Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12

Author Topic: The Age Of Fire: Game Thread  (Read 26473 times)

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
Re: The Age Of Fire: Game Thread
« Reply #135 on: December 23, 2014, 07:41:43 pm »

When Johnny says 'Saint Peter's', the mental equivalent of a thunderstorm starts going off in Merlin's head. The clamor of voices coming out of his head rises to an outright rumble before abruptly going completely silent, the last thing said being 'no coincidences'.
The silence hangs for a while before Merlin speaks again.

Do you remember your parents at all, Johnny? Anything about them? The color of their eyes, the reason they left you at the orphanage, anything at all?
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: December 23, 2014, 07:50:45 pm »

Johnny looks at Merlin oddly. For the first time, Merlin realizes that Johnny's eyes and Matthew's eyes are the exact same shade.
Huh?

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: December 23, 2014, 11:10:21 pm »

The wizard's eyes widen and the thought tendril retracts from Johnny's temple momentarily as thoughts come tumbling out of the back of Merlin's head in a flood.
Green. Green eyes.
Same shade as Matthew's.
Slight pulse, resistance to mind probe indicates latent magical ability.
From Saint Peter's Orphanage.
Matthew also from Saint Peter's orphanage.
Matthew also possesses significant latent magical ability.
Shared supernatural heritage most likely explanation. But only shared features green eyes...
Wait. Magic-killing entity under complex banished by unknown means, likely power greater than self.
Matthew asking about Jules afterward.
Agreement made with entity for potent magical materials a few months back. Unknown entity in agreement had green eye, identified as Jules.
Lack of magical creatures or features of any kind in world at large means only source could be hidden places or other worlds.
One of Jules' primary traits that he spreads across worlds akin to virus.
Shared features same shade of green eyes.
Same eyes as Jules.
Johnny son of Jules.
Matthew ... son of Jules.
Once is coincidence, twice is pattern. Jules used orphanage as dumping ground for children.
Orphanage recently burned down, claimed as arson. According to Johnny too professional for arson.
Something targeted orphanage for purpose. Perhaps enemy of Jules.
Likely other children of Jules in orphanage. Assume escaped and at large.
If whatever burned down orphanage was targeting Jules and/or children of, assume surveillance placed on any orphans adopted. Likely surveillance on shop. Need to search.
Need to keep up pretence of interview with Johnny.

This is manifested on the outside as Merlin rapidly blinking his eyes in odd patterns and the air around him occasionally pulsing. After a long period of silence, Merlin connects to Johnny's head again.

Your father, specifically. Do you remember anything significant about your father? This may explain some of the bizarre things that have been happening to you.

Merlin furrows his brow. Jules had approached Matthew in the store in the prelude to the deal he'd made - store compromised - and apparently talked to him after the incident underneath the complex, if his suspicions were right. Given this apparent preference for communicating with his children, combined with Johnny's rather jaded attitude toward supernatural events, suggested he'd likely contacted him before. More information needed. And how did the incident with the portal and the cultists connect?
I need more information.

...never mind the question about your parents. I apologize for changing tack so much, but you insinuated that many odd supernatural events have happened to you over the course of your involvement with R, or that you're used to them. What exactly happened to you? It could be important.
Sig! Onol

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: December 23, 2014, 11:14:48 pm »

Johnny stiffly stands up from the chair.
"Do you know where the door is?" he asks.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: December 23, 2014, 11:28:08 pm »

Merlin temporarily silences the audio input for the phone call to Jack.

"Yes, but I have to ask you... please, stay for at least a little while longer. This whole situation is far more dire than even my worst predictions, it seems. And for better or worse, very powerful individuals have taken a keen interest in you. Any information you could provide would be invaluable to any of us surviving the coming storm."

He heaves a sigh out. This much momentous news at once meant swift action would have to be taken.

