Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 717 718 [719] 720 721 ... 1654

Author Topic: Space Station 13: Urist McStation  (Read 2117710 times)

Damiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Space Station 13: Urist McStation
« Reply #10770 on: October 16, 2013, 11:45:01 am »

I want to go over the incident that happened yesterday, and I also am appealing my formal warning.  It might sound dumb, but what I was formally warned for has, at least so far, never been against the rules.

Yesterday, I played a round as CE, and at a certain point in the round, the lawyer asked me to meet him in a maintenance hallway. He then attempted to shoot me with a gyrojet pistol.  He knocked himself down, I stunned him, and cuffed him, and dragged him to sec. On the way there, I called into the radio several times for a sec officer to meet me at the brig.  I also found an e-mag on him, which I described over the radio as a hacked ID card.

When I got there, I put him in a cell and stripped him down, and again, called for sec several times.  Eventually a passing sec officer put 1 minute on the timer and walked away without even listening to what happened.

At this point the lawyer started mocking me, saying nobody cared that he had tried to kill me, and it was clear he was just going to walk free, I figured since he had gone out of his way to try to kill me once, he'd probably do it again.  At this point, the only way for me to be safe, and not murdered, was to take matters into my own hands. So I dragged him out of sec, shoved him in a locker, and tossed him into the singularity.

EDIT: To clarify, when I tossed him into the singulo, there were 5 minutes left on the shuttle countdown. So the round was almost over anyway

At that point I was contacted by an admin, informed I was not allowed to kill as a non-antag under any circumstances (Even though the rules right at the beginning clearly state self defensive killing is allowed).  I was then given a formal warning, meaning if I am warned again I will be banned.

I say it was still self defense because I had no way to secure this guy, and there were mad vending machines running around, so there was no guarantee I could keep him from getting away, and coming back for me.  Since I didn't want to get murdered, I did what seemed like the only way to guarantee my own safety.
I made every attempt to do this the right way, and due to an insane situation with the vending machines, on top of a HoP and sec team who were useless, I had to take extreme measures to keep him from coming back and killing me.

Now, I've been killed as an antag by non-captains after failed murder attempts, and lesser offenses, many, many times, and I figured, hey, that's how it goes. Just on sunday, after failing to kill someone who I had a murder objective for, I was beaten to death and spaced by the clown.  There were plenty of admins on then, but nobody said a word about it. (and I did mention it in OOC, saying I definitely deserved it after setting the clown on fire). 

So do all the admins agree that I broke the rules here? Is it really against the rules to kill someone in situation where I legitimately feared for my own life, from someone who had clearly shown they were out to kill me?

If not, I want my warning repealed, because if some other sore loser goes and adminhelps after they try and fail to kill me, I don't want to automatically look like the bad guy because I have a warning on my record.  Either way, I really want some consistency here.  Some admins say antags can't kill if they don't have a specific objective, other admin say if someone kills Ian or reads WGW, they can be killed by anyone. 
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 11:58:50 am by Damiac »

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #10771 on: October 16, 2013, 11:59:00 am »

I want to go over the incident that happened yesterday, and I also am appealing my formal warning.  It might sound dumb, but what I was formally warned for has, at least so far, never been against the rules.

Yesterday, I played a round as CE, and at a certain point in the round, the lawyer asked me to meet him in a maintenance hallway. He then attempted to shoot me with a gyrojet pistol.  He knocked himself down, I stunned him, and cuffed him, and dragged him to sec. On the way there, I called into the radio several times for a sec officer to meet me at the brig.  I also found an e-mag on him, which I described over the radio as a hacked ID card.

When I got there, I put him in a cell and stripped him down, and again, called for sec several times.  Eventually a passing sec officer put 1 minute on the timer and walked away without even listening to what happened.

At this point the lawyer started mocking me, saying nobody cared that he had tried to kill me, and it was clear he was just going to walk free, I figured since he had gone out of his way to try to kill me once, he'd probably do it again.  At this point, the only way for me to be safe, and not murdered, was to take matters into my own hands. So I dragged him out of sec, shoved him in a locker, and tossed him into the singularity.

At that point I was contacted by an admin, informed I was not allowed to kill as a non-antag under any circumstances (Even though the rules right at the beginning clearly state self defensive killing is allowed).  I was then given a formal warning, meaning if I am warned again I will be banned.

