Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1340 1341 [1342] 1343 1344 ... 1654

Author Topic: Space Station 13: Urist McStation  (Read 2122137 times)

Octobomb

• Bay Watcher
  • I like pens
    • View Profile
Re: Space Station 13: Urist McStation
« Reply #20115 on: October 30, 2014, 12:26:18 pm »

I like the subsidiary explosions. Made it feel authentic.
That was just Rabid chasing me with around the station with explosions.

No, that second spoiler, those smaller explosions? They're from Welding Tanks exploding secondarily to the main explosion.
This makes me very happy.
I saw 5 people with fedoras in my town yesterday.
They're the special biohazard containment agent, out to deal with m'laria.
Sig
Bay12's resident tea drinkers

Kriellya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20116 on: October 30, 2014, 01:53:43 pm »

I have seen heads who wanted a shuttle call because of the SM reaching 20%. This is despite me fixing the problem at 15% and assuring everyone it would stop below 60%. This is both of these problems at once. I've been pressured to eject at 10% as well (the lowest possible point it starts blaring).

I have created a picture guide to setting up a high power SM, by the way. I have no idea how to embed it properly.
http://imgur.com/a/Ir2Ge
Eject at 10%? HAH! No, the only time I would eject at 10% is if the next thing it says is 20%. *Then* I have a problem.

Good guide. Does that really get you 1MW? 12 shots with all the collectors usually gets me ~700KW.
I also hate the bypasses. Because I am a highly safety conscious engineer, and isolation is a good thing!
Have you been on BS12 lately? They're working on a new thing: isolation breakers. When they're done, they'll let their engineers disconnect the grid into several separate sections, each with its own SMES. I'm really looking forward to it. It will give me so many ridiculous things to do when it comes to optimizing the grid :P

The SMES also have another significant benefit: Significant life extension of critical equipment during power loss. Which is probably only relevant on the long rounds I enjoy so much :P

darkpaladin109

• Bay Watcher
  • has no intention of returning here
    • View Profile
« Reply #20117 on: October 30, 2014, 02:03:10 pm »

Server appears to be down.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20118 on: October 30, 2014, 02:06:16 pm »

Have you been on BS12 lately? They're working on a new thing: isolation breakers. When they're done, they'll let their engineers disconnect the grid into several separate sections, each with its own SMES. I'm really looking forward to it. It will give me so many ridiculous things to do when it comes to optimizing the grid :P
Ooh, when we do that can we have the same sort of thing we have with atmos, with emergency air tanks dotted around maint, only with powerstations for them?
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

rabidgam3r

• Bay Watcher
  • bruh
    • View Profile
« Reply #20119 on: October 30, 2014, 04:33:20 pm »

"I have an idea for an alien, at once, at last! YES!"-
*server ded*
"Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck meeeeeeeeeeeee."
Even if he hadn't brought the server down in a ball of flaming, slow-mo gibbing corgis

Octobomb

• Bay Watcher
  • I like pens
    • View Profile
« Reply #20120 on: October 30, 2014, 05:18:54 pm »

-snip-
Eject at 10%? HAH! No, the only time I would eject at 10% is if the next thing it says is 20%. *Then* I have a problem.
I know. People just don't understand I'm actually competent. Except when I flood engineering with plasma. Or accidentally detonate the SM. Or shock myself.
Good guide. Does that really get you 1MW? 12 shots with all the collectors usually gets me ~700KW.
I also hate the bypasses. Because I am a highly safety conscious engineer, and isolation is a good thing!

The SMES also have another significant benefit: Significant life extension of critical equipment during power loss. Which is probably only relevant on the long rounds I enjoy so much :P

You'd hate working with me. I think I violate most of these :).
1. The SMES are difficult to figure out appropriate values for - if you know any, praytell.
2. The high inputs needed to sustain the high outputs from the SMES to avoid bottlenecking, which takes power away from the rest of the grid. If the engine isn't able to power the freezers - which will be powered first - then you have a good half hour before it explodes. Plus, it allows for easier expansion for up to 5 freezers.
3. Same as above. Due to air SCIENCE and a project to cool the station (don't ask), we discovered that the pipes have hours of air in them. I don't like dealing with the bottleneck.
4. Thanks to Baymachines, at full consumption the station eats almost 400k. I have two smes at 150k (maxed) and 200k (~150k used). At 1MW, which is ac
5. Okay, that's dumb. Dear Honkmother, unless you have a powersink (they top out at 1.4MW), don't wire everything into the grid.

