the gloom of the station. "Do your regular thing. See how far you can push it, perhaps."

Joan smiled. It had been a long time since she could do that after she had finished the overclocking of her personal computer, which was considered only for grandmas and extremely poor people before and by the end of her modifications it was a deadly weapon. Though, it did come at the cost of her parents getting shouted at by the electric company for using more power then some 3rd world nations during the experimentation.

First things first, she was going to do what she considered her ideal stress-test. She downloaded Crysis from ThePirateBay, then played it. One would have thought this would have been a slight waste of such a brilliant device, but she was going somewhere with this. She started it up and put all the settings up to full. Some computers have frozen to a stop, crashed entirely, or in a few cases set themselves on fire from the sheer effort of doing this. The computer didn't even whirr. Joan then started up Crysis ten more times with the same settings.

A tiny whirr came from the computer, as if asking "That all you got?". She raised an eyebrow. She could barely run two copies of Crysis without the computer slowing. She started a game of it. After about ten minutes of throwing North Koreans off of wooden bridges, the computer was still going strong. She switched off the game and thought for a few seconds. Okay, now it was time to bring out the big guns.

She downloaded a town building (Sort of) game named Dwarf Fortress. It was a highly detailed game that Joan tended to play when she needed something that wasn't 80% cinematic set pieces and 20% reflexes and had some actual tactics in it. She also downloaded a save for the game that was marked "TOTAL FPS DEATH". This was a term within the game's community for when the strain on the computer from simulating so many dwarves and socks fallen on the ground that the game itself slowed down the computer, even though the graphics were simply letters and numbers. This was her atom bomb. This would prove it once and for all. She loaded up the save.

The fortress in the game was full of smiley faces and random objects, and the computer was under the minimum of strain from running the game. Dwarf Fortress ran smoothly and kept it up, like the exact opposite of Joan's sex life. Joan actually laughed with glee. This machine was blatantly doing the impossible, and she didn't care at all.

The next few hours passed in a daze, they might as well have been minutes. She couldn't remember exactly what she was doing on the computer, it was all a haze of programming and trying to push the computer to it's limits even when it wasn't getting any closer to the limit. The other screens were just random stats and graphs on how the CPU was doing, which was handy, but she didn't need it. She was one with the machine, both thinking the same thing at the same time, one feeding into another, the tree of knowledge and light...

She was jolted out of the dream by a hand laid on her shoulder. Robert looked at her.

"You've been on that for hours" said Robert. "I think you're going to end up passing out on it at this rate."

She looked at the clock on the computer. Last it had been was late morning, now it was the evening. What was that? "I have to go home, my parents are probably..." Joan trailed off, and looked at her phone. Fifteen missed calls, more texts. "Shit, I am in so much trouble." She stood up and walked out of the station as quickly as she could, onto the street and back towards home. But she wouldn't forget that feeling, no. She needed that feeling.
Everything is set up, and Joan has been effectively recruited.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 10:59:17 pm by Fniff »

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2013, 10:57:45 pm »

Red Kirmiz

Johnny jumped as the payphone rang. He was on the street, wondering what to do with his new orders, and being very thankful he had gloves. Sometimes he wondered if there was ever a sunny day in this city. There was a question of etiquette with payphones that should have ended when cell phones became popular, as to whether or not you should answer a payphone that's ringing. It's uncertain as to why you would want to ring a payphone unless you were conducting a drug deal, but a ringing phone was a ringing phone.

Johnny looked at the payphone, then walked over and held his hand over it. He hesitated, leaving it to ring once more, then he picked it up.

"Johnny Carpenter?" said a guy on the other end. He had a light chinese accent, and had a certain charisma to him. It was different to Jack's attractive mannerisms, it was more casual and plain, like an excellent craftsman causally leaving his new masterpiece on the table without so much of a second thought.

He was getting way too used to this kind of shit. "Yeah, who's this?" he asked boredly.

"Me and my associates have shown interest in your activities." he said. "Entering the games of Heart's Desire, betting your life while remaining perfectly safe unlike Duffey, what a good show. We believe, in fact, that you could prove to be very handy."

"Listen, buddy, I get this whole conspiracy thing keeps relying on me to be your errand boy, but I'm Red's errand boy for now. You're going to have to get somebody else." said Johnny, ready to hang up the phone. "Have a nice day."

"We have information about the shootings. In fact, we have exclusive information about a more recent one by the same shooter." he said this quickly, but he didn't stutter or make a hint of worry. His voice indicated everything was under control. Johnny stopped the phone's receiver an inch from hanging up. He put it back to his ear, sighing.

"Okay, where are we meeting?" said Johnny.

"Fu Fisheries at the waterfront. Come alone." There was a dial tone. This stank of the Tongs, or maybe the Yakuza. Chinese accents? Guys with a smooth tone? Fisheries with an Asian name attached? This was getting distinctly criminal. Who cared? He knew something was up from the start, this wasn't a change in affairs. He walked away from the phone, turning up his collars, and began to head toward the Fisheries. If there was anything he felt, he felt confident. The time for being scared was long gone.

When he opened the door, the entire office was dark. It smelt of fish and spilt ink. This was a place that computers hadn't touched, obviously. He had a bet that the desk probably held an old office typewriter, like you'd see in Mad Men or those old period flicks. He looked around inside, squinting in the darkness. The streetlights outside screwed up his vision, their hazy light sliding in through the raindrops against the windows. There was a brief flare of light as someone lit a cigarette.

He could see a Chinese guy, about thirty or so, in a black cap and blue overalls. A worker, probably. Maybe from the place itself. Hell, he could see "FU FISHERIES" in faux-gold thread on the top of the overalls. However, there was something... off about him. He didn't look right. He was like those CGI people you see in films all the time nowadays: almost right, but not there yet. Johnny dismissed the thoughts. The chinese guy looked up at him and stepped off the table with the cigarette loosely hanging off his lip.

"Good night." He said. "Well, a terrible night in actual fact."

"Get to the point." said Johnny. "What am I doing here?"

"Good question, and one I'm glad to answer. I am here to give you this information." He held up a folder. "This is all the details we could gather about the shootings. It will give you a description of the killer, a list of possible suspects, the people he killed, and who ordered the hits. It will give you a blow-by-blow account of the two shootings, the second of which is not known by even the police, and most likely never will."

Johnny walked over and reached for the folder. However, the Chinese man held it above Johnny's head, above where his arms could reach. The informant smiled and said "You asked a question I ask mine. Who are you working for?"

It spilled out before he could keep a lid on it. "Guy named Red. Don't know his second name. I asked who he was. Used to be a big shot politician, but I guess the correct answer would have been to say what instead of who."

The informant nodded. "Good to know, thanks for telling me. Now, I would give you this right now..."

There was sirens in the distance. Johnny knew they were approaching rapidly. He realized he could smell something nasty. Like a dead body.

"But it turns out, a man's dead in this building. This very room, in fact. Murdered, too. And you've got the murder weapon in your hands. You didn't do it, but an anonymous tip-off says a homeless man did so. However, the evidence will be circumstantial at best if you play your cards right, and you won't even be caught if you're half as smart as you've shown yourself to be. Now, outrun the cops. Your reward's the folder." The chinese man dropped his cigarette, and Johnny couldn't see him again.

There was lightening and a dead body at the desk stared right at him, a bullet right through it's forehead. With a terrifed gaze downward, he saw his hand gripping a pistol. Thanking God he was wearing gloves, he dropped the pistol and started looking for exit routes. The door would go right out into the street, too obvious. He ran to the window and looked down. There was a skip full of garbage bags. He smashed the window and jumped out, plunging a story before landing painfully in the skip. The police cruiser zoomed by, skidding to a stop as two cops got out and kicked the door to the office down. He climbed out and looked down both ends. No cops on either side. He made a run for it, but then he heard the two words no fugitive wants to hear.

