Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1017 1018 [1019] 1020 1021 ... 1654

Author Topic: Space Station 13: Urist McStation  (Read 2117771 times)

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
Re: Space Station 13: Urist McStation
« Reply #15270 on: March 26, 2014, 02:38:34 pm »

I don't really see why that's metagamey. It's a secure area; there's a motion sensor there for a reason.

You are in space. Everyone needs a space suit. Law one is all about not harming humans, so any AI with half a brain should bolt EVA open IMMEDIATELY at round start, if they have Asimov.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #15271 on: March 26, 2014, 02:39:22 pm »

Well, I've read some guides, and I believe I'm ready to try being an engineer.

We're so fucked...
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Nega

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Lizard Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #15272 on: March 26, 2014, 03:06:35 pm »

I'd rather we have Baystation's CORPORATE laws over ASIMOV laws because we are going to have alien races. With ASIMOV laws, the AI could, say, go and randomly off the resident skrell doctor or the Diona researcher because they are /not/ human, and do not have anything in their core laws that restrict this. With a corporate law, anything with an ID or records in the main database are all corporate workers, which includes all the human, skrell, unathi, and diona workers.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #15273 on: March 26, 2014, 03:13:56 pm »

Why do we have the alien races anyway?

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15274 on: March 26, 2014, 03:15:00 pm »

If the station AI kills an alien crewman literally just because they're not human, they should be destroyed. Just saying. Although you could amend Asimov by changing "human" to "crewman" and it being implied that the subject is a crewman of SS13.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #15275 on: March 26, 2014, 03:18:03 pm »

We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15276 on: March 26, 2014, 03:19:15 pm »

If the station AI kills an alien crewmanbeing literally just because they're not human, they should be destroyed. Just saying. Although you could amend Asimov by changing "human" to "crewmanbeing" and it being implied that the subject is a crewmanbeing of SS13.
Crewwomem, crewslime and crewaliens can all get shafted by "crewman".

Nick K

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15277 on: March 26, 2014, 03:21:38 pm »

I don't really see why that's metagamey. It's a secure area; there's a motion sensor there for a reason.

I definitely agree with Hans in that it's deeply weird that EVA is a secure area in a space station - that's presumably to restrict space access for gameplay reasons. That said, you're right that it is a restricted location in-game. I wouldn't consider reporting motion alarms to be metagaming as such - after all metagaming boils down to doing IC things for OOC reasons and there are IC reasons why an AI might report trespassing.
My point is not that it's metagaming, but that the AI calling out trespassing/illegal access/theft when there's no clear risk to crew can make rounds less fun overall because it can make criminal acts excessively difficult for newer or less cautious antag players and fosters an environment where overcautious antags can lead to boring rounds. Lawsets like Paladin don't leave the AI player much choice there because they have to 'punish the guilty'.

I almost never play AI because I can't atmos, but last time I did my policy was to directly confront potentially dangerous criminal behaviour such as illegal armoury access using the holopads but not publicly announce it unless I was directly questioned or it became relevant for preventing harm. Amusingly, it turned out that the criminal who'd stolen the captain's spare ID and trespassed in the armoury and half the other secure areas on station was a non-violent non-antag who was new to our map and was taking advantage of a low pop round to explore the station. In the end, I think they actually stopped the real traitor when they revealed themselves with an esword murder and tried to chuck their victim out an airlock.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15278 on: March 26, 2014, 03:34:16 pm »

I'm gonna go play on the alt until the test server is up again. Mostly because it's REALLY EASY to make yourself an alien on the alt, because facehuggers are technically masks.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #15279 on: March 26, 2014, 03:47:02 pm »

Because even when we were on Urist, people wanted them. People wanted playable Unathi for ages. As someone who would never play as an alien, I think that there is no harm in having them as we do.

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15280 on: March 26, 2014, 03:48:35 pm »

Yeah, I personally would never play them, but if people want to, go for it, who am I to stop you :P

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15281 on: March 26, 2014, 04:13:10 pm »

I definitely agree with Hans in that it's deeply weird that EVA is a secure area in a space station - that's presumably to restrict space access for gameplay reasons. That said, you're right that it is a restricted location in-game. I wouldn't consider reporting motion alarms to be metagaming as such - after all metagaming boils down to doing IC things for OOC reasons and there are IC reasons why an AI might report trespassing.

Space is dangerous. It's dangerous outside. Not everyone on station is fully trained to just go EVA for no reason. People that start with suits in their work place or behind a door they have access to are supposed to be fully trained. They can pull a cook in an EVA suit and the cook will live... maybe. This IS SS13. That doesn't mean lock down EVA. Locking down EVA limits access to people that have a reason to be in there. You announce yourself to the AI, the AI gets an alert and sees it's you, and you both go on with your shift. If I have access then I have a reason to be in there.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #15282 on: March 26, 2014, 04:28:07 pm »

It may also be in part due to the fact that there's only so many spacesuits available, and very much very very empty space you might need protection from in case of emergency. And if you gave Assistant McAirfail all the suits, you might find yourself in a dangerous shortage should they be needed.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #15283 on: March 26, 2014, 04:54:20 pm »

Testing server is up again, IP is the same: byond://131.104.253.194:12345

Come on over and play. It won't be up tomorrow, but it will be up Friday with a special surprise.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 05:00:45 pm by Glloyd »

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15284 on: March 26, 2014, 04:55:46 pm »

Testing server is up again, IP is the same: byond://131.104.253.194:12345

Come on over and play. It won't be up tomorrow, but it will be up Friday with a special surprise.
Special surpriiiiiiiiise?
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
Pages: 1 ... 1017 1018 [1019] 1020 1021 ... 1654