Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1465 1466 [1467] 1468 1469 ... 1654

Author Topic: Space Station 13: Urist McStation  (Read 2125372 times)

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
Re: Space Station 13: Urist McStation
« Reply #21990 on: April 16, 2015, 04:57:24 pm »

That is how it works. It was made that way so it looks like there is more people on TG's Badger server then there is so people would join.

That's... kinda pathetic :/

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Nienhaus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21991 on: April 16, 2015, 04:59:07 pm »

That is how it works. It was made that way so it looks like there is more people on TG's Badger server then there is so people would join.

That's... kinda pathetic :/
One server gets like 10-15 and the other one can get anywhere from 70-80

Vactor

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^ DF 1.0 ^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #21992 on: April 16, 2015, 06:19:46 pm »

I did some hardware fixes, and I believe I have fixed the issues that were preventing us from recovering from crashes properly.  I did a few preliminary tests, and the server recovered correctly, so we'll see how it works.

And the server is back up.
Wreck of Theseus: My 2D Roguelite Mech Platformer
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=141525.0

My AT-ST spore creature http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0btwvL9CNlA

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #21993 on: April 16, 2015, 06:57:05 pm »

I did some hardware fixes, and I believe I have fixed the issues that were preventing us from recovering from crashes properly.  I did a few preliminary tests, and the server recovered correctly, so we'll see how it works.

Thanks Vactor! What ended up being the issues?

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21994 on: April 16, 2015, 08:10:23 pm »

So does this mean if the server crashes then it goes back up by itself now? Sweet baby jesus.

Also, Glloyd, S-COM test this weekend Y/N?

Vactor

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^ DF 1.0 ^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #21995 on: April 16, 2015, 08:11:58 pm »

Thanks Vactor! What ended up being the issues?

There were some issues with the motherboard not recognizing the OS SSD after a crash, which I think I have finally resolved.

So does this mean if the server crashes then it goes back up by itself now? Sweet baby jesus.

That should be the case now if it all goes to plan.
Wreck of Theseus: My 2D Roguelite Mech Platformer
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=141525.0

My AT-ST spore creature http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0btwvL9CNlA

Bluebiscuit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21996 on: April 17, 2015, 07:16:57 pm »

That was a magical round
HAIL NIGHTSHADE!

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #21997 on: April 17, 2015, 09:55:43 pm »

gah, so frustrating. My game froze up. can't even close the window. Gah. right in the middle of stuff, too.

Lyeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Guess who isn't back
    • View Profile
« Reply #21998 on: April 18, 2015, 01:55:44 am »

I find myself mostly isolated from the current round because of it, just checking things off my mental todo list every round like; gather items 1, 2, research stuff 3, 4, build mechs 5, 6, and etc, but least I like building mechs.
This is pretty much what playing robotics is. It'd be nice if more of the scientists 'n RDs would work on research or actually get sulphuric acid in a timely manner, but then again half of them do it in the most infuriatingly inefficient way possible when they bother at all, so, oh well. At least we have R'nD lab access.

That should be the case now if it all goes to plan.
You're the best, Vactor.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 02:02:25 am by Lyeos »
Take a closer look at this text!

Cheedows

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a dwarf, right?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21999 on: April 18, 2015, 10:30:39 am »

Just wondering, any events planned for Sunday or no?

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22000 on: April 18, 2015, 05:49:39 pm »

I love playing Miner because of how zen it is, even though I suck at actually bringing things back.

In fact, the station usually loses metal, because I keep wanting to build a bar on the 'roid and refugee with some people at round-end.
This would require:
CE Access. I need at least Blueprints x1. Possibly the spare set of Solars and engineering materials to set up a micro-power-grid.
Bar Access: For the beer locker. Some would say "for the specific alcohols", which is true for some types, but not all.
Hydroponics: For some trays. Plants for juice.
Mining Access: For really obvious reasons.

GM/Coder Help: To really make things perfect, I'd need a still, and possibly seeds. I plan to eventually take a crack at making many, many more things assemble-able and disassemble-able, or at least mobile, at some point.

---

Honestly I would/will probably try to (go absolutely insane) with map-making when I decide to go on the codeventure, but I want to ask. Is there anything in particular anyone wants to see?

New Map
Vote Item 1: Scale
a. Supertiny. 15 people is a crowd. Many related jobs share a space. Maintenance tunnels are concise and easy to navigate.
b. Tiny. Meant for 15 or less people. Jobs have separate rooms now in most cases. Some storage areas in Maint.
c. Average. Somewhere around what we have now, closer to the smaller end. Every job has a room with room to work.
d. Large. Somewhere around what we have now, closer to the larger end. Non-job areas prevalent. Jobs are spacious.
e. Sprawling. As large as I can possibly handle. Places just don't have room, they have tons of room between them.