"Stop! Police!"

A few bullets streaked past him. A cop must have stayed behind to check the alleyway. He didn't stop running, but he turned right into an alleyway. Dead end at a brick wall. He looked at the pipe, thinking of doing some parkour action he saw in a movie once, then dismissed it. Movies aren't reality, it'd take too long to be efficient. He opened a dumpster and hid inside, trying to ignore the bad smell. There was a real good reason homeless people don't sleep inside dumpsters, even ones that weren't picked up by garbage men.

He could hear footsteps running down the way, then taking a left. Same way he went. They got closer and closer, stopping right by the dumpster. He tried not to breath, not to shift, not to do anything that could make a sliver of a noise. The footsteps moved again, towards the dumpster. Why'd he have to end up with the smart cop? He could feel the hands lay on the dumpster to open it, and he took his chances.

He kicked open the dumpster, and the young cop went stumbling back in shock. Johnny leapt from his position, knocking the cop to the ground. He fired his gun in a random direction as he went down, nowhere near Johnny. He smashed to the ground with all of Johnny's weight on him, knocking him out cold. Johnny wasted no chances, pushing himself to his feet and running into the night, alone except for the two people you wouldn't notice if you were there watching him.

The Stranger was very glad it had worn it's hood. It looked at the cop with an uncaring glance, then back at Johnny's fleeing form. It looked back at the Speaker. It did good.

"He's got potential. He can run when he needs to, detect when he needs to, fight when he needs to." said the Speaker with a slight Chinese accent. "Still, I think he knows I'm not what he thinks. You're right. There is something different about him. Those eyes... they see things clearly."

The Stranger shrugged, looking at the Speaker. The Speaker looked basically human, if you wrapped a human in tight black bandages from head to toe, the last bits loosening into a makeshift robe. It looked like a mummy in the early days, before the rot really sets in. It's head wasn't defined, but you could see when it opened and closed it's mouth.

"He'll find the folder by his side when he wakes up in the morning. Might as well extend an olive branch. He won't question it... I think he knows more then we give him credit."

Johnny stumbled into the bar where Blink said they'd meet up when they all had info. They wouldn't be drinking at it, but bars were convenient in that the bartender wouldn't throw them out just for stinking up the place, unlike diners and restaurants. He didn't know if the time was right, but he really didn't care at this point. He was in luck, as Blink and Quinn were waiting for him. He sat down.

"You look like you tried cartwheeling through a minefield. In the rain." said Quinn. "I can't tell if you're sweating or if that's the rain. What happened to you?"

"Long fucking story." He said dismissively. "In short, I got nothing. What have you got?"

[8] "Nothing." Blink laid back and sighed. "Just nothing at all."

[20] "I got something." She spilled a pile of Polaroid photos on the table, and Johnny took a few up and look at them. They were just some nerdy kid stepping into a car and driving up.

"Who's the kid?" asked Johnny, still looking at the kid. He looked awful worried, and was wearing mechanic's overalls.

"That's Elton Peterson, and he's the guy who made the Regulators. A guy at a videostore saw him acting awful crazy, bought a copy of Ghost Town. Said he needed it for science. Said in a mad scientist voice."

"That crazy?" said Johnny. "I watched that film. Ricky Gervais is pretty much the only saving grace."

"I liked it." said Blink, shrugging. "Greg Kinnear's a good actor, Gervais is too much of a jerk to be likable."

"Film discussion aside, I found he was also buying materials that would be perfect for making Regulators. He was in the Rust Streets a few times too, and that's where the Regs are the most common. But get this, shit's getting heavy, so he's gone into hiding. These are photos I got from this Hood who was originally going to give them to his bosses to show where Elton's disappeared.

"So you have a dead end." said Blink.

"You've got fuck-all, Blink. And get this, I think I know where the Regulators are being made. The old Absolon place has a lot of rumors about it. Some say they're making robots in there, some say it's aliens, usual shit. I looked it up on a library computer, it's a legitimate business again but it doesn't say what it's making. I traced the hand-outs of the Regulators from the survivors who bought one, and all the deals are made in and around the Absolon place. It's a front business for making Regulators!"

"That's brilliant, Quinn!" said Johnny. "Shit, that's great, we have the guy who makes them and the place they're made."

"Now can you tell me why the hell we're getting involved in this gangland shit?"

"Need to know, sorry."

"Oh, sorry, I thought I was just a hobo doing some idle detective work. It seems I'm a member of the CIA. Can I get a free car?" Quinn rolled her eyes.

"Sorry, the Hobo Divison doesn't have that in the contract." said Blink deadpanly. "They do, however, feature a government-issue hobo-beating sticks. They're great for making sure no-one gets your fried rat on a stick."

Johnny laughed. Even if everything seemed to be going in a weird direction, at least he had friends to back him up.
Johnny finds a folder of possible shooters, along with information on the new Absolon shooting. It doesn't mention what the factory makes, but it does mention it's the same killer and his bizarre ability to survive. Quinn found the maker of the Regulators, Elton Peterson, has gone into hiding and that the Regulators are being made at Absolon's place.

Nate Richards

The town burned. It was not a wild fire, it was orderly and made to spread to everything it could. It was not a fire that illuminated hidden truths, a fire to warm, to protect. It was a fire to cleanse, to reduce all to ashes. It was not the fire of madness or rage. It was simply a force of nature that would not stop for anything.

In a dream, you're never sure if you're you or someone else. Tom heard himself ask, "Why are they doing this?"

Someone beside him said, "It's their job, and they do it well."

"So many people... I've killed people." said Tom, but not really. It wasn't even in his voice, it was deeper. But he could recognize himself within it. "I've killed people because they dishonored me, because they tried to hurt my family, because I was hungry... But they are different. They burn people alive because they think it's justice. They think they're making everything better. They think this will save us."

"They won't stop. Even you can't make them even pause."

"I know. They're going to kill everyone."

"Not everyone. They'll let some people off. The people who match their ideals. The people who they think are worth saving."

"They're just going to kill every spark of magic there is in this world. They're going to make our world... a husk."

He looked down at the man beside him. Tall. Tall and thin, like a stretched corpse. He said in that voice of his that was vaguely Irish, vaguely British "So, we have a deal. Your wife, your youngest child. They alone will survive. You and the rest of your family shall perish by the Inquisitor's flame. Do we have a deal?"

The man had white hair, and the greenest eyes. His skin was pale and dead, and he moved like a cat but was still for now. His eyes twinkled with an unpleasant sense of mischief. Tom felt himself sigh deeply, and felt his heart snap in two. For the first time in his life, he felt what it was like to have a family... and to know you'd never see them again.

"We have a deal."

With a jerk he woke up from the morbid and depressing dream, which swirled around him vaguely. He couldn't remember the location and the meanings, but he could remember that real sense of loss, which lingered upon him as he looked into his girlfriend's face.

Kari smiled, lighting up her pale features like nothing else. She had long black hair in a ponytail, which made her look a bit like a gothic horror heroine if said gothic horror heroine worked in an office supply company. "You were talking in your sleep, Tom. Try not to do that, it makes me worried."

"Sorry... Christ, what's the time?" said Tom, rubbing his eyes and sitting up.

"Time for work. I gotta go soon, but I just wanted to say goodbye before I left." said Kari.

