Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1223 1224 [1225] 1226 1227 ... 1654

Author Topic: Space Station 13: Urist McStation  (Read 2124042 times)

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
Re: Space Station 13: Urist McStation
« Reply #18360 on: August 18, 2014, 04:47:58 pm »

nobody should have heard of the cult? what's s-com wow
Solidified bad ideas and regret~

Shhhhh, no tears now, only dreams.

Also, for those who weren't on the server last night, here's some of my coding plans for the future. I'm just wrangling with procedurally generated clutter and trees at the moment, so progress is okay. This'll still take some time though.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18361 on: August 18, 2014, 05:04:39 pm »

Go and add things to mine/drill too?
Heck, depopulate the mineing asteroid and move xenoarch down to the planet...
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #18362 on: August 18, 2014, 05:23:39 pm »

No planet, only Zuul

Wait, can you have a z-level you can't enter via traveling through space? I suppose if you can't, you could simulate it by dropping you in a random point on the planet, give you a lot of burn damage, and say you entered the planet's atmosphere.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #18363 on: August 18, 2014, 05:24:05 pm »

Nah, I plan on keeping the mining asteroid.

Wait, can you have a z-level you can't enter via traveling through space? I suppose if you can't, you could simulate it by dropping you in a random point on the planet, give you a lot of burn damage, and say you entered the planet's atmosphere.

You can, you just need to compile another z-level with the game.

TGameCo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18364 on: August 18, 2014, 05:30:41 pm »

VAC PLZ UPDAT

'Hang on, I need to set off this EMP... FUCK! MY PACEMAKER!'

Quote from: miauw62
i think humphrey would be a good last name for somebody called Penis.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #18365 on: August 18, 2014, 05:33:53 pm »

VAC PLZ UPDAT

let me fix bugz first plz

TGameCo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18366 on: August 18, 2014, 05:47:43 pm »

k.

'Hang on, I need to set off this EMP... FUCK! MY PACEMAKER!'

Quote from: miauw62
i think humphrey would be a good last name for somebody called Penis.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18367 on: August 18, 2014, 06:03:58 pm »

No mining asteroid, only planet?
No xenoarch on asteroid, just on planet.

No planet, only Zuul

>Centcomm z-level
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #18368 on: August 18, 2014, 06:38:52 pm »

I'm pretty sure I crashed into that once or twice, but I might be thinking of something else. I once crashed into the Head of Security's office after jumping out of the escape airlocks on Metastation, so apparently in SS13 the universe is very very small and loops around.

Nienhaus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18369 on: August 18, 2014, 07:05:51 pm »

I'm pretty sure I crashed into that once or twice, but I might be thinking of something else.
You're thinking of something else. You can't get on that Z-level by flying though space.

Gale212

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18370 on: August 18, 2014, 08:02:10 pm »

nobody should have heard of the cult? what's s-com wow
Solidified bad ideas and regret~

Shhhhh, no tears now, only dreams.

Also, for those who weren't on the server last night, here's some of my coding plans for the future. I'm just wrangling with procedurally generated clutter and trees at the moment, so progress is okay. This'll still take some time though.

So how are these new features going to change things like botany that can grow tower caps for wood and use the biogenerator for leather goods? Will they be nerfed or just scraped?

Also a planet would be a good place for more plants and having a way to trap animals so you dont have to haul them to the station one by one if anyone needs them.

Edit: also if the station is edited, maybe somewhere for livestock to be kept that isnt maint. or the freezer.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 08:08:44 pm by Gale212 »

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #18371 on: August 18, 2014, 08:43:12 pm »

If there's a planet, half the rounds I'm just going to live on it. Move down there, build myself a nice wooden hut then laugh at all the people on the station suffering depressurisation.

Also, will you include a way of stopping someone (unrealistically) poisoning the whole planet by dumping a few plasma canisters on there?

I will be adding more wooden things including walls (I think I wrote that on there) so that's entirely possible.

Unsimulated tiles :D (no airflow)

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18372 on: August 18, 2014, 08:44:36 pm »

As for mobs and mob spawining, maybe have some sort of ranking system for "spawners"? Invisible or indestructable, and each one spawns randomly a single type or from a "tier" of monsters. Research can use dead animals to build stuff such as sensors or trackers to find that specific animal and it's spawner (or those of a certain tier, the deadliest requiring much death, wow)

If possible, restrict the number of spawners to create something actually akin to an ecosystem, as well as harvestable plants that can't be grown from Botany (because they're rare, or exotic, or what-have-you. Bonus points if you can make them unidentifiable by anyone but a Botanist or someone with Botany access.) For instance, you could have 3-5 Plant Spawners, 2-4 Blue-Level Spawners (can hurt, but either nonagressive or nonthreatening unless in a swarm), 1-3 Yellow-Level Spawners (monsters that could kill an unprepared or inexperienced single hunter) and 0-2 Red-Level Spawners (monsters that are plain impractical to take on single-handedly, even when armed.)