That said,sometimes I wish R&D would get their acts together. When engineering starts building, they better be prepared to pump out SMES and freezer parts and other machine components like no tomorrow. I want to build my power bank of 20 SMES dammit!

Sig

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20121 on: October 30, 2014, 05:23:40 pm »

I just tell the solars to send out 100-200K each, just enough power to get the station to survive...
Highly Opinionated Fool

Octobomb

• Bay Watcher
  • I like pens
    • View Profile
« Reply #20122 on: October 30, 2014, 05:47:56 pm »

I just tell the solars to send out 100-200K each, just enough power to get the station to survive...
There's four solars. So 100k each will deal with peaks. I'd honestly rather have them charge to a central bank, but that's too much wiring unless we have extra hands. Also, wiring them in will mean you get all the power, not just the input you get.
Sig

Not good with names

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20123 on: October 30, 2014, 05:51:01 pm »

Personally I just like bothering research to build me 1 or 2 more gas coolers for the core and hooking them in.  If they do the slightest bit of research beforehand, then you can get much the same results beforehand.  Of course ~30% of the rounds I play CE I'm running back and forth from Atmos with cooled Nitrogen for much of the round, but it's a workable solution.

Though, since we're talking about it, is there a minimum/maximum air pressure that the Supermatter can take?  Generally everyone sets the pumps to max and simply pipes in more cooled nitrogen if it's getting hot, but I've noticed that the air coolers work better when the air pressure is lower.

Vactor

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^ DF 1.0 ^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #20124 on: October 30, 2014, 05:54:40 pm »

Server is back up.
Wreck of Theseus: My 2D Roguelite Mech Platformer
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=141525.0

My AT-ST spore creature http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0btwvL9CNlA

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20125 on: October 30, 2014, 05:56:14 pm »

There's four solars. So 100k each will deal with peaks. I'd honestly rather have them charge to a central bank, but that's too much wiring unless we have extra hands. Also, wiring them in will mean you get all the power, not just the input you get.
But the solars aren't all generating power at the same time.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20126 on: October 30, 2014, 05:58:06 pm »

Yah, and the orbit is a few hours long with bay.
Highly Opinionated Fool

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20127 on: October 30, 2014, 06:35:38 pm »

I've noticed that the air coolers work better when the air pressure is lower.

If by that you mean that temperature goes down faster with less gas, it probably is because a lower pressure means less gas to cool.

Not good with names

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20128 on: October 30, 2014, 07:13:01 pm »

Yeah, I figured that, but the question was more about what the atmospheric thresholds were.  I'm assuming that the reason the supermatter goes critical is that the heat increases the air pressure enough that it overwhelms the Plasma filtering system. So if I only have to put one Nitrogen canister in instead of the customary two, then it figures that I could get the supermatter producing more energy before needing to install the extra gas coolers. 

Octobomb

• Bay Watcher
  • I like pens
    • View Profile
« Reply #20129 on: October 30, 2014, 07:51:32 pm »

Yeah, I figured that, but the question was more about what the atmospheric thresholds were.  I'm assuming that the reason the supermatter goes critical is that the heat increases the air pressure enough that it overwhelms the Plasma filtering system. So if I only have to put one Nitrogen canister in instead of the customary two, then it figures that I could get the supermatter producing more energy before needing to install the extra gas coolers.
Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the SM take damage because of heat? N2 is extremely good for heat (you can put out fires by smothering them very quickly or at least lowering their temperature enough to put them out with hand extinguishers). I'll have a look.
E: Code confirms it's a heat thing, therefore more n2 and more coolers is betterer.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 08:04:48 pm by Octobomb »
Sig
Pages: 1 ... 1340 1341 [1342] 1343 1344 ... 1654