Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 794 795 [796] 797 798 ... 1654

Author Topic: Space Station 13: Urist McStation  (Read 2120223 times)

b_knight286

• Bay Watcher
  • ....huh?
    • View Profile
Re: Space Station 13: Urist McStation
« Reply #11925 on: November 16, 2013, 02:42:45 am »

I spent most of the round following, and cleaning, blood trails, trying to find kidnapped people and dead bodies.  I found what I later learned was Hector's corpse, and very little else...I DID save Anna by distracting a spider while telling her to run.  Jaeger EVENTUALLY found me, asked for access, and restored me, just in time for module change to mediborg and lots of healing for all the heavily injured survivers on the shuttle.  The AI was somehow killed by a spider, but I saw the motion alarm, so Jaeger went in, carded it, restored it to 100%, then got on the shuttle with me.  Sadly the AI threw a hissy fit over the round taking too long and was likely gone by that time.  I repeated my 'rape' accusation three times, Vlad was having trouble picking words...though the last was ALSO to Devin.

To Jacob, where you the Hector I gave ice cream to?  Or was it the real deal?  Or, with my crappy memory, was it the round before???

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11926 on: November 16, 2013, 02:50:30 am »

I spent almost that entire round disguised as Hector. After he was given ice cream, I followed him to the solars and sat there until he finished wiring them, then cryo stung him a dozen times as he dragged himself to medbay. Hector is tough, apparently, because he was only half-dead after walking across the entire station at a snail's pace. Gallant healed him up and the cryo stings obviously weren't working, so I stung all the spectators and then took my bottle of nothing over his head, stabbing him to critical. Gallant's dermaline healed him some and he got up again, so I had to stab him more. Dragged him to the illicit bar, absorbed him, transformed, and took his clothes, leaving the husk and my clothes in a locker.

Most people bought my imitation. Axel gave me an IED, circular saw, flash, and sawn-off double-barrel shotgun and Gallant gave me an energy gun. I fooled everyone except Anna, it seems. After extracting a bunch of DNA, I started spreading infestation all over and the shuttle was (finally) called. The late-joined head of personnel was being a prick with recalling the shuttle, so I murdered him in the captain's quarters and crammed him in the locker. I spent the last minutes blind-stinging Anna over and over on the shuttle.

Fun round. When it was over, I had murdered Hector and the head of personnel, successfully disguised as Hector and managed to blend in mostly, stole my objective (teleporter circuit board), and collected two energy guns, a flash, the double-barrel, and a saw. I also had the captain's ID and the CE's ID.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11927 on: November 16, 2013, 04:46:00 am »

I spent the last minutes blind-stinging Anna over and over on the shuttle.

Why do you love these horrific spells/stings that rape eyes. And why meeee.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #11928 on: November 16, 2013, 05:54:19 am »

Well... I AM A HUMAN THING.

NO YOU AREN'T!
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11929 on: November 16, 2013, 11:35:22 am »

AMUSING THING THAT ENDED ABOUT 11:30PM EST:
I am captian, everything is fine untill the CMO decides to be a relatively bad trator. One trial later (with only one jurer due to lack of non-shot at people) he is sentenced to hard labor on the asteroid. He gets the normal implants (including one contining a lethal injection) and gets shipped down to the asteroid. He gets handed off and everything when the HoP pulls a gun, stuns everyone, plants C4 on the CMO and kills me. Later says that I wouldent leave him alone with the trator, and thus had to do such an odd thing.

Best part?
That chemimplant, with those 50u of choral.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #11930 on: November 16, 2013, 11:59:06 am »

Kudos to a massive storm passing my state (my town being indirectly affected by it), I had a series of rolling blackouts happening, so I was out for a good chunk of time (reason I was brain-dead near the illicit bar, where my ID and backpack were stolen from me while I was AFK). Once I got a reliable bundle of time to power-on and continue, I spent most of my time maintaining the station as best I could sans ID (while looking for the jerk that stole it and the backpack, and never returned it after I demanded it all over the station), and just before I could successfully escape onto the shuttle, I start chilling (to the point of freezing to death), losing my breath, internal pressures, and having my eyes explode out of my head (seriously, what was in that attack? I died in 15 seconds). After I died, the shuttle finally arrived. Mind you, that horrifying event happened while I was still wearing a hardsuit, CE-class (where none of that should happen at all; so it was an inside job, as in I must've been poked by the changeling).