A secondary way of randomizing plants is to create an event that gives an "unmarked" seed packet that only explains the genus of the plant (algae, fruit, etc), and in growing said plant and getting a seed packet from it, you can get the actual seed packet (Red Algae, Dragonfruit, etc)

Tackling the Botanists-Have-Wood issue is fairly simple- remove the ability to get tower-cap mycelium easily. Removing it's random spawning would go a long way to this, unless it's made very rare, which could also work.

Scientists can gain things from certain mobs but this is mostly held to the whimsy of the RNG, though if this is handled through each mob dropping certain values of all-new tech trees, it can be reasonably standardized. Certain drops could immediately warrant certain items- if you kill a toxic porcupine, this could translate into a quill-gun that works like a rapid-syringe gun but with more shots, loaded with a beaker instead of individually (fill it up to, say, 90u, and it fires 6 quills before empty, etc.)

Stuff like Pheromone Grenades that could attract mobs or cause fever and confusion, free Tricord or "natural remedy" items, etc...

Upgrading the Hunter's Rifles should be possible but done through Security or Research, unless it's something like sharpening a stick and taping it to the barrel (as it's assumed these Hunters are rather self-sustaining, and should have such options. I also suggest a one-barreled shotgun and new slug types.) You could increase melee damage with the weapon much higher with, say, a Kitchen knife, or a Stunbaton, but a Hunter could just as easily create spears to throw or use in combat (that probably break fairly quickly.)

---

Reloading a spent slug is something a Hunter should definitely be able to do as well, though actually making buckshot may be impossible. Possibly a machine of some sort that takes items and empty slugs, and refills them? Unorthodox slugs should totally be possible, but likely not great at damage (Shards of glass, for instance.)

Also, it wouldn't be SS13 without a few potential secrets. Stuff like a Russian Locker, cultist cave paintings, etc...
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #18373 on: August 18, 2014, 08:54:33 pm »

So how are these new features going to change things like botany that can grow tower caps for wood and use the biogenerator for leather goods? Will they be nerfed or just scraped?

I don't really want to remove functionality from botany, but at the same time I don't want the carpenter to have to rely on botany to do his job at all.

As for mobs and mob spawining, maybe have some sort of ranking system for "spawners"? Invisible or indestructable, and each one spawns randomly a single type or from a "tier" of monsters.

That's what I was planning. Gets more dangerous the further into the jungle you go, with random creature spawns.

If possible, restrict the number of spawners to create something actually akin to an ecosystem, as well as harvestable plants that can't be grown from Botany (because they're rare, or exotic, or what-have-you. Bonus points if you can make them unidentifiable by anyone but a Botanist or someone with Botany access.)

Already got randomly generated plants spawning randomly generated fruit (and random amounts thereof) containing random chemicals :D

Scientists can gain things from certain mobs but this is mostly held to the whimsy of the RNG, though if this is handled through each mob dropping certain values of all-new tech trees, it can be reasonably standardized. Certain drops could immediately warrant certain items- if you kill a toxic porcupine, this could translate into a quill-gun that works like a rapid-syringe gun but with more shots, loaded with a beaker instead of individually (fill it up to, say, 90u, and it fires 6 quills before empty, etc.)

I was planning on having mobs have a chance of dropping items that can be scienced. That part of the system I'll flesh out when I get to working on it.

Upgrading the Hunter's Rifles should be possible but done through Security or Research, unless it's something like sharpening a stick and taping it to the barrel (as it's assumed these Hunters are rather self-sustaining, and should have such options. I also suggest a one-barreled shotgun and new slug types.) You could increase melee damage with the weapon much higher with, say, a Kitchen knife, or a Stunbaton, but a Hunter could just as easily create spears to throw or use in combat (that probably break fairly quickly)

Reloading a spent slug is something a Hunter should definitely be able to do as well, though actually making buckshot may be impossible. Possibly a machine of some sort that takes items and empty slugs, and refills them? Unorthodox slugs should totally be possible, but likely not great at damage (Shards of glass, for instance.)

Also, it wouldn't be SS13 without a few potential secrets. Stuff like a Russian Locker, cultist cave paintings, etc...

All these ideas are awesome, and I'll probably implement them, at least in some form.

Liction

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18374 on: August 18, 2014, 10:37:33 pm »

I feel that we really should have a public garden of some sort somewhere on the station. Basically an area with some dirt to grow things in, some random seeds and the most basic things needed to grow things in. We sorta have that already with the illicit growing area in maintenance though that area is rarely used if at all. Maybe we should make it an actual public growing area instead or we could just convert botany to be semi public.
Pages: 1 ... 1223 1224 [1225] 1226 1227 ... 1654