"Thank you..." Tom smiled. This was really what he needed. He gave her a kiss, and said goodbye. She got up and left, then Tom slowly managed to get up and get dressed. That dream had him knocked for six, and he felt like he had lost something. He had that feeling you got when you realized how fragile you really were, especially your friends. When he was eight, adopted by foster parents for two years after a long time of living at the foster home, he got this sudden fear for his younger foster-sister in the next room. What if she had a heart attack? What if she had already had a heart attack and the next morning Tom would learn she had died in the night? Tom would then listen very, very quietly for her breathing. He didn't have good hearing so he would always panic and open the door to her room. He'd calm down quickly when he heard her breathing, but she always woke up and got annoyed at him. He was a nervous child, and it got him into trouble a few times.

He walked out of the bedroom and into the kitchen. He opened the fridge and watched the amazing display of absolutely nothing. There was a spectacular amount of fuck-all in the fridge, which displayed how much money came into the house. Tom worked as a convenience store clerk, and Kari made a few donations when the time called for it, but college called and student loans weren't going down any time soon. He had two options here: improvise, or make some cereal. The last time he improvised, that led to the creation of the Dorito and Peanut Butter Sandwich. It's exactly as you imagine. It did not taste good. He took out some milk, then went to the cupboards for the cereal and the bowl.

"Yo." said Nate, eating his cereal at the table. Tom jumped. Jesus, Nate was quiet.

"Hey man, uh. What's the time, dude?" Tom said awkwardly and quickly. He wasn't good with chatting with Nate, not recently. To be perfectly honest, he was sort of afraid of him recently. He wouldn't admit this, but the sheer amount of power at his friend's fingertips was both awesome and freaky as all hell. Tom walked over and took the cereal from Nate, then got his own bowl and poured the cereal in, then the milk. He put in a spoon then started eating cereal leisurely.

"Oh, it's..." Nate looked at the clock. "9:47. In the AM."

"Wait, 9:47? I'm meant to be in work by nine, I'm late by forty minutes! Fuck!" Tom tossed the cereal to the counter, then narrowed his eyes when he saw a firefly crawling around the counter. "Nate, I told you..."

"Told me what?" Nate asked.

"I told you, keep your pets away when my girlfriend's over."

"I don't control them all, they're just there." said Nate. "Besides, your girlfriend's gone."

Tom groaned in frustration. On one hand, argument he was ready to get into. On the other hand, massively late. He rushed out the door with barely a goodbye, grabbing his coat on the way out. He bumped into a guy on the way out. The upside of living in a separate apartment from the dorms was that there was way less crazies. The downside was that the crazies tended to be even louder. The good news was that the next door neighbor of Nate and Tom wasn't crazy. He seemed out of it sometimes, but he seemed okay in general. Tom didn't mind chatting to him occasionally, a habit still there from living in a small town where you actually talked to your neighbors.

"Oh, sorry." said Tom. "Kinda in a rush, heh."

"No bother." Red smiled. Tom always thought his neighbor latched onto his namesake a little eagerly, though he had to admit that red suit did work out perfectly for him. "I won't keep you waiting."

"Hey, were you at a party or something?" said Tom, looking at his suit. "Your suit looks a little worn in."

"I was at the opera. Spent all night up having a long chat with a lady of some interest to me." Red smiled. "Only coming back now, it seems."

"Hohoho, nothing better then a night with a girl you like." Tom waggled his eyebrows in the way guys with new girlfriends liked. Good for Red, he thought; the guy looked like he needed a girl, cooped up in his apartment, only going out to have a walk or buy a newspaper. "Listen man, I'd like to stay and chat, but I gotta rush. Catch you later!"

Tom ran off, down the stairwell, out the apartment. Red chuckled and took out his key, putting it into the door and walking in. Two little eyes watched him from a hole in the wall. The salamander flicked it's tongue, then moved along the walls to Red's apartment. There was something about the man that the salamander found interesting. It was time to find out what...
The salamander is doing some silent surveillance on Nate and Tom's new next door neighbor Red, while there is a spark of tension between Nate and Tom.

Jacqueline 'Jack' Coupe

Why did Ryan V. Duffey always get into these sort of situations?

Okay, being trapped in a glass jar by some chick after apparently dying did not usually happen to the son of the Irish mob boss. In fact, Duffey had a generally easy life before this. He hadn't been as anything as bad as this was. Still, he was knowledgeable enough to know that he was in one hell of a pickle. In fact, he was in a pickle jar.

The girl was real pretty, but Duffey was pretty sure she was the cause of this. No-one would try gloating over him this much if they were totally unrelated to the situation. He wasn't exactly sure how he got into a pickle jar in the first place, or what was prior to this strange and glassy environment he found himself in. He didn't seem to have a body anymore, as such. He just seemed to exist. Perhaps he was a gas of some sort? Duffey began to wish he paid attention in science class. That would have seriously come in handy here. What was the material states? There's liquid, gas, and... Paper?

Ignoring the pointless thoughts, he wondered if he'd ever get out of here. Maybe they'd let him out eventually, like butterfly collectors? Wait, butterfly collectors pin butterflies to pinboards when they're done with them. If there was a worse situation then being in a jar, it was being pinned to a pinboard for eternity. There'd be almost certainly more gloating in that situation, and the pin would hurt. Duffey decided he'd have to get out of here using his own wits. That's when he realized he was doomed.

Outside the jar, someone stumbled in. Covered in some sort of an ashy... trenchcoat? Fedora? Oh God, was this the same guy as the one at the shootout? The chick and the thug started talking, the chick stripping his burnt clothes like an angry mother. The thug apparently had gotten himself blown up, somehow surviving despite being blown clear across town. The chick was merely annoyed that his trenchcoat got burned. Duffey made a deduction. Aha, he thought, she's obviously his fashion designer.

Confident he made the right connection, he watched as the thug went to sleep on the couch. Weirdly, he wasn't burnt at all. Unless he had stopped off at a plastic surgeons, he should have been more cooked then Thomas Azur's accounting books. Something weird was going on. Duffey watched as everyone set off for bed and the lights switched off, leaving the twinkling lights of the city. He wasn't sure if he could sleep. This had been the first notable thing that had happened recently: everything else was hazy and weirdly distant. He lost track of time easily in the jar.

Maybe he had been in here for years. It was possible. How do you keep track of time? There wasn't a nearby calendar, and the girl was rather lackadaisical with the scheduling of her gloating, so that wasn't an effective time keeping device either. How long until everyone forgot about him? How long until his captors died, and the jar gets sold to a middle class family in the burbs and he's put in an attic forever, trapped between a 1920s porno mag and a mediocre painting of a cow? Could he stare at corseted babes and crappy watercolor bovines for eternity?

The answer was a definite no. Escape was his only option.

He tried everything. He couldn't slip out the lid, as it was screwed on too tight. There were no cracks, no imperfections. It was too well made. He looked down at the jar, and saw it was on a shelf. A shelf a long way up. He had run out of options. He had only one. Duffey brought up all his strength, and slammed against the jar's glass walls. There was an almighty "plink", and the jar moved an inch to the edge.

The thug shifted in his sleep. He heard the plink, but it didn't wake him up. Duffey couldn't keep plinking away, though. The thug would wake up eventually, and he'd have a problem then. He couldn't reduce the name without reducing his speed to a crawl. He drew it all up, and shoved against the jar once more. A few more inches, but a louder "clink".

Duffey promised he would get so plastered when he get out of here that everyone would ultimately agree that his drunken bender would be the golden standard for any night out. He drew himself back, and gave one almighty push... "CA CLINK".

