Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Open source?  (Read 2673 times)

Monsieur Fish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Open source?
« on: February 20, 2013, 10:25:45 pm »

I'm running DF on Linux mint and I can access the source code for some reason. I wasn't able to do this on Windows. Is this normal now?

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
Re: Open source?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2013, 10:39:59 pm »

What exactly do you mean by "source code" ?

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2013, 10:42:11 pm »

Perhaps you mean the source for the SDL port code?  That surprised me too in the linux version.  If so, that's not the code for the game, but the graphical layer that multithreads it a bit and speeds up the display.
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer
I've been working on this type of thing...

Monsieur Fish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2013, 10:42:13 pm »

I mean the code of the game itself. Like the parts in a clock, brah. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Source_code

I only ask because I have heard in the past that Toady doesn't want the code released.

chaosgear

• Bay Watcher
  • Pants-on-head retarded
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2013, 10:47:55 pm »

That means you can change the hardcoded stuff!
Think of the mods!
Think of the science!
Think of the lawsuits!
I always seem to end up with a magnificent burial complex and nowhere near enough bodies to fill it, or far too many bodies and nowhere to put any of them.

Monsieur Fish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2013, 10:51:30 pm »

That means you can change the hardcoded stuff!
Think of the mods!
Think of the science!
Think of the lawsuits!

Yeah, that's why I was asking, brah. I'm not quite sure what, if anything, I should do.

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2013, 10:53:55 pm »

Pics or it didn't happen.
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

Phlum

• Bay Watcher
  • Above Is my true form, no mortal shall see it!
    • View Profile
    • Idontwanttowork
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2013, 10:57:36 pm »

I mean the code of the game itself. Like the parts in a clock, brah. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Source_code

I only ask because I have heard in the past that Toady doesn't want the code released.

This is not "exactly" what was ment. Raws could be to the program as parts are to a clock. You can change the parts but not the principle of the clock

Can you change the world gen stuff? Or pathfinding? Seems like you are only gonna find out if you got the source code is if you poke it.
So I have spoken, may this thread live long!!

I don't share my age online, no one takes horny 14 year olds seriously.

"dwarf fortress is autism in a game"  -a guy named rick

Monsieur Fish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2013, 11:03:58 pm »

This is not "exactly" what was ment. Raws could be to the program as parts are to a clock. You can change the parts but not the principle of the clock

Can you change the world gen stuff? Or pathfinding? Seems like you are only gonna find out if you got the source code is if you poke it.

I know enough about coding to know this is the source, but not enough to do anything with it. I tried to change it up but I never bothered to look up how to compile this language.

I am also reluctant to post screenshots because the Toad is an angry god.

EDIT: This is definitely the source code. It's written in two language, I know. It's got various comments written down by the Toad. I still don't know whether this is normal, guys. Any other Linux users get this?
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 11:11:08 pm by Monsieur Fish »

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2013, 11:44:21 pm »

Are you talking about the g_src directory, Monsieur Fish?

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2013, 11:59:24 pm »

I'd assume it's the g_src stuff provided for porting and so on.  It's in every linux archive.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Monsieur Fish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2013, 01:26:08 am »

I'd assume it's the g_src stuff provided for porting and so on.  It's in every linux archive.

Yes, this is it. That makes sense. Didn't think it would be this easy to get the source code.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2013, 01:33:27 am »

looks like someone learned a new phrase recently and thinks he's a hacker now
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2013, 06:08:37 am »

Yeah, that's not the source code. Well, not the whole thing. Maybe 2% of it, at most.

KingKaol

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a magma.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2013, 06:28:35 am »

Dwarf Fortress is what inspired me to attempt solo game-programming.  I'm about 4 years in and feel pretty comfortable with C++, working completely from a linux shell nowadays. My current game engine code-base is north of 35k lines (about 10k of tests). Got me wondering how big is the code base for solo game projects, like DF? Toady seems very fast at fixing lots of bugs and adding new features. The part that has taken the longest for me is the object-management system (extendable concurrent subsystems that can share and own resources accross many subsystems via messages), Current repository was started 9 months ago (though it was ported from previous work) and still haven't finished (though it's getting close).
Pages: [1] 2