Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1351 1352 [1353] 1354 1355 ... 1654

Author Topic: Space Station 13: Urist McStation  (Read 2121007 times)

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
Re: Space Station 13: Urist McStation
« Reply #20280 on: November 04, 2014, 01:49:50 pm »

hey miauw (and other nerds also)

what components is ss13 made of

i don't mean the newest flavor of donk pocket bullshit, because that goes on top, the whole layer of byond propping this up is what i need broken down into a nice list

i need this for no reason in particular don't ask any questions
kek, i know of only two people that could give you an answer (since they partially reverse-engineered BYOND), Tobba (the goon dev) and YotaXP. you could catch Yota in #coderbus if you're lucky but I haven't seen Tobba in ages.

also once the webclient is out of beta you'll be able to see the indubitably horrid source code for byond with your own eyes.
Like miauw said, this is BYOND stuff, not SS13 stuff, I'm afraid. The stuff that props SS13's mechanics up though is available. It's scattered throughout the sauce, but good places to start would be ZAS, mobcode, saycode (miauw's been working on this, I'm given to understand) and other low level stuff. Be warned, though, I took a peek in atmos code once. It suffers from the worst spaghetti code I've ever seen in a game full of spaghetti code. Yet it's one of the defining aspects of SS13.

Even BS12 devs are afraid to touch ZAS.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #20281 on: November 04, 2014, 01:57:45 pm »

he's not asking about any of that, he's asking about BYOND.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Octobomb

• Bay Watcher
  • I like pens
    • View Profile
« Reply #20282 on: November 04, 2014, 02:06:56 pm »

he's not asking about any of that, he's asking about BYOND.
Like miauw said, this is BYOND stuff, not SS13 stuff, I'm afraid.
Ya, we know.
-snip-
Even BS12 devs are afraid to touch ZAS.
This amuses me immensely. I think ZAS has three levels of depth. One: AAH this is horrible and messy WHY? Two: It's not, so bad, just large number of a simple selection of statements. Three: AAAH WHY DOES EVERY SINGLE STATEMENT LINK IN TO EVERY OTHER STATEMENT WHY DOES IT LINK INTO ITSELF? I happen to be of the mind that it's a excellent way to summon an elder god. Here's a fun game to play with ZAS:
Delete one random line of code in a random file.
See how many cthuluspawn the compiler vomits out.
I saw 5 people with fedoras in my town yesterday.
They're the special biohazard containment agent, out to deal with m'laria.
Sig
Bay12's resident tea drinkers

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20283 on: November 04, 2014, 02:07:47 pm »

tgcode bestcode so clean

they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

McDonald

• Bay Watcher
  • Passwords get hidden, who knew? ••••••••
    • View Profile
« Reply #20284 on: November 04, 2014, 02:26:46 pm »

tgcode bestcode so clean
I swear I see you on github sometimes. Are you a coder of some server?
I'm with stupid |
                      v

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #20285 on: November 04, 2014, 02:27:12 pm »

tgcode bestcode so clean

LINDA is definitely cleaner. I like ZAS better as an atmospherics system, but holy fuck, it's a bitch to work with unless you know exactly what everything does.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20286 on: November 04, 2014, 02:32:11 pm »

tgcode bestcode so clean
I swear I see you on github sometimes. Are you a coder of some server?
I'm a tg maintainer, yes.

And LINDA has a speed var that we dont use because of lag but that could probably make it more like ZAS.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20287 on: November 04, 2014, 02:32:46 pm »

why do you want to work with things without knowing how they work

holy shit this is why ss13 would put an italian restaursnt in a manic depressive state

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20288 on: November 04, 2014, 02:34:00 pm »

holy shit this is why ss13 would put an italian restaursnt in a manic depressive state
LSP, I don't think you understand. Nobody knows how BYOND works. It's just spaghetti heaped upon spaghetti.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20289 on: November 04, 2014, 02:35:11 pm »

it's closed source m8 we really can't do much about it. as i said, the two dudes i mentioned did some RE and Tobba even made a semi-functional webclient (more functional than BYOND's own webclient, at any rate)

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20290 on: November 04, 2014, 02:37:57 pm »

it's closed source m8 we really can't do much about it. as i said, the two dudes i mentioned did some RE and Tobba even made a semi-functional webclient (more functional than BYOND's own webclient, at any rate)

i were prodding gilly actually but yeah

it'd be pretty top tier shenanigans if by 2k16 somebody ripped the netcode out of byond and into something decent so you can byond without byond

Octobomb

• Bay Watcher
  • I like pens
    • View Profile
« Reply #20291 on: November 04, 2014, 03:05:16 pm »

it'd be pretty top tier shenanigans if by 2k16 somebody ripped the netcode out of byond and into something decent so you can byond without byond
From what I hear of BYOND netcode I'm given to believe it's the ZAS of programs.
I saw 5 people with fedoras in my town yesterday.
They're the special biohazard containment agent, out to deal with m'laria.
Sig
Bay12's resident tea drinkers

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20292 on: November 04, 2014, 03:08:19 pm »

#spacebus on irc.rizon.net

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20293 on: November 04, 2014, 03:25:35 pm »

Everytime I see discussion about SS13 code and BYOND a little part of me starts screaming about a standalone.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #20294 on: November 04, 2014, 03:37:54 pm »

Everytime I see discussion about SS13 code and BYOND a little part of me starts screaming about a standalone.

Which standalone?  ;)

It's been tried a hundred times, and they've all failed.
Pages: 1 ... 1351 1352 [1353] 1354 1355 ... 1654