The thug got up as the jar tottered on the edge. Duffey could hear him mutter "Oh, shit..." and with that he began to move towards the jar. The jar was so close to breaking, to freedom, that Duffey would have cried if the thug managed to get ahold of him. The thug thundered closer, but one step was too much of a big step... The jar fell off.

Yes! He had done it. it was over now, he would go home and it would be all okay.

Well, it would have been if the thug hadn't caught him in his hands. The thug looked proud and held up the jar to his ugly mug, and Duffey squirmed away from him.

"Haha... Got you." He said, smiling.

The jar tipped forward, and was dropped unceremoniously. Barely heard above the clatter of breaking glass was the word "shit" from the thug. Duffey felt himself spread, but kept together enough to go out an air vent and up up up, into the city and into freedom...

The guy was an obvious drug dealer, but he was the only customer who actually seemed interested in what exactly the shop had to offer, and the only one who didn't laugh out loud when Matthew carefully explained the properties of the items. He wore black reflective aviators, wore a hoodie that hid his face carefully, and a bandana completed the picture.

"So, this is a soul catcher." Matt said, and held up the contraption of glass and brass. "Got a ghost that's bothering you? This'll sort it out. It's a bargain at 9.99 dollars. Remember, always use cash here."

"Cool." said the dealer. He was pretty quiet, just letting Matt do his pitch before asking questions. "Listen, you wouldn't have anything that can be ingested, like food or... maybe drugs?"

"Er, no, we don't go in for that. That's shamans you're looking for." said Matt, nodding. Yeah, drug dealer.

"Well, thanks for the pitches kid, but I'm afraid I'll have to pass on this. I got a deal with a customer in a few minutes, so I'll see you around at some point." The dealer adjusted his glasses, but something happened. A barely visible haze filtered in through the open door. There was a loud pinging sound, and the spirit catcher began to make an almost breath-like mechanical noise. The haze disappeared, and a white ethereal glow appeared within it.

Matt looked at the dealer, then at the spirit catcher, then at the door. Then, he looked at the door further into the mansion.

"Mer-liiiiiin! Need some help here!" yelled Matt, while the dealer slowly made his way out.
Duffey has managed to make his escape, and fallen into Merlin and Matt's hands.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2013, 04:50:22 am »

Jack's smile was affectionate, but her tone was firm. 'Magnus, I appreciate the concern, I really do,' she said. 'But you're not coming anywhere in this state.'

The big thug for hire groaned on the sofa. 'I'm not gonna let you walk there alone. This whole thing smells rotten,' Magnus said. 'Besides, I feel fine.'

Which was quite a feat. His clothes had been burnt and blown to hell, and sure, it'd hurt like a bitch at the time, but his body showed no signs of being pummeled by a ton of explosives. He wondered idly about the cop. You didn't see that kind of determination in this town often, mostly because the guys who had it got killed a few days into the job. Like this one now, most likely.

'So you think I won't last a second without you standing guard? In the big, cruel world outside?' Jack asked, pouting her lips.

'I think a bullet to the brain would kill you just as much as anyone else,' Magnus said.

'I'm not exactly helpless, Magnus.'

'You cut yourself and bled all over the kitchen while making breakfast. I don't want to see what happens when someone actually tries to hurt you.'

Jack sighed at that. They shared mutual irritation over the bond. 'You're staying here, Magnus. He knows about the shootout already and I don't want him to meet you on top of that. Besides, he's got two tickets to the opera, so you're not invited.'

'You seriously think he'll-'

'And on top of that, you still smell of explosives. No, you're gonna rest here - and you know I'll know if you don't - while I meet our mystery blackmailer. Atleast he seems the polite sort. Now, if there wasn't anything else?'

Magnus gave in. He was feeling a bit tired, though he'd never have admitted it. The rest of the day passed in a blur, and Magnus barely noticed Jack leaving.

---

Jack arrived at Yeoman's Street 67 fashionable, and fashionably late. She'd dressed to impress once more and was bound to turn heads - an opera warranted a bit more class than usual. Jack strode at ease towards the address given, masking the disappointment and irritation he felt towards this mystery man. She'd almost liked Johnny, but it was clear he'd been just a pawn for whoever this was. More than that, the man's arrogance and almost theatrical air in the message had not improved her opinion of him. Add to that Magnus' spectacularly and dangerously failed job, she was certainly not in a good mood. His description of the place he'd shot up sounded interesting, atleast, though Jack doubted she could get through the police that had to be swarming there by now.

Jack hoped she'd find this man waiting, after his insistence on the exact time Jack had gleefully ignored. It was the least he could do.

---
Weeks/days in the past, but not too many: Jack heads to meet Red at the address provided.

((Time shenanigans abound, but presumably this was after Magnus' latest hit. Time is, like, fluid, y'know?))
« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 05:45:35 am by Digital Hellhound »
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Caesar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2013, 03:47:26 am »

Red looked at the collection of newspapers gathered on his table. Yeoman's street 68, straight across the apartment he had rented for his meeting with Jack, looked a little too tidy. In fact- Everywhere he looked it seemed like a whirlwind of eager old cleaning ladies had blasted through, leaving not a single thing speck. It was an old habit, dating back to when he addressed the crowds, promising them an ethically sound - and practically valid - method to rid the city of crime and turn it into a place people would proudly want to call home. It had been an ideal he believed in, to clean up the city. And to clear his nerves - even he felt nervous when he had to speak in front of this many people - he had always cleaned up his home, himself, and spent an hour just on ironing and perfecting his apparel. He also tended to visit the toilet just before he went, to be sure. It gave him a feeling of preparedness.

Red looked at his watch - 17:21, twenty minutes late already. Were it not for the fact that he had actually hoped that Jack would show up late, his almost insane insistence on punctuality would have driven him mad. Her lateness, however, had given him time to think. He knew that he had come across as a little crazy or arrogant, perhaps, and that it might have convinced her that he was not worth a chat. On the other hand, this arrogance had hopefully sparked her curiosity. Somewhere, he felt like he was in a story of sorts. What kind of story it was, he wasn't sure, but his role was clear. He discovered a slight crease in his clothing - which was even classier than usual - and straightened it. Tonight, his clothing was a deep dark red, like coagulated blood. He made a mental note to pay Johnny a visit later, then another mental note that this had nothing to do with the red substance with which he had just compared his clothing. He found himself wondering what, exactly, he wanted to discuss with the Queen of Hearts, but meeting her was a good start. The rest he would make up on the fly.

When he saw Jack - or at least who he assumed to be Jack - approaching in the distance he straightened his back and folded his gloved hands behind him, examining some graffiti on the wall as if it had actually caught his interest (which it had not; The artist obviously lacked a good taste for colors). He stood out - he always stood out - and so he felt no doubt that she would know who to approach.

A little earlier in time, Red finds himself staring idly at mostly green graffiti in wait of Jack's arrival.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2013, 03:49:38 am by Caesar »
Spider Overhaul
Adding realistic spiders to Dwarf Fortress. (Discontinued.)

Godhood VIII
The latest installment in the Godhood roleplaying game series.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2013, 01:13:17 pm »

'I never thought you to be a graffiti artist, of all things,' Jack said as he stopped up to the man. Why on earth he'd chosen this place to meet boggled the mind. 'I believe you mentioned something about opera tickets, Mr...?'

The man's face looked familiar. Some celebrity or politician? Certainly not anyone she knew.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Caesar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2013, 03:36:53 pm »

"Call me Red." He turned to face her, taking a short moment to examine her face in detail, then nodded lightly. She looked somewhat like he had expected and - gladly - had an excellent taste when it come to clothing. "Yes, I did. And the graffiti is not of my hand. To be sincere; I would not be able to produce a thing like it. Even if I do find it a distasteful work, it takes an actual artist, and I am not. I prefer ink over paint."