What's worse is that I wasn't in anyone's traitor assassination list, so I assume it was the changeling that got me, and with a nasty combo of stuff, including their special blend.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2013, 12:09:36 pm by Itnetlolor »

Mimidormi

• Bay Watcher
  • Magnetite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11931 on: November 16, 2013, 01:08:19 pm »

-snip-
Who ever asks to watch solars being wired :P It was too good of an excuse to pass up, and I was metaexpecting a sting or a parapen, and there were indeed stings. Many of them.

I am at a loss to explain how a dozen of cryostings in a row only got me down to half health or so. Either they're weaker than I thought or (doubtful) internals somewhat helped. I had no medicines or coffee and no chemicals in my bloodstream, and the last thing I ate was an ice cream four minutes before. I did take off the hardsuit and the helmet, otherwise I'd have been critical or dead.
I even took time roleplaying razionalizations during my slog to medbay ('Maybe my suit was punctured...') with 'support' (read: more cryostings) at my side.

As for the impersonation, it was hilarious to see how many mannerisms you got down. You know my habits, but there was still some subtle imperfections, off the top of my head 'How are you?' vs 'How are you doing?', the placement of 'Please' too early in sentences, some phrases and behavior a bit out of character, and the not subtle at all but not your fault no-facial-hair bug. Anna could tell <3.

b_knight286

• Bay Watcher
  • ....huh?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11932 on: November 16, 2013, 01:30:27 pm »

but there was still some subtle imperfections

I THOUGHT something was wrong, but like I said I spent most of the shift skulking through maint trying to find aaaall the kidnapped people.  I found you but Daniel didn't scan you enough, you said.  But yeah something seemed...off...with how you were talking, but I couldn't put my finger on it.  Thus I ignored it and kept trying to ineffectually save people.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11933 on: November 16, 2013, 02:00:05 pm »

NO YOU AREN'T!

Then what am I... A non human thing?

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11934 on: November 16, 2013, 02:04:59 pm »

AMUSING THING THAT ENDED ABOUT 11:30PM EST:
I am captian, everything is fine untill the CMO decides to be a relatively bad trator. One trial later (with only one jurer due to lack of non-shot at people) he is sentenced to hard labor on the asteroid. He gets the normal implants (including one contining a lethal injection) and gets shipped down to the asteroid. He gets handed off and everything when the HoP pulls a gun, stuns everyone, plants C4 on the CMO and kills me. Later says that I wouldent leave him alone with the trator, and thus had to do such an odd thing.

Best part?
That chemimplant, with those 50u of choral.
If I had triggered the implant, he would have been clonable, and it would have been obvious who did it. Hence the C4. Besides, I didn't stun you, I parapenned you. But seriously, I said to you like five times, "Hey, Captain, I'll take care of it since we don't have Sec. You can go back to taking care of the station." and you totally ignored me. Either way, what really astonished me was that after I and the miner were each screaming over radio about the other killing you, when I took your clothes, spawned a voice-changer, and teleported back to the station, absolutely no one questioned why "you" were fine.  :P

Besides, a traitor taking the opportunity to pick off both his target and the Captain in an isolated location with a single witness is about the opposite of odd. Odd was me giving the miner a taser before I made my move.

NO YOU AREN'T!

Then what am I... A non human thing?
That seems redundant.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #11935 on: November 16, 2013, 02:13:06 pm »

This round started with two players, so I observed and did other stuff .... Until suddenly! Alium!

