Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1413 1414 [1415] 1416 1417 ... 1654

Author Topic: Space Station 13: Urist McStation  (Read 2122477 times)

Cheedows

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a dwarf, right?
    • View Profile
Re: Space Station 13: Urist McStation
« Reply #21210 on: February 02, 2015, 11:11:04 pm »

Well, the server died.

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile
« Reply #21211 on: February 02, 2015, 11:12:40 pm »

So I've been interested in playing this for a while. However, whenever I try to join a server, I just get a blank white screen. Can anyone provide any solutions?

Does it persist? I believe there is a tip that if the screen is blank, it's still downloading resources.

Alternatively, try updating BYOND.
BYOND did have an update, but it didn't fix the problem when I installed it.
The blank screen is persistent, unfortunately. I left it running in the background for over an hour, with no change.
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #21212 on: February 03, 2015, 04:24:29 am »

So I've been interested in playing this for a while. However, whenever I try to join a server, I just get a blank white screen. Can anyone provide any solutions?

Does it persist? I believe there is a tip that if the screen is blank, it's still downloading resources.

The blank screen is persistent, unfortunately. I left it running in the background for over an hour, with no change.

I'll PM you in a sec with my config files, maybe that'll help.

Also, did you check your firewall settings? Maybe it's blocking incoming connections from the game.

E: And Bay merged the dev-freeze to main, meaning that once Glloyd is done begging for death again and there is a crash at an opportune time, we get a whole slew of sexiness.

Notably, jukeboxes, orderable plastic, melee combat indepthification and biiiiig changes to hardsuits.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 12:35:33 pm by scrdest »
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #21213 on: February 03, 2015, 02:26:14 pm »

There's also a lot of silly stuff I need to revert in there too. But, if the PR list is anything to go by, I'm more excited for the next dev cycle.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #21214 on: February 03, 2015, 02:41:09 pm »

There's also a lot of silly stuff I need to revert in there too. But, if the PR list is anything to go by, I'm more excited for the next dev cycle.

Oooh, yeah. Goonchem, the reintroduction of drying racks, feature pull requests ERRYWHERE. And what do you want to revert?

Tangentially, could we perchance ask kg (or someone else, but kg hosts the backup already) to run the most up to date code and keep track of the crashes? Though that wouldn't find out the interaction-related ones...

But either way, the key thing to figure out would be whether our crash frequency is related to code - since we have a ton of stuff added on top of Baycode - or is it strictly server's issues. Vac said the crashes are mostly BSODs, so it would point to the latter, and with the frequency apparently going up, could probably solved with a OS reinstallation.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #21215 on: February 03, 2015, 02:54:48 pm »

Oooh, yeah. Goonchem, the reintroduction of drying racks, feature pull requests ERRYWHERE. And what do you want to revert?

Tangentially, could we perchance ask kg (or someone else, but kg hosts the backup already) to run the most up to date code and keep track of the crashes? Though that wouldn't find out the interaction-related ones...

But either way, the key thing to figure out would be whether our crash frequency is related to code - since we have a ton of stuff added on top of Baycode - or is it strictly server's issues. Vac said the crashes are mostly BSODs, so it would point to the latter, and with the frequency apparently going up, could probably solved with a OS reinstallation.

Well the removal of the syndicate is the big one, but there's some other stuff I have on a list somewhere.

As for the server issues, if you want to get in touch with Vactor to try and work out some of the issues, PM him. I can't really do much this week because of midterms.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #21216 on: February 03, 2015, 03:18:48 pm »

Oh right. The Big Ol' Rename Project.

I did PM Vactor- that's what I learned what exactly was the issue. I'm mostly thinking out loud on how to fix it.

Cheedows

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a dwarf, right?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21217 on: February 03, 2015, 04:40:05 pm »

Wait, a revamp on combat? That's crazy, what's changed?

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21218 on: February 03, 2015, 04:46:56 pm »

...Where'd you get that from?  :o
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Cheedows

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a dwarf, right?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21219 on: February 03, 2015, 05:12:03 pm »

I'll PM you in a sec with my config files, maybe that'll help.

Also, did you check your firewall settings? Maybe it's blocking incoming connections from the game.

E: And Bay merged the dev-freeze to main, meaning that once Glloyd is done begging for death again and there is a crash at an opportune time, we get a whole slew of sexiness.

Notably, jukeboxes, orderable plastic, melee combat indepthification and biiiiig changes to hardsuits.

This.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21220 on: February 03, 2015, 05:14:29 pm »

Ah.

And yes THE FUCKING HARDSUIT STUFF IS SO COOOOOL
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #21221 on: February 03, 2015, 05:30:24 pm »

Whoa, easy, it's nothing that extreme.

Aside from a ton of new fluff text in combat, depending on various variables like damage dealt, position or bodypart hit (helloooo, groin kicks!), it got a bunch of tactical elements mixed in.

Essentially, your intent matters now. If you're on Help, you're caught off-guard, so any hits against you can't be dodged nor blocked, and you get the full impact of the attack.

The remaining intents form a rock-paper-scissors triangle (Disarm>Grab>Harm>Disarm). Disarm means you cannot block but can dodge and you can break grabs and, I believe, makes the push chance slightly bigger against a grabber. It also increases the delay to upgrade the grab on you for the grabber relative to Harm and Help.

Grabs make you take less damage from Harm attacks by the grabbed person and takes less time to go to an aggressive grab like for Help. The person you grabbed loses the ability to dodge, so your hit chance is much better. It has the same grab upgrade time as for Disarm. You can block in addition to dodging.

Harm is pretty straightforward. You can block. Disarm and Help are at a disadvantage, since they cannot block. If you get grabbed, your damage and defense both go down.

Furthermore, bodyparts you target matter more - head hits do more damage and make your vision blurry, arms/hands make you drop whatever's in them, chest do LESS damage, but give you the chance of your opponent reeling from the impact (it's the Weaken effect), groin shots cause a lot of pain and leg shots cause pain, albeit three times less than groin shots, but three times their damage.

Those bodypart buffs are all based on the blessing on the blessing of RNGesus, though, so it's not a per-hit thing.

E: Oh yes, and aggressive grabs got, at least allegedly, fixed, in that you can't just walk out of them anymore, you have to resist/disarm your way out.

Vactor

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^ DF 1.0 ^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #21222 on: February 03, 2015, 05:34:13 pm »

Just as a heads up, i'm working late tonight, I talked my wife through restarting the server, and it is probably back up now.

This weekend i'm going to dig through my hardware scraps to see if i can cobble together enough compatible parts to build another machine to see if that helps with server up-time.
Wreck of Theseus: My 2D Roguelite Mech Platformer
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=141525.0

My AT-ST spore creature http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0btwvL9CNlA

Cheedows

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a dwarf, right?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21223 on: February 03, 2015, 05:35:50 pm »

Sounds great Vactor, thanks!

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #21224 on: February 03, 2015, 05:42:47 pm »

Oooh, awesome. Methinks some money-at-the-screen throwing is in order.

E: The server is, indeed, up.
Pages: 1 ... 1413 1414 [1415] 1416 1417 ... 1654