"All matters of visual art aside, I feel the need to apologize for my rather vague phone-call, and I would like to thank you for coming." The suited man offered her a hand, an inviting gesture. "The opera is just around the block. I think that we have a lot to discuss this evening, but let us first see about getting there." Red had left the contact lenses he sometimes wore home, and his eyes, just like really anything about him, waited for a reaction.
Spider Overhaul

Godhood VIII

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 12, 2013, 02:39:07 pm »

Jack smiled her predatory smile. 'Ah, but you caught me in a good mood. How could I refuse?' she said. 'Though, admittedly, I was disappointed that you chose to act through intermediaries. I admire the deception - this... Johnny seemed, ah, genuine, I suppose. I hope you understand that I must bar you and your associates from the Game until further notice.'

She kept a smile on her face as they walked. 'So... what do you want from me, Mr. Red?'

Caesar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 13, 2013, 02:07:05 pm »

"May we hope that your good mood lasts." Red had folded his arms together behind his back, taking his unanswered handshake as an attempt to insult him. If she had indeed attempted to insult him, it was in vain. He examined her quietly for another few moments. The way she smiled only seemed to ascertain his suspicions that there was an animal of the hunt to his side, not merely the woman that met the eye. "Johnny acts by his own. Yes, I give him some instructions, but I had little to do with his participation in your game." Red, for a moment, answered her smile with a grin of his own. "I do, however, understand that we are not to participate again."

"Now, as to what I want from you-" Red stopped in front of a traffic-light, and as people gathered around them, he kept silent. This silence from his person lasted exactly as long as the red light, and when the crowd crossed the road, he continued as if he had never stopped speaking. "I believe that you and I are very much the same. Let me say that, for lack of a better word, we are like gods - or a goddess in your case - among men." Red momentarily looked around him, then took a left turn. He suddenly switched to another subject. "Ah, the shooting in the ruined amusement park. Such a wonderful work. To be honest, I wish I would have been there to personally witness the scum of the Earth color the ground red with their blood. It must have been a beautiful sight. Aside from my opinion about the event itself- It takes more than a mere man to do such a thing. One man can't shoot that many gangsters and escape without leaving so much as a drop of blood. At first I really thought that your man was responsible for his almost
godlike endurance himself, but as I learned about the woman behind him, I concluded that I had been wrong." Red stopped in line for the theater, producing his tickets from his pocket, absentmindedly bending them between his fingers. If she had showed up on time, they would not have had to wait in line; but that thought remained unspoken.

"For now, let me sum things up by saying that I have reason to believe that we are not the only ones of our kind, and that at least some of our 'brothers and sisters' lack the cranial capacity and subtlety that we possess." Red didn't quite look like had had said everything there was to say, but as they slowly progressed in line he waited, giving Jack a chance to speak.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 02:19:18 pm by Caesar »
Spider Overhaul

Godhood VIII

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 15, 2013, 09:43:49 am »

'You assume much, Mr. Red,' Jack said, cautious. 'I do not make it my business to involve myself with the gangs of this city. I ordered no attack on this amusement park. That said, I do not grieve their passing. These are dangerous times.'

Which was true, in a fashion. From what she'd gathered, the Cartel had hired Magnus for the job. Of course, she had shared the profits. She paused, smiling at the youth behind the ticket booth as they reached the end of the line.

'Of course there are others - your invitation only confirmed that. I would suggest you speak with Johnny about the winner of my little game,' she said after they were inside. 'I find myself asking again, if you forgive my directness - what do you want from me? Aside from lovely company to a night at the opera, of course.'

Caesar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 15, 2013, 11:41:28 am »

Red nodded lightly as he guided them to their seats through the crowd that had gathered. He had been to this particular opera before, and knew the way quite well. With an polite gesture he invited her to sit; "Ladies first", then sat down beside her. His eyes went over the stage. From what he had gathered, the event would start in several more minutes. He handed her a set of Galilean binoculars, and momentarily considered the 'winner' of Jack's game, the man behind the gas mask. He quickly dismissed her suggestion, taking the man to be an oddity who simply sought to hide his identity. He had better things to discuss with Johnny later.

"I would indeed be a horrible liar if I were to say that you were anything less than lovely company, but as you rightly point out, I should cut to the main point behind our splendid time together." Red spent a moment considering the people around them. Most of them looked like the spoiled upper class of the city - much like Jack, now that he thought of it - and they were mostly occupied discussing the play. Content with how distracted they were, he leaned a little closer, his voice just above a whisper. "I know that, despite the power at my figurative and literal fingertips, I can bleed. To extrapolate this fact, I am also quite certain that I can die, which is a hypothesis I do not want to put to the test. I would bet in one of your games that the same goes for you."

Red leaned back in his chair a little. "Now, I know that we are both intelligent people, and that we stick to the shadows to avoid getting hurt. We act with great strength, but we act wisely." Red's eyes rested on his gloved fingers, which he had crossed in his lap. After giving himself a moment to consider how to continue, he turned his eyes back to her.  "If someone, let's say the chief of police or one of those mobsters, were to learn about our existence, that someone would hunt us down. The people who are currently in power in this city would view us as a threat. And even if they would not manage to kill us, they would harm our operations. Even if we would defeat their goons, they have comparably nearly endless resources at their disposal. And the word would spread, making it incredibly difficult for us to act any further without making more enemies. They would rally any and all xenophobes behind them to hunt us down."

Red took another pause, allowing his words to make impact - if anything would really manage to make an impact on this lady. "I dare say with certainty that the 'orgone regulators', as they are called, were made by someone much like ourselves. Someone who does not realize the importance of subtlety. Currently, I care little for what you do in the city, and I believe that so do you about the things I do. Thus we cross each other's paths not in conflict, but with a mutual goal: To be able to do what we are doing without disruption. The creator of the orgone regulators, on the other hand, harms our interests. He is the disruption. I know that the 'Hoods' are already hunting for him. What if they or someone else were to find him? "

The lights went out, except for the ones which shone on the curtains. "We both know that the results would be unpleasant. If they were to find him, they would suspect that he is not the only one of his kind. Thus, I propose that we seek him out, help him disappear. Convince him of our point of view. And if necessary.."

The curtains opened for the first act. On the stage a man died in the arms of his lover, heralding the war that the play portrayed. ".. we help him disappear permanently."
Spider Overhaul

Godhood VIII

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 20, 2013, 08:54:39 am »

'I have my games and my circles, that is true. I could not even begin to guess what it is you do, Mr. Red,' Jacqueline said, 'which, I think, places me at a disadvantage. You obviously make it your business to know what others do in this city. Involve yourself in the matters of others. It sounds a tiresome way to spend one's life, but perhaps the times make it necessary.'

The play was advancing through its rather convoluted second act. Groups of colorfully-dressed actors rolled back and forth the stage like crashing waves, representing some great battle or other. The old king stood over the scene on a spotlit platform dressed in all greens, confident in his victory over the young challenger. It was no Shakespeare, but she was finding it tolerably entertaining. She'd make a show of liking it later, though it was a bit too pompous and old-fashioned for her tastes. But that described this whole evening well.

'Well,' she said in a lull in the play, 'I'll see this mystery someone with you. If I decide your concerns are not unfounded, we can continue our cooperation in the future.'