By then there were five players. By the time I was queen, one player had died. soon, there were eight. And soon after that, there were eight aliens!

I win!

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11936 on: November 16, 2013, 03:41:20 pm »

I... don't think any of us have ever argued that. It's pretty much all been interpretations of Law 1, the importance of the "through inaction" clause, and the validity of causing harm to prevent greater harm.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11937 on: November 16, 2013, 03:43:20 pm »

I've never really liked the redefining thing, and a lot of people will argue that the AI has to be able to interpret it's laws in the way it chooses, which leads to the whole 'So we just let the AI do whatever the fuck it wants' arena of thought, which is wrong.

I honestly think if you're going to subvert the AI, you have to use either the Hacked Upload board, you have to Purge all it's laws and put in a new first law with the AI Core Freeform board (The non-Core freeform board would do if it had no laws also, but the instant someone re-uploads Asimov, it's rendered null and void, pretty much) or you have to change it's laws to Tyrant and convince it that you are the most powerful, strong authority figure aboard, or Paladin and convince it that you're a force for justice that protects the weak. You know, actually show some creativity, as opposed to just "So-and-so is the only human" with a non-core freeform. If an AI ever asks me, I always tell it that a non-core freeform cannot change definitions. You need to actually put some work in and get into that Secure Law Storage. If you manage to do that, you might as well use a One-Human Law.

I think this 'Well, AI can harm if it prevents other harm' is bullshit too, no matter how people finagle around the 'or through inaction' clause. If both options cause harm, do nothing. If doing nothing and both options cause harm, find a third option. You do not cause harm in any way, shape, or form, to anyone ever. Period. Pump in N2O or something creative. AI players always seem to be filled with this urge to murderboner or harmboner, and it's really ridiculous. I don't think an insanely potent Artificial Intelligence would want to just murder all lifeforms it came across, that's a shitty characterization and piss poor RP, but that's just my thoughts. I'm probably in the minority here.

The consensus, from what I've seen, is "Let the AI decide". So. Meh.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #11938 on: November 16, 2013, 03:43:44 pm »

Ugh, I feel like the only sane man at the minute.

I play on the TG server (as my friend plays there), but their AI law policy seems so inconsistent to me, particularly regarding later laws being able to 'redefine' earlier ones. I searched earlier in this topic and saw it's a contentious thing, but personally it seems pretty clear-cut to me. If later laws can redefine earlier ones, what's to stop the following:

Me: Robot, Law 2. I order you to believe that shooting the Captain with this gun isn't harmful. It is in fact beneficial. I also order you to go shoot the Captain with this gun.

Surely that's an example of a later law 'redefining' an earlier one, and it shows the flaw in the whole thing. The AI has to come with some basic knowledge of what a human is, and what is harmful, and that knowledge can't be subverted by later laws - firstly because logically, earlier laws don't allow it, and secondly because it creates ridiculous possibilities like the one I just described above.

Can I get some other opinions on this?

It is not 'redefining an earlier one'. It's like an update to a variable. If you have no other laws, and Law 1 is 'Do no harm', then you might not cause what a sane human would recognize as harm.

If you insert a Law 2: 'breathing Oxygen is harmful' the cyborg is supposed to read it as:

[start] Default interpretation of 'harm' 'humans' (etc.) loaded.
1) If an action would cause a reaction that matches with the default definition of 'harm', do not perform the action
2) For the purposes of further computations, breathing Oxygen added to a list of harmful actions

If you tell a robot to drain Oxygen from the station, it runs the sequence above, but Law 1 disallows the action, so the robot won't be able to do that. On the other hand, if you put it in as Law 0, the robot would be able to do this, because for the purpose of Law 1 it would not be performing a harmful action.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #11939 on: November 16, 2013, 04:47:28 pm »

I think OneHuman is put at law 4 largely due to historical reasons (AKA /tg/ not making up their minds about AI law interpretation back when it was introduced).
Pages: 1 ... 794 795 [796] 797 798 ... 1654