Vote Item 2: Shape
a. Cuboid. The station is a square. Four main hallways connect everything together. I think I'd have an entire corner for all things Engineering, causing actual walking space to shrink to an L shape unless you're an engineer. Other sections aren't integrated to the hallway.
b. Linear. The station is built on one huge hallway, or two parallel ones with little important between them. Flavor-wise, the station is more of a gigantic cruiser than an orbit station. Larger scales would turn this into a Plus or Cross, to have room for the most space-consuming job areas.
c. Atomic. The station has many bubbles for each individual job cluster connected by hallways and maintenance tunnels. Hallways and tunnels are weak points of the station, but the actual job clusters are as self-contained as possible.
d. Clump. Similar to Atomic, but hallways are shortened as much as possible, creating more of a clumped appearance. Some jobs have rooms connecting to two clusters, and the station itself is much harder to breach.
e. Jelly Filled Donut. Similar to Cuboid, but spread out enough to have empty space in the middle of the station. This is filled by a single job- the Engine, the Bridge, or otherwise- that is surrounded by open space on all but one heavily-secured hallway. Could also be the Brig. The central job is the "jelly filling" of the donut station.

Vote Item 3: Level Of Security VS Level Of Illicit
a. Supermax. The station is designed more like a prison than a research station. Everything that requires access is likely to have 2 or more doors to get to, cameras are plentiful, and there's as much reinforcement as possible. Even non-illicit recreation rooms are spartan and sparse.
b. Secure. The station is obviously an important one, given it's sturdy superstructure and security features. Unlike Supermax, however, security features lighten up in standard areas and there are rarely redundant security systems.
c. Average. There are places on the station that are not known to the AI, camera placement is up to standard and not much more, and only the bridge really requires multiple doors. Common areas such as hallways may not have good camera coverage or have much in the way of reinforcement.
d. Low Security. These stations were either built before Nanotrasen became such a big target, or the builders got very lazy. Security is only tight in areas where it absolutely must be, and camera coverage in non-workspace areas is minimal at best. Brigs are small, armories are sparse, and hidden maintenance tunnels worm their way around the station like never before. Some seem to have been built much more recently than others...
e. Superminimal. These stations really don't get much use out of an AI, as it's better suited as a doorman than anything else at this point. Security is tiny, and to get anything done, they'll need people to patrol the station. There likely is no permabrig, and cell count is even low. Illicit areas are so numerous that they likely take up twice as much space as the entire Security wing.

Vote 4: Engine Type
a. Pure Solars. There is no dedicated engine on this station, only a number of solar panel arrays. There will probably be one main "solar farm" as well as secondary arrays on other parts of the station. Not sure how well this will work, though this option might actually keep the least amount of energy in the wires at any given time.
b. Thermoelectric. My experience with engines is minimal, and this one, I have the absolute least with. Smaller stations might have a cold loop exposed to space, opening sabotage attempts by intrepid traitors. Larger ones, on the other hand, may have two of these going at once.
c. Singularity. ALL HAIL LORD SINGULOTH. While I believe this one might be the absolute worst to map out even with all the pipes in Thermoeletric, you really can't have enough singulo. I've been considering one of these in the center of a station for a while, just because of the inherent "our Assistants designed this" philosophy there.
d. Supermatter. All the rage these days, apparently, and I think it's the easiest to map out. Maybe. Dunno.

---

Fair warning, I don't know when I'll actually get to steadily working on the map code, or if I won't default to coding other things if I hit a difficulty wall preventing me from rolling something out in a sensible time-frame. If that happens, there's a number of things I'd like to tackle outside of map making.

Most of these include flavor additions such as new drinks, new foods, and new plants, more things to do with raw wood, plastic, glass, and metal, more traitor items, more + updated clothing options.

A couple that I'm considering tackling that would be more difficult (and therefore rewarding):
>"Large Duffel Bags" which slow movement slightly but allow twice as much storage, or possibly just storage of bigger items
>Special Xenoarch sprites for objects found
>More bootleg weapons of varying usefulness, most on the weaker end of things
>Special, orderable and craftable equipment such as portable variable-lumen lights (crafting: metal for frame, wires, attach multitool, screwdrive, add lightbulb?)
>Possible changes to Mindbreaker's tripping code
>Possible new mobs, expansion of Xenobio to include study of alien plants and more animals than just slimes.

I'll probably have to start slow, but ultimately I'd like to complete at least one or two things from the list above.
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #22001 on: April 18, 2015, 05:54:09 pm »

1b 2d 3d 4 anything but d. Supermatter is no longer supported (or used) by BS12 and it's far from perfect as-is.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Donuts

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #22002 on: April 18, 2015, 06:11:39 pm »

1b 2d 3d 4 anything but d. Supermatter is no longer supported (or used) by BS12 and it's far from perfect as-is.
This but 4 should be C.
"Oh shit, they've got a slogan! It means they're serious!"

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22003 on: April 18, 2015, 06:36:00 pm »

B,D,D,B.

Because, well, most of the time we have less than 15 or we are doing an event, self contained but nearby is safe and sane, I personally think that with all the randoms we are getting and how they are acting it might make sense to have the station as a semi-independent entity working more with NT than as part of it, and, well, while I love solars, I feel that there is something needed besides them and TEGs are the most sane.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22004 on: April 18, 2015, 06:46:08 pm »

Supermax security sounds like it'd be friggin' hilarious fun as a traitor.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...
Pages: 1 ... 1465 1466 [1467] 1468 1469 ... 1654