Caesar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 21, 2013, 12:58:20 am »

Red watched as actor after actor dropped to the ground, dying of mortal wounds. The actors played well, but his imagination gave real light to the events. In his mind blood covered the stage, and the fallen warriors littered the ground before the king, who had been driven to madness and indiscriminate persecution of his followers after his oldest son died. The challenger, his youngest son, sought to overthrow him. As the battle raged on so did the clear struggle within the kind's mind. The scene ended with the king and his son standing amidst the carnage their war had brought over the land, both mortally wounded by each other's hand.

They sank to their knees, and the curtains went down. The audience waited impatiently for the final act, but Red took the moment to address Jacqueline. "I believe that power lies in knowledge, allies lie in common interest." Red handed her a small business card, which contained naught but his name and a phone-number. During the break in the play he told her what he had learned about the orgonic regulators, and where he suspected that they would find their quarry - in one of the old factories in the rusts.

The play ended with the king and his son surveying the bloodied fields, then each other. They fell to their knees, crawled closer to each other and, together, waited for death to part them. For the young man, death came, but the old king was spared. Left broken, and alone to rule a kingdom without an heir, the last act showed the king on his throne, surveying the audience. All madness, bitterness, were gone from his features, instead replaced by a great sadness. Red thought that the king had played his role extremely well.

The king got up, rested his hands on the two coffins next to his throne, and addressed the audience. "My people- War is but a game, flowing from the uncertain hearts of our greatest and mightiest. As your king, my duty is with you, and I have failed it." The actor now focused his eyes on Jacqueline. "Some people are a threat to our common existence.." He looked over the audience again, as if the contact had never happened. ".. and so, my last act as your king, is to order my own execution."

The curtains went down, and the audience applauded. Red took the moment to simply nod Jack goodbye, thanking her for the wonderful evening before leaving the theater. He had overstayed his welcome, and he had matters to attend to.

Red closes his meeting with Jacqueline, leaving her a number on which she can contact him as well as every detail he knows about Elton, the creator of the orgonic regulators.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 01:12:23 pm by Caesar »
Spider Overhaul

Godhood VIII

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 02, 2013, 06:05:34 pm »

Merlin examined the soul in the jar in front of him. It was rather standard as souls went - in the jar it had assumed the form of a drifting greyish cloud of smoke like material. Rather duller than most of their ilk, which usually had some sort of color in them. Lack of any distinguishing colors or marks usually indicated either a lack of imagination on the soul's part or lack of memory. He set the jar down on the desk he was sitting in front of and stroked his beard in contemplation. Matthew had brought the amateur ghost catcher he'd made a few days ago to him, filled with the soul. He'd been rather surprised, to say the least. But where had the soul come from? Who was it? These questions he wanted to know the answers to, but the only way to get to them was either via communicating with the soul - an option he'd tried, to no success - or by inserting one's mind into the soul and riffling around in its memories, which was both rather unethical and dangerous. 'But,' Merlin thought, 'on the other hand, keeping it in this jar is  just as terrible an act. If I can free it by doing this, it's worth it.'
His decision made, Merlin stood up and picked up the jar as he moved towards the door of his study. He scratched his ass as he moved - Matthew had convinced him to get more modern clothes than his robes for purposes of blending in, and after a little looking around a catalogue, he'd whipped up a few pairs of cargo pants absolutely festooned with pockets, several khaki shirts, some leather shoes, and (he'd gone out and bought these) an absolutely marvelous pair of fuzzy slippers adorned with decorations that made them look like goldfish that he now wore everywhere inside the house - and the unaccustomed tightness of pants was itchy. Opening the door, he scurried downstairs and toward the door that led to the shop. He looked in and saw Matthew shuffling around the store, placing some items on the shelves. He walked in and knocked on the counter to get Matthew's attention. I'll be doing an investigation into that soul you brought me. Shouldn't take more than an hour or so, but feel free to close up. It's getting late.
Matthew nodded and said All right, as Merlin bustled out of the store and toward the lab he'd installed in the other end of the house. It wasn't much as of yet, just a room with several beakers, other glasses, and metal apparatuses resembling clamps. He put the jar containing the soul on a desk in the corner of the room and attached a clamp to it, then sat down in a chair next to it and placed a metal circlet with wires connected to it on his head, and attached the circlet's trailing wires to the clamp on the jar.
It must be explained at this juncture that magic was an inexact science by nature, having more to do with symbolism than with facts. Often the intent of the caster is far more important than whatever gestures they perform or incantations they mutter; the will of the caster makes the ritual important. This is the reason Merlin connected himself and the soul using wires; they gave him something tangible to focus and grab onto if anything went awry.
The connection formed, Merlin closed his eyes, focused, and took hold of his mind. He forced it down the wires as though he were going down a drain.
       down down down down down
                down down down
                         down
                           do
                           w
                            n

Coming back to awareness, he cast his gaze about. His surroundings were not what they were before, instead being a rather indistinct grey background of sorts. Being rather familiar with this sort of thing, he manifested himself a body and stepped into it. He shivered a bit. This place - this mind - was chilly. For Merlin had forced his mind out of his body, down the wires, and into the soul in the jar. Now then, he thought, let us find what I'm looking for. He gazed off into the distance, attempting to orient himself in which part of the mind he was in.
...childhood...
...secret wishes...
...aspirations...
...self profile, that was it. He stretched out a hand into a bank of fog ahead of him and grasped what his hand found there. He pulled out a long row of filing cabinets. Sighing and not desiring to waste time rifling through all of the papers, he flicked his wrist and sent all the papers within whirling about him. Those with the information he wanted landed in his outstretched hand. He shuffled through them, frowning slightly as he overlooked the information.
Ryan Duffey ... son of an Irish mob dealer ... rather cocky ... participated in many drug deals ... repeated murdererer ... and then got his soul sucked out over a period of months by a lady in red.

Shuffling through the rest of the sheaf of papers, Merlin didn't find much else of importance - they were things Duffey had done, people he had been, women he had wooed (dissapointingly few) whores he had bought (concerningly large), the effects on the world that had made Duffey Duffey.
Havinf found what he needed, he relaxed his mind and felt himself being pulled backward, felt weight imposing itself upon him again - and with a whump that coincided with a beat of his heart, he was back in his own body. Th first thing he noted was that he didn't feel as stiff as he usually did after these things, which was a good thing. Checking his watch (the cheap kind bought in a dollar store; Merlin still knew how to navigate by the sun and stars, he didn't usually need them) he found that only one hour and six minutes had passed since his entrance into Duffey's mind. Speaking of which, he thought as he disengaged himself from the wiring and picked up the jar, what to do with him?
He could kill him right here, but Merlin made a point not to kill anyone who hadn't the same intention.
He could make him a body, let him go again ... but he'd been 'dead' for several months now, and Duffey was not the type of person he wanted to let run free.
He could perhaps recruit him as a servant, but again his personality got in the way of that.
But what if his personality were no longer a factor?, thought he. And so Duffey's fate was decided.