I say it was still self defense because I had no way to secure this guy, and there were mad vending machines running around, so there was no guarantee I could keep him from getting away, and coming back for me.  Since I didn't want to get murdered, I did what seemed like the only way to guarantee my own safety.
I made every attempt to do this the right way, and due to an insane situation with the vending machines, on top of a HoP and sec team who were useless, I had to take extreme measures to keep him from coming back and killing me.

Now, I've been killed as an antag by non-captains after failed murder attempts, and lesser offenses, many, many times, and I figured, hey, that's how it goes. Just on sunday, after failing to kill someone who I had a murder objective for, I was beaten to death and spaced by the clown.  There were plenty of admins on then, but nobody said a word about it. (and I did mention it in OOC, saying I definitely deserved it after setting the clown on fire). 

So do all the admins agree that I broke the rules here? Is it really against the rules to kill someone in situation where I legitimately feared for my own life, from someone who had clearly shown they were out to kill me?

If not, I want my warning repealed, because if some other sore loser goes and adminhelps after they try and fail to kill me, I don't want to automatically look like the bad guy because I have a warning on my record.  Either way, I really want some consistency here.  Some admins say antags can't kill if they don't have a specific objective, other admin say if someone kills Ian or reads WGW, they can be killed by anyone.

If you like, I can discuss my justification for the warning over PM, and explain my rationale to you there, instead of on the forum.

jhxmt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10772 on: October 16, 2013, 12:46:50 pm »

So, as a fairly n00bish engineer, I just want to check that I'm not completely screwing up when I try and set up the singularity engine and/or SMESes.  Wise advice here (as opposed to blatant sabotaging advice :P) is much appreciated.

1) When the singularity is up and running, at which point should it be made stable (i.e. Particle Accelerator turned back to zero but left with power on)?  I've been following the /tg/station guide here, and have therefore been stopping when the singularity is 'stage 3' (see image below), but I want to check that that's the right time to dial it back - not earlier or later.  I did note that at that point the singularity's gravity starts to shift some of the loose objects next to the Particle Accelerator i.e. screwdrivers and wirecutters.

2) SMES setup.  My understanding is that the Input value is the minimum input - i.e. the SMES in question will charge if and only if it is receiving an amount of power greater than that value.  Setting higher values makes the SMES try to draw more power, and so will charge faster, but only if there is power available.  The output value is self explanatory.

I've noticed that the SMESes' charging is rather...unstable immediately after the singularity goes online.  I assume this is because if all three of them are on max input (200k) then they're all trying to draw that amount...and they can't all get it at once.  This usually seems to result in one of the SMESes being favoured over the others and getting up to full charge, while at least one of the others doesn't get enough juice and so fails to charge at all.  That SMES then drains, so its output flicks off, so a greater burden is put on the remaining ones.

Am I right in thinking that, early on (when the SMESes are relatively low on stored power), it makes sense to try and keep the inputs slightly lower and balanced, so that they can all charge equally rather than one hogging all the juice?  Or does it not work that way?  I'm aware the guide I linked above suggests 200k input and 140k-160k output for each (main) SMES, but it doesn't go into detail as to why.

Solars and their SMESes are, I'm aware, a different animal, and I'm comfortable with them.

All advice gratefully received!  :)
Quote from: beefsupreme
Try slaughtering a ton of animals, meat makes less decisions than animals.

Why Your Ramps Don't Work
How To Breach A Volcano Safely

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #10773 on: October 16, 2013, 12:52:44 pm »

Tip: ALWAYS fill the plasma tanks up to max. They'll last about 14 hours if you fill them up completely and make much more power.
If you fill up your plasma tanks, set input to max. I usually set output to 160k or whatever it was.
If you fill up your plasma tanks, there's not much of a difference between the stage you linked in an image and the stage just below that since the SMESs can only take so much power.

I always set ALL the SMESs to max input right after setting up the singulo. Fluctuating power levels matter little, as long as the people on the other side of the SMESs get power.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10774 on: October 16, 2013, 01:01:19 pm »

Singu at purple? Leave it for another 20 seconds before turning down to 0. Max input SMES's and maybe 150k output. Don't worry about fluctuations unless the lights turn out across the station. Solars are a different matter entirely.  70k input and 50k output is fine. Once the station turns and you get 70k then the SMES will charge. At 69k it won't charge. It'll max at 90k so you'll get a fair amount of time from 70k to 90k to 70k for charging.

