Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 978 979 [980] 981 982 ... 1654

Author Topic: Space Station 13: Urist McStation  (Read 2117758 times)

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
Re: Space Station 13: Urist McStation
« Reply #14685 on: March 06, 2014, 02:28:29 pm »

So, I was going to hop back on the other day, but I kind of wussied out. I'm curious to know though, are any of the GMs still running events?

Yup, we still hold events fairly often.

rabidgam3r

• Bay Watcher
  • bruh
    • View Profile
« Reply #14686 on: March 06, 2014, 02:29:25 pm »

Outrunning taser bolts was retarded and GOOD RIDDANCE.
It was literally the sole fucking solution for saxxing. Saxxing was caused solely by the insane movement speed, and only reducing the movement speed fixes it.
Also, hyperzine actually has a use now!

Slowdown by other effects can be reduced.
I can't dodge taser shots now? GODDAMNIT!
Even if he hadn't brought the server down in a ball of flaming, slow-mo gibbing corgis

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14687 on: March 06, 2014, 02:29:48 pm »

It was literally the sole fucking solution for saxxing. Saxxing was caused solely by the insane movement speed, and only reducing the movement speed fixes it.

Hyperzine cigar are a go. It's too bad chemist doesn't have much access to get cigars. Do you have to snuff them out or something to refill them or just keep injecting into a lit cigar?

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #14688 on: March 06, 2014, 02:31:52 pm »

So, I was going to hop back on the other day, but I kind of wussied out. I'm curious to know though, are any of the GMs still running events?

And if you're bored, you can always use the Gateway to die horribly explore.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14689 on: March 06, 2014, 03:07:02 pm »

And if you're bored, you can always use the Gateway to sleep at the beach explore.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14690 on: March 06, 2014, 03:25:29 pm »

Hyperzine cigar are a go. It's too bad chemist doesn't have much access to get cigars. Do you have to snuff them out or something to refill them or just keep injecting into a lit cigar?

If you can hack a vending machine, you can get cigars.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #14691 on: March 06, 2014, 03:28:25 pm »

I currently have a PR up to nerf simple_animal speed and to reduce spacesuit slowdown :v

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

rabidgam3r

• Bay Watcher
  • bruh
    • View Profile
« Reply #14692 on: March 06, 2014, 03:44:31 pm »

I currently have a PR up to nerf simple_animal speed and to reduce spacesuit slowdown :v
Nerfing simple animals?
i love you
so much
Even if he hadn't brought the server down in a ball of flaming, slow-mo gibbing corgis

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14693 on: March 06, 2014, 03:45:40 pm »

simple_animals with the same speed as humans are still faster than humans though but that's an inherent problem in their movement code. I'm just juggling vars.
(simple_animals have seperate speed values for computer control and player control ;_;)

they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Nick K

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14694 on: March 06, 2014, 06:12:18 pm »

Was it really the only solution though? I've had a quick brainstorm and come up with some ideas. These are just quick thoughts off the top of my head and doubtless mostly not very good, but a whole community full of intelligent people can surely put their heads together and come up with something? How about:

- Instead of slowing movement, dramatically speed up projectiles
- Increase the availability/usefulness of AOE stuns - saxing isn't useful against a flashbang.
- Some sort of middle ground between the powerful but tricky to use flashbang and the taser. For example a taser-type projectile that explodes when it get adjacent to someone with a radius-1 stun. That way firing down the centre of a 3-tile hallway would be undodgable.
- Homing projectiles. Maybe require the shooter to actually click on the target (to prevent spamming like a ninja can do) but then have the projectile home in on them. It may sound OP, but if the intent is to make it impossible to dodge a projectile then essentially what you want is a 'first shot = first stun' situation.

If these are all rubbish ideas and no-one can come up with better ones, then maybe slowing movement is the only option. But why slow movement for everyone? Why not experiment with ways to slow it only in combat situations?

For example, you could add a new item to sec that can be toggled with a UI icon like flashlights. When active it slows down everyone including the user within a certain distance (or maybe in LOS). Make it available to antags via cargo/R&D/uplinks as well. That way the sec player can click the 'slowdown device' icon when they want to make an arrest and don't want dodging, but keep it off for normal movement. Plus, I suspect people will still be able to dodge tasers to some extent even with a 1-point slowdown - this would allow you to implement higher slowdowns for combat that would be unacceptable for normal movement.

Pwnzerfaust

• Bay Watcher
  • It's evolution, baby!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14695 on: March 06, 2014, 07:51:41 pm »

Movement speed is ridiculous, though. For a game that's supposed to be RP-centric, having people running everywhere like fucking Usain Bolt is just nonsense.
Give an elf a fire and he's warm for a night. Drop an elf in magma and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14696 on: March 06, 2014, 07:53:50 pm »

Movement speed is ridiculous, though. For a game that's supposed to be RP-centric, having people running everywhere like fucking Usain Bolt is just nonsense.
The alternative is having to spend minutes and minutes trudging across the station though. There's a lot of stuff on the station maps and it makes them really big.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Nightscar982

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14697 on: March 06, 2014, 11:30:41 pm »

Trying to play on bay with enforced walk is slow as fuck.
In all things you were. In nothing you become.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #14698 on: March 06, 2014, 11:55:14 pm »

Let us all agree to never let me set up the sing as an assistant.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14699 on: March 07, 2014, 05:05:54 am »

Slowdown item is a rubbish idea for sure. People will be out of range before you can activate it.
Projectiles are already so fast that making them faster would make them hitscan.
Good luck clicking on somebody running around at 500 mph.
AoE stuns and special detector projectiles would be too powerful.

As I said, saxxing was caused by the ridiculous runspeed, so nerfing the runspeed solves it. It also gives previously useless things like hyperzine a use.

Pages: 1 ... 978 979 [980] 981 982 ... 1654