Matthew walked into the shop a few days later, looking for Merlin. Seeing the wizard's pointy hat (that he'd refused to replace with something more pedestrian) bobbing up and down behind the counter, he walked over to see what he was doing, and paused when he saw.
Merlin was on his hands and knees, busily scribbling away at an array of chalk sigils covering the majority of the floor. Looking up and seeing him, Merlin exclaimed, "Ah, Matthew! It's good you arrived; I need to get the walls and ceiling done today and I need you to finish the floor. Think you can handle it?"
Matthew scratchd the back of his head and put a confused expression on his face as he said, "Er, what exactly are ya doing?"
Merlin grinned at this question. "It's quite simple really. These symbols right here on the anterior portion of the inital arc are those of purging, purging of a specific kind that I don't think I've taught you about yet. Those particularly jagged ones next to them are ones of, of amplification, of spreading, boosting if you will. The ones opposite the circle, if you'll look, are hooks, designed to weigh the essence of the work down in that spot by accumulating magical energy and condensing it on that particular point. There's a lot more, with the arrangement of the intersecion of the loops and the spacing of the rings and whatnot, but the Auto will take care of that for you. Think you can do it?"
"Doesn't seem too hard. Mind if I have that chalk?"
"Certainly."
And with that short pattering of words that may have seemed short and crude to some but were laced with subtext for the two of them, Matthew began. Crouching down where Merlin, now clambering all over the counter, had been, he extended his awareness into the Auto and began incribing the pattern.
The Auto was the name of a magical technique Merlin had developed in order to help Matthew with learning the insane variety of runes he utilized. It was essentially a fractal stencil of sorts; Merlin would cast the spell and imprint the shape of the rune that needed to be traced into it, and lt it run. The next person who began drawing there would have their arm drawn into the pattern and begin tracing it for as long as the spell was put to run for. Various other settings could be altered with mastery of it, including whether one wanted the pattern to be replicated in more than one spot, how many times this replication was to take place, and so on.
Matthew liked to listen to music while he was Autoing. In this case, he'd turned on a rickety old CD player he'd found in a back room and put in the Crashers' fourth album. Nice stuff, really - the lead guitarist really knew how to shred those solos. He began bobbing his head lightly as the Auto took him.
Na na na na na na
One two one two
blah blah blah sheep pig hill
Da da da da da da
Deer neeeer neeer Imma swallow pigeon fear
Y'know, I never really could understand what the hell Whiz Crankcorn was saying, even during that one speech he gave.

Matthew came out of his semi trance on the subject of music and if it could be applied to magic and just what the hell type of weed was Gandalf smoking anyway several hours later to behold the entire shop covered with iteration after iteration of the pattern he'd been tracing. Standing up, noting the sore pain in his knees, Matthew idly stretched as he looked around for Merlin. 'Where was he? Last I remember was him saying he was going to do the roof, which he apparently did. So where's he now?'
His musings were interupted by the man himself, scurrying into the shop in full wizard attire, carrying a jar with ... was that the soul that he'd caught in the soul projector a few weeks ago? Deciding to find out, he strode toward him, saying, "Hey Merl. Whatcha doing with that soul thing? I thought you said you were going to let it go."
Merlin paused slightly, a miracle in itself, before replying, saying, 'I've looked into it - turns out the person this soul was doesn't exactly have a body to go to anymore, even if I did release it. Additionally, it was a ... rather unpleasant person in life, who I'd not like to see become a poltergiest or some such. That's why I've decided to employ him, so to speak. Would you mind moving off the runes? This room is about to become hazardous to be in.
Matthew quickly scurried off the markings and out of the shop while Merlin went into a circle that seemed desined for him to be there, as it was larger than most of the ones in the shop. He placed the jar in a circle directly outside the one he was in and unscrewed the lid, though strangely enough the soul didn't immediately fly to freedom. Merlin, taking his staff in hand from where it leaned on the counter, carefully placed it in the open jar, setting it down on the bottom of the glass with a thunk. Matthew was then grateful that he'd pulled down the blinds because Merlin's staff suddenly lit up with a rather eerie green glow. This seemed to excite the spirit, for it immdiately began expanding somehow, began coursing up the staff and undulating around it. Matthew could see the bottom of the staff glowing brighter and brighter, until it melted through the bottom of the jar and touched the floor. Immediately the soul was forcibly pulled down the staff somehow and into the floor. The circle around where this had taken place turned a dark purple. Withdrawing his staff from the jar, Merlin tapped the circle on the four points where it intersected with other circles, and the purple began to spread, growing fainter and lighter in color the further away from the circle it got. However, whenever it impacted a jagged rune of amplification, it deepened in color once again and began spreading with more fervor.
That must be the soul, Matthew thought as he watched the process. He's bound it into the markings and is forcing it to spread throughout them, but it can't - not the whole way. So the amplifying runes are boosting it somehow, so it can reach all of them.
He proved correct in this, and soon all the markings in the store, even the ones on the ceiling, were dark purplish. Merlin, seeing this, dipped a finger into one of his many pockets and pulled it out shining ... silver? 'Er, do I want to know what that stuff is, Merlin?'
'I can explain it later - has to do with charges - but for now just watch what it does.' He bent down and touched the mercurial finger to a ring, and the effect seemed to drain out of it and into the markings, quickly flowing to all the circles, leaving them somehow distressingly ... white. Blank, even. Seeing this, Merlin nodded in approval and lifted his staff, the tip of which began to glow a dull black color, which Matthew wasn't exactly going to question. Touching it once again to the circle, he waited until all of them were fully black before pumping charges of greenish magic into them - one, two, three - and with each charge, a black mist seemed to ooze out of the carvings until the entire shop was clouded with an impenetrable black fog. It wasn't long before this strange substance began churning and thrashing, as well as emitting an eerie howl that sent shivers up Matthew's spine and frankly made him glad he wasn't the one in there. He could hear Merlin doing something in there - something was being bellowed, and brief pulses of white light could be glimpsed from inside the howling tornado of darkness. These increased in frequency until one final pulse came out, and the mist rapidly began to retreat into the walls. When it was back in, Matthew noted that there were no markings left.
'What just happened, Merlin?'
'I ... let's call it installed a security system. I've set it to recognize me and you, so it won't harm us, but speak a code word - he suddenly barked out something that sounded like sesh and immediately a series of dark tendrils seemingly made out of thick clumpy mist poured out of the walls and began moving about as if searching for something.
'The code word spoken, and the security system activates and throws anyone not us in the store outside - and I've recently installed a charm that erases their memories of their time in the store should they exit when the security system is active. Then, when the assailant is dealt with, speak the deactivation word - he barked out bek, and the tendrils immedately sank into the walls without a trace - and it retreats until you need it again.'
'But what if there's only one person in the store who's trying to rob the place or whatever and two people who're just looking? Kicking out all your customers is bad for business.'
'Never fear, I've thought of that as well. The process I just showed you was more or less automatic - speak the word, robbers thrown out, deactivate, done. But if you need to target someone specifically, all you need to do is fix an image of them in your mind after you've spoken the initial word, and utter the word 'fash'. Then they'll be thrown out but no one else. If you can manage to fix an image of multiple people in your head, they'll be targeted. Essentially, switching to automatic. Later I'll teach you how to control it more precisely, so you can hold someone or something in the air at your desire, adjust the lighting to make it more sinister if necessary, etcetera. For now, though, we should go. Tis dinner time and making that thing gave me an appetite. Come on!
And with that, the old man strode out into the mansion, and Matthew followed, privately relieved that he wouldn't have to try to Force Lightning anybody who was dumb enough to rob a magic shop.
Full Act: Merlin creates a security system in the shop, using Duffey's soul as the framework for it. It manifests as a thick black fog in the store that can be summoned or desummoned, normally appearing in the form of tendrils extending from the walls that throw anybody not Matthew or Merlin out the door, the frame of which is equipped with a charm that erases the memory of the offender's time in the store. It can be targeted at specific individuals by placing a mental picture of the person in one'm mind, then speaking the code word 'fash', which will cause the targeted person to be evicted. This effect can be applied to groups of people. The soul used to power this has been wiped of any memories or past experiences, effectively killing Duffey but leaving his soul as a blank template to act as a power source. This system can only be activated by Matthew and Merlin.

