Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1016 1017 [1018] 1019 1020 ... 1654

Author Topic: Space Station 13: Urist McStation  (Read 2117736 times)

Mono124

• Bay Watcher
  • Into the abyss you go!
    • View Profile
Re: Space Station 13: Urist McStation
« Reply #15255 on: March 26, 2014, 12:34:45 pm »

I dunno, to me that sounds interesting and fun.
The issue can also end with the AI refusing to let anyone into their upload for any reason whatsoever because upload access may lead to law changes that will conflict with current laws... even if absolutely nothing is going on in the station like the aforementioned scenario. To be entirely honest it all depends on how much of a dick/how lenient the AI is for that round, and how willing they are to abuse loopholes in the base laws to do whatever they want.
Collin Quay- [145.9]-broadcasts: As a professional doctor, I have to say, dodge the fucking meteors or you will die.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #15256 on: March 26, 2014, 12:38:21 pm »

Eh, anyone can ruin an important role by being a dick. That's not unique to the AI.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #15257 on: March 26, 2014, 12:42:32 pm »

Haven't been on this thread for a bit so this is bringing up an old topic (AI harm-Asimov), but I just wanted to try and justify some aspects. I'll put it in spoilers so people who don't care don't have to look at it.
Spoiler: Can AI's harm people? (click to show/hide)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Also, baylaws for AIs are incredibly unfun. AI should be neutral, not mechanized validhunter.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Mono124

• Bay Watcher
  • Into the abyss you go!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15258 on: March 26, 2014, 12:49:12 pm »

Eh, anyone can ruin an important role by being a dick. That's not unique to the AI.
What is important to the AI is that they can ruin an important role by being a dick and get away with it, at least sometimes. If someone ahelps and is pissed at the AI due to it, say, locking down the upload because it doesn't want anyone uploading laws, the player of the AI can try to justify it by saying that they were just following their laws. We all know it's bullshit 90% of the time and they were being a dick, but they can still say it, and admins will (afaik) be disinclined to discipline them because they don't actually know if the AI is just being an asshole or if they are trying to be serious and don't know better. Both law sets have their pros and cons, and honestly I'm biased because I like BS12's law set so I probably fail to see some of it's cons, but figuring out which one would be better for our purposes and playerbase now will potentially cut down on ruined rounds and mountains of ahelp requests. If things are clear cut where we mean for them to be clear cut and more ambiguous where we mean for AIs to have leeway, it'll stop people playing the "oh well I though I could do that because of law 1" when they abuse the laws.

Mostly related, but deserves it's own area, I think we should make our own lawset instead of using /tg/s or BS12s.
Collin Quay- [145.9]-broadcasts: As a professional doctor, I have to say, dodge the fucking meteors or you will die.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15259 on: March 26, 2014, 12:51:24 pm »

I think the AI should be able to choose from the /tg/ lawsets (Asimov, Corporate, Paladin) at the beginning of the round. Either way, I vote Asimov.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15260 on: March 26, 2014, 12:57:31 pm »

* Iceblaster says Paladin then runs off

Erils

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15261 on: March 26, 2014, 12:57:54 pm »

Haven't been on this thread for a bit so this is bringing up an old topic (AI harm-Asimov), but I just wanted to try and justify some aspects. I'll put it in spoilers so people who don't care don't have to look at it.
Spoiler: Can AI's harm people? (click to show/hide)

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #15262 on: March 26, 2014, 01:02:31 pm »

@Mono124: Generally the whole 'bolting upload at roundstart' thing is not something admins go out of their way to pursue, but to be quite honest, I consider it meta, not accurate roleplay of laws. (Granted, plenty of people roleplay in vastly different ways, so take this all with a grain of salt) I think an AI made by a megacorporation to run it's stations would be aware of the fact that the Research Director and Captain both have access to it's upload, and are, in fact, the only people on station that start with access to it. Logically, you could assume that if they have access, they are trusted enough to be allowed to tamper with the upload, having been intensely screened by Nanotrasen to get the security clearance necessary to enter the upload. Therefore, the Captain and RD should be allowed access at will, because it is their job to ensure the safety and full functionality of the station AI.

But most people put zero thought into any of that and just bolt it immediately because I dun wanna let da trator win. I don't want to try to force my roleplaying style on everyone else, so I just quietly shake my head and do my best IC to make the AI's life a living hell after that. :P
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15263 on: March 26, 2014, 01:14:15 pm »

Doesn't the round start by going on blue alert most of the time? Explicitly warning the AI that something is up and that it should in fact probably bolt it's upload?

Although that said if I was the AI I would unbolt it for the captain and RD.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #15264 on: March 26, 2014, 01:16:23 pm »

Doesn't the round start by going on blue alert most of the time? Explicitly warning the AI that something is up and that it should in fact probably bolt it's upload?

Although that said if I was the AI I would unbolt it for the captain and RD.
It doesn't on Baycode. Which is a good thing, because then the alerts are ACTUALLY USED.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Nick K

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15265 on: March 26, 2014, 02:14:37 pm »

We often have lowish populations - often less than 20 or even 15 in the evening for European timezones. IMO Having an antag-hunter AI in that situation makes rounds worse because with such low populations the AI can keep tabs on all the crew and quickly figure out which are likely to be up to something.
This means you get Antags that are afraid to do antag stuff because the AI will call them out instantly and it's round over if there are security forces present.

Asimov AIs still often act in this way (I see plenty putting the EVA motion alerts onto general comms despite EVA not actually containing anything dangerous) but at least they have the leeway to ignore theft and illegal access. In fact, if an AI knows that a possible punishment for theft is execution then it has a very good reason not to report the thief to security.

Paladin lawsets and other ones that make the AI completely crewsided would make this much worse because the AI would be actively encouraged to antag-hunt and would be allowed to shock doors as well as bolting them, making it much harder for the antags to escape.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15266 on: March 26, 2014, 02:17:12 pm »

I'm pretty sure the EVA thing is automatic because of the motion sensor there.

Nick K

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15267 on: March 26, 2014, 02:22:11 pm »

The AI gets a motion sensor alert automatically yes, but I'm pretty sure that doesn't go out on the radio channel unless the AI player copy-pastes it there.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #15268 on: March 26, 2014, 02:30:52 pm »

The AI gets a motion sensor alert automatically yes, but I'm pretty sure that doesn't go out on the radio channel unless the AI player copy-pastes it there.

This.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15269 on: March 26, 2014, 02:35:55 pm »

I don't really see why that's metagamey. It's a secure area; there's a motion sensor there for a reason.
Pages: 1 ... 1016 1017 [1018] 1019 1020 ... 1654