Kydrasz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10775 on: October 16, 2013, 02:58:20 pm »

My advice for the trade:
-Red(second stage) works just as well as purple(third stage) with the benefit of having more reaction time to sabotage (but extremely paranoid in my opinion)
-The station consumes around 150k-280k energy so it's fine to set two of the SMES's to 150k and turn it off the third one. Always max input if you filled the tanks.
-Solars for me work best at 80k input and 50k output. Never 90k though because it takes ridiculously long for it charge. Just noticed you said you're comfortable with them.
-Also as a reminder never ditch your hardsuit, it doesn't matter whether Singulo or antags are chasing you, losing it will probably screw you over somehow.
Fall seven times, stand up eight.
Spoiler: Inspirational words (click to show/hide)

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10776 on: October 16, 2013, 03:03:26 pm »

My advice for the trade:

-Also as a reminder never ditch your hardsuit, it doesn't matter whether Singulo or antags are chasing you, losing it will probably screw you over somehow.

Only take off your hardsuit if you need to run. Never ever let it out of your grasp.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10777 on: October 16, 2013, 03:11:30 pm »

* Iceblaster looks directly into the Singularity.

Fuck.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10778 on: October 16, 2013, 03:12:25 pm »

My advice for the trade:
-Red(second stage) works just as well as purple(third stage) with the benefit of having more reaction time to sabotage (but extremely paranoid in my opinion)
-The station consumes around 150k-280k energy so it's fine to set two of the SMES's to 150k and turn it off the third one. Always max input if you filled the tanks.
-Solars for me work best at 80k input and 50k output. Never 90k though because it takes ridiculously long for it charge. Just noticed you said you're comfortable with them.

haha nope

wire the solar smeses directly into the power grid, charge them up from the singuloth (which is supposed to be wired directly into the grid too) and keep it as battery power (you can cut it back in case you need to make the solars work for some reason) or just do it as i do and set every smes to 200k input 199k output and fry the assistants dead with a jolt a little under 1.4 gigawatts

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10779 on: October 16, 2013, 03:16:50 pm »

My advice for the trade:

haha nope

wire the solar smeses directly into the power grid, charge them up from the singuloth (which is supposed to be wired directly into the grid too) and keep it as battery power (you can cut it back in case you need to make the solars work for some reason) or just do it as i do and set every smes to 200k input 199k output and fry the assistants dead with a jolt a little under 1.4 gigawatts

No, you shouldn't wire the singularity directly to the grid. Then you can be tried for murder when someone tries to hack something, exactly like it would be in reality.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Kydrasz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10780 on: October 16, 2013, 03:17:16 pm »

My advice for the trade:

haha nope

It'll be quite shocking when hackers hit the electric wire and find themselves in crit.

..... I'm sorry I'll go space myself now.

jhxmt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10781 on: October 16, 2013, 03:21:40 pm »

Thanks all - useful advice!  I noticed that I'd been neglecting to fully fill the plasma tanks (I was always playing as station engineer with no chief engineer in sight to open up secure storage for me), which probably accounted for a lot of the issues I was causing encountering!  :P

I just had my first introduction to the joys (?) of the welder round.  *shudders*
Quote from: beefsupreme
Try slaughtering a ton of animals, meat makes less decisions than animals.

Why Your Ramps Don't Work
How To Breach A Volcano Safely

Kydrasz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10782 on: October 16, 2013, 03:22:58 pm »

Thanks all - useful advice!  I noticed that I'd been neglecting to fully fill the plasma tanks (I was always playing as station engineer with no chief engineer in sight to open up secure storage for me), which probably accounted for a lot of the issues I was causing encountering!  :P

I just had my first introduction to the joys (?) of the welder round.  *shudders*
There's two options to fix this.
1)Ask someone with access (boring!)
2)Or you can disable power to equipment and crowbar open the blast door thingys.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10783 on: October 16, 2013, 03:24:58 pm »

It'll be quite shocking when hackers hit the electric wire and find themselves in crit.

..... I'm sorry I'll go space myself now.
It'll ground those assistants in reality, for sure. I need to do that one round as a traitor CE, if only because it hertz the swarm of locusts known as the "Grey Tide" and their cheap yellow gloves.

I'm about to give myself brain damage with these puns. I'll stop now. :P

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10784 on: October 16, 2013, 03:31:29 pm »

Watt are you talking about?

[pun][/pun]

I'll stop now :P
Pages: 1 ... 717 718 [719] 720 721 ... 1654