Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 749 750 [751] 752 753 ... 1654

Author Topic: Space Station 13: Urist McStation  (Read 2122058 times)

Sixteen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Space Station 13: Urist McStation
« Reply #11250 on: October 29, 2013, 05:58:58 pm »

Oh man, nostalgia. NSV Luna, and its engine vent port, eater of astronauts. I actually thought it worked pretty well, just that it was impossible to look up or down. Atmos worked fine in 3d if I remember correctly, with floors and ceilings containing the air (not that it did for the first few days of the map). I think the problem that led to it being replaced was either meteors wrecking ceilings undetectably or the map being too large for the amount of players we had.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11251 on: October 29, 2013, 06:02:48 pm »

GET ON THE SERVER GAWDDAMMIT
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #11252 on: October 29, 2013, 07:37:12 pm »

Twelve or so players on right now, get on so we can start running decent pop rounds.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11253 on: October 29, 2013, 07:41:36 pm »

Holy shiiiit.

Alfred MOTHERFUCKING RICHARDSON.

Trusting magical corgis, cause FUCK IT.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.

Kydrasz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11254 on: October 29, 2013, 09:07:53 pm »

Place four people in the thunder dome, two with admin powers. Hilarity ensues.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 09:10:41 pm by Kydrasz »
Fall seven times, stand up eight.
Spoiler: Inspirational words (click to show/hide)

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11255 on: October 29, 2013, 09:28:09 pm »

Why is your color scheme so ugly?
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Kydrasz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11256 on: October 29, 2013, 09:49:19 pm »

Opinions opinions. I use this one because it stands out more in dark areas. That and I absolutely hate retro.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 09:51:23 pm by Kydrasz »
Fall seven times, stand up eight.
Spoiler: Inspirational words (click to show/hide)

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11257 on: October 29, 2013, 11:45:22 pm »

Opinions opinions. I use this one because it stands out more in dark areas. That and I absolutely hate retro.

>.> Mine is exactly the same but blue. Dunno what you mean by retro.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Nienhaus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11258 on: October 29, 2013, 11:49:31 pm »

>.> Mine is exactly the same but blue. Dunno what you mean by retro.
There are 3 kinds I think. Retro is like the one from around 2009 when I started playing.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #11259 on: October 30, 2013, 12:38:34 am »

They tried it long ago. Atmo killed it.
you can still find old maps for it sometimes.
Baystation had multi-level stations for a reasonably long time. I have only heard tales of them though.
Yeah. The Luna map had multiple levels. It was surprisingly good. I can't remember if decompression worked across the levels, though.

Speaking of which, someone should change the decompression speed to whatever it was on the luna map, at least for a while as a test.

It's just so.... silly that there can be a giant hole in the station and nobody even really cares and half the time it never gets fixed because it takes forever for the air to run out. People use the firelocks to contain (mostly) harmless space vines more often then they use them to seal breached areas.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

wlerin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11260 on: October 30, 2013, 01:00:36 am »

Spiders. That is all.
...And no one notices that a desert titan is made out of ice. No, ice capybara in the desert? Normal. Someone kinda figured out the military? Amazing!

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11261 on: October 30, 2013, 01:08:30 am »

BEST.
MOTHERFUCKING.
ROUND.
EVER.

I wanted to stumble over to blake, take the bomb from his dead body, and be like, This is it, blake. Time to blow this shit. Then set off the bomb.

However, I only made to standing next to him before I died. I like to imagine I simply collapsed near him, smiled, then died.
find th
Our plan was to blow up the AI chamber, then go find the nuke and activate that, thus ending us.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.

Mono124

• Bay Watcher
  • Into the abyss you go!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11262 on: October 30, 2013, 01:24:17 am »

Baystation had multi-level stations for a reasonably long time. I have only heard tales of them though.
Yeah. The Luna map had multiple levels. It was surprisingly good. I can't remember if decompression worked across the levels, though.

Speaking of which, someone should change the decompression speed to whatever it was on the luna map, at least for a while as a test.

It's just so.... silly that there can be a giant hole in the station and nobody even really cares and half the time it never gets fixed because it takes forever for the air to run out. People use the firelocks to contain (mostly) harmless space vines more often then they use them to seal breached areas.
Ah yes, Luna. The good old days. Back when we had multiple z levels for a ship. Back when you used to have to excite strange matter and it would fill a hold with plasma for engineering. Back when I would play engineer, run into an area without atmospherics to fix it, only to find that it was a hole in the ceiling that was causing the leak. Back when the topmost level had no ceiling, but you could get sucked down onto the ground floors and take a nice hefty amount of damage if you happened to be near a breach in the floor. Back when they never fixed atmospherics (as far as I know) to make it actually work with multi z level maps, so engineering had to set up atmospherics multiple times. Back when you could abuse bugs with flaps the QM used to deliver goods using robots, and you could gain access to ANYWHERE without an ID, as long as it had cargo access. Back when an atmospheric breach would kill you, sometimes even if you DID have internals, due to slamming into a wall. When pro traitors could kill the station in 2 minutes, and noob traitors couldn't kill the station if they tried their hardest, at least without getting toolboxed...

