Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12

Author Topic: The Age Of Fire: Game Thread  (Read 26475 times)

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
Re: The Age Of Fire: Game Thread
« Reply #105 on: December 04, 2014, 08:33:56 pm »

I don't particularly want anything from you, to be perfectly honest. I do need to know who that was, though. It factors in to how you must have gotten in here and I make it my business to know these things.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 04, 2014, 08:36:08 pm »

Johnny was so sick of this shit.
"What is here, exactly? And can I get out of here, please?"
Merlin, for a second, saw both the magical energy pulse, and Johnny's eyes shine a little. The effect was so subtle it could be dismissed as a trick of the light, but...

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 04, 2014, 09:20:38 pm »

Merlin mentally catalogues every magical effect he comes across, just as a precaution. A wizard always needed to be able to recognize a competitor's mark, after all. And that effect that Johnny just displayed ... it doesn't quite get to the front of his mind, but it resounds with a mental file marked 'danger' in the back of his mind. Johnny himself isn't magically skilled, or so it seems, but it demands a response.
Merlin flicks a hand and suddenly rasps out a word that doesn't sound like anything pronounceable and shadows flare up behind his chair in a great curling conflagration. The old-fashioned blinds Merlin put in on the windows sweep shut and the room is instead lit up with an indiscrinct light source. It's around the same light level as before, but the shadows that now lurk around the edge of the room churn and bubble.
"This is my shop. What you see in the shadows is the reason why you would normally not be inside here. As you can tell, as a proprietor of magic I'm extremely curious as to why one of the other individuals in this city with the same gift would choose to murder the mayor and plunge the city into chaos. You could help me quite a bit in this endeavour.'
He pauses for a second before adding, "Additionally, I am curious as to why you were so despondent. Normally people who get help from magic users are either massively overindulging or do better than they normally would. I'd guess you had a falling out over the mayor being assassinated, but I need to know more. If whoever was helping you is going to kill more people, I may need to stop them.
The shadows subside slightly as Merlin waits for Johnny's answer.
Sig! Onol

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 04, 2014, 09:35:18 pm »

Johnny stares at the shadows for a while.
"Why am I so despondent...? My parents left me to rot in an orphanage. My wife left me when my job dried up. So I drink myself into oblivion, do anything for a dollar so I can get just one more sip, sleep in rags. Then R... He walks into my life telling me I'm not so bad, I can do this," Johnny bites his lower lip. "Then he kills the mayor. I didn't like the mayor, but I don't want blood on my hands for something I didn't even know I was going to do. So you know what? I have no incentive to tell you his name. I didn't care for the mayor, as I said, and I don't give a shit about this city. Plunge into chaos, plunge into fucking boiling water for all I care... I don't know if he's going to kill more people. He might, he might not. The thing is, the people he's likely to kill are likely to be bad people. So who cares?"
Johnny stands up.
"I know that whatever his game is, you're in the same game too. You may call it magic, he might call it something else. But you know what? I'm done. If you want to kill me for that... that's okay. Cos you already made your choice since I started talking, right?"
He smiles. The smile is something Merlin hasn't seen in a long time: the look of someone who knows he's a dead man walking.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 05, 2014, 12:02:14 am »

Merlin stares at Johnny during his explanation. He sighs heavily, looks down into his lap, and the shadows recede. The blinds open again, letting in natural sunlight.
I was never going to kill you. I don't know what kind of people you've met that you expect it of anyone, truth be told. I should probably not be surprised given this city, though.
He looks up at Johnny, his eyes tired but with a slight inner fire in them.
But it's a mistake to just give up. To say 'who cares'. That's not how things get better. And trust me, if no one does anything it's going to get much worse. Not just whatever R might do - he won't be the only one out there, and likely not the most malavolent. But I don't know for sure. Now that he's killed, he might do it again. Might claim kingship over the city, wouldn't be the first magical tyrant around. He might curse the police force to become monsters, another might burn down city hall, any number of awful things might happen to any number of people in this city, but if no one does anything it can never get better.
He gets up sometime during this speech and starts pacing around, gesturing animatedly, but he stops and looks directly at Johnny again.
I'm not going to ask you to become directly involved in whatever's going to happen in the next few months on my behalf; you've been taken advantage of too much already by whoever your former benefactor was. He may have given you that coat, those gloves, and the nonvisible gift that goes with them, but involving you in murder was too much. I'm just asking for you to answer a few questions.

And if none of that persuaded you ... you likely have people you know, perhaps even like in this city. Your wife might still live here, whatever friends you made on the streets. If this city falls to Magicsl chaos or whatever else, they could get hurt or worse. I know the amount of damage one rogue wizard can do if their mind is put to it. I'd like no one to die due to us; you could help me with that.

He sits back down rather heavily. He pulls two teacups out of his sleeves in a magician-like fashion, snaps his fingers, and they're filled with tea.

Even if you just want to go, please have a drink of tea before you go. It's cold outside and this will keep you warm.
Sig! Onol

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: December 16, 2014, 11:17:45 am »

Johnny stares at the windows, trying to avoid the gaze of Merlin.
He thinks about Red.
He thinks about his wife.
He thinks about Blink, Harley, Mike.
He meets Merlin's eyes and holds out his hand for the tea.
"Do you have a phone in this place?" he asks.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: December 16, 2014, 05:17:19 pm »

Merlin gestures and the tea floats over to his hand, the handle warping slightly to fit his fingers. 
"Who do you need to call?" he says, rotating his hand which has begun to glow slightly.
Sig! Onol

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: December 16, 2014, 05:21:14 pm »

Johnny grabs it without really considering it.
"Do you know Jack Coupe?" he says.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: December 16, 2014, 06:07:20 pm »

"I've heard things. What is her telephone number?"
Sig! Onol

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: December 16, 2014, 06:09:59 pm »

Johnny downs the tea and holds out his hand again.
"Phone first."

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: December 16, 2014, 06:20:43 pm »

Merlin twists his hand some more, the glow brightening until he's holding what looks like the phone bit of a cable phone, with the number pad down the middle of the handle. The cable, glowing blue and looking kinda holographic, extends into Merlin's index finger, and it stretches out as he floats the phone over to Johnny.
The fact that this particular spell remembered what numbers it called was just a security measure, really.
Sig! Onol

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: December 16, 2014, 06:24:57 pm »

Johnny doesn't know that. He think he's being very smart by covering his hand as he dials Jack's number.
A phone in the Omega starts ringing.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: December 18, 2014, 02:12:36 pm »

The call collects, after a moment. There's a moment of silence before Jack answers.

'...Johnny, was it? Red's little spy. I don't appreciate being played for fools. This better be good.'
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: December 18, 2014, 02:18:26 pm »

"Hey, Coupe, refresh my memory. How many weird dime-store magicians are there in this city now? I lost count."

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: December 18, 2014, 02:21:42 pm »

'Johnny... one warning. I'm not in the mood for games. Talk.'
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12