"In addition, there are several facts about you that I believe will be useful to you in the future. If you talk with me but a while longer, I will reveal them to you. I apologize for the hook tactic, but I need information if I am to act correctly. Please."
Sig! Onol

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: December 23, 2014, 11:29:07 pm »

Johnny bites his lip, and then sits down in silence. He still has a deer in the headlights look.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: December 23, 2014, 11:36:18 pm »

Merlin reactivates the audio line and extends the turquoise line to Johnny's head again.

Firstly, I apologize for my forcefulness. Dealing with the unknown makes me cautious, and now that I know a portion of the truth my outlook is not much brighter. I don't intend to hurt you or anyone at all. I just want to survive whatever's happening. In that light, I think it would be best to start at the beginning. You said that your first involvement in anything supernatural started with the man who convinced you to stop drinking. Start from when you met him and go on from there, please. Leave out no detail; I have to know all I can.
Sig! Onol

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: December 25, 2014, 10:49:48 am »

'I'm sorry, Mr. M, but your whole mysterious routine isn't giving me much reason to trust you. Perhaps if you actually had something of value to me. Or perhaps if we could meet in person,' Jack said. Did this guy think she was born yesterday? He'd need to contact Absolon and Red anyway, though.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: December 25, 2014, 05:33:22 pm »

"As a matter of fact, meeting in person was what I was building up to. It needs to be all of us though. I've been told that there are several individuals with abilities on par with ours, and you and I are among that number. Johnny's backer is another, but it would be best to meet with all of them. I'll be searching for the remainder, but any help you could provide would be useful, for purposes of time if nothing else."
Sig! Onol

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: December 25, 2014, 06:08:26 pm »

'Mmm, all very nice, yes, but I've got no reason to trust you. I'm not just going to tell you, but I can set up a meeting. You'll meet who you need to there,' Jack said. She paused. 'By all means, look for more of us. Bring whoever you find along as your plus one.'

She grinned. Somehow, that seemed to carry over the phone. 'What kind of meeting should this be like, do you think? I've had my fill of formal dinners, so I'm thinking: tasteful party? An evening of good entertainment would do us all good, don't you think? Might be the last chance we get, anyway...'

Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: December 25, 2014, 06:36:13 pm »

Merlin's sigh carries all the possible meaning of 'I'm getting too old for this bullshit' across the line.

"I don't quite care what form the meeting takes. It should be in a place where we can discuss without being observed, though - I imagine what we talk about would do well to not become public."
Sig! Onol

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: December 25, 2014, 06:42:37 pm »

'I can't say if I can keep the creeps out if they want to pay us a visit. Otherwise, I wouldn't worry. Oh, would you happen to play poker, darling?'

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: December 25, 2014, 06:46:56 pm »

"The meeting will take place after the Game of Heart's Desire, if that's what you are suggesting. I've had too many games of that design in my lifetime to trust them at all."
Sig! Onol

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: December 26, 2014, 06:22:27 am »

'Come now, sweetheart, there's no shame in admitting you're rubbish at cards. That's how this whole thing got started, for me,' Jack said. 'There'll be entertainment for everyone, don't worry. Dress code will be - mm, smart casual. Don't be late.'

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: December 26, 2014, 08:16:01 am »

Merlin chuckles. "Oh, I am rubbish at cards. Every time I've gotten involved in a game such as the one you host, I've lost something valuable and had to kill the host to get it back, however, and any one of us dying would be unfortunate at the moment."
He scratched his chin. Smart casual? He'd have to read up on it.
"Very well, then, I'll bring the others. I'd ask you to make the venue more secure than the last Game turned out to be, but that shouldn't be a concern whatever happens. Anyone attacking would either be an imbecile or too powerful to stop. Or both, there've been cases of that before," he rambles on in an increasingly muttery voice. "I'll be sure to be punctual."
With that, he cuts the line and turns his attention to Johnny. "No need for telepathy any longer, speak if you wish."
Sig! Onol
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12