Before that we had the good old donut map! Yes, that abomination! It had ONE long hallway without firelocks or airlocks, and if a window smashed in escape hall, you WOULD get sucked the entire length of the hallway towards it, with little chance of escape before you were killed... unless you were in a closet, in which case you were invulnerable to damn near everything. It also had features such as: lack of any sort of engine (power was SMES units gifted from Armok(actually, there was an engine until it somehow broke in the code... it was pretty cool, one of the old "throw a million O2 and plasma canisters into a giant hold with thermal pipes, light on fire, use heat exchange unit for power" engines), lack of any atmospherics piping system, a (for quite some time) limitless bomb system, where it was possible with 1 bomb to wipe the entire z level of everything except closets and a few token items, and overall, the fact that it was before the goon port. The important part of this is the "before the goon port", where everything was 2D, not isometric, and most people couldn't code for shit because the code was a huge mess, and impossible to untangle.
edit: Also a feature... the lack of cloning. If y'all didn't know, at one point, cloning was done by turning someone into a monkey, and then turning them back into a human. It gave them full health, and had no ill effects. "Cloning" was, at one point, banned, on almost every server. This was also way before cyborgs and such, so death was permanent, until round restart.

Luna was slightly after we had the goon port, so the code was much easier (though still shitty) to tangle with, which is why they tried to make multiple z levels work, but it never quite actually worked. It would have required a complete rewrite (as far as I know, this is what the oolllldddd coders told me it needed anyway) of the power system, atmospherics system (airflow and piping), which is crazy, as well as rewriting a bunch of other stuff to make it compatible. Most of the features that were deemed innovative to the server were placeholders, and after a few rounds, you could tell that everything didn't work quite like it should have, and some things were horribly broken depending on your job. A medic might not notice anything wrong with power except that it is going out, and then yell at an engineer. The engineer, in the meantime, is attempting to find what is wrong, only to find out that someone bombed one of the irreparable access points where wires stretched z levels. Oops.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 01:27:25 am by Mono124 »
Collin Quay- [145.9]-broadcasts: As a professional doctor, I have to say, dodge the fucking meteors or you will die.

Sixteen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11263 on: October 30, 2013, 02:53:10 am »

Hey man, been a while. Sorry if I'm derailing the thread, but the nostalgia's too strong for me not to post.
edit: Also a feature... the lack of cloning. If y'all didn't know, at one point, cloning was done by turning someone into a monkey, and then turning them back into a human. It gave them full health, and had no ill effects. "Cloning" was, at one point, banned, on almost every server. This was also way before cyborgs and such, so death was permanent, until round restart.
Fun fact: Genetics used to use punchcard items to increase target block and set the desired value (not that anything could be done besides colors).

More fun facts/bugs (I think they've been fixed by now):
  • Temperature increased exponentially when a air siphon was turned on in a 1x1 box. Led to fun times with the entire station falling over dead if a can was opened
  • Items became banished to pocketspace if you were holding something and changed the channel of a radio on the ground, which put it in your hand slot. It could never be stripped and could be accessed at any time
  • The engine as a whole could be ejected
  • Admin command: Grillify - turned every floor(and void) into electrified grilles
  • Yellow gloves made you invulnerable to fire
  • The old Bay12 coders were working on networking (a whole packet system that, last I saw, could signal an individual blastdoor to open or close). Dunno what happened to that.
  • Admin summoning was done via editing the hand variable to the person you wanted then throwing them. I'm guessing some previous update broke it and the dev (Lorden at the time) never got around to fixing it.

Also, technically everything from donut station on was a goon port, just the first group (Persh and Lorden) added stuff like ambient temperature, a bit of a gap after they released the code (1st bay12 server), then another wave of goon with the new character icons, etc.

Typing all this out made me realize how long its been since I last played, left a bit after a huge dev/host/admin drama, wanted to get back in but then college apps happened. Maybe I'll get back on sometime.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #11264 on: October 30, 2013, 03:24:38 am »

Actually, the entire engine being able to be ejected is old as fuck. I've played a few oldstation rounds recently and it was there.

Breaches drain atmosphere quickly enough.

And Luna used a completely different atmos system. (ZAS, we use LINDA)

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.
Pages: 1 ... 749 750 [751] 752 753 ... 1654