Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1504 1505 [1506] 1507 1508 ... 1654

Author Topic: Space Station 13: Urist McStation  (Read 2126233 times)

Cheedows

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a dwarf, right?
    • View Profile
Re: Space Station 13: Urist McStation
« Reply #22575 on: July 13, 2015, 02:06:31 pm »

Mapping everyone.
I love how everyone says they are going to map but the only one that actually finished a map was Glloyd.  I have seen the code, is the mapping just as messy and terrible?

Yeah, and even then we had a lot of people helping him out and it was a summer project.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22576 on: July 13, 2015, 02:26:29 pm »

Mapping everyone.
I love how everyone says they are going to map but the only one that actually finished a map was Glloyd.  I have seen the code, is the mapping just as messy and terrible?

I was talking about the bug report above it, for the heist shuttle breaking.

As for people starting to map, but never finishing, for me it was either because we switched code bases, or something got corrupted.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

b_knight286

• Bay Watcher
  • ....huh?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22577 on: July 13, 2015, 02:56:40 pm »

BYOND is just so bad.  But at least one BYOND game is fun enough for hundreds of people not to care.  I wonder if the guy who made that awesome metastation map had as much misfortune as the rest of you?

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #22578 on: July 13, 2015, 03:06:07 pm »

Mapping everyone.

I was talking about the bug report above it, for the heist shuttle breaking.

As for people starting to map, but never finishing, for me it was either because we switched code bases, or something got corrupted.
(in case you missed it, I was referring to the Vox shuttle leaving parts of itself behind being labeled a feature)
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #22579 on: July 13, 2015, 03:37:00 pm »

Metacide, who made Metastation, is a pretty chill dude. Metastation has changed a lot since it's first version.
Tg has about three maintained or somewhat maintained maps right now, box, meta and asstation.
I don't actually remember who made asteroidstation, though. And in the past we had maintstation aka efficiencystation, but that's dead now. Ministation still exists and compiles but nobody uses it anymore and it's ugly af. I plan to make a better ministation someday.
And Glloydstation still uses my medbay/RD design, so there's that :P

In reality, the most annoying part about mapping is setting vars on everything, since it's an unsearchable, hard to use menu.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #22580 on: July 13, 2015, 05:01:38 pm »

Mapping everyone.

Yeah, and even then we had a lot of people helping him out and it was a summer project.

Yeah, I planned everything and laid it out in early June 2013. It was "finished" by October 2013. There was also 4 or so other people who did sections, and then J/L did a lot of work on it after it went live. IIRC, Miauw did Med/Sci, Electronics did Atmos/Engi, LSP did bar/cafe/hydro and Cozarctan did the library and chapel. I did everything else along with vars, cameras, disposals., powernet and atmos. Then, J/L came and redid dorms, hydro, part of maint and the AI areas. I also redid cargo, most of maint and the rec area. Then, I did a shitton of work porting it over to Bay and redid some areas to add in Bay areas and turn departmental Sec into mini dorms.

Basically, maps are never really finished and they take a fuckton of work to keep updated/balanced/fun, not to mention the work it takes to get them playable.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22581 on: July 13, 2015, 05:15:38 pm »

you guys still use giloyd? man

is there a map available i wanna see

are my ~nice floors~ still in

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #22582 on: July 13, 2015, 05:16:36 pm »

you guys still use giloyd? man

is there a map available i wanna see

are my ~nice floors~ still in

Some of them~

Particularly the theatre ones, which were always my favourite.

http://nienhaus.pancakeapps.com/UristMap.html <- Outdated but still relevant.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22583 on: July 13, 2015, 05:30:18 pm »

i know, these particular ones just tile so well it's outrageous

i'm bit aching for a mapping project though, which does not necessarily mean it's gotta be bay, but yeah i'd like to poke things together

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22584 on: July 13, 2015, 05:38:01 pm »

Im thinking of trying (for the third time) to get the smallish station design I drew up... what, two years ago now? Anyways, to finally get that working.

Spoiler: This one (click to show/hide)
The NW area of it is kinda bare, and could use some love. Besides, the basic idea of it is to be the minimum, and let it grow as needed. I also dont really like how I have the supply area, and that will probably be one of the first things that gets worked on.

Man, I really, really wish we could get normal maps work like away or event maps. At the very least just getting the main station z-level work like them.

-edit-

Speaking of, I decided to just make it in baycode (less collisions when we update, right?), and it actually looks like that is what they are doing. Each z-level is its own map at the least. It also looks like they have two merc areas, the DJ station is larger, the lict is very different, and there is also a few other odd differences.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 06:01:46 pm by Aseaheru »
Highly Opinionated Fool

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #22585 on: July 13, 2015, 07:59:44 pm »

If you're making it on Baycode, make sure to use the Dev-Freeze. Otherwise it'll still collide.

Some changes are simply due to us being out of date.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22586 on: July 13, 2015, 08:02:04 pm »

I meant less collisions when we update.
Highly Opinionated Fool

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #22587 on: July 13, 2015, 08:03:37 pm »

I meant less collisions when we update.
So do I. Bay is about to update from the dev-freeze to master when remaining bugs are fixed, and that update rewrites lighting and materials (for walls, ferex), so...

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22588 on: July 13, 2015, 09:22:28 pm »

I think I just used their main repo...
Highly Opinionated Fool

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #22589 on: July 13, 2015, 10:17:15 pm »

i know, these particular ones just tile so well it's outrageous

i'm bit aching for a mapping project though, which does not necessarily mean it's gotta be bay, but yeah i'd like to poke things together

I'm working on a planet station on and off. I'll try to finish a concrete design doc soon and get the framework laid out.
Pages: 1 ... 1504 1505 [1506] 1507 1508 ... 1654