Apricots. An endless field of apricots, sweetly sour and smooth and covered in honey and chocolate extended outward to the horizon. Laughing with joy, he took a leap into the air, twirling, came down among them. He reached out with trembling digits, themselves the prepice he sought to throw himself over, stopped only by his ingrained decency and common sense; fruit didn’t work that way, even in dreams. Ephemeral fuzziness tickled his lips as he grazed them across the cold surface of the apricot. Finally, after an eternity contemplating perfection, he started the most holy of processes. Muscles in his jaw flexed, brought the catalyst of his teeth together to target the most holy of catalysts, he could almost taste the anticipation-

The door suddenly gave out a resounding thud and Matt woke up slumped over the desk in a puddle of drool. Still half asleep, he lurched off the desk, nearly falling over as he did, and stumbled over to the door, absentmindedly wiping the beard of drool that had formed off of his face.
Opening the door, he glanced up – nobody looked up nowadays – left, right, nothing. Down, however, was a rather large duffel bag on a little trolley thing. Looking a bit farther on, he could see many others piled up in a little heap against the corner of a building. There was a gold envelope with purple embroidery stitched around the edges – fancy – with two lines of text on it. Looking at it, it read thusly:

M
Not you, Peaches

Huh, he thought. Someone important, then.
‘Hey, Merlin!’ he yelled towards the back of the store.
‘What is it?’
‘Were you expecting a package today?’

A pause.

‘I’ll handle it, lad! Er, could you organize these vials on my desk in the lab?’ he asked, bustling in. ‘Wouldn’t do to have them be destabilized now.’
Matthew shrugged.
‘Okay.’

As his apprentice moved off, Merlin quietly sighed in relief and magicked up some colorful substances for the boy to sort with a  flick of his wrist. He then went to examine the mentioned packages.

In a short while, Merlin stood among a pile of bags, reading the letter that he’d received. He frowned as he read the text, which was a brilliant green, an irritating color to read text in. He muttered under his breath as he read the list of what exactly he’d received here, his face brightening on a few items. When he was finished reading the letter, which wasn’t all that long, he looked over his new items. If his contact was correct – and he knew he was – these items were of great value to his work. However, as with most things, checking for hidden catches was always a good idea.
‘Matthew! Come down here. Need your help with something.’

Null Merlin/Full Matthew Act: The supplies are investigated for any suspicious properties (beyond what they naturally possess) or evidence of modification by the giving party. If they are found to be tampered with, they are discreetly stored in a cabinet in the shop. If not, they are used to create artifacts, more potant than the spoon ones, though nothing really powerful.

Merlin flipped through yet another page of the catalogue and sighed. Would this never end?
Why sell machines to cut your grass?
Well that sounds useless.
Oh lord no.
Er. I think I'd rather not get that thing.

He continued muttering in a fashion like this as he looked through the book, which if one would look on the front was a birthday catalogue.
Merlin had been pleased with the progress of Matthew in recent weeks, and knowing that his birthday was coming up, had decided to abide by this strange tradition and get him a gift. But what gift was the unanswerable question.
A toy truck?
A toy truck animated by magic?
A cat - no, that wouldn't do.
What the hell do I get him? There's nothing appropriate for the apprentice of a wizard that he'd actually be impressed by, except maybe my staff. But of course I can't give him mine -
Merlin froze in his realization.
Of course! A staff of his own!
It should work. I just need to get an appropriate branch...

Null Act: Merlin begins planning for Matthew's birthday, and begins searching for a suitable branch to make him a staff from.
He doesn't alert Matthew to this due to surprise party rules.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2013, 08:40:18 pm by Xantalos »
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 06, 2013, 03:09:32 pm »

Code: [Select]
Elerium containment:-----Operational
Memetic Core: -----------Operational
Cpu Load: ----------------0.17%
Core temperature:-------293 K
Production Unit ---------- Online
Elerium Refinement ----- Standbye

Robert ignored the computer's report, instead focusing on the cheap paper he'd bought on his way here. They were a dying race, the latest victims of progress and technology. The computer revolution would be reduced to a footnote in history books when he published his findings however. The lab was ready, his equipment prepared, and basic safety precautions were taken. The only thing he missed now was a research subject. He'd intended to focus his research on the Elerium, but it appeared there was more going on. He put down the paper, several articles circled in red. Riots and gangwars in the inner city, eliminations and murder galore. All in all fairly normal for the city, but he was certain something was off.

He needed more information. He hoped his assistant would have no problem with this, because the next step was hardly legal. He needed access to the police database, security cameras, cell phone systems, everything. Most of the puzzle pieces were already on the table, he just needed to gather and arrange them in the correct order. Scanning all that data was going to take a while however, and he was certain that even then some people would elude the system. A half finished puzzle was now lying on the table, and he just needed to find those pieces that'd fallen off.

-----

Elerium truly is a wonderful material, but deadly. Even a single gram can destroy the world, if left alone. It was however, just as unique in it's dangers as in it's capabilities, and no other material could replace it, not without encumbering the sensors with a giant and noticeable heatsink. He had his qualms about setting such a dangerous substance loose into the world, but there was no other option. He had to take the chance, and hope that if the small liquid helium canister didn't suffice to destroy it, the winter's cold would suffice to keep in contained till he could destroy it.

He carefully lifted the small sensor out of the window, activated it, and let go. The fist sized sphere quickly unfolds, extending sensors, and halts it's descent at the altitude of the first floors. Balancing on it's four rotors, slowly climbs back to the window, before scooting away into the distance. One sensor deployed, nine to go.

Spoiler: Eye Specifications (click to show/hide)
Half act:Crack into all of the cities secure (and nonsecure) databases, looking for evidence of unusual phenomena.
Half act:Deploy the Eyes. Elerium enhanced flying sensors drones.

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 15, 2013, 12:43:47 pm »

Nate decided he needed to do some studying. After all, he may have had the power to summon spirits, but hey, that wasn't going to stop his teacher from giving him hell on it.

"Hm. What was it...oh, right. Programming Yeah."
He went into his room.

He had a small lounging spot in the corner belonging to the Salamander, who had grudgingly accepted him as a necessity. It was off doing....something. The Fire Hive, the mystical insects of fire he'd summoned, were inside a (specially ordered) glass tank. After they'd burnt their way through Nate's last Art assignment, he'd learnt his lesson.

The teen sat in front of his computer stretching his fingers.
"Alright. Let's do this."
He sat there for several hours, programming his assignment; a game of Pong.
Null Act: Program a game of pong for your school assignments.

Meanwhile, the Salamander was curious.

It never acted curious. It only knew five things.

The 'master', Nathan, or whatever he was called. His 'creator', no matter how grudgingly he accepted it.

The 'other', Tom. He was curious. Interesting. He knew not much about mythology, like Nathan. He wasn't too fun to look around at.

The Fae, Holly. He hadn't seen much of the Fae around since she was summoned here. Perhaps she was off.....enjoying Nature? Heh. Trees weren't for him. He prefered burning them.

The fireflies. He liked them. They were fire spirits, like him. Fun to converse with. At least, he thought they would be. It turned out that they were only obsessed with the Inner Fire, or whatever. Bloody killjoys.

And everything else was either food or not food. It didn't matter to the Salamander.

But this human. This one.

He seemed interesting. Fascinating, even. He inspired curiosity in the fire spirit-made-corporeal.

Always calling, always working, always always busy. Not like the master, not like the other. Not like the Fae.

He seemed to contain....a great grief. And also....power.

Similar yet different from the master.

The Salamander needed to know.
Null Act: The Salamander continues surveying Red.

For the other NPCs...
Holly's off in the forest.
The Fire Hive are inside a fireproof glass tank.
Tom is...Tom.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12